Strangers parking in front of your house, repeatedly

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Wineandchocolate

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

How would you feel if the same car was parked in front of your house every day and you didn't know the owners?

I ask because I will be starting a new job next week where there is no all-day parking in the immediate area, so I thought I would park in the closest suburban street in which there is no restricted parking, and then walk.  But as it is a residential area, it means I would be parking in front of someone's house.

Obviously I could move my car a few metres further on every day (and even go to adjacent streets) so that I'm not always in front of the same house.  But I am a creature of habit biggrin.gif and would probably prefer to go to the same spot each time.

If you lived at that house, would you think it weird?  Annoying?  Creepy?  Not care?

I must admit that if I was home all day and someone did that to me it would frustrate me no end, but if I was out working (or not home for whatever reason) and didn't really notice it I don't think I'd care.

WDYT?

#2 snuffles

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Happens all the time in the inner burbs.  My Aunt was quite used to it but now they've introduced permit parking so that only residents and their visitors can park there.  But yeah - I think they'll probably be used to it, otherwise they'll likely leave a note on your windshield asking you to park somewhere else.

#3 kadoodle

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Is public transport an option?  Park and ride?

#4 ubermum

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

It depends on the street. If I lived in a big wide street that had enough room for parking and two cars to pass it wouldn't bother me. If I lived in one of those new estates where you can't swing a cat and people parking in front made it difficult or prevented my rubbish being collected, it would annoy me. It would also annoy me that you didn't rotate your spots if you could because I could never have my friends park out the front simply because you are a creature of habit.

Do it op, but don't park in front of the same house all the time. That's just rude.

#5 Old Grey Mare

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

The street is a public place and unless there is a legal reason such as residents only parking you are free to park wherever you wish.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I wouldn't even think about it.

#7 Wineandchocolate

Is public transport an option?  Park and ride?

Not really as I have to drop DD at childcare on the way, plus I prefer to have my car nearby in case of emergency or if I want to go out during lunchtime, etc.

#8 *CalamityJane*

We lived in an inner suburb in our last house and had that all the time.  We didn't mind.  We had enough off street parking for both our cars but if we hadn't I might have been annoyed.

#9 Peppery

At a previous job I had to park in a residential street, I would make sure I didn't park too close to driveways so that the resident could easy manoeuvre out of their driveway.

#10 Wineandchocolate

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

The street is a public place and unless there is a legal reason such as  residents only parking you are free to park wherever you wish.

I understand that, but I guess I'm concerned about the possibility that people will get angry and damage/vandalise my car.  Not everyone is nice enough to leave a note only.

#11 katpaws

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Last year we housesat a home that did not have off street parking and the owners had their car parked outside the house so we could not park there (we have two cars, one is a work car). We would park where we could, as no-one owns the street and the on street parking. At least we thought so. We had people in the street banging on the door "move your car" or we would find rude notes left on the car windscreens - "move your car, this is my parking space", "don;t you dare park here!". If we dared remove the notes the writer would place another one on the car. In the same street someone used witches hats to "mark" out what they considered their parking area, even though they had a double garage and did not always used this area to park in.

No-one owns street parking spaces. We often find cars outside our place on the street and it sucks having to find another place to park (we are redoing out backyard and can't get the cars in atm), but we don't own them nor are we "entitled" to them.

Park where you want, as long as it is legal, is what i say.

#12 Guest_LILLIANA1_*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

If you parked in front of my house every day I would probably assume you had a hidden dope crop on our property and would call the police.  biggrin.gif  In the burbs, though, I wouldn't even notice.

#13 Funwith3

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

If there is no all day parking, wouldn't other people be doing the same thing as you? So therefore, you wouldn't be the only strange car parking in the residential street?

My work is in an office which is the only office in a residential street. I and a couple of other cars park in that residential street every day.

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Yes no one owns the street, but if it is a location with no off street parking, neighbours generally do consider he space outside their house as " theirs". Nice neighbourly thing is not to park in neighbours spot. Most people in our street do adhere to this philosophy.

If there is too much issues getting parking, people will petition council to get the area permit restricted. This happened in a street which intersects ours.

#15 Blossom73

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

We live within 5 km of the CBD and it happens all the time. Does not phase me - I don't own the street in front of my house.

If you were sitting in it all all with the engine running? Different story.

#16 agnodice

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I wouldn't even notice.

People care about these things?

#17 *Lib*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Drives me nuts when people park outside our house, that's where I park. I know it's not my space but it still drives me nuts!

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 19/01/2013, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drives me nuts when people park outside our house, that's where I park. I know it's not my space but it still drives me nuts!

This. We have a single driveway and two cars and sometimes WE need the space out the front of our house to swap cars over and stuff. It actually irritates me immensely. If we had a double driveway I probably wouldn't care but right now it drives me absolutely bananas!

#19 blackcat20

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I live a few blocks from the train station; we have the same set of cars parking in our street every day.

#20 *Lib*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 19/01/2013, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This. We have a single driveway and two cars and sometimes WE need the space out the front of our house to swap cars over and stuff. It actually irritates me immensely. If we had a double driveway I probably wouldn't care but right now it drives me absolutely bananas!

We do too, we also have those pathetically thin streets, so my car is up on our grass, which I hate when someone else does it Tounge1.gif the main thing in our next house is a double garage....if I can give any advice to new buyers, get a double garage!!! What really irritates me is that the people that park out the front have a garage and a driveway they can use, but their garage is full of furniture and sh*t!

#21 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Wouldn't bother me it happens all the time here as we live basically next door to a large public school.

When i used to work in town i had to do what you have to Op no one minded and my car never got damaged.

#22 starfire

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I can see both sides to the story - if someone parked in front of our house, we would be annoyed as it is a narrow street and is hard to see clearly when reversing out of our driveway so to have a car parked next to our driveway, it would add to the stress of backing out of our own driveway. And to add to it, there is already a car (owned by the people who live next door) parked permanently next to our house which makes turning into our driveway a bit tricky if coming in from one side.  Not a biggie but still annoying especially if it was done day in day out.

However in saying all of that, I would still park in a residental street and walk to work if it is not too far. Just be mindful of where you do park and try not to park in the same spot if you can help it out of respect.

#23 LynnyP

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

We live at the beach so, especially in summer, there are always cars parked outside our place and we just accept it.  Same as when we lived close to a park and ride place near the city.  However when I lived in deepest darkest suburbia and people would park outside my house I was affronted!  I imagine if there are lots of workers parking in the streets the residents would either get used to it or move away.

#24 Coffeegirl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

A little off topic but,

A few years ago, I had a job where we were working out of a house in suburbia.  Not technically legal, but the company was in between premises and it was a stop gap. There was 5 of us in the office, so not enough parking on/in the driveway.

I used to park up the street on a verge (I think that is the right word) that other local residents also used and was at the end of a dead end steeet.   One day a local elderly resident lost control of her car and slammed into mine.   One of the neighbours walked up to tell me.   I wasn't fazed about the car, was more worried about the driver.   After speaking to her daughter and ensuring she was alright, I gave her my details for insurance.

A couple days later, the daughter rang to tell me that the local residents all thought we were running a brothel  rolleyes.gif  because they saw us go in,, but not come out for hours.  I couldn't stop laughing!  

We all started parking further away after that, and ended up moving out permanently a few weeks later.  

OP, I see no reason why you couldn't park there, but as others said, just be respectful of where you park.  I'm sure there are lots of other local workers who do the same thing.

#25 EssentialBludger

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I did it when I worked in Leederville. I wasn't paying $15 per day for parking, 6 days a week. ph34r.gif

I never really stopped to wonder if people thought it was strange... There were always heaps of cars parked along the residential areas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.