Nappy Bins
Fancy twist bags worth it?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LittleSpoon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

So I've been looking at nappy bins for when bub arrives in March.  Has anyone used the ones that twist around? Are they worth it? The refills seem quite expensive and don't provide much information about how long they last.
What's a good alternative? I have an inquisitive puppy who likes pulling things out of bins, so sometime relatively secure would be good.

#2 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

I didn't get one, I wouldn't waste my money if I was you. I buy packs of nappy sacks (small plastic bags, you can find them in the baby section of the supermarket) and have them near change table. I generally put about 3 nappies in them and then put it in the wheelie bin outside. Now that bub is eating food and has smelly poos, they go straight into the outside bin if he's done a poo. I use a lot of cloth nappies too.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 19 January 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#3 Mamabear2010

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I bought one and used it when ds was a little baby. If I had my time over, I wouldn't bother.When ds went through lots of nappies, I used to use a bin near his room. Now that he's older and uses less nappies,  I use nappy sacks (I like the woolworths brand) and put the nappies downstairs near the door to put outside in the bin when we next go out.

I think an inquisitive puppy could still make its way into a twist nappy bin thingy. I recommend finding a secure bin that your puppy can't get into and it will be cheaper.

#4 ~Supernova~

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

The novelty is nice, but complete waste of money. We have a bin in the bathroom for wet nappies, and poops (what a strange word that is lol) go into the wheelie bin (early days they would temporarily go in the wet nappy bin until morning).

#5 Mrs Emma

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I was given one and whilst initially I thought it was a waste of money, I actually quite like it. The refills are expensive, around $10 each (when on special) and they last around 3-4 weeks. I like mine because in the early days you go through so many nappies and we live in a high set house, I think I would have been going up and down the stairs a zillion times. It contains the smell really well.
I am not sure it's a necessity but it definitely has it's benefits. They are quite often on special quite cheapy on the mumgo website.

#6 *lightning

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I use a nappy bin (big white bin) and its kept in the laundry. Laundry door is usually shut and there's a child gate on it.

#7 Nanns

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I had twins and it was a long walk to the bins outside. I liked ny nappy bins

#8 LittleSpoon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the tips.  Yeah it sounds likens probably not really worth it for us... It's not that far to our wheelie bin outside. So I might get a small bin for the nursery and just take it out whoever it smells.

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm trying really hard to come up with a non-offensive way of saying this, but whatever.

You're taking a product that is already going to take hundreds of years to break down in landfill, filling it with human faeces (that really should be going into a treatment facility) and then wrapping it in more non biodegrable plastic.  Because a bit of smell is gross.

#10 ~buzz~

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Dylan's Mummy @ 19/01/2013, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't get one, I wouldn't waste my money if I was you. I buy packs of nappy sacks (small plastic bags, you can find them in the baby section of the supermarket) and have them near change table. I generally put about 3 nappies in them and then put it in the wheelie bin outside. Now that bub is eating food and has smelly poos, they go straight into the outside bin if he's done a poo. I use a lot of cloth nappies too.

this is what we do.

#11 vanessa71

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (LittleSpoon @ 18/01/2013, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I've been looking at nappy bins for when bub arrives in March.  Has anyone used the ones that twist around? Are they worth it? The refills seem quite expensive and don't provide much information about how long they last.

Don't bother, biggest waste of money.

#12 Toothfairy01

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Bub is 3mo and breastfed so her poos are not really that offensive. We have an Angelcare pedal bin and I love it. You step on the pedal, the lid opens, put the nappy in the first compartment and as the lid closes, the nappy drops into the larger compartment underneath. No odours but the test will be when when we start solids.

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (epg @ 19/01/2013, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying really hard to come up with a non-offensive way of saying this, but whatever.

You're taking a product that is already going to take hundreds of years to break down in landfill, filling it with human faeces (that really should be going into a treatment facility) and then wrapping it in more non biodegrable plastic.  Because a bit of smell is gross.

So I'm assuming you use cloth pads, don't buy products in packaging, don't use plastic bags, don't shop at places that transport stock in massive layers upon layers of plastic and foam, don't use chemical that go down the drain, don't use chemicals on your garden, don't use manure on your garden and don't put your pet's poos into the rubbish bin, then?

#14 cuddlebud

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

We have one and am a big fan. It's an angel care one too and goes through the refills a bit slower. Good smell containment (bubs is on solids too). Saves us going out to the bin which was also good in winter and when bubs is rolling, you can't really leave them alone and it's a pia to put them in the bouncer or rug them up just to go to the bin. Also kept the nappies away from the dog and I don't like the idea of putting them in the kitchen bin or stinking out the bathroom. The refills are a bit expensive, we have the angel care one which uses them a bit slower.

Ours was a freebie but have seen lots on eBay or gumtree. Have also heard of people putting them in the nappy sacks and then in the bins if that helps.

#15 LittleSpoon

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pooks-fembo - thanks for the back up!  I actually see epg's point, and the irony is that I was hoping to use biodegradable nappies anyway, but there is already enough to feel guilty about!!  I think we have to find a balance between ease of use/our sanity and doing our best for sustainability etc.

Anyway, I happily found a compromise.  I bought a purpose built nappy bin by Korbell.  It doesn't do the twist thing and the liners are biodegradable.  It was quite a good price and has a good dog-proof flap.  It also converts into a normal bin or cloth-nappy bin (with laundry bags).  So I think it should serve us well!  Bub is due to arrive any day now so time will tell!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.