How to give medicine to a wilful toddler!
Heeellllllp!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 katymac

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

DS has ear and throat infections, and has been put on 2.5mL amoxicillin, three times per day for 10 days, and Nurofen for the pain, every 6-8 hours or so.

On the advice of a friend, we've been mixing the amoxicillin into a small bottle of milk and giving it to him morning, noon and evening, and it's been relatively easy.

However, the Nurofen is another story.  We've tried "hiding" it in food and drink, squirting it with a syringe into his cheek.  No go.  He spits it out, clamps his jaw shut, and I swear he can even smell it and refuses the food it's mixed with.  He doesn't trust anything fruity flavoured.  We have to pin him down to attempt to administer it, and it's distressing for all involved - he's very strong and fights like a trooper.  Most of the time, it's wasted entirely, because we can't get the whole dose in (it's only a 2.5mL dose for the Nurofen, too!).  

Any suggestions?  He's not sleeping well because he's in pain - I just wish he could understand that the medicine would help him feel better. sad.gif

#2 livvie7586

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

how old OP?  from 2 there are chewable tablets (although i'm assuming your child is younger)

Otherwise, other then holding him down (i used to have to chuck DS's dummy in after the tiniest squirt to get him to swallow), there really isn't much you can do for a child who really doesn't like medicine.  Luckily once you're getting AB's into them the other symptoms disappear fairly quickly (as in they bounce back quickly), and sometimes you have to ride it out until then (you can also get suppositories if it gets too bad)

DS was so bad pead nurses couldn't get medicine into him, and unless he was extremely ill, i used to try to avoid medicating him

#3 tintoela

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Bribery?  I would give dd a sticker or a treat sometimes but luckily now she gladly will take nurofen when she is sick.  

If you have orange flavoured maybe try the strawberry one?  My dd's would not go near the strawberry but both like the orange flavour.

Another thing i did was swap to the 5-12 yr old one as then you don't have to give them as much ml wise as its stronger.

Edited by tintoela, 17 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#4 queeniebird

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes get the chewable tablets... Much easier..I think Advil is nurofen. Easy to chew.

#5 katymac

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Livvie - sorry, should have said he's 13 months.  My ticker isn't working!

I'd prefer not to medicate him too much, personally, and thankfully the ABs are kicking in, but the nights are a bit rough when he's sore.  He cried himself hoarse last night while we cuddled him, feeling very helpless.

He does have a dummy, so might try squirting in a bit and shoving his dummy in immediately, like you did with your DS!

#6 CFMummy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Have you tried letting him give it to himself sometime just that little bit of control and they will happily take it

#7 elizabethany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have a DS like that, the only thing he will take voluntarily is the amoxicillin.  Everything else, we have to treat him like we are dosing a cow.  Basically, holding him with his head firm, and a syringe right to the back of the throat area.  Far enough back that he has to swallow it, and can't spit it out, but not so far that he chokes.  It is a very fine line.  It is not pleasant for anyone involved, but sometimes there is not a huge amount of choice.  We had Whooping cough in the house late last year, and he had precautionary antibiotics, so not really something you could miss.

you can also try to find a compounding chemist that can make up a better flavoured medicine for you.  I have heard of lollypops and apple or chocolate flavoured syrups  before, but never tried them personally.

#8 asdf89

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

How about crushing up the nurofen tablet and mixing with honey.

Then he thinks he's just getting a spoonful of honey Tounge1.gif

#9 amabanana

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

If it is for pain relief I would go with Panadol suppositories.  We used them for DD who would NOT take medicine.  Being in hospital with her was a nightmare for all involved.  Even the nurses were miffed at how to get things into her.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

There's 2 flavours of Nurofen: strawberry and orange. Have you tried both flavours?

My DD absolutely refused to take the strawberry but will suck down the orange flavour very happily. She's almost 3yo and is happy to take medicine as long as it is orange flavoured. Still won't do strawberry/raspberry flavours, which is strange because she loves strawberry yoghurt.

I know that there has been a thread a few months ago about squirting in down the inside of the cheek.

Found it:
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...&hl=syringe

There are some good hints in that thread.

Good luck.

#11 Regular Show

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have one of these toddlers original.gif fun isnt it?!  wacko.gif

I have had most success with offering it to her in a medicine cup and occasionally she will drink it herself or part of it - most times not. Anything in a syringe she will fight, scream, spit, throw up etc etc.

Bribery does not work here.

Apart from that we just squirt it down and hope some gets into her. Its easier if their head is lower than the shoulders too.

Goodluck

#12 katymac

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I have considered going to a compounding chemist!  He scoffed some chocolate custard yesterday, and wished we could get chocolatey flavoured painkiller, LOL!  He loves fruit, but hates anything fruit-flavoured, it seems.  Very strange.  

The chemist was very good, though, he suggested getting the concentrated Nurofen for older kids, so it's a smaller dose.  He doesn't really have enough teeth to crunch the chewable tablets.

#13 katymac

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Regular Show.  Knew DS wasn't the only one.  Bribery won't cut it for him.  

We did offer it to him in a cup, but he got a tiny bit on his lips, blew a raspberry and threw the cup.  *sigh*

#14 Regular Show

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (katymac @ 17/01/2013, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Regular Show.  Knew DS wasn't the only one.  Bribery won't cut it for him.  

We did offer it to him in a cup, but he got a tiny bit on his lips, blew a raspberry and threw the cup.  *sigh*

LOL yep that sounds about right  happy.gif  you have to laugh otherwise you'd cry.

I use the concentrated version. I just dont get my hopes up anymore that she will have it and have a cloth ready to catch what comes back out, which is just about everything. Its sooooo sticky.

Definitely not alone.

Edited by Regular Show, 17 January 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#15 Genabee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Mix it with a spoonful of natural yoghurt.....

#16 JustBeige

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I had one of those kids too.

When we realised that they didnt like Panadol flavour but they had to have it and we didnt have anything else in the house and all the chemists were closed,  we just waited till they opened their mouth and screamed and you know when they close their eyes as they are building up for a real yell? well DH would wait behind me and squirt it down the back of their throat.   Once they stopped spluttering we followed it up with a drink of their fav drink.  

We then shopped around and tried a few and found that they would take the Chemists own brand flavour.    

I certainly understand the "I'll give it to him wrapped in chocolate if he would just take the medicine"  sentiment.

Edited by JustBeige, 17 January 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#17 PriLou

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Neurofen is for pain. You could try Dymadon which is paracetamol and is also foR the treatment of pain. My DD is 12 months and will happily take her Dymadon.

#18 LovenFire

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

My LO hates panadol and hates nurofen too.  We give him Dimedon which is thicker and orange flavored and then our challenge is how to convince him that truly, really, he doesn't need anymore.  

If that doesn't work though ...get him slightly before bedtime (as no-one likes a traumatic bedtime), pop him on the change table.  Lean over him to hold him down, pinch nose and get that syringe in his mouth as soon as the mouth is open. Once you have the medicine in, pop your hand under his chin so he can't open his mouth and spit it out.

It isn't nice, but if he is pain, you just do what you need to do to help them - even if they don't think so at the time.

#19 kez71

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

is it possible to put it in cordial or juice and freeze it as an iceblock?? I read somewhere to do this for things kids don't want to eat..i guess it would depend on how cold neurofen is allowed to get before it doesn't work.

#20 kadoodle

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (amabanana @ 17/01/2013, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is for pain relief I would go with Panadol suppositories.  We used them for DD who would NOT take medicine.  Being in hospital with her was a nightmare for all involved.  Even the nurses were miffed at how to get things into her.

Yep.  Up the bum it was for my little medicine spitter.  Watching her angrily trying to fart it out was pretty funny too.

#21 Jenflea

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

OMG, angry farts? that's hilarious!

#22 kez71

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

sorry, double post

Edited by kez71, 17 January 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#23 tenar

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

We got a technique for DD2 around that age where we'd stick a syringe in between her teeth/gums, squirt in the medicine bit by bit, but never let the syringe out until she had swallowed some.  You can't spit something out if you can't close your mouth first.

Not fun at all, but it did work.  

Eventually she decided she liked it, mostly, and it was easier from then on.  

DD2 prefers the nurofen type syringes (it's a cylinder, not syringe shaped) to the ones that come with panadol, which are syringe shaped.  No idea why, but it might be worth experimenting with different shapes.

Good luck.

#24 belinda1976

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Does it have to be Nurofen - plenty of other pain medications that have different flavours.

#25 mumofenergiserbuny

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

my son was always spitting medicine out when he was smaller, so we found that squirting said medicine into a bottle teat and giving it to him to suck on worked....
worth a try original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.