Who has been induced for their first and then had a spontaneous labour for their second?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

My first labour was okay. Nothing like what I had hoped for but all in all pretty good. In fact I wouldn't mind my second labour to be similar.

If you were induced with your first did you have a spontaneous second labour? How did you find it in comparison?

Edited by Sunnycat, 19 January 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Busydays

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was induced with my first at 6 days overdue. Labor was fast and hard work (but it is usually I think!). All over with less than 4 hours after I had the gel.
My second was natural at 10 days over due. My waters broke 2 days earlier which was a bit uncomfortable to be 'leaking' for so long. Labor was 8 hours.... But pretty much the same series of events, pain level, intervention ect...
Good luck!

#3 Missie

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I was induced at 38weeks with my 1st. Had a fairly easy 8hr labour. Went on to have 3 spontaneous labours at 40+5days, 40+7days and 39 weeks.

I found them to all be about the same, 1st 3 labours were 7-8hrs and number 4 was 3 1/2 hrs. All drug free and straight forward.

Hoping for the same this time around!

#4 HeroOfCanton

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

My first labour was induced at 12 days past my EDD, I had my waters broken, then a drip an hour later - DD was born 5.5 hours after the drip started.
I found it a relatively 'easy' labour, and was most bothered by the drip in my hand making it hard to move around as I was very nervous about using my hand.

Second labour, I had a S&S at 5 days past EDD, at which my midwife said I would probably be calling her that night in labour. I did - regular contractions started 30 minutes after the S&S. She said she thought I'd have gone into labour anyway, as she didn't have to 'do' much down there!
This labour was a bit easier than DD's, I had more freedom, and felt so much more confident as my body had done it alone.
From deciding it was the real thing, it was 5 hours until DS was born. My waters didn't break until his head was born.

eta - both labours were drug free & ended with healthy babies & my bits intact, phew!

Edited by HeroOfCanton, 19 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#5 Swarley

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Not first and second... but I was induced for number 2 and 3. The labours were intense and very quick. So I ended up going spontaneously with number 4 thinking it would change that. It was exactly the same.
About 4 minutes difference and just as intense and painful sad.gif

#6 katrina24

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

First labour - induced at 42 weeks with one half gel.  Labour was 4 hours from first contraction.  Second was spontaneous at 40 + 4 but I did have a S&S the day before.  Second labour was 1/2 the length of the firs. No real complications with either.

#7 samshine

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Mine were other way round; first spontaneous, second induced (and 3rd elective CS!).  

I found my spontaneous more painful, but seem to be alone in that one.  

My spontaneous (40+10) was a pretty quick first stage, I dilated 4-10cm in 1.5 hours.  But then had a 4-5 hour pushing stage so that slowed things.  DD was posterior so there were no defined contns, just constant pain.  It was a labour, birth and post partume experience full of complications so that probably influenced how I feel about that labour.

My induced labour (40+8)  was slower.  I had gels the night before, ruptured membranes at 12, syntocin going all day and it took til 9pm to dilate to 10cm.  The labour was soooo much more bearable.  Contractions were full on but I had pain free periods between them, which I didn't have iwth DD.  Unfortunately I need a CS during 2nd stage, but I would sstill do that labour 10 x over the first one....

good luck!

#8 CG123

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

First labour I was induced with a drip of syntocinon at 9 days over and had my waters broken. Labour was slow and tiring. I tried the gas, had the pethadine and was also given an epidural. After a delay in 2nd stage much longed for DS1 was born with the aid of forceps. From beginning to end it was 20 hours! I suffered many complications after delivery.

Second time round I went into spontaneous labour 9 days over (after being told I would need to be induced as not likely to go into labour on my own). Felt what I thought were hunger pains at approx 4:45am so I got up to eat. Turns out I was in labour! I had a shower and DH and I made our way to the hospital because I felt immence pressure. At 12:43pm I was holding beautiful DS2. 7 hours, drug free!!!

My two experiences could not be more different. If I could be guaranteed labour and delivery like DS2, I would have a billion babies!!!!!

#9 Akeyo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

With my first I was induced at 40+11 due to a low level of fluid around the baby. Labour lasted for 17 hours, strapped to a machine, unable to use the bath or shower then baby went into distress and I was whisked off for an EC. As I had been planning a natural birth in the birth centre, the amount of interventions required was a bit of a shock. But baby was born fine and my recovery was good.

#2 was a very different story. As a VBAC I was told I could not be induced so if I didn't go into spontaneous labour, I would be booked in for a repeat CS. There was no way in hell THAT was happening so I launched myself on a natural birthing mission - hypnobirthing, yoga, acupuncture, meditation - whether it had any effect who knows (but I think so) but I went into labour in the middle of the night of the day I was due. Baby was born in the bathtub at the birth centre after just 4 hours active labour and a rather strenuous 2.5 hours pushing (posterior). My drug and intervention free VBAC! Wonderful experience original.gif

Now 26 weeks pregnant with #3 and wondering how different this birth will be again!

#10 Babby and Roo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

My first was induced at 11 days over, using the gel and then later pitocinon when things slowed down after I had an epidural. 15 hours from when contractions started til the birth. No complications, normal delivery but the labour was hard and I don't have fond memories of it particularly.

Second I was determined to go natural, so planned to wait 14 days over. At about 11 days over I started getting mild contractions following a membrane sweep. This pre-labour lasted 4 nights, I was booked for an induction on day 15 and by that time I was ready for some help as I had barely slept with the mild contractions going around the clock. Lucky for me, I was 4 cm already when they broke my waters and that kicked everything off for me. Labour was only 2 hours, in birth centre no interventions needed. My memories of my son's birth are amazing. So much euphoria and such an incredible high for the next few days with my baby. I didn't have anything like that with my daughter.

If I have a third I will be determined to avoid chemical induction again if possible. I know now that I have 42 week pregnancies so I am confident in waiting it out for a better labour/birth.

Good luck with your birth original.gif

Edited by Strawberry Wellies, 19 January 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#11 scarfie

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

My first was induced at 42 weeks, gel in at 3pm, contractions started at 3am and DD was born just after 6am.  Hard and fast, and 1 stoned mama after a midwife told me I would be in labour all night and half the next day so I had Pethidine.

DD2 and DS1 were spontaneous labours at 40+6 and 40+8, DD2 was 5 hours, with the first 3 hours of me not even sure I was in labour, and DS1 was half an hour.  Both were homebirths and blissful.

DS2 was an induction at 38 weeks due to a pregnancy induced medical condition.  ARM at 9am which I had hoped would bring labour on, but this baby and body were not ready!  Syntocinon started at 2pm, contractions started at 3pm and DS2 born just before 6pm.  Not as hard as my first induction as I knew it would be quick.

#12 Pssst...

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

First my waters broke at 40+2 but I didn't go into labour so was put on syntocin. DD1 born at 40+4.

Second I went into spontaneous labour on my due date and DD2 born at 40+1.

Both labours almost identical: same build up in intensity, same failure to progress ending in c-section. Only difference was DD1 was posterior.

#13 VJs Mummy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

My first was induced and a 2.5 hour labour, my 2nd was 10 mins from waters breaking and my 3rd was 10 mins from waters breaking my 2nd and 3rd were both spontaneous 2nd was 8 days late 3rd was a month early

#14 Roobear

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

DD was induced after waters breaking and GBS+ at 40+11. 3 1/2 labour with an epi at the end.
DS was spontaneous labour at 39+6. 5 hour labour drug free.

My induced labour was 100 times better but that had more to do with the care providers.

#15 kabailz13

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I was induced with my first at 41 weeks. Labour was 10hrs and not very nice.

I went into labour spontaneously with my second at 40+3 and labour was 27hrs.

I went into labour spontaneously with my third at 41+3 and my labour and water birth was less than 7hrs.

I had a c/s with my twins at 38+2 sad.gif

#16 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

My first was induced at 41 weeks (ARM, followed by Syntocin when that had no effect). Contractions lasted 13 hours and she was eventually born by caesarean. She was posterior and it was awful.

My second was spontaneous, on her due date. Waters broke about 18 hours before contractions started. It was about 2 hours from the first noticeable contraction to her birth. SO much easier. But I suspect that has more to do with her not being posterior than the labour being spontaneous.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.