When to say no to your heart
Want to rescue a pup!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mummzy

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

So we bumped into our neighbour today who was out walking (getting dragged) by this most beautiful white pure bred white German Shepherd pup. He said he arrived from Victoria on Wednesday and the dog wasn't compatible with his daughters other dog and they just weren't getting along. The neighbour said he can't keep it because they are going away for 3 weeks. Also the dog only 7 months old is massive bigger then my full 2 grown border collies and very strong. It nearly knocked my neighbour to the ground when meeting my 2 dogs. Bing an older person he isn't certain he could manage the pup.
The pup is 7 months old and has been in 6 different homes. It needs a forever home. He is great with Children, he let my 4 year old give him sticks to chew and when my 4 year old tried pulling the stick out of its mouth, he didn't snatch or growl and let the stick go. He was very playful with my son. He doesn't know how to walk on the lead and has had no training. He likes to also be inside. He is very boisterous and when meeting my dominant collie he had a go at him and tried to jump on him in a dominant way. I believe he will be a dominate male. He hasn't been around other dogs before.
I am just wondering if I am stupid enough to consider taking him when I have 2 other dogs. Him being a shepherd I am a bit scared as I was bitten by 2 when I was a child. One being my own dog and another being my brothers friends. Also vet bills and food to feed 3 dogs.... My heart is saying yes but my head is saying no....
He is desexed and declawed. He is so beautiful looking I just want to save him, no one wants him. I offered to look after him for the three weeks while they are away as I really don't want him to go to the pound.
Sorry for no paragraphs on the iPad.

Edited by Mummzy, 20 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Declawed? ohmy.gif

#3 ani1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Wow they declaw dogs now. How terrible.

#4 FiveAus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Dewclaws removed?

Why did the neighbour get a dog he can't keep? Why doesn't he send it back to where he got it from?

A 7 month old GSD is only partly grown. I am always surprised by how huge a full grown adult GSD is when I see them close up, they are beautiful but they are BIG and powerful dogs who require excellent leadership.

#5 Mummzy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yes the dew claws have been removed sorry for not stating that. As being a very active dog they can become dislocated and/or torn. Vets recommend it's safer.

Some rescue organisation in Victoria had him. They wanted to try re-home him one last time. So they asked my neighbours daughter who already had a german shepherd. She was reluctant but agreed to try him, but he didn't get along with her other german shepherd. So the parents have taken him for the time been till they can find a home for the dog. Otherwise he will go to the pound.  sad.gif

#6 The Old Feral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Far out, I'm in Vic and would have been on to him like a shot if I'd seen him.....

If it doesn't work out for you OP, please pm me before he goes to the pound.

#7 FiveAus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Yes, a couple of my dogs had their dewclaws removed shortly after birth, it is nothing like declawing.

The daughter needs to contact the rescue organisation and arrange for them to take him back. A dog should never be placed without some sort of trial period and an ethical rescue will always take back an animal that hasn't worked out.

#8 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

him on again.

Edited by lifehacker, 09 February 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#9 *Ker*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Where are you? If he's in adelaide, I'll take him on as a foster. I can handle a white shepherd.

#10 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Poor doggy. But yes, current location would help.

#11 Kalota

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I feel you, OP. German Shepherds are just beautiful. DF and I have been looking at a few shelter dogs recently and came across the most gorgeous German Shepherd. I really wanted to take him home but he was too big for what we are looking for sad.gif I had to use a lot of willpower to say no, and convince myself that someone else will come and take him as he was such a beautiful dog!

#12 DressageQueen

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have a black (working lines) GSD, they can be hard work if you don't know what you're doing.
They need consistant FIRM (very) leadership and boundaries. Mine absolutely loved going to GSD specific training and I would recommend joining your local club if you're going to take it on. Keep in mind the white GSD's aren't recognised by the breed society so you won't be able to register him. They can also have delicate stomachs and skin allergies, and have a double coat which sheds 12 months a year.

#13 *Ker*

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (DressageQueen @ 22/01/2013, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep in mind the white GSD's aren't recognised by the breed society so you won't be able to register him.

No, they are not recognised by the ANKC, so cannot be registered for show or breed, but are still required to be registered with the council. But he can't be registered unless he was at birth anyhow! You can't retrospectively register a dog.

Dog can't really be shown anyhow unless he's in neuter class - he's desexed.

Edited by *Ker*, 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#14 The Old Feral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I have a black (working lines) GSD

Me too, aren't they divine?   wub.gif

Mine is actually incredibly calm and easygoing, much more so than all the black/tan shepherds we've had over the years.

OP, how's the pup going?  Did you decide to keep him?

#15 Mummzy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hi everyone,

No we haven't decided. Either have the neighbours.

He jumped their fence today and came straight over to see our dogs. The neighbours were out at the time. So Jagger (his name). Let himself inside when I opened the door to get my 2 year old!  ohmy.gif and made himself at home wondering around playing with my sons. (They loved it).

Spoke to the neighbours when they came home and noticed he was in our yard. The Victoria rescue place think they should have a home for him by friday but the neighbours are concerned as the rescue place want $400 for him. If they don't get that he will probably go to the pound. I just don't understand... They are turning away potential owners because they have put a price on him.  sad.gif

It's terribly sad.

Oh and we are in the Blue Mountains.

#16 Charli73

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have a German Shepherd too and she is theist amazing family member.. She is a working lines Black and Tan girl and is the most loyal dog. She is fantastic with our two kids (both under 2) and is very gentle with them and won't leave my sons side.. It's the most beautiful thing to watch..

Hard work and a firm leader yes we trained her twice weekly for years and I'm glad that we did..

I hope you find a home for this pup.. The white shepherds are beautiful..

#17 The Old Feral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Rescues need to charge $$ - to keep money coming in so they can keep on rescuing, and to deter impulse adoptions.

As I said earlier, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he ends up back in Vic, as a foster with a view to adoption  (if he gets along with my black girl and the ocicat, and isn't completely bonkers)... and would have no hesitation in forking out $400 for the privilege!

I can picture it now..... Jet and Jagger, the black and white shepherds..... wub.gif
(*wakes up from daydream*)

Can you let me know the name of the rescue group please, so I can let them know I'm here?

Thanks original.gif

Edited by The Old Bag, 23 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#18 *Ker*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Do you mean they are charging $400 for someone to adopt him, or is that the surrender fee that the owners need to pay?

#19 Mummzy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

The $400 is to adopt him. I have no idea of the organisation. Going off by the neighbour I dont think the rescue group want to send him back to Victoria so are trying to find someone in NSW.

#20 *Ker*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

That is completely normal. He will have to go into foster care - he needs training by the sounds of it. The adoption fee will cover the food while he is there, the carers time and expertise in training, flea and worming treatments, etc etc. Did you expect the rescue group to just give him away?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a copy of 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

To celebrate the launch of EB member and contributor Julia's Watson's first book, we have five copies of Breakfast, School Run, Chemo give away.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.