SafeTsleep
Good or another sleep crutch?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lorem ipsum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

After a disastrous attempt to wrap DS (15 weeks) with one arm out of his wrap yesterday I am looking at getting the SafeTsleep, as it looks like he will be rolling soon.

Is it worth getting or is it something that is going to be another sleep crutch that he will have to be weaned off later? Or am I better off waiting a few weeks and attempting the one arm out thing again?

Thanks

#2 Riotproof

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Why are you trying to wean the wrap right now?  

I don't know much about the safetsleep, tbh, it doesn't seem safe to me at all.

#3 niggles

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I looked into this at one stage and it seems you can use it for quite some time. Even for a toddler in a bed. Of course that's as long as your child likes being in it. It's obviously not intended as a restraint and so if the child doesn't like it, it's an expensive waste of time.

That said, I've had issues with both my kids weaning off the wrap and so I would consider using one for future children, starting with it while still wrapped so it becomes part of the routine and they don't develop the habit of moving around in the cot in their sleep.

I wouldn't call anything a sleep crutch and I wouldn't be worried about weaning off. You can wean a child off anything when you are both ready. If it's doing no harm and it's helping them sleep I'd call it an excellent sleep aid.

#4 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Why are you trying to solve a problem that hasn't happened yet.

By the time your baby can roll in a wrapped position, they can usually also get their arms out. It's quite hard to roll wrapped - babies roll in sleep later than they roll when awake.

Also the safe t sleep doesn't stop them rolling. My first could roll even with the crotch strap (which ultimately I cut off)

What the safe t sleep IS good for is limiting them sitting and standing when you put them to bed (both mine could still stand with the thing around them, it just requires more persistence). It also is meant to feel secure, like a 'hug'.

Both mine have slept brilliantly with it, and 'weaning' wasn't an issue. We actually used it until, oh, 18 months or so? But probably could have for rid of it sooner.

#5 twinboys

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I used them and they were a great way to keep a baby lying down and not rolling and crawling all over the cot.
We also used them instead of portacots when we went away as they can go around a single bed mattress

#6 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 20/01/2013, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are you trying to wean the wrap right now?  

I don't know much about the safetsleep, tbh, it doesn't seem safe to me at all.

What strikes you as unsafe?

Personally, we quite like it. My first got it at six months as part of 'sleep training' as he was a shocking sleeper and slept through 12 hours a night from six months; my second has it from about 8-10 weeks, and slept through almost immediately (went back to a single night feed at four months and spontaneously dropped that at 6.5 months, and slept 12 hours a night from 6.5 months).

It can't get around their neck, and i can't see any other issue with it.

#7 Lorem ipsum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 20/01/2013, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are you trying to solve a problem that hasn't happened yet.

Mchn mentioned that  you should stop wrapping when they start rolling. I wasn't aware that it didn't stop rolling.  I guess it would keep them in the middle of the bed., stopping him getting stuck in the edges and suffocating?

#8 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Lorem ipsum @ 20/01/2013, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mchn mentioned that  you should stop wrapping when they start rolling. I wasn't aware that it didn't stop rolling.  I guess it would keep them in the middle of the bed., stopping him getting stuck in the edges and suffocating?

My point is only that you may get have months before your baby rolls from back to front (my first did that at 4 months, my second at 6.5), and that it takes even longer to rolls while wrapped.

My first was wrapped with hands by his sides with a 'miracle wrap' and could get his arms out by the time he could roll.

My second was wrapped arms up in a 'love to dream' and could actually push his head up easily and roll back to front in it.

So wait until bub actually starts to roll before you decide if you need to unwrap or not.

All this aside, I DO like the safe t sleep and would recommend it to anyone. I used both wrap and safe t sleep concurrently for both of mine.

#9 Lorem ipsum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks AK

I understand your point, I guess I am being hyper sensitive to the  SIDS risks

#10 Riotproof

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 20/01/2013, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What strikes you as unsafe?

Personally, we quite like it. My first got it at six months as part of 'sleep training' as he was a shocking sleeper and slept through 12 hours a night from six months; my second has it from about 8-10 weeks, and slept through almost immediately (went back to a single night feed at four months and spontaneously dropped that at 6.5 months, and slept 12 hours a night from 6.5 months).

It can't get around their neck, and i can't see any other issue with it.

I don't know, it just feels like adding something unnecessary. Looking at the how to use instructions on the website, they appear be supporting side sleeping as well. http://www.safetsleep.com/easy-to-use-instructions/ step 5

#11 lucky 2

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

It looks like a product that would be unnecessary in normal circumstances, no specific product is endorsed by SIDs and KIDS.
The SIDs and KIDs wrapping brochure is below with its recommendations I presume would be based on current knowledge about sleep safety.
http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-content/uplo...12LRsingles.pdf
I'd probably wait a bit and try one arm out again in a few weeks.
I got one of dd's arms out when she started to fight the wrap (around 3 months of age). I cant say it was fun but we got there. Then the second arm came out around 5 months, that was easy so I wasted time worrying and avoiding getting that one out. Then wrapped lower body and eventually a sleeping bag.
All the best.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.