Need help on appropriate response....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ireckon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have just received a text from some one I have known for 20 odd years. Not close, but we text every once in a while, chat on FB etc. Anyway, the text basically said this person has a terminal medical issue, and has only months left. I don't know how to respond to this, I don't want it to sound pitying or trite, or play it down. This person is married with kids.

I keep writing something along the lines of 'very sorry to hear that' but it just doesn't seem like its enough. I can usually handle social etiquette well, but right now, today, I am a bit lost as to how to respond. I have never met their partner or kids, ( it's someone form early high school yrs).

Simple and to the point is the best here, right?

#2 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I would phone rather than text.

#3 emwill

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Something along the lines of "Thinking of you and your family, if you need anything just let me know".
Definitely a hard one sad.gif

#4 Rachaelxxx

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

That really is terrible news, I would call them, I know that wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

#5 LittleRB

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Don't worry about 'along the lines'... just say what you feel. "I'm devastated to hear this news. Would love to come and see you. Is there anything I  can do, want to be there for you if i can".

I would agree a phone call is nicer but considering they sent you a text with the news, I assume they may not be up for phone calls. Sometimes it's easier to discuss things via text as you have time to compose a response rather than break down during a phone call.

So sorry to hear about your friend OP.

#6 Ireckon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Mo2k @ 18/01/2013, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's terrible news. Can you not call them instead of texting?

I understand this, but 100% of our contact has been via FB/SMS, so to ring now feels odd as well. Plus I just got another text saying how they hate that everyone keeps ringing to say how are you doing today. So am going to go with the text, let me know if there is anything you need. I usually try my best to keep a bit of humour (similar to Pacey from Dawsons Creek in the last episode, anyone??) and be open about the illness, rather than pretend its all ok.

It's also ( selfish response here ) confronting that someone my age, with a family and all, is going to die.

#7 Mrs Feral Widget

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm so sorry, I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. I'm here if you need anything, even just an ear.

#8 tres-chic

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm sorry OP, that is devastating news.

Based on your update, if the person really is being bombarded I'd go back with a text saying 'I'm so sorry, can I call you, perhaps later if that would be best? I am 100% here if you need me and again, I am so sorry.'

It's very hard to respond to a message like that in 75 characters or less so if it were me I'd save those sentiments for when you do speak, on the phone or in person.

#9 belinda1976

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I wouldn't text her back, but if you don't feel comfortable calling perhaps send your friend a card or letter telling them you are thinking of them.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Maybe just be a honest. Maybe something like "I don't know what to say but I am so sorry to hear that. I am here if you need any help or support. Thinking of you and your family"

#11 Chelli

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'd be honest with how much the situation sucks sad.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, it certainly is confronting when things like that happen to people the same age as you.

#12 JustBeige

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 18/01/2013, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe just be a honest. Maybe something like "I don't know what to say but I am so sorry to hear that. I am here if you need any help or support. Thinking of you and your family"

I would do something like this too.

They have made a point of telling you via text that the phone calls are bothering them, so dont add to it by calling (even if you want to).

Just send a text once a week or something, with "you're in my thoughts. xx" type messages.

When my friend had cancer last year, she often said these messages were the best as she could read them over and over again.

I also agree with sending a gift or card of some sort.

#13 Lyra

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

After we got my son's diagnosis the best responses were the ones acknowledging the total sh*ttiness of the situation. I got really, really annoyed with people that questioned whether or not the diagnosis was actually correct, people who kept going on and on about 'medical advances' etc etc

I agree with messages every now and again with 'thinking of you' is a good one

I am sorry your friend is going through this

#14 Tall Poppy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I would acknowledge how crap it is an then offer help or that you're up for a chat if need be.

I would text as it ma be too much for the person to handle at the moment to tal on the phone but, perhap suggest in the text that you can call if they'd like or they can call you wnenever needed.

I'm sorry you received such terrible news, OP.

#15 epl0822

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

One of the best advice I've received regarding similar situations is that it's ok to acknowledge you don't even know what to say in such a terrible situation. It's not your initial response that they will remember, but your continued actions afterwards.

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I had a similar situation a few years back.  My first response was a text along the lines of
"Crap, I didn't expect the news of your last message.  I don't know what to say - nothing I say is going mean much in the face of what you're going through.  I am so sorry to hear that. I am here if you need any help or support. I would like to help - you are a good mate, you mean a lot to me.  I'll call you in a few days (won't that shock you?!)" or something like that  (I could have even started it off with "****! ...."

And I did.  I called her about a week later (selfishly, it gave me time to process it all a bit before speaking with her).  First time I'd spoken to her directly in over 15 years.  I couldn't help much - she lived interstate.  But she was stoked that I called.  And she was glad I didn't called immediately - she'd sent out quite a few similar texts that day and was drowning under all the calls that happened within 24 hours afterwards.  Breaking the news to people is very hard.

Just be honest - you are shocked by her news, it's crappy news, you can't imagine how she is feeling, you are thinking of her and her family.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 18 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#17 Jax12

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I think Yoda's example is excellent.  I'd probably also start it with an f bomb because that would be my honest reaction and I think that's the best approach.

What an awful situation.  Don't feel bad for your "selfish" response.  My friend's father was diagnosed with lung cancer (non smoker) and my first thought was that I was glad that it wasn't happening to my family.  I was shocked and ashamed that that thought appeared so immediately.

#18 MummyIHK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I agree with Lyra, after we lost our girls there were times were I didn't want advice, I just wanted someone to say to me that is bs and totally unfair that you lost your girls.

I would probably write something along the lines of;

I am so sorry to hear your news.  I know that there is nothing I can say or do to make this any easier for you and your family but I just want to let you know you are in my thoughts (and prayers).  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

I am really sorry that you are facing this situation op.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.