You Need A Budget

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lees75

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi:)

I noticed a lot of people mentioned in the other thread that they use this budgeting program- I just had a few questions....

Currently I track all my expenses through iXpenseit, which I love. But although it is awesome for tracking, it doesn't reall help me budget forward. I am hoping to combine my tracking with my actual forward planning- currently I transfer all my savings onto my mortgage and just have multiple tallies going in a Word document of how much is for Xmas, holidays, dishwasher saving, etc.

I Use my credit card for everything and then pay it off in full each month. How will this work on YNAB?
For example, currently I have cash, but I know it has already been spent on the credit card, if that makes sense.  

And when you start a new budget, how do you time it? It stresses me out even thinking about changing my system, even though I know it will benefit me long term.

#2 two_ones

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi Lees75,

I have just spent this weekend setting up YNAB thanks to the recommendations in the other thread.

I don't have much advice at this stage, but I am similar to you in that I pay for most things on CC and make a payment once per fortnight, usually paying it all off in full (although recently, not all has been paid off hence my need to start a new budget!)

Similar to you I also had an excel spreadsheet going to keep track of the money I have set aside in ING for various things to save for e.g. holiday, baby #2 etc), which from what I can see I can now keep track on in YNAB.

So, to try and answer your CC question, here's how I think I will manage it. Others may be able to clarify, as I am very new to this!

The CC debt is a line item in my budget and when I set it up with the current balance it shows up in negative. I have allocated the remaining income for January to the various other categories and whatever left over goes towards bringing down that debt. For example, I have allocated $700 for January. Obviously the debt will increase as I make more purchases between now and the end of the month, but the actual payment I make to the CC should (hopefully) be $700 + the amounts of those other purchases.

From reading the YNAB forums, most people say you should ignore the day-to-day balance of your cash account (because it can be misleading when you buy majority of things on CC) and just go by looking at your budget, then it should all balance at the end of the month.

Hope that helps somewhat - will be able to update end of Jan and let you know how I went!

#3 two_ones

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Oh and I recommend starting at the start of a calendar month.

Being the middle of the month when I did it, I couldn't figure out why it was showing me as overspending initially, then I realised I was budgeting for things like phone and foxtel which I'd already paid earlier in the month.

#4 laridae

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I use it, but not in the way the makers of it say you should do it original.gif

They say start from a clean slate.  I imported all my transactions as far back as my bank allowed, so I could get a good idea of my history spending.

But how I set mine up:
First - set up all the budget accounts. So Savings account(s), credit card, cash.
Second, set up any non budget accounts - so mortages & loans.
Put starting balances as the current balance in these - you can always go back and change it if you import your history later.

Set up scheduled transactions.
So if you get paid regularly, set it as scheduled on the account they come out of.  Same with any regualr bills, eg power, rates, mortgage repayment (these as transfers to the non budget account), credit card repayments (guess it, you can up date it later).  These are your fixed costs that will happen on a regular basis and are therefore 'fixed'.   You can confirm these when you import your bank accounts later.

Enter (for at least the first month), all the scheduled transactions (use the tick box to select them and select 'enter in register now').

Now got to your budget screen.
Have a think about your major categories, eg I have Housing, Car, Dogs, Personal, Shared Costs.

Under Housing I have things like Electricity, Water, Rates, Maintenance & Repairs, Insurance, Repayments.
Car - Insurance, Petrol, Repayments, Extra Repayments, Licence, Registration, Maintenance & Repairs.
Dogs - Vet, Registration, Kennel Licence, Boarding
Personal (per person) - Miscellaneous, and other expenses that apply to only the one person.
Shared Costs - Micellaneous, Daycare, Groceries

Don't include a savings category at this point, wait until the budget is sorted first.

Most of these things you'll be able to enter a value in the budget directly - just by looking at past bills (and divide them to get a monthly value, eg a yearly bill, divide by 12, a quarterly bill, divide by 3).

Once you've got in all the fixed costs in your budget, 'take a look at the top where is says 'Income for Month', and budgeted for month, and you'll see how much you have left over for things like groceries.  Guess approximate values for the things you won't know exactly, but you'll want to make sure the budgeted for month is less than income for month.

If your Available to Budget is less than the Budgeted in Month value, then don't do a savings category yet, but if it is higher, then add one, for all the unallocated money each month.  If its lower, you are essentially living form paycheck to paycheck, so dont have savings yet.

Fróm there - I import my transactions from my acounts each week (or so), it auto matches with the scheduled transactions (check them though as it gets it wrong sometimes).  And give everything a category (or mark it as a transfer)
I enter the scheduled transactions into the register at least a month ahead (show the current balance column - its hidden by default), and check that the balences are above zero at all times (except credit card & loans, which is always negative), and change the entry for the credit card repayment value to the value I expect it to be on the date they send the statements (I pay mine in full every month).

I don't worry about cash too much - normally just mark withdrawals as 'miscellaneous'.  But if you work more in cash, you'll probably want to enter those transactions manually.

Oh, I keep my savings in my mortgage too, though I use it for yearly bills - I have a 'on budget' account of extra repayments - and I move all the extra repayments into this from my off budget mortgage account.  You could do the same with each thing you are saving for, just call it a seperate account (even though its not), and do 'transfers' into it.

Edited by laridae, 20 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#5 Lees75

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thanks everyone:)

I have spent most of the afternoon and evening setting it all up- totally love it!

#6 Feralishous

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

I think I'll have to look up this program. I just use excell spreadsheets for now

#7 *cough*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I'm trying but I don't get it. It keeps telling me I am over budget!

#8 catmeow82

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

How do people deal with gift cards? We buy Coles and Woolworths gift cards through the Entertainment Book at 5% off. I was thinking of adding an account called Gift Cards, but was wondering if anybody else is in a similar situation?

#9 two_ones

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (catmeow82 @ 22/01/2013, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do people deal with gift cards? We buy Coles and Woolworths gift cards through the Entertainment Book at 5% off. I was thinking of adding an account called Gift Cards, but was wondering if anybody else is in a similar situation?

Perhaps you could enter the purchase of the gift card as a transaction (e.g outflow of $95 to buy a $100 gift card) and then add in the $100 as income? That would add in the extra $5 to your budget pool.

#10 Lees75

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Just reporting back.. I have been doing it for 2 weeks and I love it!  It has given me the confidence to know that I wil be able to save for a trip to the USA next year:)

#11 fionah

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have been using YNAB free trial for a week now. So simple to use, much easier then excel spreadsheets which I have tried before, but they never really helped me. Having the app available on both mine and hubby's iPhones are great. We both know exactly what is where at anytime and we can see which bill is coming next.
You don't need to start at the beginning of the month, as you can enter things in for March, but leave them out for February. I highly recommend their tutorials and daily email lesson. The tutorial was great for explaining how Credit cards work in YNAB and just basic setting up.
Give the free trial a go if you aren't sure. The app is free too.
Good luck everyone. I feel so much more positive about out financial future original.gif

Fi

#12 AnotherFeral

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'm using the free trial at the moment and it's good so far.
Previously I tried a phone app that was good but didn't have a desktop counterpart and it just got too awkward. I like being able to do the organising on the desktop but still have everything available on my phone.

#13 justthegirls

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Either I'm not using the program properly, or I'm the only one who hates it.

#14 AnotherFeral

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

What do you hate about it?

#15 PurpleNess

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Been using it for 2 months now & love it - although it's made us realise just how tight things are...but that was the whole point.
I love the rules - only spend what you have etc, however this month isn't going so well lol

#16 justthegirls

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (aratiaw @ 21/02/2013, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you hate about it?

I just found it hard to forward plan

#17 laridae

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (justthegirls @ 21/02/2013, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just found it hard to forward plan

What I do for forward planning is just enter all the known transactions as scheduled transactions.  Then add them a few months in advance so you know what the future will look like.

If you haven't already, make sure you show the 'running balance' column.  I think its hidden by default.

#18 justthegirls

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (laridae @ 21/02/2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I do for forward planning is just enter all the known transactions as scheduled transactions.  Then add them a few months in advance so you know what the future will look like.

If you haven't already, make sure you show the 'running balance' column.  I think its hidden by default.

My free trial has expired, and I just don't think I got enough out of it to justify purchasing it.

Glad to hear everyone else has a positive experience though.

#19 Runner5

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

OMG...I read this thread yesterday and scuttled home to download the free trial...despite only having been using it for less than 24 hours I LOVE it and spent all evening listening to tutorials biggrin.gif  Assuming I can keep my ADHD brain focused on remembering to USE the program I think it's going to do brilliant things for us original.gif

#20 AnotherFeral

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, it's the best thing out of the various software and spreadsheets I've tried.
I was browsing the forums and read a bit about previous versions, or rather, newly added features in version 4. It seems like they made some big improvements. Having the phone app just makes it so much more useable.

#21 nicethel

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

My trial has now expired, pity as I really liked it.  I just cant justify spending the money.  It showed me that we really dont have $60 to spend on it!!LOL

#22 AnotherFeral

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (nicethel @ 03/03/2013, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My trial has now expired, pity as I really liked it.  I just cant justify spending the money.  It showed me that we really dont have $60 to spend on it!!LOL

As the maker himself says, you can still use the YNAB principles to budget, even if you're not using the actual YNAB software. If you have the time, you could build a spreadsheet that works in a similar fashion.
I'm finding there are some features missing, but I think I'll probably purchase a licence anyway, as the benefits are outweighing the negatives for me. I'm not inclined to spend heaps of time building a DIY version, but if I were, I'd still be missing the mobile app.

#23 laridae

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

If anyone wants a licence code for v3 of YNAB (v4 is the current version) - PM me your email address.

YNAB are letting everyone who bought v3 and has since bought v4 gift their v3 licence to someone else.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.