Name nerds! John or Jean, which came first?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ~~~

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

So we're going through some names and were trying to figure out the background of some of them.

So the discussion arises of whether John or Jean (French version) came about first? All I can find is biblical references and this link: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=john

So, oh wise name nerds of EB, what are your thoughts?

Thanks original.gif

#2 Lyra

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Old French trumps English ie early English were actually speaking Norman French before they were speaking English as we know it

Therefore, I say Jean before John

#3 Gudrun

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 18/01/2013, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Old French trumps English ie early English were actually speaking Norman French before they were speaking English as we know it

Therefore, I say Jean before John

What Lyra says. Only thing is that the old French form Jehan morphed a couple of times in England to become John.

But it also morphed into Jean in France.  Could that morphing have been contemporaneous?

Did the actual form Jean beat the actual form John?  Quite possibly, since France had the head start but not necessarily I would think.

Love the question!

#4 Magnus

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hmmm, I cheated and looked it up in the OED, which has

c1160 Johannes

c1175 Iohan

c1275 Ion

I don't think that actually answers the question, though.

#5 Feral_Pooks

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ok a bit of research on the interwebz has John with this spelling from the 11th century, pronounced same but spelled Iohn from the 7th century(so says wiki). Jean is modern, Jehan is medieval so is contemporary with John.

So John wins Tounge1.gif

#6 Plaxy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

In the 1292 census of Paris Jehan is the most common male name (total 2320). This is a total of several spellings. Included in that total were 7 of Jean.

In an index of names on the 1292 (coincedence the 2 earliest records I can find are the same year?)
subsidy roll of London Johannes is listed as the most common male name (total 143 with few variations of spelling, but overwhelmingly Johannes) None of the variations are John, but there is one Jon. However on all the early English name records the names are written in Latin form (hence Alice is Alicia, Robert is Robertus, Peter is Petrus etc.  John, if it did exist, would be recorded as Johannes). The spelling variations of Johannes on this record look like abbreviations though, not actual spellings, eg Joh' or Jh' . This probably accounts for the one Jon as well.

So, does Jean win? or, were the English using the vernacular John at this stage while recording Johan/nes?

#7 MissingInAction

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Giovanni & Giovanna in Italian... not sure who came first though...

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I say John as John was used in the Bible before Jesus was born

#9 Lyra

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (kerilyntaryn @ 19/01/2013, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the Bible wasn't written in English. It would have been written in Hebrew or Aramaic before being translated into Latin and then later into English at the behest of King James hence the King James Bible

#10 HRH Countrymel

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I have a family tree somewhere that goes back to 1100ish... there are a hell of a lot of Johns in that thing!

#11 la di dah

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (kerilyntaryn @ 19/01/2013, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the Hebrew would be Yohanan. No J letter or sound. And then the Hebrew was translated into Greek, which had no J either. And then Latin.

So Jehan, and its decendents John and Jean, are several times removed, linguistically, and Sean would be a grandchild. original.gif

QUOTE (countrymel @ 19/01/2013, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a family tree somewhere that goes back to 1100ish... there are a hell of a lot of Johns in that thing!

Mine goes back about that far but there's some Yohanans (Yohanan - John) and some Yonatans (Yonatan - Jonathan) in mine, but no Johns.

#12 ~~~

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Interesting to learn about the biblical link (or lack thereof). Isn't language amazing that there is so much evolution and cross-influencing (for lack of a more grammatically correct term)!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five new mums will join the Essential Baby Test Drive Team and discover great new baby toys from Fisher-Price & write a review to be published on Essential Baby.

Two children fall from second storey window

Two young boys have been rushed to hospital after falling out a second-storey window of a home in Eastwood.

Victorian Labor to introduce same-sex adoption laws

Thousands of same-sex couples with children will have the right to be jointly recognised as parents by Victorian law.

Sneak peek: Maxomorra bee dress, t-shirt and romper for babies

Cutest snap find on the planet - bee rompers, tees and dresses for babies.

Toddler found two days after going missing

A two-year-old girl who disappeared on Friday night from her great-grandparents' home in rural Ohio was found alive Sunday evening in a nearby field.

Dad builds the ultimate bed for his toddler son

The transition from cot to big kid bed might be a little easier if every toddler had a bed like this one.

Is Woolworths now cheaper than Coles?

Woolworths appears to have taken the upper hand in its price battle with Coles after investing millions of dollars lowering the cost of groceries, according to new figures.

Aussie babies and parents stranded in Nepal after surrogacy ban

Parents say Australian babies are being "kept captive" and cannot come home after a ban on commercial surrogacy in Nepal.

Wannabe dads left behind in IVF debate

If virgin women can become mothers through IVF, maybe we're ready for another miracle - genuine equality for men in the parenting debate.

The health and fitness lessons I've learned

What I once assumed about health and fitness is wrong.

Our angel baby story: Hunter James

I have two children: one living, the next an angel baby.

Newlyweds send bill to no-show guests

Planning a wedding can be stressful – and, as most newlyweds can attest, it can be very costly, too.

Your choice or theirs: the tug-of-war over baby names

They had just decided on a name they both agreed on, but then the grandparents threw in an offer of $10,000 in exchange for choosing something else.

Dad-to-be's tearful reaction to pregnancy news goes viral

After 17 years of trying, this man had given up hope of having a family.

Claire Danes: acting out postnatal depression was difficult

Actress Claire Danes found it difficult pretending to have postnatal depression in Homeland, as she had just become a new mother herself.

The moment a 92-year-old meets her great grandaughter

It's a heart-warming photo this family will treasure forever.

How to prepare for breastfeeding when you're still pregnant

While every woman's breastfeeding journey is different, many hurdles are shared. Knowing what to expect will enable you to make informed decisions if - or when - you meet challenges along the way.

Sneak peek: new Love Mae bamboo dinnerware designs

We do love ourselves some brand new designs in tried and true products. The renowned bamboo dinnerware from Love Mae has just had several more members join the family, in addition to a brand new website.

Mum who killed paedophile gets reduced sentence

A mother-of-five who killed a paedophile has had her jail sentence reduced by a judge who described her case as a "truly exceptional" one.

Sneak peek: Geleeo self-cooling pram & high chair liners

We just spotted Geleeo, a brand new self-cooling pram liner you can buy in time for summer.

Toddler's silent debate with mum about naptime

He might not utter a single word - but this toddler is having a great debate with his mother about nap time.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.