Names for grandparents...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hoping2BaMummy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

So I was trying to avoid this debate this early (I'm only 4wks!!) but it started last night when we told DH mum & stepdad. In my family the dads mum was grandma, and the mums mum was nan. I was thinking this is the way we'd go as my mums mum was my nan and thought shed like this. But MIL last night said she's going to be nanna... I'd pre-warned DH beforehand that I didn't want to go there yet so we ignored it. She said her boys called her mum that, but she's forgotten that she's now on the boys side!!

I'm not even sure about the grandpa side of things bcos I only ever knew 1 of my grandpa's, so he was grandpa.

#2 copham

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you want as the parents will call themselves what they want. My mum and dad are nanny and poppy to the grand kids and I like that my Inlaws however MIL insists in being called mama (I hate this as to be its a name for me the mother) it doesn't matter how many times I have approached her about my discomfort she will still call herself mama whilst FIL is grandpa. Originally MIL was grandmother but she shortened it to mama.

I hope your situation is different but I find that no matter what MIL uses what she wants with no respect to me.

#3 Cranky Kitten

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Oddly enough, even if they wind up calling themselves the same thing, it still works out. My mum decided early on when my niece was born that she wanted to be Nanna, this has kind of evolved to Nanny now that she's got a few more grandies. DH's mum is also Nanna to SIL's kids already, so DD occasionally says "Nanna Austen" or "Nanna Whyte" but directly to them it's still just Nanna.

You may also find that your kids make up their own names - my step grandfather was called Corgi by the oldest grandchild and it stuck forever and a day. My stepfather sometimes gets called Gannon as the kids struggled with "Grandad"

Let your parents pick what they like - it'll evolve when the kids start talking anyway.

#4 haras1972

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

is this the first grandchild on both sides? If not, you may have to go with what's already established by the other grandchildren.

Growing up both my grandmothers were called Nana - it's not really a big deal...

Honestly, let it go - you may find that your child has a pet name that they prefer to us - my cousin always called my Nana Kath, Kay-Kay, right up to her death when my cousin would have been in her 20's.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I found the last thing my mum wanted to be called was what her mum was called ( I believe anything but that was the phrase used).

We have slight Italian ancestors, so my folks decided to be Nonna and Nonno ( I had nan and pop ).  That was more because SIL was German and her folks were oma and opa

MIL decided she wanted to be Nanny.

Like PP said they pick their name.

options I want when my time comes.... Grandy. I know my GGGGrandmother was Duchess.

Eta it is a family joke that one of my kids refers to my folks as the two Nonnos.

My Grandmother (still kicking at 94) was Nan to all of my cousins, but wants to be Nanny G with her GGrandkids. Works OK....except mil is a Nanny G too.

Edited by lsolaBella, 19 January 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

It doesn't really matter what the grandparents decide, kids tend to have their own minds about it.

My ils spent months deciding what they wanted to be called. Fil wanted grand dad, mil wanted grandma.
Ds calls fil Papa, we think he was trying to say grandpa, but it's stuck now. Mil was called Lady for a time, and now she's called something that sounds like Ema, we think he's think he was trying to say grandma.

Mum who wanted Nanna is Nanna. I expect Nanna is a bit easier to say, plus she is already Nanna to my nephew so the family use it already.

Whatever happens will work out, even if you have two Nanna's.

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

My parents are Grandma and Grandfather and DHs parents died when he was young. I agree with some PPs that children often make up their own names for their grandparents. My neighbours grandsons call him Grar and their other grandfather is Fart. Another friend's children call their grandfather Mumps.

#8 probyber

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

my mum wanted just Ma and Dad wanted Pa HOwie, the Ma stayed its what we all call her and dad anded up being powie. Pa Howie combined. Wouldn't have it any other way.

#9 Akeyo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

We asked the respective grandparents what they wanted to be called and left it up to them, there was no crossover. My parents are classic baby boomers who weren't keen on the usual Grandma/Grandpa title (forever young!) so have their own unique monikers which works. The PIL went the traditional route of Nanny and Pa.

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 19/01/2013, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you want as the parents will call themselves what they want. My mum and dad are nanny and poppy to the grand kids and I like that my Inlaws however MIL insists in being called mama (I hate this as to be its a name for me the mother) it doesn't matter how many times I have approached her about my discomfort she will still call herself mama whilst FIL is grandpa. Originally MIL was grandmother but she shortened it to mama.

I hope your situation is different but I find that no matter what MIL uses what she wants with no respect to me.

I find that quite bizarre! I would be very uncomfortable with that too PinkNBlue85, there is a huge difference between Grandmother and Mama - it's not a natural shortening at all! Your child has only one mama and that's you. And strange that even though you have voiced your feelings about it, she has persisted. As you say, that is so disrespectful.

#10 marnie27

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

My children have seven living grandparents, and all the grandmothers wanted to be Nanna. We ended up with Nanna (mil) Nanna Sxxx (their dad's mum) Nanna Mxxx (their dad's stepmum) and Nanna Pxxx (my stepmum) - so Nanna and their first name. We also have Poppy (fil) Poppy Gxxx (their dad's dad) and Grandad Jxxx (my dad) - no idea why he gets his first name tagged on as he is the only grandad except it sounds good and it "matches" better with his partner.

The only stipulation we had that no one could share a title with my mum as she passed away many years ago before the kids were born. I wanted her to have something with my kids no one else has. It's bittersweet to hear my little boy point her out in pictures and refer to Grandma Jxxx.  

Don't worry too much about the shared name thing - my kids have four Nannas and it worked out fine.

#11 Pompol

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I had two Nannas. I named them after their pets, so where there was any confusion or they were both present, I called one Kitty Nanna  and the other Puppy Nanna. In hindsight, probably  offensive calling my dear, sweet grandmother a dog, but given I was an adorable tiny child at the time it started, no feelings hurt wink.gif

My kids have two Nannas too. DS has given them nicknames - we have (cousin's name) Nanna who lives in our hometown with us and said cousin, and (distant city) Nanna. MIL was adamant she would be "Nanny" and has tried to make the kids use the word, but even with my reinforcing it, this has never stuck. My daughter insists on calling my father "oh-poppa" to everyone's amusement, no idea where that came from either.

So I guess my point is - it REALLY doesn't matter if grandmothers use  the same word, and at the end of the day your kids will probably put their own spin on things anyway original.gif

As or "Mama", do they happen to be Italian?  I knew a family growing up who called their grandmothers "Mama". In our extended family we have a set of croatian grandparents (Baba/Didda). Baba is pronounced "Bubba" and this causes no end of confusion for little ones and outsiders, but given the importance of the cultural reference for the people involved there's no way we couldn't (or wouldn't) use it.

#12 Lulu_R_S

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I had asked both my mum and my mil what they wanted to be called. My mum is grandma and his mum is Nanna. DD has since changed both so Nanna became Nanny and grandma became G'G. My dad wasn't super involved before he passed so he got called grandpa as the Fil is granddad. Fil has a new partner who has asked DD to call her Nanna Jo but she just calls her Jo. It's hard when parents are difficult but as pp have said you'll find the kids often end up coming up with their own special names

#13 binchen

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

We are using Oma and Opa (German) for all of them. First name added when they are all in one room (rarely happened) otherwise just Oma and Opa.

#14 ~Bells~

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Names for grandparents can be a tricky one. I'm fortunate that this bub is not the first grandchild for either side, so names are already established by other grandchildren. DH's parents are Grandma and Grandad and my parents are Nan and Pa.

Though when my sister was having her bub (first grandchild on either side) there was a fuss. My mother was adamant that she would only be Nan, not Nanna (her MIL) or Nanny (she just didn't like it) but my nephew eventually started calling her Nanny (we encouraged it) and now she doesn't mind it. My father was a little resistant to becoming a grandparent and refused to decide on a title - we joked that the baby could call him "Grumps", which he didn't like. But towards the end of her pregnancy, he just came out with "I want to be Pa" and that was that! FTR - he loves being a Pa.

My sisters PILs have the names for grandparents for their culture, so that was easy.

Good luck OP, your parents will choose what they want, and your kids will either go along with it, or come up with their own names for them. original.gif

#15 Hoping2BaMummy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone, you've put my mind at ease! First child, and first grandchild... We'll just go with the flow I think!! Love the variety of names.

#16 TheChipAddict

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

We went with Grandama for my mum, which as soon as DD (now 12.5yrs) could speak became Mamma, as she couldn't pronounce Grandma. Maternal grandfather was immediately Grumpsy, shortened to Grumps, as in reality, he is a fairly grumpy man!! He likes it, so it's all good.  Paternal grandparents are Nan and Da, which s easy.mi love that the maternal grandparents names are very personal, reflect them and their wishes. rolleyes.gif

#17 copham

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Pompol @ 19/01/2013, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As or "Mama", do they happen to be Italian?  I knew a family growing up who called their grandmothers "Mama". In our extended family we have a set of croatian grandparents (Baba/Didda). Baba is pronounced "Bubba" and this causes no end of confusion for little ones and outsiders, but given the importance of the cultural reference for the people involved there's no way we couldn't (or wouldn't) use it.

Nope not Italian I think if it was a cultural thing I could let it slide, MIL just likes to be incharge and be "mother hen" to all.

#18 Aspiring2BaGiraffe

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I had 2 Grandmas growing up - but one Grandad, one Grandpa.  We would use last names to say who we were talking about, but would just call them Grandma etc to their face.What annoys me though is that my brother and I are the oldest on my mums side and so we have called her Grandma for 30 years. All my other 8 cousins call her Nanna! I don't think you can change it when a new kid is born! Anyway too late now!
My parents are already called Nanna and Grandad by my nephew. I'm going to ask my MIL what name she would like to use.  And if she wants to be Nanna too that's fine!
I've joked with DH that we can use their hair as descriptors. My mum has short spiky hair and MIL has long curly hair...spiky Nanna and curly Nanna! Done!

#19 cassidysmummy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

My mum in Grandma and MIL Is Nanna, Bot Grandads are Grandad.

My mum in Grandma and MIL Is Nanna, Both Grandads are Grandad.

#20 somila

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

From the current generation of grandparents (my siblings and their in-laws included) we have ...

Grandma, Grandpa, Grandy, Poppa, Nanny, Pappy, Gung-gung, Paw-paw, Mamatje, Babatje.

Please excuse any multi-cultural spelling errors (I've never seen the Chinese and Indian ones written), but as the OP said, the variety is gorgeous isn't it?

I'm planning on being Grandma, but as long as it's not Nanna, Nan, or Nanny I won't mind!

#21 Choufleur

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

My mum is Granny, which is what her mum was to us.

DH's mother is also Granny to the cousins - she lives in the UK so it's not such an issue, but all the cousins call her Granny Brigid (and the other one they call Granny Rita I think her name is).  I'm not big on using first names, I thought we'd call her Granny B but we haven't been to the UK, and when they were here DD was very tiny.

I'm sure we'll sort something out...

#22 Tiger-lily

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 19/01/2013, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I called my grandmother Mama and I wouldn't of had it any other way. She also called her grandmother Mama and when I become a grandmother I want to be Mama! I've seen so many people comment saying that it would be confusing for a child but my sister, cousins & myself never had any "confusion" about it original.gif My parents haven't really decided what they would like to be called. MIL is already called Nan and FIL Pop. My great grandmother was 'Nin' so maybe that.

#23 hanz33

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Hoping2BaMummy @ 19/01/2013, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I was trying to avoid this debate this early (I'm only 4wks!!) but it started last night when we told DH mum & stepdad. In my family the dads mum was grandma, and the mums mum was nan. I was thinking this is the way we'd go as my mums mum was my nan and thought shed like this. But MIL last night said she's going to be nanna... I'd pre-warned DH beforehand that I didn't want to go there yet so we ignored it. She said her boys called her mum that, but she's forgotten that she's now on the boys side!!

I'm not even sure about the grandpa side of things bcos I only ever knew 1 of my grandpa's, so he was grandpa.

why not let the child decide, she/he will end up giving them a name. I don't see it as a big deal though I will ask the grand parents what they would like to be called and initially call them that in front of the baby.

I feel like it is something the Grandparents can enjoy and feel apart of the family.

#24 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Let them choose - our children have 5 grandparents, 2 living great-grandparents and a step-great-grandparent.  In addition to all those different names, my children call my BFF's mother Nanna Surname.

#25 theweehaggis

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

we have a 'panga' (grampa but DDs version) 'gan gan' (gran but the other two grandkids call her gan gan so its stuck!) a granny and grandad and a grandma (great granny, the other great granny has little to do so there has never been the need) - they are all in the uk where the grans and grandas seem to be more common. lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.