Who has been induced for their first and then had a spontaneous labour for their second?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

My first labour was okay. Nothing like what I had hoped for but all in all pretty good. In fact I wouldn't mind my second labour to be similar.

If you were induced with your first did you have a spontaneous second labour? How did you find it in comparison?

Edited by Sunnycat, 19 January 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Busydays

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was induced with my first at 6 days overdue. Labor was fast and hard work (but it is usually I think!). All over with less than 4 hours after I had the gel.
My second was natural at 10 days over due. My waters broke 2 days earlier which was a bit uncomfortable to be 'leaking' for so long. Labor was 8 hours.... But pretty much the same series of events, pain level, intervention ect...
Good luck!

#3 Missie

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I was induced at 38weeks with my 1st. Had a fairly easy 8hr labour. Went on to have 3 spontaneous labours at 40+5days, 40+7days and 39 weeks.

I found them to all be about the same, 1st 3 labours were 7-8hrs and number 4 was 3 1/2 hrs. All drug free and straight forward.

Hoping for the same this time around!

#4 HeroOfCanton

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

My first labour was induced at 12 days past my EDD, I had my waters broken, then a drip an hour later - DD was born 5.5 hours after the drip started.
I found it a relatively 'easy' labour, and was most bothered by the drip in my hand making it hard to move around as I was very nervous about using my hand.

Second labour, I had a S&S at 5 days past EDD, at which my midwife said I would probably be calling her that night in labour. I did - regular contractions started 30 minutes after the S&S. She said she thought I'd have gone into labour anyway, as she didn't have to 'do' much down there!
This labour was a bit easier than DD's, I had more freedom, and felt so much more confident as my body had done it alone.
From deciding it was the real thing, it was 5 hours until DS was born. My waters didn't break until his head was born.

eta - both labours were drug free & ended with healthy babies & my bits intact, phew!

Edited by HeroOfCanton, 19 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#5 Swarley

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Not first and second... but I was induced for number 2 and 3. The labours were intense and very quick. So I ended up going spontaneously with number 4 thinking it would change that. It was exactly the same.
About 4 minutes difference and just as intense and painful sad.gif

#6 katrina24

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

First labour - induced at 42 weeks with one half gel.  Labour was 4 hours from first contraction.  Second was spontaneous at 40 + 4 but I did have a S&S the day before.  Second labour was 1/2 the length of the firs. No real complications with either.

#7 samshine

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Mine were other way round; first spontaneous, second induced (and 3rd elective CS!).  

I found my spontaneous more painful, but seem to be alone in that one.  

My spontaneous (40+10) was a pretty quick first stage, I dilated 4-10cm in 1.5 hours.  But then had a 4-5 hour pushing stage so that slowed things.  DD was posterior so there were no defined contns, just constant pain.  It was a labour, birth and post partume experience full of complications so that probably influenced how I feel about that labour.

My induced labour (40+8)  was slower.  I had gels the night before, ruptured membranes at 12, syntocin going all day and it took til 9pm to dilate to 10cm.  The labour was soooo much more bearable.  Contractions were full on but I had pain free periods between them, which I didn't have iwth DD.  Unfortunately I need a CS during 2nd stage, but I would sstill do that labour 10 x over the first one....

good luck!

#8 CG123

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

First labour I was induced with a drip of syntocinon at 9 days over and had my waters broken. Labour was slow and tiring. I tried the gas, had the pethadine and was also given an epidural. After a delay in 2nd stage much longed for DS1 was born with the aid of forceps. From beginning to end it was 20 hours! I suffered many complications after delivery.

Second time round I went into spontaneous labour 9 days over (after being told I would need to be induced as not likely to go into labour on my own). Felt what I thought were hunger pains at approx 4:45am so I got up to eat. Turns out I was in labour! I had a shower and DH and I made our way to the hospital because I felt immence pressure. At 12:43pm I was holding beautiful DS2. 7 hours, drug free!!!

My two experiences could not be more different. If I could be guaranteed labour and delivery like DS2, I would have a billion babies!!!!!

#9 Akeyo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

With my first I was induced at 40+11 due to a low level of fluid around the baby. Labour lasted for 17 hours, strapped to a machine, unable to use the bath or shower then baby went into distress and I was whisked off for an EC. As I had been planning a natural birth in the birth centre, the amount of interventions required was a bit of a shock. But baby was born fine and my recovery was good.

#2 was a very different story. As a VBAC I was told I could not be induced so if I didn't go into spontaneous labour, I would be booked in for a repeat CS. There was no way in hell THAT was happening so I launched myself on a natural birthing mission - hypnobirthing, yoga, acupuncture, meditation - whether it had any effect who knows (but I think so) but I went into labour in the middle of the night of the day I was due. Baby was born in the bathtub at the birth centre after just 4 hours active labour and a rather strenuous 2.5 hours pushing (posterior). My drug and intervention free VBAC! Wonderful experience original.gif

Now 26 weeks pregnant with #3 and wondering how different this birth will be again!

#10 Babby and Roo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

My first was induced at 11 days over, using the gel and then later pitocinon when things slowed down after I had an epidural. 15 hours from when contractions started til the birth. No complications, normal delivery but the labour was hard and I don't have fond memories of it particularly.

Second I was determined to go natural, so planned to wait 14 days over. At about 11 days over I started getting mild contractions following a membrane sweep. This pre-labour lasted 4 nights, I was booked for an induction on day 15 and by that time I was ready for some help as I had barely slept with the mild contractions going around the clock. Lucky for me, I was 4 cm already when they broke my waters and that kicked everything off for me. Labour was only 2 hours, in birth centre no interventions needed. My memories of my son's birth are amazing. So much euphoria and such an incredible high for the next few days with my baby. I didn't have anything like that with my daughter.

If I have a third I will be determined to avoid chemical induction again if possible. I know now that I have 42 week pregnancies so I am confident in waiting it out for a better labour/birth.

Good luck with your birth original.gif

Edited by Strawberry Wellies, 19 January 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#11 scarfie

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

My first was induced at 42 weeks, gel in at 3pm, contractions started at 3am and DD was born just after 6am.  Hard and fast, and 1 stoned mama after a midwife told me I would be in labour all night and half the next day so I had Pethidine.

DD2 and DS1 were spontaneous labours at 40+6 and 40+8, DD2 was 5 hours, with the first 3 hours of me not even sure I was in labour, and DS1 was half an hour.  Both were homebirths and blissful.

DS2 was an induction at 38 weeks due to a pregnancy induced medical condition.  ARM at 9am which I had hoped would bring labour on, but this baby and body were not ready!  Syntocinon started at 2pm, contractions started at 3pm and DS2 born just before 6pm.  Not as hard as my first induction as I knew it would be quick.

#12 Pssst...

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

First my waters broke at 40+2 but I didn't go into labour so was put on syntocin. DD1 born at 40+4.

Second I went into spontaneous labour on my due date and DD2 born at 40+1.

Both labours almost identical: same build up in intensity, same failure to progress ending in c-section. Only difference was DD1 was posterior.

#13 VJs Mummy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

My first was induced and a 2.5 hour labour, my 2nd was 10 mins from waters breaking and my 3rd was 10 mins from waters breaking my 2nd and 3rd were both spontaneous 2nd was 8 days late 3rd was a month early

#14 Roobear

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

DD was induced after waters breaking and GBS+ at 40+11. 3 1/2 labour with an epi at the end.
DS was spontaneous labour at 39+6. 5 hour labour drug free.

My induced labour was 100 times better but that had more to do with the care providers.

#15 kabailz13

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I was induced with my first at 41 weeks. Labour was 10hrs and not very nice.

I went into labour spontaneously with my second at 40+3 and labour was 27hrs.

I went into labour spontaneously with my third at 41+3 and my labour and water birth was less than 7hrs.

I had a c/s with my twins at 38+2 sad.gif

#16 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

My first was induced at 41 weeks (ARM, followed by Syntocin when that had no effect). Contractions lasted 13 hours and she was eventually born by caesarean. She was posterior and it was awful.

My second was spontaneous, on her due date. Waters broke about 18 hours before contractions started. It was about 2 hours from the first noticeable contraction to her birth. SO much easier. But I suspect that has more to do with her not being posterior than the labour being spontaneous.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

My friend had just had a baby, and she wasn't budging: no visit until I had my shots. And it's not an unusual request.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.