Healthy and filling lunch ideas?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Funnington

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I've been far more health conscious the past few weeks.  Lunch's previously (mostly at work) were leftovers, toasted sandwiches or the cafe' (think airline type food ... zero taste, excellent presentation biggrin.gif )  

I've been taking things like - mountain bread wraps filled with light cheese, avocado, mung beans/sprouts, cucumber, tomato and lettuce, a mixed salad with a couple of boiled eggs or, brown rice crackers with sliced cucumber, tomato, avocado, cheese and sometimes a handful of olives.

By late afternoon I could eat the leg of my desk chair.  While I'm certainly adopting a healthier style of eating during lunch, it's hardly filling a hole in my tooth!

Could the health conscious give me some ideas on healthy lunch's which include the right balance of protein, carbs etc. (I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff) that will keep me fuller, longer.  I do have a piece of fruit in the afternoon to combat the hungry's but, I'm still inclined to raid the charity chocolates because I'm so hungry.

No weight issues (although, I'm a few kilo's over my ideal weight), no allergies and my only dislike is seafood.

Thank you!

#2 Escapin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

It's OK to have arvo tea! An apple or a small yoghurt or a handful of nuts would probably do the trick.

#3 katrina24

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hi, I love quinoa salads with any combo of protein, veges you like.  I usually boil the quinoa in stock and then squeeze in some lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.  Then I add whatever I have. I love chicken breast (cooked and chopped),mint, parsley,red onion, cherry tomatoes, capsicum and feta.  I also like roasted pumpkin, spinach, feta and pine nuts.  

Zucchini slice (taste.com.au) is nice with some salad.

#4 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I agree with the PP: afternoon tea!  I (and DS) love some natural yogurt with a cucumber grated in it (tatziki) with some rice crackers or oven baked mountain bread "chips".

#5 F1widow

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

A salad made with the above and brown rice.

Rice is the most filling thing! If I have sushi for lunch at midday I won't really get hungry until 5pm (normally I eat every 2-3 hours)

Four bean mix makes a really good protein supplement if you want to do a vego salad (or like me, out of cheese and canned tuna)

Having healthy snacks like trail mix means you'll avoid the charity boxes.

Signing up for something like Harvest Box delivered every week helps me to ensure I'm snacking on good stuff (with treats like chocolate buttons thrown in for good measure).

#6 Phoenix Blue

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

If you are not trying to lose weight, then you are eating very low calorie lunch. They sound less than 300 calories. No wonder you're hungry!

Instead of crackers (no real nutritional value) How about a wholemeal or grain roll. Mountain bread is only about 70 calories while a roll will be 200. Try some bergen bread. You need some slow release carbs.  Make sure you've got some protein too. Ham, chicken, tuna, egg etc. then fill with all your salads.

Then have a piece of fruit, or a yogurt.

And as a pp said, have some afternoon tea! You should be eating at least every 3 hours.

HTH

#7 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

The other thing I find is that I often get the munchies mid afternoon if I am thirsty, so make sure you are having enough water.

#8 Guest_~Coffee~_*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

What you eat for breakfast has a big impact on your hunger levels for the rest of the day. Eating a breakfast based on protein such as a sugar free protein shake or an omelette etc will keep you fuller for longer. Base your lunch on protein as well, mixed with salad. Starchy carbs will make you hungrier as they stimulate your appetite.

Basically breakfast, lunch and dinner should all be protein based. Portion size per meal is one palm (without fingers). Snack time is a good chance to get in fruit.

#9 Funnington

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

They sound less than 300 calories. No wonder you're hungry!

Shows how much I know ... I always thought counting calories was a no-no???  I'm not even sure whether I'm slightly overweight, or within a healthy weight range.  I'm 174cm and 69kg's.  I feel really pudgy around the tummy area at the moment.

Maybe I'm not eating enough then?  It would certainly explain the headaches and lethargy.  I think I'm confusing myself with weight loss v's healthy eating.

A snapshot of yesterday:

1 pear for breakfast and a cup of Milo with full cream milk

Lunch was a salad (about a cup of lettuce), half a small cucumber, a medium sized tomato, a few strips of red capsicum and two boiled eggs.

1 apple for afternoon tea

About 1/2 dozen boiled lollies to curb my sweet tooth

Dinner - steamed pumpkin, beans and mushrooms.  

I was as hungrier yesterday than what I was today though.  In addition to eating better, I'm also trying to detox (too much alcohol and fatty foods over Christmas made me feel blergh).

Edited by Funnington, 18 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#10 Funnington

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Basically breakfast, lunch and dinner should all be protein based.

What are some good protein examples?  I only associate protein with meat.

so make sure you are having enough water.

I've always drank a lot of water.

Edited by Funnington, 18 January 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#11 HollyDocker

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'll give you an idea of my daily diet. I'm 162cm and 58kgs.

Breakfast - 1-2 eggs and a small slice of toast, usually with veg of some kinds - spinach, mushrooms, tomato. I eat dark rye sourdough, so it is heavy and filling - hence, a small slice is enough.

Morning tea - usually don't need it, but if I am hungry or peckish, 1 piece of fruit does me.

Lunch - BIG salad, with protein of some kind - tuna, left over meat, 1/2 can chickpeas, beans or lentils, with a sprinkle of sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds and an olive oil dressing.

Afternoon tea - apple and a small piece of cheese

Dinner - lots of veg  and another serve of protein of some kind.

Dessert - natural yoghurt and some berries, shredded coconut and cacao nibs.

That is a lot of food compared to you! Please don't starve yourself in an attempt to get healthy. Your body needs fuel! Good sources of protein are: meat, fish, eggs, beans, chickpeas, lentils, nuts, seeds, cheese.  Make sure that whenever you eat, you balance out any quick burning foods, like fruit or veg, with a good quality protein and you should be able to maintain nice, steady blood sugar levels.

Edited by Schnitzelvonkrumb, 18 January 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#12 Funnington

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Reflecting back, I've really (really) limited meat because I think we eat far too much.  But, I've stupidly forgot to include protein.  

Thanks for the tips.  I should have posted this in the health/fitness section to be honest but as I mentioned, it wasn't essentially about weight loss ... just giving my body a good clean out.

#13 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Higher protein doesn't have to mean meat.

I make small quiches in muffin tins by making a filling of cottage cheese, eggs, spinach, and whatever else you might like, and lining the muffin tin with a piece of mountain bread instead of pastry.  

For breakfast, if you want protein, but a change from eggs, yogurt is high in protein. I am loving natural yogurt topped with homemade muesli (I chock mine full of seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseed, etc for extra calcium and iron).

#14 Funnington

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks so much for the ideas.  I read about the Great Australian Diet once and I recall the starting point was pretty much fresh fruit and vegetables (and making dishes around these ingredients).

At the moment, I feel like I'm eating rabbit food.  I just worked about I've lost around 3 kg's this week unsure.gif  Probably not an ideal weight loss for my height to weight ratio.

I'll be taking ideas on board and adding more protein to my lunches and dinner from her on in.

#15 ~Catherine~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

If you want to keep a check on calories, use my fitness pal .... can be on the computer or a phone app. You add all your foods and it counts calories, protein etc ... you can also scan barcodes of the foods you are eating and add any exercise in

#16 Funnington

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

If you want to keep a check on calories, use my fitness pal

I have been using that.  Not essentially for counting calories but, to keep a diary of exercise, food consumed and weigh-ins.  I'm so out of the loop that I assumed calorie counting was a thing of the past.  

I have a wedding in six weeks and have probably quite dangerously set my calorie intake to 1200 per day. ohmy.gif Maybe it would explain why I'm ravenous.

#17 ~Catherine~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am on 1200 and  never find that I am hungry biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Thief uses breast milk as weapon

Police are on the hunt for a thief who robbed a pharmacy using her lactation skills.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.