If you could have any double pram.....
Which one would you have?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tilly007

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I am currently looking at double prams.

My husband travels to the USA a few times a month for work and will probably get our double pram over there as they are much cheaper.

I like the look of the Bugaboo Donkey.  Does anyone have any though on any other great double prams?  Cost is not much of an issue as I think they are much cheaper in the US and we are planning on selling our Emmalunja and putting the proceeds to a double pram.

Many thanks.

#2 premmie_29weeks

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I love my baby jogger city mini double...we bought it on eBay. Good wheels for all terrain, easy fold, as light as is possible, lots of space of a larger toddler and little one, good sun shades. My only criticism is there isn't anywhere to hang a nappy bag, so I bought a few hooks.

#3 lady lady

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

ph34r.gif Stalking ...

so far from my "research" the MB Duet seems to keep coming back to me with fabulous reviews.  Currently using a P&T Sport  but DD#2 is still only 3 months, I don't think she will tolerate sitting in the bottom once she is about 6+months which makes me lean towards the BJCS or MB Duet so they can both see and have room ...

The P&T  is starting to drive me bonkers I am unable to stear with one hand and the front wheel seems to make take off hard/ awkward.

#4 WinterIsComing

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Oh God, how can you go past the Donkey?

The mere fact is that one child can face outwards, another towards you, while being at the same level, is reason enough.

Plus the typical design genuis that defines Bugaboo products...

#5 deejie

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (lady lady @ 20/01/2013, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ph34r.gif Stalking ...

so far from my "research" the MB Duet seems to keep coming back to me with fabulous reviews.

We have the MB duet and love love love it. DS1 was 2.5 years when DS2 was born.

I did look at the Bugaboo Donkey (more out of curiosity). The biggest problem we found with the MB duet was that in order for a side by side double to be guaranteed to fit through every standard door, you have to compromise on seat space. The width of the seat is not quite the same as the MB Swift. At 3, DS1 couldn't square his shoulders. Not that it matters, he was never in it long periods of time (longer than half an hour) anyway. At 3.5, he can still easily fit under the hood so height is not an issue at all. It is easy to push one handed and steers like a dream. Nice big basket underneath. I never found the fact that both face forwards to be a problem.

The potential problem we had with the Donkey was not width, it was height. It looked as though DS1 would get more use out of it width wise, but it didn't look as though he would fit under the hood for much more than a year. I was never planning to buy it anyway, but was having a look because I wanted to know what you got for your $$$ original.gif

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've ordered a MB duet! It hasn't arrived yet but I'm so excited for it to come.

It would be perfect if the seats could face me but I'm planning on having the bassinet attachment until the baby out grows it and then he can be forward facing next to his brother.

Most of the other double prams I looked at were too wide. Love the look of the donkey but could never afford it in my wildest dreams.

#7 chat

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I had a double mountain buggy for my twins who are 9 now. It was brilliant and never missed a beat!!

#8 mummy.to.one

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (deejie @ 20/01/2013, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The potential problem we had with the Donkey was not width, it was height. It looked as though DS1 would get more use out of it width wise, but it didn't look as though he would fit under the hood for much more than a year. I was never planning to buy it anyway, but was having a look because I wanted to know what you got for your $$$ original.gif

This is true DS is a short child and his head still reaches the hood, it fits under but I need to tuck it away.

I figure he only really sits in it while at th shopping centre so in time I will remove the hood from his seat. He also doesn't sleep in the pram anymore so I wouldn't need a hood to cover him.

#9 machine

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've just bought a Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double but haven't used it yet as new baby hasn't arrived.  It's sitting in our house and DD1 (28 months) gets in and out of it and loves it, she has even chosen a side.  I also have a BJ City Elite so I'm familiar with the brand and that has been a fantastic pram.

It's very refined and very much user friendly unlike so many other prams I have tried.  You don't have to remove anything in order to get it into a small boot believe it or not - no, not even the wheels.  So many prams require the removal of the second seat in order to fold which when you have two babies to deal with just isn't practical.  I wanted a double, not a tandem because I was concerned that neither child would want to be facing the back of a seat with no view but I am worried about the width.  I did buy an ABC Adventure Buggy but sent it back because it was such a long fold, clunky and unrefined with awful cheap attachment mechanisms for the wheels and handlebar etc.

If I was to have any complaints about the BJ's I wish they came with basic accessories such as a rain canopy.  I also wish there was somewhere to hang a nappy bag - as someone above said, I will be buying a couple of Mummy Hooks for this purpose.  I also wish they folded in on themselves as opposed to their signature folding back on themselves.  It means you have to lift the entire pram off the ground to fold which you wouldn't have to do if it folded inwards.  I also wish the BJCM Double had the magnetic closures, lift up foot rest and mesh side panels of the Elite.  I would have bought the Elite Double but it is wider than a standard doorway.

The BJ's have the best canopies I have come across, lots of sun protection, an easy to use hand brake, wheels slide on and off with ease (the refinement I was talking about) - no need to worry about breaking a nail or catching your skin.  They are easy to push, have foam filled puncture free tires (why don't all prams have these?), nice padded seats, good height for taller kids.

If I could chose to create a perfect double pram it would be similar to the ABC Adventure Buggy but with a compact fold, less clunky, hand break and with easy to remove wheels like the BJ's have and foam filled tires.  It is a great idea having one seat directly above the other so you don't have the width or length or a side-by-side or tandem.  It is tall so seeing over it would become a pain, you would have to look round it when in tight spaces.

I didn't like the Phil and Ted's or the Bugaboo's as they were too long, not compact enough fold wise or easy to fold.  The Baby Jogger is by far and away the easiest to use and fold (in my opinion of course).

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

If I lived in the city areas the Donkey, because of where I live the MB duet.  I considered the single BJ mini for a while but once your child gets bigger you need the bigger wheels otherwise the terrian gets really hard to push in (this is also why I left the swift sitting in the shop as well) I would assume the double mini would have the same issue with no handbag on the handlebar, and the same size wheels.  With 2 ones pushing give me those bigger wheels original.gif (again based on my area, if I was on flat ground I probably wouldn't worry too much about the wheel size)

#11 w-emma

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Living in the inner city, the width profile of the bugaboo donkey is too great.  We've opted for the iCandy peach blossom, which has some flexibility in relation to rear and front facing as well.

#12 littlepoppet

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have the duet for my DD (3 in March) and my 14 month DS. It's a fabulous pram that will suit us well for as long as we need. Both my children fall asleep in it and appear comfortable. It's great to push and oh so narrow.

Edited by littlepoppet, 21 January 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#13 rokate

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I have the donkey for 3yo (in march) and 1yo. I have tried every pram and I love it.

#14 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Bjcmd - hands down the best.  Great fold, fits through a standard door, seats large enough for toddlers.  I love it.

I have also had a strider double - too chunky and wide, also I didn't like the second seat underneath as feet were in my shopping basket!

I also had a BJ city select - good in theory but too long.  I found it a pain to take apart all the time as well.  Who wants to build their pram each time you get it out of the car?

#15 Bombom

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

We bought a Mima Kobi for our little bub due on July, we would like to have another child straight after this one, so we opted for the Kobi. I looked at the donkey too but its just too wide, and looks funny when you have a single child on it, The Kobi on the other hand looks absolutely sexy, and so functional we just need to buy the second seat when baby no 2 arrives, the bassinet is also within the seat. Folds easily and quite tall as tall as a Stokke   so the baby can see heaps of things.

#16 w-emma

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

The Mima Kobi is beautiful!  Their highchairs are amazing too!  However, there's just not enough storage underneath for me - boo!

#17 Bombom

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (w-emma @ 30/01/2013, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mima Kobi is beautiful!  Their highchairs are amazing too!  However, there's just not enough storage underneath for me - boo!

For one bub the storage is just enough for me, I don't think I'll be able to use the under storage though once I have 2 bubs. The Mima Xari has more storage but it is just for one child, and If I'll be spending heaps on a pram I want to use it for a long time. But the pram is amazing, so easy to push, it is high like stokke, easy to fold, it is very practical for me looking to have another bub straightaway,  looks absolutely beautiful, my DH even said "oh I wish I could have a ride in it too" haha biggrin.gif

#18 Madnesscraves

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

I'd say bugaboo donkey.

My reasons are, easy to handle and I can have 1 child forward one resurfacing. I can also turn it into a single pram.

Secondly, huge thing for me is storage space. I don't drive so this bit is quite crucial to me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.