Help with Tricky Work Situation!
Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 laura7

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I would appreciate some input  from EB members about a tricky, work-related situation I find myself in.  Here goes:

I started a new job when DD was 4 months old.  I gave it considerable thought at the time and thought that it was "do-able"- 2 set days per week with some extra days and an on-call component.  At the time  DH wasn't working a great deal so it seemed ideal.  Anyway, from the time DD was 2 months old I began expressing, getting her used to having a bottle and orientating her into the local day car centre.  

Anyway, all went incredibly well, even better than I anticipated, until about 4 months when the Manager announced that he was retiring, and another staff member also left.  One of my colleagues began acting in the managerial role until a suitable replacement could be found.  She had initially applied and deemed unsuitable for this position on a permanent basis (no past management experience).  Any way months go by and due to the paucity of applicants she is given the role.

The person whom I replaced gave me lots of advice re this person such as "don't trust her" and words to that affect, however due to my nature and the fact that I didn't have any specific grievances disregarded his advice.  Well no sooner than she was in the job she began berating me, putting me down behind my back and suggesting that I was unreliable if I had a sick day if either of my children were unwell.  She also talks about other staff members behind their backs  and generally sets about making the work situation toxic.  Yes I felt bullied and harassed!  DH has been begging me to leave for ages.

For some time I have thought about resigning even though the hours of this job were generally ideal and I was working in an area that I loved and had considerable experience in.  After much thought I decided against it (primarily because of financial reasons) instead organised an additional one day per week job elsewhere to gain a bit of perspective and enrolled in a part time course to give me some long term options.

So I go on leave two weeks ago.  Manager goes to me "Have a nice holiday", "Where are you going?" etc and generally insincere platitudes such as this.  I get back from our family holiday and there is a letter waiting for me from head office requesting a formal meeting to discuss my workplace conduct and performance.  To say I was shattered would be a huge understatement .  Anyway the meeting was scheduled for while I was still on leave so my DH rang up to cancel it (he volunteered).  At this point i couldn't stop shaking. Four days have gone passed and I am still preoccupied with this (sleep severely affected) and I still don't know what to do-I'm not usually indecisive.  I'm due to return on Monday.  I am not in a union and I know that if I were to join would not help me as the letter predates my joining.  I feel I have no other option to resign and feel very hurt and angry-especially as my conduct has been called into question.  As it's too late to submit a resignation letter I feel sick with dread about going on Monday.  Any  constructive ideas anyone?  What would you do?  I don't want to discuss it with DH anymore as he has a tendency to say "told you so" which in this case is not constructive!

#2 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Not sure this is baby names?

#3 dessiesgirl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

You walk in with your head held high, waving the letter around, look your boss straight in the eye and ask if now is a convenient time for the meeting you were advised about. Join your union anyway - they may help, I'm not sure. In any case, you are entitled to have a support person with you at any disciplinary meeting, so ask a co-worker to come with you, as a witness.

And take notes. Then write or email your boss with a summary of what has been said by both sides, so there is no room for lies or misunderstandings at any later date. Ask for specific examples of the unsatisfactory cobduct referred to in the letter, and ask why it hasn't been addressed before.

Don't take any crap - you've done nothing wrong!

Edited by dessiesgirl, 17 January 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Do not resign!

I'd go to the meeting & find out what exactly it is they have an issue with. They should give you an opportunity to discuss your side of the issue. If they don't, i am sure fair work australia should be able to help you out.

#5 mollybot

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Deep breath.

Gather your wits and your resolve, go in on Monday and tell them that you will need any problems that they may have had with your performance in writing so that you have time to address them.

TELL them that the meeting will have to be rescheduled for at least a week's time. Refuse to have any meeting with them sooner. If pressed, tell them that you are a bit taken aback that they would do this while you are on holiday.

This will buy you time. If you are stressed out of your mind, go to your GP and tell them, they can write you a sick note for stress and this may come in handy later.

Ask yourself "Do I *need* to stay in this job for the money ?" if the money would be tight but copable, I'd walk away and go for work elsewhere.

Chin up, you've done nothing wrong ! Don't let her run you out of town !! Leave on your own terms, don't squeak in there on Monday and resign !!

#6 FiveAus

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

You have the right to have a support person in that type of meeting. They generally can't say anything but they can take notes and also witness what's being said between management and you.
Is there someone at work, maybe in a different department, who you like and could act as your support person?

Also, contact Fair Work Australia and ask their advice.

#7 elmo_mum

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

you can still join the union... and they will still help you!!!

they may want a bit of back pay fees, but they will still help you out!!!!

#8 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

You can join your union. I had an issue at work and joined the union and they helped me out. Don't be too quick to quit your job, if other people are having issues with this manager then perhaps they could voice their concerns with the union too. You have a right to bring a support person into the meeting with you, but you have to let your manager know about this in advance.

Have a list ready for any issues you many want to bring up, be sure to make sure they voiced in a professional manner. Also, if you have an idea of the things she may bring up, have some rebuttals and explanations prepared.

At my work we managed to get department manager to quit (wel HR told us it was a "mutual" decision") by collectively submitting complaints about her to our HR department.  As one of the union quotes say "the workers, united, wil never be defeated".

#9 Radical Fembo Bull

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Have you actually spoken to the union, or are you assuming they won't help? Most will help someone in your situation, I've known of two completely disparate situations (different workplaces and very different unions) where they've been more than happy to help non members in cases such as yours.

Please give them a call if you haven't already.

#10 password123

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Definitely don't quit. Pps have given great advice about arming yourself with a support person and documenting what their "complaints" are. Please seek union advice.

#11 laura7

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.  Looks like I have some serious thinking to do and I'll just have to psych my self up for Monday  sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.