Overnight nanny
Payment rates

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jane01

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have hired an overnight nanny for when my husband and I are both away on work trips.  Previously we've juggled between us and have never needed a nanny overnight, but this year that doesn't seem possible.  

Does anyone have any advice for me about how to pay the nanny for the overnight hours?  Our children are primary school age, go to bed at around 7pm and don't wake up until 6.30-7pm the next day (no overnight wakings).  Usually hiring a nanny is easy: no. hours x hourly rate.  How does this translate to hours when the nanny is asleep?  We usually pay the nanny $25/hour, so an overnight stay would be quite expensive.  However, I want to reward her for the inconvenience of being responsible for our children and staying away from home.  

I was thinking of a flat rate, any ideas on how much?  We're in a capital city.  

Thanks

#2 sqawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I saw your post a few days ago but didn't get a chance to reply til now.  I dont have experience with an overnight nanny but do use a nanny during the day while i am at work, so do have to think about payrates etc.

I think I would use to different pay rates.  ie pay $25/hr for when the nanny is actively looking after the children or doing prep/housework etc, and one for the time when she is free of duties but still has to be at the house.  Im not sure exactly what sort of hrs you are looking for but for eg:
- if she worked 5pm til 8am. 5-8pm $25/hr, then 8pm-6am at say $10-$15/hr and then 6-8am at $25/hr.  You could add all that up and just quote a flat rate, or you could spell it out so she can see that she is being paid for every hr.  

I actually dont know what a "standard" overnight hrly rate would be, I guessed at $10-15.  We pay our daytime nanny $25/hr and our casual babysitter $20/hr for evening babysitting (when the kids are in bed for most of the time).

I guess also think about whether you are supply her food or not.  And things like whether you would allow her access to your internet service etc.  Also I assume you have a spare bed she can use, in her own room etc?

#3 papilio

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm not a nanny, but I do do passive/sleepover shifts in my job.  These are paid at a flat rate of $86.xx.  A few of our staff are ex-nannies.  On balance, compared with similar workplaces, this is fairly well paid. Another work place I know of pays staff $4.xx per hour for a passive/sleepover shift.  Some staff like doing passives, usually the young single ones.  I loathe them and hadn't done one for about a year until recently.

In your situation, I'd be tempted to call it an even $100 for the night. I'm sure you'll be providing a nice environment, spare room, comfortable bed, heating/cooling etc...

#4 Sif

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm sorry, but you really need to pay her the same whether the kids are asleep or not. What happens if one of the kids is sick - how does she prove to you she sat up with the child? Or if there is an emergency, you would expect her to care for your children then, for more than $10-15 per hour.

Althernatively, you could have a flat rate 'per night' fee... So, $150 per night, perhaps (works out to less than $15 per hour on a 12 hour shift...

ETA:

I'm not a nanny, but I do do passive/sleepover shifts in my job. These are paid at a flat rate of $86.xx. A few of our staff are ex-nannies. On balance, compared with similar workplaces, this is fairly well paid. Another work place I know of pays staff $4.xx per hour for a passive/sleepover shift.

Read this after I posted - Wow, that's a lot less than my husband was offered for overnight work last year. He was to be paid $80 per night for a single adult who was mostly self-sufficient anyway, but occasionally needed assistance overnight.

Edited by Sif, 21 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#5 papilio

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Sif's post reminded me that if the passive person is woken up, they get paid at their regular hourly rate for at least one hour.  They do, however, have the active person to validate this though.

#6 elizabethany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

The minium wage is $15.96 per hour.  I wouldn't be going below this, even if the kids are asleep, becaus ethe nanny is still responsible for your kids, and is still working, even if asleep.

#7 sqawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

So you could offer say $100/night but then extra if there are extra unexpected duties eg sickness.  The children are primary school aged, so they will be able to tell Mum is they were sick or not.  And I wouldn't employ a nanny to look after my children while I was interstate if I didn't think I could trust them to  truthfully report back whether they were sick, needed extra attention etc.

#8 sqawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

You could argue that if the nanny is asleep she is not working, but is "on-call".  There are a lot of workplaces that pay less that $16/hr to be on call (on site) and then extra if extra duties are required.

#9 IVL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

We have had our nanny do overnight duty a few times and we pay about $10 less per hour after 9pm, when the kids are asleep and then back up to normal rates after 6am. Remember all other costs still need to be paid like tax and super. We have never stipulated extra pay if children are sick etc. We are lucky that we have had a very good and long standing relationship with our nanny over the last 6 years. We have been good to her and she has been good to our family in turn.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Our old nanny charged $50/hour on weekends or overnight because she would have to get care for her own children.  Needless to say, we never used her for that!

#11 Lokum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Our nanny was paid $22 per hour during the day, and $15 per hour at night when he was asleep, agreed in advance. Actually, i said i would pay $15/hr starting one hour after his usual bed time.
However, i would trxt her during the evening and see how things were going. If he was having a disturbed night, i would always make up the extra to the 'awake' rate.
This was just for evening babysitting, when she could doze on the couch or watch tv, but still had to go home, and didnt have an actual bed in her own room. If she was staying overnight in her own room, i would expect the passive hours when the child was asleep to be around $10/hr, and perhaps include a simple dinner/ pizza money and use of the wifi.

#12 Jane01

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the input.  Yes, I confirm that I will provide a private room and bathroom (ensuite), all meals, wifi, heating/cooling/etc.

#13 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Funny how people think YOU set the rate for an overnight nanny.

Why not just ask the nanny how much they charge? I have never met a nanny so desperate for work that she is willing to drop her price.

Besides, it's not about being able to sleep and 'not work'. It's about being in someone else's house and NOT your own house/bed. It doesn't matter how much you don't work, it's still being at work. So pay up.

#14 Jane01

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Take a chill pill people.  I am not suggesting I don't pay her or that I under pay her.  There is a convention surrounding overnight nannies and I am trying to understand current Australian practice.

#15 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

I just thought I'd add this for people reading this thread who work nights or shift work. We use a family day carer overnight and on weekends. We pay $8.50 an hour per child and then get the 50% CCR and any CCB back from the goverment. Lots of people don't realise it's even an option

#16 GenWhy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Does the FDC person come to your house or do you need to take your kids to them? I have 3 kids so most FDC won't consider me due to having their own kids pushing over the allowed ratio or other kids in their care etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

In a bizarre bid for relevancy, Former Opposition leader Mark Latham has deduced that because one female journalist had this week light-heartedly thanked antidepressants and caffeine for getting her through a medical degree while raising two small children, that ergo, all 'inner-city feminists' are selfish harridans who despise their offspring.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Duchess's letter to grieving mum

The Duchess of Cambridge has written to a grieving mum on a "very difficult" day.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.