Doppler hire
Looking for advice and recs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 miss-petal

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

So I'm thinking of hiring a Doppler for me to use to try and put my mind at ease during the early part of pregnancy until I can start feeling regular movements.
There are a lot of online suppliers I have found, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at sweet beats at the moment.
Also has anyone got any advice about actually using the Doppler. I am a bit worried that my plan will backfire with me not being able to find a hb and then freaking out even more... But my MIL used to be midwife so hopefully she could help.
The other thing I'm worries might impact on me being able to use it is that I have a retroverted uterus. My dr always comments on how far back it tilts, do you think that this might mean its trickier for me to use the Doppler?
Thanks in advance for your help ladies!

#2 Koobie83

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hey I've got a retroverted uterus too... I wonder if that's why I don't feel so many movements as others?
I'm hiring one from Belly Beats. It was slow arriving and a bit slow to respond to my inquiries - but it was over new year. After a few days after I got a response it arrived. It's very helpful with my anxiety. - but not all the time!

#3 zingy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

I ordered online from sweat beats and it was delivered the next day.

I was 11 weeks when I got it and at first it was taking me a while to find the little heartbeat. I'm nearly 14 weeks now and I can find it straight away but it is easier if I push my belly out/up. I always find it with the doppler in the middle of my belly just above the pubic bone. Sweat beats include a detailed list of tips to help you when you get started.

5 years ago when I was anxiously pregnant with twins I had a doppler too but I can't remember who I hired it from. It really did help to get through until the full on movement started.

This time around, I know I would be a total basket case without it. If you are worrying all day, every day then its a must have! It just gives you a feeling of peace and keeps the positive vibes flowing.

#4 bright*future

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I hired from Belly Beats and the service was fine.  The doppler itself is pretty good (not that I have anything to compare it to) and I was able to get the HB at about 11 weeks, all I remember is it was before my 12 week scan which gave me a lot of comfort and took away that fear we would get in there and see nothing.

Controversial I know, but has been a good thing for me. Now that I am counting kicks I only use it on a quiet kick day and only briefly.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

A uterus does not remain retroverted after the first trimester so it will not impact the ability to feel foetal movements. original.gif

As for hiring dopplers.......there are lots of threads already and I am sure there is little doubt as to how I feel about them and the companies who hire/sell them to people untrained in their use.

efs

Edited by soontobegran, 18 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#6 ubermum

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

My recommendation is don't hire a doppler. Yeah, it may give you some perceived piece of mind for that minute you can find a heartbeat, but what about the minute after that, and after that? Then the baby could completely move and you aren't able to find it for ages. You freak out flooding the baby with stress hormones all the while bombarding it with high frequency sound. Fantastic. Leave the monitoring to the health professionals. Having a doppler won't prevent loss and isn't any better than paying attention to the way you and your own body is feeling. In fact, I would argue worse. Many women who experience loss talk of just knowing that something isn't right. Listen to your own body.

I wish you all the best for a healthy pregnancy and birth.

#7 Koobie83

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

UberMum and SoontobeGran - Ok so I have a home doppler and you are right, it doesn't ease my anxiety for very long.

What am I supposed to do? I don't want to flood the baby with stress hormones. Do I sit at my doctors office everyday insisting there is something wrong when really there isn't? I don't have the money to see a doctor every week either, plus I still have to work.

What do you suggest? Have an ultrasound every week just for my peace of mind?

Edited by Koobie83, 18 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#8 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Koobie83 @ 18/01/2013, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UberMum and SoontobeGran - Ok so I have a home doppler and you are right, it doesn't ease my anxiety for very long.

What am I supposed to do? I don't want to flood the baby with stress hormones. Do I sit at my doctors office everyday insisting there is something wrong when really there isn't? I don't have the money to see a doctor every week either, plus I still have to work.

What do you suggest? Have an ultrasound every week just for my peace of mind?

Try not to stress about it, I wonder how our parents and grand parents every got through pregnancy without all these scans?  I don't believe in using home doplers either - especially in the first half of the pregnancy, you don't even know which HB you have (ie your own, or the beat of the placenta or the babies) FTR I am utterly terrified that I will lose this bubba so every movement I don't feel or don't see (actually I haven't seen any movement yet just felt it) makes me anxious, but I try to relax and I find that by telling DH about how anxious I am feeling it relieves some of the stress.

Have an icy cold glass of water or coke or lemonade etc and drink it and lay down (I find on my back the best) wait 20 mins you should start to feel something.  Also hearing a HB doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong.

#9 copham

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm with PP's I am terrified of losing this baby, just like I was with DS due to DD passing away in the womb but I still haven't hired a Doppler. I think they are more stress then they are worth and any OB or GP will tell you the risks you take by using them. I don't see how it would make me feel any better if anything it would make me more anxious and like STBG said being untrained and using them can't be safe.

If in doubt go to a doctor, lie down as you get further along to feel movement and maybe just have faith that its ok. If you can't find a heartbeat you are going to stress plus I don't want to put a damper on this thread but in my case by the time their was no heartbeat detected (40 weeks 2 days) during active labour DD had already passed with no chance of recovery so even if you find no heartbeat what can you do? Sorry if that sounds harsh but I think they cause more worry to mothers to be then being helpful.

#10 Koobie83

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 18/01/2013, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have an icy cold glass of water or coke or lemonade etc and drink it and lay down (I find on my back the best) wait 20 mins you should start to feel something. Also hearing a HB doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong.

I know... that's why my anxiety and stress comes back soon after using it (or going to see a doctor).

I try all of that sometimes and it still doesn't work. Sometimes lying on my back works (in fact it's probably best) but isn't this bad for the baby? I heard lying on your back squashes your artery and starves the placenta?

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread about me and my anxiety issues!

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 18/01/2013, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to put a damper on this thread but in my case by the time their was no heartbeat detected (40 weeks 2 days) during active labour DD had already passed with no chance of recovery so even if you find no heartbeat what can you do? Sorry if that sounds harsh but I think they cause more worry to mothers to be then being helpful.

I think this is what people keep forgetting.  If there is no HB it is too late, if there is just less movement there is time to act.

QUOTE (Koobie83 @ 18/01/2013, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know... that's why my anxiety and stress comes back soon after using it (or going to see a doctor).

I try all of that sometimes and it still doesn't work. Sometimes lying on my back works (in fact it's probably best) but isn't this bad for the baby? I heard lying on your back squashes your artery and starves the placenta?

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread about me and my anxiety issues!

I totally get it I really do, I thought I would get over the 24 week hub and be ok, I am worse then I was 2 weeks ago.

Lying on your back for a short while is fine.  You probably naturally roll over onto your back when you are alseep, I know I do.  Your body will tell you if it is bad, you will feel shortness of breath, and dizzy and if sleeping you will wake up.  I think at 28 weeks they recommend you not actively try and lay on your back, by 28 weeks you will probably be feeling/seeing patterns of movements (which will hopefully put both our minds at ease).  At 28 weeks you should try and count these movements and that is your indicator if something is wrong (rather then lay on your back, lay on your side)

#12 bright*future

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 18/01/2013, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder how our parents and grand parents every got through pregnancy without all these scans?

I think about this too - I think the more we know now, and the more information we have access to the higher our stress levels!!

#13 Koobie83

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yeah I speak to my Mum about all of this and she thinks it's absolutely craziness that they scare us with all of this information. My Nanny can remember that with my Mum she felt lots of movement, but with her other kids not so much. Barely anything at all and they are all middle aged women themselves now.

I've been told so much vague and conflicting information by various doctors and midwives and nobody can give me a definite answer about how much movement I should be feeling. One said every 2-3 hours, one said quiet days are ok as long as I'm getting some movement. But I can't tell what is movement and what isn't anymore. She was booting me big time on Wednesday night, but then yesterday was more quiet. I get rumbling feelings down low quite often - are these movements?

When I was about 22 weeks or so I could see kicks and hiccups but I don't see them as frequently as I used to.

I'm so over it...

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

If your anxiety is that great seek counselling.

We all naturally worry during PG, but if you are seeking constant reassurance spend the money on counselling not a Doppler.

#15 Koobie83

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I've rung the midwives and will be going up to the pregnancy assessment unit this afternoon.
Wish me luck

#16 bright*future

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Good luck Koobie & good on you for seeking support.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Koobie83 @ 18/01/2013, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've rung the midwives and will be going up to the pregnancy assessment unit this afternoon.
Wish me luck

Good luck Koobie83. Pregnancy is stressful in varying levels for all mothers but when it is seriously impacting your enjoyment of life then it is time to seek help so I am very glad you are going for help.

Your anxiety is way out of proportion to the actual risk to you or your baby and it must be hell for you to live like this.

Try to remember that your baby is almost certainly safe and happy in there as it is for the great majority of babies.
I know knowledge is power but for some I just think the easy internet access to google and even forums like EB should be contraindicated for women with anxiety issues.
Take care, let us know how you go.

#18 Koobie83

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hey - I updated on my other thread too (I'm so sorry OP for taking this one over... I didn't mean to I promise!)

Everything is fine. The baby had an excellent heart rate and she was moving a lot but i just couldn't feel it. I felt the big kicks when she was obviously getting a bit cranky down there. That was relieving. The doctor even said that they were very happy with her heart beat and movements for her gestation, but she's obviously still small enough to scoot around without me noticing. In fact the midwife could feel her move from the outside but I couldn't sometimes.

But the BEST part was being able to talk about my anxiety. The midwife understood completely and has been there herself. She said that I can come every week if I wanted to just to make sure the baby was fine. She is organising an Occupational Therapist to contact me and try to help with the anxiety.  

So I'm happy, but happier yet to know that the OT will call me to work something out. Maybe I need to take maternity leave early.

But I REALLY think I'm going to send the doppler back! It's not helping... it probably is making it worse because I don't trust what I hear. Even though I get the train or galloping horse beats... I think it's probably best to leave it alone and let my doctors/midwives reassure me!

#19 copham

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (Koobie83 @ 18/01/2013, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey - I updated on my other thread too (I'm so sorry OP for taking this one over... I didn't mean to I promise!)

Everything is fine. The baby had an excellent heart rate and she was moving a lot but i just couldn't feel it. I felt the big kicks when she was obviously getting a bit cranky down there. That was relieving. The doctor even said that they were very happy with her heart beat and movements for her gestation, but she's obviously still small enough to scoot around without me noticing. In fact the midwife could feel her move from the outside but I couldn't sometimes.

But the BEST part was being able to talk about my anxiety. The midwife understood completely and has been there herself. She said that I can come every week if I wanted to just to make sure the baby was fine. She is organising an Occupational Therapist to contact me and try to help with the anxiety.  

So I'm happy, but happier yet to know that the OT will call me to work something out. Maybe I need to take maternity leave early.

But I REALLY think I'm going to send the doppler back! It's not helping... it probably is making it worse because I don't trust what I hear. Even though I get the train or galloping horse beats... I think it's probably best to leave it alone and let my doctors/midwives reassure me!

So glad to hear things are picking up for you original.gif and that your little girl is doing great

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Great update Koobie, it is good to know you have people who understand. Just make sure you access their help whenever you need it. Midwives really do not mind doing a doppler check if you are worried.
Your little girl is doing just fine in there. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Dying mum saves baby with last breath

Dying from a gunshot wound, Jessica Arrendale used the last of her energy to hide her baby from her killer.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.