Should we have a third child?
Really would like to, but cant really afford to..

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Feralishous

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Mini Mac @ 19/01/2013, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say go for it.  wink.gif

No amount of financial security can replace the magic of your own children, especially if that urge to expand your family is strong. You'd hate to look back and regret not having another. If you want the third badly enough, you'll find a way to make the money to provide for your needs.

Editted to add we will be going for no 3 within a year, despite being on a tight budget and just buying a more expensive house and starting a full reno on it... Some things aren't just about money...

agreed. I'd rather have to live frugally with x kids, than always feel that my family wasn't  compete

#27 BlueUnicorn

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (feliz6 @ 21/01/2013, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing that plays on my mind is what if any subsequent children had additional needs.  could I afford the OT speech therapy etc they may need. I know people in this situation and for some the public system just doesnt offet enough and the waiting lists can be phenomenal.  For me if mobey wss so tight I would be ubsble to afford therapies if needed I would chiosr not to have another chikd.

'What if' one of the children already here develops health/ learning issues or injury?  Anything can happen any time, including having a child with no issues.  For me, that reasoning wouldn't come onto the decision.  original.gif
Op we just had our third and he is the most awesome baby, I'd love another one.  I love how different and similar he is to the other two.  
Could you work when your Dh is home ? Ie nights or weekends at the cafe? Maybe a day or two a week of looking after a friends child then getting her to take yours for a day or two while you work?  Can you get back into the public service now and go part time after maternity leave? Retrain while you are pregnant?  Can you start stashing away some money now for maternity leave needs?

#28 tropics

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thankyou for all of the replies ladies, Im still in two minds although since reading the "go for it" replies and positive feedback, I still cannot decide..although I will have to decide quickly as I turn 40 this year and really hope  to get back into a government job from October 2014..

Not sure how I would cope with being pregnant and working on my feet for 30 to 35 hrs a week in a cafe! At least with my last two I was working in a admin job with the governement so not so hard on the body!

Will keep you all up to date with our decision...

Thanks again!

biggrin.gif

#29 R2B2

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

we recently had number 3.
she is the most magical thing that has ever happened to me  grin.gif

I think if its something you are agonising over so much, you know where your heart lies on the decision!!!

i'd desperately love a 4th, but my husband has firmly said no.
they do add extra costs, but the love they add is overwhelming.

don't listen to me though, I'm still living in baby bliss land!

#30 belinda1976

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'll be watching this thread very closely.  I'm almost 37 and DH has been pushing for a 3rd child for about 18 months now.

I'm just so unsure, my main concern is money.  I've been back at work 9 months, only 10 hours a week but the extra money is great.

If I was to have a third there would be just over 5 years in age gap between the new baby and my DD2 which worries me a bit too.

#31 zogee

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

We won't be having a 3rd due to finances. We both like some luxuries in life and love to travel, even if just interstate or to Bali etc. Plus my husband gets incredibly stressed about money and it would not be worth straining our relationship over. He also wants to retire as early as possible whereas I'm happy to work part time for a long while yet, so we need to look to the future and get the mortgage paid down.
I've made my peace with it now original.gif although when ds was  really young I felt differently. I think sometimes its just hormones!

#32 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have two and couldn't think of anything worse than having another  ph34r.gif

#33 strawberry blondes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Our 3rd turned out to be the most magical thing in our family. We are a really close family anyway but there is just something about her that pulls people in. I am now pg with no4 and we are going through some financial stresses but we are finding ways around it all. Money isn't everything, as long as bills are paid and food is on the table.

Go for it! You will only regret it.

#34 Bellefin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

I am wondering the same but my issues are step children (so too many kids for DH) and fertility issues. You already have a boy and a girl so it won't be a huge cost in clothes, toys or baby stuff because you already have it all. You can do babies/small children cheaply, there are some great free activities around. I figure by the time they are old enough to get expensive, like $200 a term activities, you won't be paying Childcare fees and should be back at work. I think you would make the money side of things work if you had to.
Personally I just can't get past the idea of a third and don't think I ever will. I may not be able to get pregnant which I could get over but I feel like I have to at least try or I will regret it.

#35 KirstenMc

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I agree with all those who say if you Really Really want a third, financial concerns should probably not be foremost, unless you are already really struggling.

BUT, I'd just like to throw out there that while child care is a big cost, kids also do cost more and more as they get older.  

We had our third child three years ago next week, and while I don't regret it for a second, I do think it's made out lives harder over all. And, over those same three years my eldest has gone from 8 to 11, and he now eats more than me, his clothes cost more than little kids clothes (and we don't get the hand me downs we used to, cause big kids wear through their clothes), and so on.

We have realised in the past couple of years that while we adjusted financially to earning less (we both work part time now - very lucky to be able to that - government jobs), we haven't really adjusted to how much more  we are spending, from clothes to food to electricity, and even to petrol, running kids around to activities (though we keep those to a minimum).

Still, I love my almost-three year old to bits, and wouldn't be without her. So no answers, just some more food for thought maybe.

#36 B.feral3

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

My third has been a difficult baby. He's 14 months old and I'm drained. If he had been my second I would not have had 3 children. If I'd known it was going to be like this, I would not have had 3 children.

I love him dearly of course. I know it's taboo but I do regularly consider though that it may have been better for our family had we not made the choice to have three when he was still a hypothetical child. I just can't wait for him to grow up and not be a baby any more and I never felt like that with the other two. I loved and cherished their babyhoods and never wanted it to end. My third whinges, cries, demands, clings, is frustrated, bored, and more from the time he wakes to the time he goes to bed. He isn't content by any stretch of the word.  

ETA: I read posts from others who say that going from 1 to 2 harder than 2 to 3. I have found going from 2 to 3 though enormously difficult. My older children are really low maintenance and easy going as well, plus they were 3 and 6 when the 3rd was born and completely self sufficient.  Handling 3 though and enjoying it as the same time has been challenging to say the least. My third has been taxied around and in out, in out, in out of the car for school pick up and drop off, kindy pick up and drop off, DS1's sporting commitments, DS2's sporting commitments, appointments and so on. All I do is run around constantly out and about and around the home.

We have absolutely no financial stress at all whatsoever. Gee, I couldn't imagine that on top of everything else!!

That is just me being open and honest.

Edited by Bek+3, 23 February 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#37 mibi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

We  have 3. All were a bit of a surprise, but we had tossed around the idea of a 3rd and then decided no. Only to then have an oops the month later. We love our little girls to bits. The finances are stretched, but to me that's not as much of an issue as just merely coping from day to day. I feel like I am permanently on the edge of coping and not. The ensuing chaos of 3 children and the extra workload is nearly more than I can cope with. If you think how much busier you were when your second came along, well, it's not just that again, it's 10x more busier. My elder 2 were 5.5 and 3.5 when DD was born and the eldest was just getting into team sports, he started school a few months later and so it just meant that we were (and are) always on the go. The housework is always a battle, the running around is neverending. I am permanently exhausted. I have worked parttime and been a SAHM since DD arrived and neither is easy. Our finances are stretched, but the strain that places pales into insignificance compared to managing the day to day chaos.

Would I have 3 in hindsight.....not sure - it depends on the day which child I would give back....lol. BUt I love nothing more than watching the relationship grow between the 3 of them. I love seeing the caring side of DS#1 come out when he's playing with DD and how he chooses to get down to toddler level and play with her. I love how she looks for and misses her brothers when they are at school. DD and DS#2 also have a special and close relationship that is beautiful to watch.

Edited by mibi, 23 February 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#38 Natttmumm

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

We just had number 3. We did have to make sure the budget would stretch. Can u wait until the other kids are school age so less daycare

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.