Are nicknames real names?
I like Eddie, but not Edward

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 happyapple

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

So all the names I like for boys seem to be nicknames!
DS2 Dash is not short for anything and I have a nephew named Jimmy-not-short-for-anything
I guess it's not unheard of these days anyway!

This is my boys list
Alfie
Artie
Archie
Eddie
Ted

Any to add?

I think if it's a girl we will call her Daisy, but I am interested in something equally as pretty and underused as this?

Thanks for your help!

#2 Little.One

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

You know I'm in two minds about nicknamey names. On one hand I feel why not give a longer version of the name for future use, and on the other hand I think if you are only ever going to use the nickname why complicate matters and just use that name instead?

So each to their own I think! I'd rather use a nicknamey name then some of the other awful names out there related to fruit or food IMO laughing2.gif

If you prefer the nickname I'd just go with what you prefer. original.gif

ETA: my girls name of choice in a nicknamey style is Ellie but I dislike all the longer name variants.

Edited by Little.One, 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#3 Gudrun

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Of course one person's nickname can be another person's 'real' name.   And in time diminutives often lose nickname status.

Daisy can be a nickname too.  

I like these 'nickname' names for boys:

Ned
Zeke
Clem
Manny
Perry
Yul
Toby
Pip
Kit
Lenny
Barney
Moss
Leo
Ry
Max
Uri
Jack
Harry
Gil
Wil
Tim
Kes
Drew
Pax

#4 Chaos in stereo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#5 Corella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Katy

#6 Magnus

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I like nickname names. But I teach, and I find it frustrating when you call out a long name and the student grimaces and announces crankily, 'It's not Elizabeth, it's Libby' (or middle name, or something unrelated).

I do try to make a note of it on the roll, but it's still confusing because there's often at least five people per class with nicknames or preferred names, so I have scrawl all over the margins.

I think that if your nickname choice is a bit over the top or very juvenile sounding, like FiFi or Sammy, then I think it's better to give a full name. I like your choices, though, and I think they're wearable names for adults.

In terms of flower names, I just saw the name Aster, and I like it.

#7 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I consider all of those to be nicknames only and would never consider any of them as a full name but to be honest, I think a nickname as a full name is going to go much better with Dash than a full name with a nickname would.

Archie would have to be my pick from those.

Some other names/nicknames that you might like...
Dash and Levi
Dash and Eli
Dash and Toby
Dash and Nate
Dash and Theo
Dash and Jake
Dash and Quinn
Dash and Blair
Dash and Finn
Dash and Vinnie
Dash and Byron
Dash and Andy
Dash and Max
Dash and Benji
Dash and Saxon/Sax
Dash and Paddy

Dash and Maisie
Dash and Mila
Dash and Luna
Dash and Cleo
Dash and Iris
Dash and Ivy
Dash and Milla
Dash and Annie
Dash and Sadie
Dash and Ada
Dash and Ana
Dash and Tess/Tessa
Dash and Summer
Dash and Elsa
Dash and Isla

Edited by fifi-trixibelle, 19 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#8 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Edited by fifi-trixibelle, 19 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#9 kerilyntaryn

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

they can be depends on the name

these have as in them like the other 2
case
cash
chase
jase
casey
cassie

others

maisy
maggie
meg
bella
callie
millie
molly
abby
abe
ace
drew
jay
Josie
leo
theo
libby
max
nico
rocco
rose
sam
tess
zack
zeke

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Don't forget that you are not just naming a baby but also a child, teenager and adult. Names like Vinnie, Pip or Kit just don't cover all of these for me. I would always lean towards giving a baby a name with a couple of options so they can choose how they would like to be known as they get older.

#11 la di dah

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm split.

I like short names. Levi, Zane, Eli, Ari  / Clare, Jane, Ada, Ivy. But I don't generally like nicknames as full names.

However, I freely admit this is personal taste and to many people the difference between Ari and Archie is non-existant.

My favourites of what I think of nickname names, including at least a few I'd consider using alone:

Ned
Moss
Hank
Dan
Liam

and

Rue
Rae
Elle
Molly
Mae

#12 BetteBoop

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't see why not.

I've known many people who were known to the world only by their nicknames. I could rattle off a dozen famous people for that matter.

Whether on forms they have a longer, more 'formal' name is pretty irrelevant. Actually, my DD's nickname, which is a mash of first and middle names has become her actual name. We now use it on school forms.

I reckon use the name you like.

#13 Feraldasherie

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

It's not even a new thing, my grandmother was born in 1895 and was christened Katie Louise. But she was always known as Kit, so, a nickname of a nickname.

Call your baby the name you want to call them, but be prepared for it to change as well.

---

#14 tres-chic

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

That's funny, DS2's MN is Edward (even though I love it sooooooooooo much) because I just couldn't stand Eddie. (Still have some regrets there!).

I think each to their own really and that it's more important to find a name you both love and which suits your family than getting bogged down in convention.

#15 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

There are short names which I like and there a NM's which I like.  The name we will use normally if this is a girl witll be a NM, however having been given the full name as a child I like having a "back up more professional" sounding name when I give my name over the phone etc.  There are some names which are just too nick namy and don't use the "when the person is 80" thought, use the thought "when the person is between 25 - 45 and working and having to answer phones will the person be sniggering on the otherend.  Or when they enroll their own child at school will it raise eyebrows when the parents name is very nicknamey?"

#16 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I prefer to use the longer version of names, I have an Edward who is always called Ned / Neddy. I just think it gives more options and there are more benefits than negatives. He can go by Ned, Ed, Eddie, Ted or Edward without it being any issue. If he was just Ned, then he could really only go by Ned. I felt it was a name that would suit him from a baby up until he was an adult. No one has found it confusing as it is a common nick name for that name, I think if you tried to get something like Ned out of Benedict, a name where Ben would be the obvious nick name, then it's probably be better just to go with Ned IYKWIM.

One of my daughters is Victoria and we used to call her Tori, but she disliked it, and I really disliked Vicky, so she is pretty much always called Victoria now, with the odd 'Tor Tor', which was really only created for her younger siblings when they were learning to talk.

I'm not sure a name like Edward would 'fit' though for you OP with your other boys names, but something like Edison (nn Eddie), Theodore (nn Ted) might IMO.

#17 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I dislike nicknames-as-names.
Sure, some have become mainstream, especially the ones where the nickname bore no resemblance to the original name anyway, but anything ending with 'ie' sort of thing should just stay a nickname.

#18 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

OP clearly you have similar taste in names to me - I have a Daisy and an Alfie! I'm in two minds as to whether Teddy can be a stand alone name or whether we should go for Theodore and just call him Teddy. I think Eddie is perfectly acceptable original.gif

#19 emwill

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I also have an Edward, but he is always called "Teddy" always has been since he was born. My older kids nicknamed him "Bear" so he gets called that too and if you ask him what his name is he says "Bear"! I like that as he grows he has the option to be called Ted or Edward (I'm not keen on Ed or Eddie) but he can choose what fits him as he grows. On his enrollment forms for pre-school when asked his preferred name, the name he goes by, we put Teddy because he has never been called Edward -he wanted Bear of course!!

Edited by emwill, 23 January 2013 - 07:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.