Cow's milk or formula for prem?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PoshMosh

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

DD is just under 13 mths (11 mths corrected) and we still have her on Bellamy's stage 2 formula. She has 3 meals a day and 3 x 240ml of formula.

Not sure if we should start her on Bellamy's stage 3 or just give her cow's milk instead?

What did you do with your prem at 12 mths? Continue on with formula or go straight onto cow's milk? Are there any health benefits in keeping prems on formula longer?

Thanks

#2 Feralmummacat

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

OP I am doing the research on the same thing. DS2 is 15 months (13 months corrected) and I am returning to work so I need to wean him off his lunch time feed and I am unsure if I should wean to cows milk or to formula.

Everything I was reading recommended the Bliss website, who are a premature baby charity in the UK.

http://www.bliss.org.uk/help-for-families/...-drinks-beyond/

They state

"Babies taking baby formula milk should continue this until 15 to 18 months and then change to whole (full fat) cows’ milk"

I am going to try formula to start off with and see how DS2 tolerates it. I also have a pead appointment at the end of February so I will double check with him as well.

I would love to hear what other Mum's have done and what worked (I breastfeed DS1 until 22 months due to work only being 2 minutes from childcare and he would not wean at all, I have changed jobs and it is not possible to do this with DS2)

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'd recommend seeing your GP about this. My DD was 1month prem, but I switched her to cows milk at one with no issues. But that was after consulting my GP about this.

#4 knottygirl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

both my boys went from breastmilk to cows milk at 9-10 months.  they used to raise babys on cows milk once.  unless there is a know allergy, there is no issue.  its all just whats the latest trend, plus the formula companys pay for all this so called research that cows milk before 12 months is wrong.  Exact same as how they used to pay for research that breastmilk is bad in the 60's.  The formula companys just want to make money. I felt much better giving my kids fresh whole unprocessed cows milk (except pasturising) than i did giving then a powdered highly processed byproduct of cheese production, essentially made from milk anyway.

#5 B.feral3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

My 13 month old 32 weeker is fully BF but I don't plan to wean him on to any milk, just water. In my opinion, cows milk is completely unnecessary in a child's diet. We seem to load kids to the eye balls with it but a few serves of other calcium rich foods is enough. My prem has always been anemic too and cows milk lowers the ability for iron to absorb.

I've never given cows milk to any of my kids though as a drink. Like I said, completely unnecessary when water is enough.

#6 handsfull

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

My DDs were born 13 weeks early so were on breastmilk until 9 months.  I switched to Karicare and we kept on their formula (toddler stage 3) until they were at least 2.  

They were eating very well and had adequate water but I thought why not.  It was cut down to 1-2 cups a day but just wanted to ensure they were getting all the nutrients they needed.  They also had normal milk a bit in cereal etc.  

Didn't hurt them in the least.

#7 B.feral3

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

I felt much better giving my kids fresh whole unprocessed cows milk (except pasturising) than i did giving then a powdered highly processed byproduct of cheese production, essentially made from milk anyway.

Milk is homogonised too so it's actually highly processed!! When we do buy milk for cooking and cereal, we choose the available unhomogonised option. They homogonise it because it looks nicer but it's completely unnatural. I heard someone from the Heart Foundation once speak about this on talk back radio a few years ago. Apparently he had been campaigning for years to stop homoginisation of milk because it was believed to block arteries and cause heart disease. To date I don't think the manufacturers have paid any attention to the research and the public none the wiser.

Anyway... sorry to go off track.  blush.gif

#8 aphraell

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

My DD was 7 weeks preemie and still can't handle much straight cows mil, although nothing to suggest that it is connected with being preemie.

She was BF/EBM till 3 months, then part BF/EBM and part formula (goats) until 11 months when she self weaned. We tried introducing cows milk at that time but she was very unsettled, bloated, stomach pains  and caused ear infections etc.

Now at 20 months she still has one bottle of 3/4 strength formala (organic goat) and only vey little other cows dairy. She can tolerate A2 milk a bit better than normal milk so thats what she has on her cereal. She very rarely has cheese or yoghurt so we just make sure she gets her calcium intake form other sources We are slowly watering down her one bottle of formula and I don't plan on replacing it with a bottle of milk.

Edited by aphraell, 18 January 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#9 knottygirl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 17/01/2013, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Milk is homogonised too so it's actually highly processed!! When we do buy milk for cooking and cereal, we choose the available unhomogonised option. They homogonise it because it looks nicer but it's completely unnatural. I heard someone from the Heart Foundation once speak about this on talk back radio a few years ago. Apparently he had been campaigning for years to stop homoginisation of milk because it was believed to block arteries and cause heart disease. To date I don't think the manufacturers have paid any attention to the research and the public none the wiser.

Anyway... sorry to go off track.  blush.gif

homogninised milk is not the same as processed formula.  they basically just break apart the larger fat molecules so they all mix in better.  they arent adding anything or taking anything away.  baby formula is very highly processed.  

i dont see how that could possibly be linked to blocked arterys, which is caused from high chloesterol.  

If he was campaigning and nothing was being done its probably because of lack of evidence or poor research techniques.

it happens all the time.  Someone does some poorly devised research using improper techniques or too small sample size, and gets some sensational result.  Then many many people attempt to replicate the result using proper scientific studys ect and find the first study incorrect.  But millions of sheep that just google stuff and believe everything that is written on the internet must be true cultivate these crazy thoughts.

I read a study once someone posted on facebook about how bad and dangerous milk from the supermarket is, how it has no nutritional value, and that pasturising in particular was bad and removed all the goodness.  It recommended that people drink unpasturised milk (even pregnant women), which can be bought from farms under the name of 'bath milk' as its illegal to sell unpasturised milk for human consumption.

100's of years of research and hard work and you get silly small minded people believing stuff because someone posted it on a webpage so it must be true.

#10 knottygirl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

and as far as me thinking baby formula is processed and unhealthy, thats not based on me just googling crap and believing it, i actually did a study a uni on a baby formula factory which looked at the production steps.

#11 Tesseract

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (knottygirl @ 18/01/2013, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and as far as me thinking baby formula is processed and unhealthy, thats not based on me just googling crap and believing it, i actually did a study a uni on a baby formula factory which looked at the production steps.

For someone who is spouting that infant formula is "processed and unhealthy" at the same time as criticizing others for their lack of research skills, might I suggest that you:

a) Have a think about the impact what you are saying might actually have. Your comments could easily be read as suggesting that you, with your superior knowledge from your uni project, are suggesting that people feed their babies (and you haven't specified an age so I'm going to go from newborn) cows milk over formula. Is that actually what you are saying?

b) Provide some research to back up your rather unorthodox claims. Since you've done so much study on the subject I'm sure this won't be difficult for you.

#12 MuminMtEliza

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

My DD who is nearly 16 months is still on formula. Her paed preferred formula over cows milk due to formula having more fat in it, and she is very small for her age (about 7-8kgs and usually sits around the 3rd percentile). If weight wasn't an issue, cows milk would be fine, but if they still need a bit of fattening up, I would stick to formula.

#13 .Jerry.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think it depends on an few factors.

- Is your child underweight / small?
- How is her digestion?
- What does your doctor / MCHN recommend?

I kept my daughter on the stage one formula as per her paediatrician's recommendation.  He said it was easier for her to digest and had higher calories that she needed.  She was very tiny still.  I was also advised by doctor to add an extra scoop of formula to her bottles.  
She was on this until we stopped bottles at age 2.  He advised against going on to toddler formula.

#14 Johnno01

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (knottygirl @ 18/01/2013, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[facepalm].

As I work at a factory that manufactures infant formula I feel I'm qualified to comment on this....

Of course infant formula is highly processed.  Its the most technically complex product we make.  Its very different from just powdered milk (although that is the base).  Many different ingredients are added, whey, lactose, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals and other special bioactive ingredients that help your babies immune system.  This is all designed to make a product that is as close as possible to natural breast milk.

And it goes without saying that quality control for infant products is extraordinarily tight.  You can't even go into the building without getting changed into different clothes, putting on paper overshoes, hair nets, etc etc.  Samples are taken continuously and the lab performs over 40 separate tests on each sample to ensure all product that is sent out is within specifications and free from contamination.

Of course, breast is best and no-one argues with that.  But unfortunately that is not always possible, so we try and make products that come as close to the real thing as we can.

Just because its made (aka "processed") in a huge machine that is several stories tall that cost tens of millions of dollars that doesn't make it "unhealthy".  

I would not be in the least surprised if you said you also think that vaccinations are unnatural and unhealthy too.

#15 Feralmummacat

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 18/01/2013, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For someone who is spouting that infant formula is "processed and unhealthy" at the same time as criticizing others for their lack of research skills, might I suggest that you:

a) Have a think about the impact what you are saying might actually have. Your comments could easily be read as suggesting that you, with your superior knowledge from your uni project, are suggesting that people feed their babies (and you haven't specified an age so I'm going to go from newborn) cows milk over formula. Is that actually what you are saying?

b) Provide some research to back up your rather unorthodox claims. Since you've done so much study on the subject I'm sure this won't be difficult for you.

+1

I would add c)

c) can you please provide research that relates to premature babies. The OP asked for people with experience with premature babies (it's in the title) it was also posted in the section for "babies born early and beyond". From reading your past comments it does not appear that you have had a premature baby.

#16 PoshMosh

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for all of your responses, lots to think about. Might speak to the GP.

#17 FEdeRAL

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

DS (28 weeker) went onto cows milk at 13 months corrected. He had no problem with the transition. From our experience, if the paeds and/or MCHN have no issues with your child's development generally and she is getting enough nutrition from various food groups, cows milk should be sufficient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.