My son wants dance lessons

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tickly_rain

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I posted this is the Victorian forum a couple of days ago, but haven't had a response, so posting here for more traffic.

DS3 (aged 5) is desperate to have lessons, but I'm very inexperienced in terms of dance schools with three boys! He loves to perform concerts (for anyone willing to watch), sing, dance, etc. My other boys are more your football kinds of kids, so I'm a little lost!

What should I be looking for?

What do children usually start with? Jazz? Tap? Ballet?

Thanks for your help!

#2 becstar101

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Where are you located?

The younger dance classes where I am can be very girl focused, with lots of fairy/pink tpe of stuff. If he wants to go for dance classes, it may be a good idea to look at a fairly large dance studio with a good mix of classes and a better chance to have a few more boys around-probably modern, hip hop or tap would have more boys.

For the drama type of thing, there are quite a few children's performing arts studios around. Melbourne Child magazine usually has a few ads at the back with various places.

Good luck!

#3 dirtgirl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Some places do junior hip hop classes, which might be an option if you want to avoid the pink tutu crowd.

#4 BeYOUtiful

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I have just enquired for my 2.5yr old (they normally take them from 3).  They recommended jazz (for tiny tots).  original.gif

I eventually would like him to try Hip hop, not sure what age that starts at.

I am in Sydney btw.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 18 January 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#5 LambChop

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

A friend of mine has a 6 year old who does ballet, where are you located ?  We're North East around Diamond Creek area.

#6 Peppery

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

DD does jazz and ballet and has a little boy in her Jazz class. After watching her concert, the dance school had around 20 boys and most did Jazz or Hip Hop.

#7 shelly1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Our dance school has a Jnr B-boys class. Its all little boys in a hip hop style class. Lots of fun and very cute - I look forward to seeing them at our dance school concert everytime

Maybe look for hip hop or b-boys. We have one of those The Fairies franchises near us that also does a b-boys class if you have one of them near you

#8 Missmarymack

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you think he might be very serious about dance then perhaps think about some ballet or contemporary dance classes also as they will teach great technique - although they are likely to be filled mainly with girls. Good luck!

#9 kristin5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I am in Melbourne eastern suburbs and there are a couple of places out here (I have just signed DS aged 6 up to a class which covers dance, drama and singing, but they also have just hip hop classes).

My son, like yours, simply loves to perform, puts on concerts for us, and generally just likes entertaining people. He performed at his school concert last year, as a prep kid, and his confidence up on stage, in front of hundreds of people, holding a microphone, was amazing! Such confidence in a little kid was fantastic to see :-) (and he won 3rd prize!)

We figured he'd be a sportsman, as we love sports especially football, but it seems that DS has other ideas!

Edited by kristin5, 18 January 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

What does he like about dancing?

My recommendation without knowing your son would be Jazz or Hip Hop. Both are good fun and have concerts.

Good luck to him. I had a male friend do dancing when he was a kid and he now dances on LA and has been a back up dancer for Katy Perry and appeared on Glee. Pretty impressive for a boy from Tas original.gif

Edited by **Xena**, 19 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#11 kay11

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

My DD did a Kinder Dance class and there was a little boy in that one.

#12 tickly_rain

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

We're in Ringwood/Warrandyte area, but happy to travel a bit.

He adores everything about stage production - singing, dancing, acting, etc.  We had contemplated a drama type group for him, but he's asked to do dancing lessons.  He has great musicality in general.  It's difficult to make a random choice - I really do like "word of mouth"!

#13 Bbtimes2

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I will be stalking this thread because my almost 5 year old DS is the same and we are in the same area!

#14 kristin5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

The place I have signed my son up to is in Ringwood. But he hasn't started yet (starts mid Feb), so I can't recommend them from first hand experience. I am happy to pass on their details though, PM me if you are interested?

Edited by kristin5, 18 January 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#15 **Xena**

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (tickly_rain @ 18/01/2013, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies!

We're in Ringwood/Warrandyte area, but happy to travel a bit.

He adores everything about stage production - singing, dancing, acting, etc.  We had contemplated a drama type group for him, but he's asked to do dancing lessons.  He has great musicality in general.  It's difficult to make a random choice - I really do like "word of mouth"!

I don't know if there's anything like it where you are but I imagine there would be. Here in Tas there are places where the kids can go to learn acting, singing and dancing.

#16 tickly_rain

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Xena, that was our original thinking!  If anyone has any suggestions of great places to try for the "whole package", I'd love to hear them!

I have PMed you Kristin5.

#17 bmieke

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I can't help with where to go (I am in Sydney) but my son asked to do ballet in the year before he started school. THe place I sent him had a 4-5 year old class that covered ballet and tap without making it too serious.... a great way to introduce them to dance. There were 3 boys in his class with about 14 girls. He loved it, and when it came to his first year of school he wanted to do more ballet.

He ended up doing ballet, contemporary and hip hop. Last year he picked up tap and jazz too. His first love is still ballet (I actually have to kind of force him to do hip hop just so he get some exposure to other boys).

I think if you can get somewhere that has some general dance classes that exposes him to different styles it would be good, until he works out which styles he prefers.

#18 adnama

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

My son is starting dance this year.
The dance school his sister goes to has a boys class but this year they have a male teacher and teaching break/hip hop for the boys.
He is very excited, and he will only cost me costumes because DD is doing 5 classes her teacher is giving me his for free to make it cheaper  wub.gif

#19 Julie3Girls

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

A lot of dance studios give you the first lesson free, so you can try it out.
Keep an eye on the local paper, most dance schools will be advertising enrolment days about now. Give them a ring, maybe ask about the number of boys at the studio, what classes they offer.  While having other boys isn't a necessity, it can be nicer to have a group with more boys.
Don't be afraid to try out a few different studios.

And let him have some say in the class - maybe try out a few different styles.  Ballet is great to give a very solid basis for all the dance styles.  Jazz is much faster. We don't have a lot of boys at our studio, but there a couple on tap.  At age 5, he might still be in a young class where they do a bit of everything.

#20 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

My eldest was desperate to do dance lessons in prep. He didn't want to do hip hop or ballet or anything so I enrolled him in a musical theatre class. He learnt a few dance routines, a few songs, some acting skills and put on a proper Christmas show at a proper theatre. wub.gif He loved it, but hated the song the older kids sang so refused to go back last year just in case he had to sing the same song. rolleyes.gif

#21 kadoodle

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

My DS1 has done some sort of dance on and off since he was 3.  We started with ballet/tap/modern combined for tots.  He's 8 now and does hip hop, as the ballet girls were getting cliquey and doing his head in.  We did highland dancing out your way (Diamond Creek) and there was a pretty even spread of boys and girls.

#22 kristin5

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (tickly_rain @ 18/01/2013, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Xena, that was our original thinking!  If anyone has any suggestions of great places to try for the "whole package", I'd love to hear them!

I have PMed you Kristin5.

As you know, I have replied original.gif

The class my son is doing is the "whole package", called a combined class (acting, dancing, singing - 20 mins of each in an hour long session, with 2 concerts/performances each year), so yes there certainly are places like those Xena mentioned, here in Victoria original.gif

#23 .Jerry.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

If you look for a musical theatre school it might suit your son.  I am not in your area, but my daughter is doing a combined class of jazz, tap, singing and drama - the "triple threat plus tap".  Goes for 2.5 hrs and seems good value.

#24 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Have you asked him what sort he wants to do? like does he want to do a combo class or is he interested in a particular style? Do a quick google of the schools around in your area, most places these days have email, what I did when looking for a taekwondo place for DS1 was send off an email to a bunch of different places, told them what DS1 was after and then went with the one that matched him the best.

Also look at your local YMCA, most run classes or can point you in the direction of some.

#25 50ftqueenie

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

OP I can recommend Vibe Dance Studio in Mooroolbark (if that's not too far for you). They have heaps of classes available and many different styles. I agree with PP that Jazz and Hip Hop would be a great place to start. They do amazing concerts twice a year which is great for those who love performing for a crowd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.