Overnight nanny
Payment rates

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jane01

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have hired an overnight nanny for when my husband and I are both away on work trips.  Previously we've juggled between us and have never needed a nanny overnight, but this year that doesn't seem possible.  

Does anyone have any advice for me about how to pay the nanny for the overnight hours?  Our children are primary school age, go to bed at around 7pm and don't wake up until 6.30-7pm the next day (no overnight wakings).  Usually hiring a nanny is easy: no. hours x hourly rate.  How does this translate to hours when the nanny is asleep?  We usually pay the nanny $25/hour, so an overnight stay would be quite expensive.  However, I want to reward her for the inconvenience of being responsible for our children and staying away from home.  

I was thinking of a flat rate, any ideas on how much?  We're in a capital city.  

Thanks

#2 sqawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I saw your post a few days ago but didn't get a chance to reply til now.  I dont have experience with an overnight nanny but do use a nanny during the day while i am at work, so do have to think about payrates etc.

I think I would use to different pay rates.  ie pay $25/hr for when the nanny is actively looking after the children or doing prep/housework etc, and one for the time when she is free of duties but still has to be at the house.  Im not sure exactly what sort of hrs you are looking for but for eg:
- if she worked 5pm til 8am. 5-8pm $25/hr, then 8pm-6am at say $10-$15/hr and then 6-8am at $25/hr.  You could add all that up and just quote a flat rate, or you could spell it out so she can see that she is being paid for every hr.  

I actually dont know what a "standard" overnight hrly rate would be, I guessed at $10-15.  We pay our daytime nanny $25/hr and our casual babysitter $20/hr for evening babysitting (when the kids are in bed for most of the time).

I guess also think about whether you are supply her food or not.  And things like whether you would allow her access to your internet service etc.  Also I assume you have a spare bed she can use, in her own room etc?

#3 papilio

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm not a nanny, but I do do passive/sleepover shifts in my job.  These are paid at a flat rate of $86.xx.  A few of our staff are ex-nannies.  On balance, compared with similar workplaces, this is fairly well paid. Another work place I know of pays staff $4.xx per hour for a passive/sleepover shift.  Some staff like doing passives, usually the young single ones.  I loathe them and hadn't done one for about a year until recently.

In your situation, I'd be tempted to call it an even $100 for the night. I'm sure you'll be providing a nice environment, spare room, comfortable bed, heating/cooling etc...

#4 Sif

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm sorry, but you really need to pay her the same whether the kids are asleep or not. What happens if one of the kids is sick - how does she prove to you she sat up with the child? Or if there is an emergency, you would expect her to care for your children then, for more than $10-15 per hour.

Althernatively, you could have a flat rate 'per night' fee... So, $150 per night, perhaps (works out to less than $15 per hour on a 12 hour shift...

ETA:

I'm not a nanny, but I do do passive/sleepover shifts in my job. These are paid at a flat rate of $86.xx. A few of our staff are ex-nannies. On balance, compared with similar workplaces, this is fairly well paid. Another work place I know of pays staff $4.xx per hour for a passive/sleepover shift.

Read this after I posted - Wow, that's a lot less than my husband was offered for overnight work last year. He was to be paid $80 per night for a single adult who was mostly self-sufficient anyway, but occasionally needed assistance overnight.

Edited by Sif, 21 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#5 papilio

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Sif's post reminded me that if the passive person is woken up, they get paid at their regular hourly rate for at least one hour.  They do, however, have the active person to validate this though.

#6 elizabethany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

The minium wage is $15.96 per hour.  I wouldn't be going below this, even if the kids are asleep, becaus ethe nanny is still responsible for your kids, and is still working, even if asleep.

#7 sqawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

So you could offer say $100/night but then extra if there are extra unexpected duties eg sickness.  The children are primary school aged, so they will be able to tell Mum is they were sick or not.  And I wouldn't employ a nanny to look after my children while I was interstate if I didn't think I could trust them to  truthfully report back whether they were sick, needed extra attention etc.

#8 sqawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

You could argue that if the nanny is asleep she is not working, but is "on-call".  There are a lot of workplaces that pay less that $16/hr to be on call (on site) and then extra if extra duties are required.

#9 IVL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

We have had our nanny do overnight duty a few times and we pay about $10 less per hour after 9pm, when the kids are asleep and then back up to normal rates after 6am. Remember all other costs still need to be paid like tax and super. We have never stipulated extra pay if children are sick etc. We are lucky that we have had a very good and long standing relationship with our nanny over the last 6 years. We have been good to her and she has been good to our family in turn.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Our old nanny charged $50/hour on weekends or overnight because she would have to get care for her own children.  Needless to say, we never used her for that!

#11 Lokum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Our nanny was paid $22 per hour during the day, and $15 per hour at night when he was asleep, agreed in advance. Actually, i said i would pay $15/hr starting one hour after his usual bed time.
However, i would trxt her during the evening and see how things were going. If he was having a disturbed night, i would always make up the extra to the 'awake' rate.
This was just for evening babysitting, when she could doze on the couch or watch tv, but still had to go home, and didnt have an actual bed in her own room. If she was staying overnight in her own room, i would expect the passive hours when the child was asleep to be around $10/hr, and perhaps include a simple dinner/ pizza money and use of the wifi.

#12 Jane01

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the input.  Yes, I confirm that I will provide a private room and bathroom (ensuite), all meals, wifi, heating/cooling/etc.

#13 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Funny how people think YOU set the rate for an overnight nanny.

Why not just ask the nanny how much they charge? I have never met a nanny so desperate for work that she is willing to drop her price.

Besides, it's not about being able to sleep and 'not work'. It's about being in someone else's house and NOT your own house/bed. It doesn't matter how much you don't work, it's still being at work. So pay up.

#14 Jane01

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Take a chill pill people.  I am not suggesting I don't pay her or that I under pay her.  There is a convention surrounding overnight nannies and I am trying to understand current Australian practice.

#15 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

I just thought I'd add this for people reading this thread who work nights or shift work. We use a family day carer overnight and on weekends. We pay $8.50 an hour per child and then get the 50% CCR and any CCB back from the goverment. Lots of people don't realise it's even an option

#16 GenWhy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Does the FDC person come to your house or do you need to take your kids to them? I have 3 kids so most FDC won't consider me due to having their own kids pushing over the allowed ratio or other kids in their care etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.