Towels that smell horrid after washing

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yes another washing question

I have noticed that some of my towels smell horrid after washing, they smell like across between parmesan cheese and off milk, (they didn't smell like that before washing)

I wash them in woolwash in a cold, with a bit of fabric softener (which I know is not the cause, as I use the same fabric softener on evyething else and they all smell fine)

Towels are line dried.

I clean the filter, and put vinegar and Hot water through the machine regularly.

Any ideas?

#2 Logical nonsense

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I never wash my towels or linen in cold, I find it just don't get clean, especially in summer as we sweat during the night.
I line dry as well.
No fabric softener just some vinegar.

Try putting them through a warm wash.

#3 Frazzled Cat

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'd probably do a hot wash with just the stinky towels, bicarb and vinegar.  Might be the fibres reacting with something.

Then sun dry.

#4 chickenpants

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You're not supposed to use fabric softener on towels, it stops them from absorbing water well.

I always use napisan and a hot wash with an extra rinse (make sure all the soap is out), with a line dry.

#5 katrina24

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Is it possible they are sitting wet for a little while before hanging them out or taking ages to dry (damp weather). Being moist for too long can cause the odour.  I find that, if it happens, a warm/hot wash ans straight in the sun shine until really dry gets rid of it.

#6 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (katrina24 @ 19/01/2013, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it possible they are sitting wet for a little while before hanging them out or taking ages to dry (damp weather). Being moist for too long can cause the odour.  I find that, if it happens, a warm/hot wash ans straight in the sun shine until really dry gets rid of it.

They get washed an put straight on the line, if it is wet weather they get washed and eithe rput into the dryer or hung on the airer.

Even towels that have been used and are ready to be changed are hung to dry before going into the dirty laundry basket.

#7 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ditch the wool wash, and the fabric softener which is bad for towels anyway. Wash in normal detergent, cold water.

#8 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 19/01/2013, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditch the wool wash, and the fabric softener which is bad for towels anyway. Wash in normal detergent, cold water.

I wash in wool wash as I found normal detergent made the towel crusty and horrible, so matter how they were dried- even the expensive towels went the same.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 19 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#9 kez71

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

id ditch the towels or use them for pets and buy more..but thats just me..i hate stinky towels!

#10 Loulla

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yeh I second that - get a normal detergent, add a little extra as well as a cap of nappysan. Put on soak cycle warm wash with vinegar for rinse then straight into the sunshine. Consider a second rinse too.

#11 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Loulla @ 19/01/2013, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeh I second that - get a normal detergent, add a little extra as well as a cap of nappysan. Put on soak cycle warm wash with vinegar for rinse then straight into the sunshine. Consider a second rinse too.

How do you then get rid of the vinegar smell?? I have tried it before for the rinse and the smell- even after a 2nd rinse cycle, turned me off.

#12 ubermum

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

If you have been using softener, I'd strip wash them like nappies. The smell will we trapped in the oily build up from the softener. I would hot wash them with some dishwashing detergent which is designed to break down oil and then double rinse and line dry. I don't understand the whole crunchy towel hate though.  shrug.gif The minute they touch your wet body and get damp, they're not crunchy anymore.

Edited by ubermum, 19 January 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#13 Frazzled Cat

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

the vinegar smell evaporates off.  It's pretty strong while wet, but dries away to scentlessness

#14 mamma2miracles

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

You're probably leaving them in the washing machine too long.  Whenever anything gets stinky in this house, it's because it sat in the washing machine and I have to rewash it to get rid of the smell.

You're probably leaving them in the washing machine too long.  Whenever anything gets stinky in this house, it's because it sat in the washing machine and I have to rewash it to get rid of the smell.

#15 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Soprano-Cat @ 19/01/2013, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the vinegar smell evaporates off.  It's pretty strong while wet, but dries away to scentlessness

So what would you use in the rinse that softened, but also smelt nice?? I love nice smelling towels..

#16 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (mamma2miracles @ 19/01/2013, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As soon as the buzzer on the machine goes off to say the cycle has finished, they are pulled out and either hung on the line or put on the airer, so they are not left in the machine or laying in the basket wet.

#17 neddyteddy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I agree, ditch the wool wash as towels are not made of wool and the fabric softener will be leaving a film on the towels. Soap has a high fat content and the residue ends up on your towels, my mum used to do a wash without detergent and a hot wash every now and then to break this down.
I like vinegar for the rinse cycle and find if you line dry them and don't use too much you can't smell it.

#18 cas8cas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

i use dettol or canestan rinse and my towels stay fluffy and smell nice  biggrin.gif

#19 Gudrun

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, ditch the woolwash. I think that's where the smell is coming from. Not meant for towels.  Maybe from the fabric softener as well.  Use perfumed drawer liners or pot pourri sachets in your linen cupboard if you want sweet smelling towels

#20 lep_78

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

do you have a front loader? that can make the towels come out more crisp than a top loader. i found this when i got my new front loader, you get used to it.

#21 Freddie'sMum

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't be washing towels in a wool wash - it probably isn't helping.

I would use normal detergent - no fabric softener - and a warm wash.

Oh - and if you are using a front loader - bring your spin speed down - mine only go thru on 900rpm - the machine can spin at 1400rpm.

Hope this helps.

#22 unicorn

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Make a softener using one cup of bi carb, one cup of white vinegar, a couple of drops of essential oil, I use eucalyptus oil and i also add lemon myrtle just coz I love the smell. Put all that in a 2 litre bottle and fill with warm water, shake well before each use, I just fill the softener dispenser with it.

And too much soap will make your towels scratchy.

#23 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (unicorn @ 19/01/2013, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make a softener using one cup of bi carb, one cup of white vinegar, a couple of drops of essential oil, I use eucalyptus oil and i also add lemon myrtle just coz I love the smell. Put all that in a 2 litre bottle and fill with warm water, shake well before each use, I just fill the softener dispenser with it.

And too much soap will make your towels scratchy.

Thanks for the recipe

#24 purpleblackqueen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (lep_78 @ 19/01/2013, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you have a front loader? that can make the towels come out more crisp than a top loader. i found this when i got my new front loader, you get used to it.

I have a top loader, it is the latest simpson model and only about 2 years old

#25 tamjk

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

The woolwash and the fabric softener will be leaving a film on the towels that traps body oils. That's what's causing the stink, it happens with cloth nappies too and to get rid of it you do something called a strip wash.

Give them a wash on the hottest setting you can set the machine to with napisan. Then run them through another hot cycle without detergent to get rid of any residue in them. They'll come out stiff as a board but at least they won't stink.
Dry them in full sun if you can because that will get rid of any residual stink.

To get rid of the stiffness either pop them in the tumble dryer or fold them up and put them in the freezer. I'm not quite sure how it works but freezing the towels is a trick my Grandmother taught me and it makes them come out lovely and soft.

If you can adjust the RPM of your washing machine, set it to the lowest RPM when washing towels. In my machine I set it to 600RPM for towels, if you can't adjust the RPM try washing your towels on the delicates cycle. The lower the RPM of the wash the softer the towels come out.

Also try using the Earths Choice detergent on towels, I find it leaves the towels softer than the other brands and it takes longer for smell and stiffness to build up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.