3 terms of reception or 6?
WDYT?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chockybits

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

My DS who turns 5 mid Feb, is due to start school in term 2, which means he will only get 3 terms of reception. When he first started kindy the kindy director said that we could keep him back an extra term at kindy and start him at school in term 3, which would then give him 6 terms of reception. I will be talking with them when kindy goes back to see what they suggest based on his progress over the past year, but I was just wondering if any others have done this? If so, do you think the extra time was of benefit to your child?

For those whose child only did 3 terms did you think it was enough or too rushed? Do you think they would have done better with extra time in reception?

Any thoughts or feedback on similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA original.gif

#2 LambChop

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Why don't you just wait and see how he goes ?  Review at the end of the year and decide then based on where your son is at.

#3 Chockybits

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I have to make the decision this term because if he does start in term 2 then he will be doing transition visits this term.

#4 MadamDivine

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

My dd is in the same position, and I have decided 3 terms is not enough.

My eldest two children had 5 and 6 terms and I believe they both needed them.

Just means DD will be older then most students in her class and even over a year older then some class mates next tear due to the SA system finally coming into line with the rest of au intake system

#5 JKTMum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Why don't you just wait and see how he goes ? Review at the end of the year and decide then based on where your son is at.

I'd say this isnt an option.

I dont live in SA, but from what I understand kids start Reception the term after their 5th birthday, but they can only start year 1 at the start of a year. There are rules on how many terms each child can have in Reception, a child starting in term 1 will have 4 terms, a child starting in term 2 will have 3 terms but a child starting in term 3 will have 6 terms and a child starting in term 4 will have 5 terms. I dont think 7 terms is an option if OP decides to start in Term 2, her DS will then have to start year 1 the following year in term 1.

OP I'd see how your DS is fairing after the first half of first term and again be guided by the kindy teachers. They will know what they are looking for in terms of readiness and whether they think your DS would be better doing extra terms in Reception rather than the minimum 3 terms. Are they expected to be able to read and write after Reception (they are in Prep in Victoria)? Do you think he will have trouble either academically or more importantly socially and emotionally with going into 'school'?

#6 Heather11

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I was always under the impression that children were only allowed to do four terms of kindergarten. Of course there can be exceptional circumstances but I thought a diagnosis of some kind was needed. Kindy in SA is heavily subsidised by the Government and from what I have read you are only entitled to 4 terms.

I know a friend deliberately started her DD in term 3 at kindy even though she could start in Term 2 in order to get 6 terms of Reception.  She only did the 4 terms of kindy.

I have had two children do three terms.  The first could of done with four terms but I also think the teacher didn't push them.

My DS has just finished 3 terms of Reception. He has excelled both academically and socially and believe he will be at the the same level this year as those who have done 6 terms.  His teacher last year knew that they needed to be pushed.  

I personally believe 6 terms is too many and think the system coming in in 2014 where everyone will do 4 terms will be beneficial.

#7 babygirl03

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Firstly, I would say be guided by the feedback from your DS's kindy and also by what you know of your child original.gif

In general, 4 terms is ideal but when it's a choice of 3 terms or 6 and you're really not sure, maybe err on the side of 6 terms. My sister is a junior primary teacher and has been taking Year 1 classes for the last few years. She said it's usually quite obvious which are the children that have done 3 terms of Reception only as opposed to 4. It's a foundation year and children learn so much during that first year of school. Thus, it may not be a bad thing to have an extra term or two to reinforce those base fundamentals, in particular, for a child who is working more at the average to lower half of the class - not saying that your child is but would be a point for consideration.

Good luck in your decision.

#8 PopsiclePeach

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

My son did 6 terms of reception (SA FYOS) as he had a late May birthday.

My daughter (early April birthday) could have done 3 terms of reception but I held her back on starting kindy by 1 term so she will get the 6 terms too.  It's the last chance in SA!!  She will start school in July this year.  I can't see any negatives to it.  Academically, she would be completely fine with 3 terms and probably socially too, however I would rather her get a really excellent grounding before moving on to Year 1.  I think that those first few years are so important, I don't want to rush it.  We have mostly composite classes so if necessary she can be doing Year 1 work next year anyway if she is ready for it.  She is also an initially shy child in new environments but once settled there's no stopping her!!  I would really like for her to be a 'leader' rather than a follower as I have witnessed at Kindy with some of the more confident girls.  I think having 2 terms of reception under her belt before all the 'newbies' arrive in January next year will be great for her confidence and help develop her nurturing side.  

There is the added benefit that we will only have one year overlap of paying 2 lots of private high school fees  ph34r.gif

Edited by PopsiclePeach, 20 January 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#9 monkeys mum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

My dd did three terms, the kindy wanted her to stay back so she would do six terns, but i decided socially this wouldnt help her. She also got funding for speech which i believe the kindy were happy to hang on to. Plus it made no sense to me that she stayed behind and was with younger children as that wouldnt help her speech.

Dd is still the youngest but has been in 2/3 and 3/4 composite classes the past two years and is doing fine, yes she needs to build a little bit of resilence. But, academically you really would not think she is the youngest or that she stilo has speech. We were pleasantly surprised that for naplan she was not only above the schools average, but also above the national average. Im sharing this not to brag but to share three term story when the kindy were trying very hard to keep her back.

My advice is, what do you think? Is your child one who would not go too well not having friends in his class? My dd although she knew some of the kindy kids that were starting in term three all of her friends started in term one or two.

I cant wait for the once a year intake, ds will by five during term one next year but i think it will be so much better then starting in term two.

#10 blackbird

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

my son is autistic and has just done 3 terms, I was worried how he will do this year as  in the last week of school he was not even close to reading, and just this week, he finally gets how to string sounds together! I think 3 is enough just.

Edited by blackbird, 20 January 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

OP needs to decide now because they will be sending out the Transition letters within the next 3-4 weeks to start Transition at some point in weeks 5-6.

My experience is that a child who does 6 terms of Reception is just fine. Absolutely peachy keen, ridiculously superbly fine. A 4 term Reception is spot on the money. 3 term Receptions are sometimes a little underdone. That said, I'm a 2 term Reception (crazy weird decision that I still don't fully understand!!!) and while I'm absolutely fanbloodytastic and sailed through Primary School I crashed and burned at about Year 11. Boom Crash!

Okay so in all deadly seriousness, DD1 was forced to do 6 terms of Reception because she missed starting Term 2 by 2 weeks. While it has not harmed her in the slightest it's been a mixed blessing. She would have missed out on staying with her kindy bestie if she'd been able to do 3 terms of Reception and they have such a firm friendship now I hate to think if that hadn't happened. At the same time she's behind her church peers who are all starting High School this year. Her cousins who are 3 months and 6 weeks older are heading to Year 8 as well. The friends she makes in Orchestra, Dance and Wind Ensemble are usually the year level above while being 'her age' as well. For us her peer group has not been confined to her school only and this has made it quite tricky actually.

On the upside she's very mature, shows outstanding leadership qualities and has a very good chance of really becoming a significant student leader this year which will be a brilliant opportunity. In her Year Level she shines due to her "elderliness" (she's *the* oldest in her year). If she'd been a Year 7 last year she would have been a bit more lost in the shuffle.

So at the end of the day, coming from the other end of Primary School where this has irritated the CRAP out of me for almost 9 years it has a significant amount of positives - despite the fact that yet again, tonight someone assumed she'd be off to High School next week. Which makes the FOURTH person today!!!! She gets that a lot ...

My other two were born in November and December and had no other option than 4 terms of Reception and they are just right. Most kids are. If I had to choose again, knowing what I know now (and not what I thought I knew when DD1 was 4) I would choose 6 terms of Reception. It can get a bit sticky but at the end of the day I don't think you can go wrong with 6 terms and I think you can with 3.

#12 littlepoppet

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

We 'meet' again, Chockybits! Always nice to see you around from time to time.  original.gif

Sorry I'm in Vic so wont be of much help, as things are done differently here, but I've been losing sleep over my decision with DS (as you know mid Feb baby also). He is starting FYOS this year but I've considered holding him back. Really hope I haven't made the wrong decision...He will attend for the full 4 terms though.

Anyway, good luck with your decision - it's a tough one.

#13 busymum01

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I would go for 6 if you're not sure. Our DS only did three terms of kindy, then three terms or reception and then was pushed up (against my gut feeling) into year one last year (turning six half way through the year) he was the youngest in a year 1/2 class (some kids are turning eight!) and it was a nightmare academically and socially. This year, we're keeping him back to continue with year one with kids his own age.

#14 Chockybits

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's interesting reading about other people's situations.

I will wait and see what the kindy teachers recommend, but at this stage I think I am leaning towards doing the 6 terms. Emotionally, at home anyway, he does cry for the silliest of things and his social skills need more development. Obviously school will help with that too, but he's the kind of kid who prefers talking with the adults rather than the children. He does play with the other children, but hasn't made any close friends and there's not many children from his kindy going to his school so that won't make a difference when he does start. Academically he's not overly interested in learning to read or write, but is a bright child in other areas.

Heather11, you are right, you can't plan on doing any more than 4 terms of kindy however if the director feels that it is necessary then the child can do more. That's what his driector told me anyway. He does have speech therapy so maybe that's got something to do with it, but we go privately.

Hey Littlepoppet  waves.gif . Nice to hear from you again original.gif. I take it your DS is starting this term then? In hindsight I probably could have pushed the school for him to start this term, but didn't think of it at the time. That would have given him a full year of reception, even though he may not be as ready as he could be.

So, do they ever hold kids back in the early years of school? I guess it probably depends on the school, but I imagine that would be quite hard on the child then because of friendships they would have formed.

#15 Heather11

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

So, do they ever hold kids back in the early years of school? I guess it probably depends on the school, but I imagine that would be quite hard on the child then because of friendships they would have formed.

I believe three students who have only done three terms from DS's class will be remaining in Reception next year.

At my children's school they mix the class when they go to a new level anyway.  DS said there is only one other boy from his class last year in this year's class.

If your child does 6 terms he may very well become friends with a child who only has to do 4 and therefore they get spilt up the following year anyway.  This happened to DD.  Her best friend in Reception ended up being a girl who started the term after her.  The following year DD had to go up while her friend stayed in Reception.  They were still able to play together in the playground and remained friends.

#16 littlepoppet

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Chockybits @ 21/01/2013, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Littlepoppet  waves.gif . Nice to hear from you again original.gif. I take it your DS is starting this term then? In hindsight I probably could have pushed the school for him to start this term, but didn't think of it at the time. That would have given him a full year of reception, even though he may not be as ready as he could be.

Yes, he is starting next Fri. I am quite emotional about it all to be honest. I hate that he is going to be one of the youngest (April cut off) but kinder teacher said he was ready and I'm not sure that another year at home (with kinder) would have been enough for him. Unfortunately, he wont know anyone at the school which makes things harder, plus he's a pretty sensitive soul.  Anyway, I'm trying to be positive but still sooooooo anxious.

Good luck  original.gif

Edited by littlepoppet, 21 January 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#17 Chockybits

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Hope it all goes well Littlepoppet and he settles in nicely. At least you can have some comfort knowing that his kindy teachers think he's ready. My DS is a bit of a sensitive soul too. When he does start he probably won't know anyone either because he's not going to the kindy attached to the school. It's all a bit emotional isn't it, reaching all these milestones! Our babies are growing up!

#18 littlepoppet

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Chockybits @ 22/01/2013, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's all a bit emotional isn't it, reaching all these milestones! Our babies are growing up!

I swear, I only just brought him home from the hospital shrug.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.