Process to report stolen goods to Cash Converters?
Does anybody know if you have to press charges?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 amaza

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm wondering if anybody knows the process for reporting stolen goods to Cash Converters and if charges need to be laid for Cash Converters to listen?

I'll try to keep the story without too many identifying details but need to give a bit of background.

'John' is related to and lives with 'Scott' in a family home. Both are in their mid-late twenties and both spend a lot of time with the same group of friends. None of these friends are aware of this situation as it's kept very quiet.

John has never been able to hold down a job, is on Newstart allowance but is often cut off for not going to appointments, has nothing to his name, doesn't pay board or bills, doesn't put in for food and is in a great deal of debt. John won't admit to any of this. He always has another job 'lined up' and something that is never his fault always ruins them. Centrelink always mess up his appointments and he sells his cars because there is something wrong with them. He vehemently denies having a gambling addiction but is often at the pub and shrugs his shoulders when asked for board/food money.

John has a habit of giving what he has to Cash Converters on a 'loan' basis for some quick cash and then usually gets all or a bit of it back when a Newstart payment comes in. He often has a phone 'in for repair' which is code for 'in Cash Converters'. He doesn't have much but sometimes will have golf clubs and then they will be gone, only to appear again a couple of weeks later. Same with sporting items and mobile phones.  

Scott is the opposite and has a normal life with all bills paid on time etc. Scott has acquired many items over the past 10 years and has  an array of tools, electrical items and gadgets. He owns his own car and has recently acquired a home loan. Scott has no addictions but does have a few drinks when out and about with his friends/family.

Scott does not trust John due to previous things going missing around the home and now has a lock on his bedroom door that is locked every time Scott leaves the house. Other family members lock their items up as well.

One day John SMSd Scott and told him that he needed to look in the letterbox and he was sorry. In there was a bunch of Cash Converters receipts with details of Scotts items on them. John had stolen them over the course of a month and taken them to Cash Converters. Scott was angry and hurt but nothing much was said. There was a small confrontation when Scott made John get his items back. These items were all in a locked shed that had been broken into. Scott got all items back.

This has since happened 2 other times but on those occasions John did not tell Scott. Scott or other members of the family noticed things missing and told John to get them back. John never mentions it but does usually get the items back at some point. John has never said sorry except for in the one SMS.

Last week items were stolen again and noticed by other family members. This time Scott has had enough and is sick of John thinking he can get away with it. John was acting as if nothing at all had happened even once he was aware that Scott knew. Scott called Cash Converters who said that if he reported the items stolen to the police that John would go on a file that would filter to all Cash Converters stores and John would not be allowed to trade again.

Scott then called the police who told him that he could report his items stolen. They said that because John is a family member he could sign off to say he didn't want the matter to be referred through the courts and charges wouldn't be laid (terminology?). The police weren't able to say whether Cash Converters would put John on their files if Scott signed off to not lay charges.

Scott is hesitating to report to the police. He doesn't want to press charges, he just wants the 'cash source' to be gone and the mistreatment of him and the family by John to be over. So basically he wants his items back and Cash Converters to stop buying from him.

John is not at the point where he is ready to get help. It's been offered but he denies there is anything wrong so there is nothing to help him with. John has been told to leave but he just says he won't go anywhere and it's not pushed any further. Scott will be moving out this year but there are other family members living in the home and because John doesn't give any indication that he is aware that what he is doing is wrong there is likely to be an expectation by John that he will be able to visit Scott in his new home. Despite Johns actions, Scott loves him dearly and there is no such thing as 'tough love' within the family at all and John is probably even enabled a little.

So does anybody know if charges need to be pressed to get Cash Converters to take any action? I know a police report needs to be done but can that be the end of it or does it need to be taken further by Scott?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ~sydblue~

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

I know that when a friend of mines DS stole her mothers jewellery, her brother went straight up to cash converters and described each piece in detail and told them if they didn't give them back they would be charged with receiving stolen goods. They gave them back after ringing the police. They lost a couple of thousand dollars.

#3 fizzy19

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think technically there needs to be a stolen item pawned or sold to cash converters  for there to be any fines imposed on cash converters eg through a police report. have you approached the store at all to tell them the items don't belong to him and can they stop taking stuff from him. I know it's hard with family but he will continue to steal unless the police get involved or he gets help. If he can't pawn stuff he may end up getting rid of the property another way, to get money.

#4 treefalls

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

If 'Scott' has photos and serial numbers, he can go into Cash Converters and prove that items are his and should be able to get them back (a friend did this once with camera equipment). I know they have a 2 week period where things are not put into the shop, but then once it's in the shop and you can compare with photo/serial number, I think they are obliged by law to acknowledge the item is stolen.
If it's referred to the police, then they compare their report against Cash Converters' log of items (before they go into the shop, ideally - but they don't always get to it in time). When we were robbed recently, the police officer advised that you can go in yourself. It's more efficient than waiting for the police to do it. So there must be some way of working it out after this point, but I can't answer the question about pressing charges.
It makes sense to me that the goods can be recovered without pressing charges though, if that's what he wants to do.

#5 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Surely Cash Converters is not the only business that pawns stuff.
Sounds like they are trying to get Cash Converters to deal with the problem without addressing the root cause... have they thought about what he'll do when that particular money source is cut off?

#6 wildflowers

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

When my dd sold a couple of games to cash converters I had to show my drivers licence and the receipt clearly states is the item mine and not going to be repossessed. So if John has taken the items to cash converters and Scott has said they are stolen, John will be charged. John has obviously stolen a lot so he needs to be reported.

#7 **Xena**

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

From what I understand (and I may be completely wrong so best to seek advice from more accurate sources laughing2.gif ) He can fill out a police report and not lay charges but if he goes on record with Cash Converters and other Secondhand stores if he does it again he may then be reported by the store and charged for trying to sell stolen goods.

#8 amaza

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for your replies,

I know that when a friend of mines DS stole her mothers jewellery, her brother went straight up to cash converters and described each piece in detail and told them if they didn't give them back they would be charged with receiving stolen goods. They gave them back after ringing the police. They lost a couple of thousand dollars.

Cash Converters said they wouldn't do anything until the police were notified.

I think technically there needs to be a stolen item pawned or sold to cash converters for there to be any fines imposed on cash converters eg through a police report.

Scott doesn't care if Cash Converters is fined or not. They won't proceed with anything without a police report of some sort though.

When we were robbed recently, the police officer advised that you can go in yourself. It's more efficient than waiting for the police to do it.

That's interesting but different to what Scott was told. Maybe the store didn't want to deal with it at that point?

Surely Cash Converters is not the only business that pawns stuff.
Sounds like they are trying to get Cash Converters to deal with the problem without addressing the root cause... have they thought about what he'll do when that particular money source is cut off?

I get what you are saying but do you have any suggestions? How do they get to the root cause when John won't admit he has a problem, and in fact denies it?

Why should their items be his source of cash just because of the 'what if's' after it's cut off? Maybe he'll have to get a job? He was handed a job on a silver platter the other week. It was casual and not so glamorous but it was actually organised FOR him and all he had to do was turn up. He spent a week saying he was looking forward to it and on the Monday he didn't bother to make the effort. When asked why not he just shrugged his shoulders.

It has been thought about what he will do once that cash source is gone and it's not reasonable for anybody to expect that anybody would be in physical danger from him because he wants money (no expectation that he would become an armed robber etc). The most illegal thing he has done is this and maybe driving with a suspended license (for not paying fines). I've personally seen him walk away from his girlfriend and leave her to fend for herself when a man approached her to avoid the confrontation. I'd happily call him a coward but my views of him are probably skewed. With no reason to suspect anybody else is in danger there is no reason to care where his cash source is coming from.

It's well known that Cash Converters aren't the only pawn shop but it's the biggest and most well known. It would absolutely lower his opportunities.

He can fill out a police report and not lay charges but if he goes on record with Cash Converters and other Secondhand stores if he does it again he may then be reported by the store and charged for trying to sell stolen goods.

Thank you. Scott is aware that Cash Converters could charge John for making a false declaration and that's not really a concern. It isn't something that Scott would want to happen but that's the price John may have to pay for lying on a legal document and he accepts that. He just doesn't want to personally press charges.

I appreciate all of your replies.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (amaza @ 18/01/2013, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get what you are saying but do you have any suggestions? How do they get to the root cause when John won't admit he has a problem, and in fact denies it?

Why should their items be his source of cash just because of the 'what if's' after it's cut off? Maybe he'll have to get a job? He was handed a job on a silver platter the other week. It was casual and not so glamorous but it was actually organised FOR him and all he had to do was turn up. He spent a week saying he was looking forward to it and on the Monday he didn't bother to make the effort. When asked why not he just shrugged his shoulders.

It has been thought about what he will do once that cash source is gone and it's not reasonable for anybody to expect that anybody would be in physical danger from him because he wants money (no expectation that he would become an armed robber etc). The most illegal thing he has done is this and maybe driving with a suspended license (for not paying fines). I've personally seen him walk away from his girlfriend and leave her to fend for herself when a man approached her to avoid the confrontation. I'd happily call him a coward but my views of him are probably skewed. With no reason to suspect anybody else is in danger there is no reason to care where his cash source is coming from.

It's well known that Cash Converters aren't the only pawn shop but it's the biggest and most well known. It would absolutely lower his opportunities.

I guess what I was hinting at with the 'root cause' thing is that this guy steals his family's stuff - maybe reporting him to the police AND pressing charges would make him realise how serious that is. Protecting him from the consequences of his actions is unlikely to lead to any long term change.

And if he's as lazy as it is, my thought is that once cash converters is cut off, and since he seems pretty ok with stealing stuff, he'll
a) best case, find another pawn shop
b) if he can't, find somewhere he can actually SELL as opposed to pawn the goods for - in which case your family will lose their stuff for good,
c) find somewhere else to steal from and get caught by police anyway, but someone that WILL press charges

Just food for thought. Seems like a lot of trouble to cut off one avenue that is probably the least harmful one...

#10 WonkieTonkie

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I think it needs to be pursued, whether he's charged or not. Enabling someone just makes the problem bigger and the items will most likely get more valuable and stolen at a faster rate.

I have been through this with family and your heart breaks for them however breaking the law and stealing from family is not appropriate. The same laws apply to John as they do to you and he needs to be aware that this could get him in trouble.

Sometimes, through setting clear boundaries as expectations, you will find that people may be more inclined to get support.  John told Scott that he had stolen things before, said sorry then did it again - when will Scott put his foot down? When his car goes missing?

We all need to abide by basic laws, whether or not we have addictions. The boundaries need to be set now and information about what support John can get should be provided to him.

Edited by WonkieTonkie, 18 January 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Well - when we were robbed and I went to Cash Converters to ask them if they had seen any of my jewellery, or could they keep an eye out for me (I'm a jeweller - the thieves had taken $60 000 worth -wholesale - of stuff packaged and ready to go to the galleries who sell it for me)
I was treated to a mouthful of abuse for 'daring to suggest' that they would ever receive stolen goods!

A few weeks later I received a parking fine for being parked in the loading zone across the road from that very same CC - in spite of asking the shop behind it if I could (I was in there waiting to collect something) the parking meter lady said she was sorry but the ticket had been issued and couldn't be retracted and that she had HAD to come especially as there had been a complaint... I was parked there for less than 10 mins, and no-one had needed to use it in that time, it was empty apart from my tiny car that I was watching it from the shop.. as I assume were the delightful CC staff...

Cash Converters are a dishonest, vindictive bunch of a*s*holes who profit from the misery of others, I would trust what they say with the largest grain of salt available.

#12 ubermum

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Why does Scott care about what happens to John? John is an adult and needs to be held accountable for his decisions. The fact that people let him continually get away with this crap gives him no incentive to change his behaviour. If Scott keeps letting this go, he's an idiot. I dated a John, they never stop. They are always able to justify their behaviour to themselves or others, even if that justification is flawed.

#13 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

The family probably should lay charges. By doing this, Johnis going to be held accountable for his actions. He will go to court, it's not likely he will go to jail and his lawyer will probably use the fact that he has problems to get a light "punishment" which will probably include some kind of court enforced councilling.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 18 January 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#14 JECJEC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Sounds like Scott has his head in the sand....ignore it and expect it to just go away or for Cash Converters to fix it for him. Well all they have is hearsay - they don't KNOW who owns the goods. They have a stat dec that says John does.

So either Scott reports to the police or Scott accepts the consequences to himself for his inaction.

#15 Cat People

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I've been involved in a similar situation and I highly doubt CC would hand over items if you went in there claiming they were stolen.   They would need a police report for their own insurance I would imagine?  You have to show photo ID now, and sign saying it's your item.  So unless they skipped that step, I can't imagine them just handing over the items.  Their business is mostly run on the misery of others, so I don't think they'd give a crap how the items were received as long as they met their legal obligations.

In my situation, the shop was sympathetic but wouldn't do anything without a police report, it was really my word against their's.

The reality is OP, the only way you're going to help this person is to stop enabling them.  It sounds like everyone around him is just propping him up.  I'm not sure if I could do it, but I know the professionals would say it needs to be reported to the police.  He basically faces no consequences for his actions - you guys enable/allow it all to happen.  Even if you cut off CC, as pp said, there are outlets and other means.  I could almost guarantee you he won't suddenly 'see the light' because CC source has been cut off.

Have you contacted Gamblers Anonymous ?  They might have a support group for family similar to Al-anon.

#16 The Old Feral

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

There are so many other pawn shops out there... I think honing in on CC will be a wasted effort.

#17 Oriental lily

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

It's seems sort of silly to use cash converters and the police as a sort of monitoring service to controls johns deceptive,lying sponging ways.

What he is doing is illegal, and should be treated that way. I don't think its the responsibility of cc or police to make sure he does not get charged.

Its like he is being treated like a child and the big bad police are  needed to 'scare' the naughty little boy in to not beings thief.

So i think scott has two options.
Go in to the police station and report that this John has stolen his goods and they are in cc. And let them go through the normal procedures of charging him.
Once his is banned from cc then Scott can decide if he wants the charges dropped or not. If the police say they can not drop them or dropping them will lift the ban then let them go ahead with it.

Second option I think is let this be the last straw.
Scott kicks him out, changes all locks.
Let John face the big bad world.

Scott needs to stop worrying about how John will cope without him as a crutch.
He is using and abusing Scott's generosity ( or stupidity) and stop caring about what sort of fallout for John his behaviour causes.
John sounds pathetic.

#18 amaza

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thanks again. I'll be quick because I'm on my phone but will come in later to answer in more detail.

CallMeAliG - I get what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification. You have a good point and I think your post will invoke some thought.

Ubermum - He cares because he is family. They socialise together and despite johns actions he
Loves him dearly. He is hurting and doesn't want to cause his family member pain. It's easy for you and me to say have him charged (I am definitely encouraging it) but we aren't emotionally invested in the same way. Besides the blame
an hatred that will no doubt be directed at me
It doesn't bother me at all what he goes through. I think he's a drop kick and my opinion of him drops significantly with every lie he is caught out in etc.

Thank you all again.

#19 amaza

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Oriental Lilly I'm sorry I can't reply in more detail as I'm about to start wrk but will come in to give some more info later.

I just wanted to let you know that Scott is not the owner of that home and has no option to kick John out. Scott is moving out but not for a few months yet.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Op if Scott is not going to do the right thing then honestly if I was you I Would back way and leave them to it.
You seem to be emotionally invested in the situation which is pointless if you have no control over it.

If Scott is not the owner, who is?
If John is not paying board then he obviously not.

It should be the owners responsibility to kick him out for allowing theft to be happening under their nose.

But like I said above the whole situation sounds dysfunctional. Some families seem to thrive on it.

Edited by Oriental lily, 18 January 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#21 Cat People

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 18/01/2013, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem to be emotionally invested in the situation which is pointless if you have no control over it.

Reading your up-date OP, I agree.  They'll have to work it out themselves.

#22 ReadySetRace

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'll be really blunt - John is being trained up to be a theif by his family that let him get away with it time and time again. Press charges, ban him from CC, move out this month and limit contact would be my advice for Scott.

Living with locks on doors on the family home is crazy - what are the parent(s) doing about their son?  

He will move onto bigger stuff and more expensive stuff that is someone else's soon enough if something isn't done which will land him in jail.

#23 Holidayromp

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Just because they are family doesn't make them any less a thief than any one else.  Stop enabling, filing a report, get him charged and kick him out.  He needs to grow up and start paying his way.  His centrelink payments need to be managed so bills etc are paid before the money hits his hands.  I would make this a condition of staying in the house - if he doesn't want to do this he goes.  Freeloaders like him make me sick.

#24 Swarley

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 18/01/2013, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does Scott care about what happens to John? John is an adult and needs to be held accountable for his decisions. The fact that people let him continually get away with this crap gives him no incentive to change his behaviour. If Scott keeps letting this go, he's an idiot. I dated a John, they never stop. They are always able to justify their behaviour to themselves or others, even if that justification is flawed.

This. Of course John isn't ready to get help. Why would he when his family is condoning it and letting him get away with it.
Getting rid of his CC option will not fix a thing.

#25 PatG

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 18/01/2013, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cash Converters are a dishonest, vindictive bunch of a*s*holes who profit from the misery of others, I would trust what they say with the largest grain of salt available.

I have issues with sweeping statements like this.  As far as I know the cash converters stores are franchises, so each one is run/owned by different people.  By the sounds of it you had one interaction with one person whose attitude you didn't like and now make sweeping statements about the entire collective. Not fair in any situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.