Best green salad?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Maple Leaf

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Can you give me your best green salad ideas?

I need to bring one to a BBQ this weekend and I want to make something that's a bit interesting.

My usual green salad that I make for us at home just isn't going to cut it for this party I'm going to!

So what to you put in yours and what tastes amazing?

Thanks everyone. original.gif

#2 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Crunchy Noodle Salad is my go to for BBQs, and it always goes down a treat. Spring onions, chinese cabbage, pine nuts/almonds and crunchy noodles. The recipe is on the pack of the packet, and apparently you can buy the dressing ready made

#3 Maple Leaf

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I would love to do that HollyOlly as I have a great wombok salad recipe but I was told that someone else is bringing that and I'm stuck with green salad! sad.gif

Green as in lettuce based.

Boohoo.

Edited by Maple Leaf, 17 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#4 9ferals

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I wonder if you could call this a green salad? It's not, but it's easy, delicious and different - maybe add more spinach and call it green!
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20317/warm+cauliflower+salad

Or what about something with roasted pumpkin, baby spinach, fetta and pinenuts?

Or make the salad you usually make but layer it up on a big platter instead of a salad bowl - I'd put a layer of mixed greeens, finely sliced capsicums, fennel, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with some fetta and maybe sliced boiled eggs then drizzle some dressing artistically on top.  Then top it with some toasted slivered almonds or sunflower seeds - it's the same old stuff but looks prettier on a platter!

#5 s'peachykeen

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Rocket, finely sliced pear, marinated fetta and chopped walnuts or pecans. Not really any need for dressing if you're using marinated fetta. Is good biggrin.gif

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Lots of rocket!

Rocket is just so damned sophistimacated!

Last night we had rocket, baby spinach, thin slices of orange, thin slices of red onion and fetta (DP whined for the fetta) and I made a dressing with orange juice, herbed olive oil (from the halumi pot) and garlic.

#7 maeby

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Toasted sunflower/sesame/pumpkin seeds on top.  Just whack them in a frying pan until they are golden, and they add such a delicious extra flavour to any old salad.

#8 amesv

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

If you like mango this is a great one: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28600/green+salad+with+mango

or I have made this one and got lot of compliments: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20266/gree...raisin+dressing

#9 noi'mnot

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I totally second rocket (or roquette, if you want to be truly sophistimacated!) for a lovely salad.

Alternatively, how about Fattoush? I highly disagree with this recipe's use of iceberg lettuce (use cos), and you probably won't find baqli so just leave that out quite happily. Don't cut the tomatoes into 8ths, they should be diced. Lettuce should be finely chopped. Coriander is an optional addition. The dressing should also have pomegranate molasses in it - just a spoonful or so. The sumac is essential to the dressing, I don't use paprika. original.gif

ETA: the pita bread should also be cut (use scissors) into small squares and fried, rather than toasted. Just scatter it over the top after dressing.

Edited by noi'mnot, 17 January 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#10 bubbaboo33

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

what about a layered green salad for something a bit different. Heaps of different recipes for it if you google.

#11 credence

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

A green salad is technically just green leaves (a mix of really nice lettuce) and a knockout french dressing.

Check this recipe by Ina Garten.

#12 Maple Leaf

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

wow thanks everyone! I have some fabulous ideas for tomorrow  and I may have to do the fancy rocket type. lol.

I was a bit scared to just google some salads as some aren't great and I wanted ones that have been tried and tested.

Much appreciated. original.gif

Edited by Maple Leaf, 18 January 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#13 Academic

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

My favourite is rocket, thinly sliced pear or apple, shaved parmesan and balsamic vinegar.

#14 LittleBear

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Fancy mixed green lettuce selection, cucumber, grape tomatoes, capsicum, red onion, corn kernels and four bean mix and Red Kelly's French dressing (which I get from a local deli/green grocer).

That's my go to green salad.

HTH, Amanda

Edited by LittleBear, 18 January 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#15 JLC

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Here's an idea with the layered salad http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/layered-salad/

#16 Maple Leaf

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for all of the ideas, will be trying some of these at home as well.
I might bring the pear and parm salad tonight though as Dh has had it before and really liked it.

#17 lucy-lu

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

What about this one, my latest obsession:
1 cucumber diced
1/2 capsicum diced
8 cherry tomato (or normal tomato equivalent) cut into 3
Handful parsley chopped
Handful mint chopped
Tin cannelli beans
Mix and dress with, splash vegetable or plain oil, squeeze lemon juice and salt. Yummy

#18 Funnington

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I don't think you can beat a classic green salad using your favourites salad leaves - cos, spinach leaves, rocket, butter lettuce etc.  I also like to add cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, fresh asparagus spears and crumbled fetta cheese.  A perfect (and easy dressing) is a mix of balsamic vinegar, seeded mustard, salt & paper and crushed clover of garlic.  Which the dressing and toss through.

It stands the test of time if you prepare a ahead and even add/toss the dressing through before it's served.  

Goes well with anything.  

A fresh bean and tomato salad is also nice with a similar type dressing omitting the grain mustard for dijon.

#19 Maple Leaf

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Such great ideas! I will be serving salad every night at this rate. wink.gif

#20 niggles

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

You can stop looking now. I have the best salad ever.

Cube 2 packets of haloumi and fry til golden.
Chop 4-6 Roma tomatoes, or a packet of grape tomatoes into large pieces.
Sprinkle over greens - rocket would work or I use Italian parley.

Dress with a salsa of:
Chopped green olives - half a jar should do
Capers - two big tablespoons
Handful of chopped Italian parsley
Lemon juice - half a lemon
Olive oil - generous
Salt and pepper.

It's to die for.

#21 knittingkitten

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Mmmm...haloumi....

A great dressing is essential for a green salad. Our favourite is a combination of lemon juice, EVOO, seeded mustard, leatherwood and salt/pepper.

#22 Charlies Angel

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Actually, skip the rocket, baby spinach etc... Iceberg's back in. It's a retro thing. wink.gif

The difference is to cut the iceberg in wedges and pour a creamy dressing over it.

Something like this: http://www.marthastewart.com/348894/iceber...-ranch-dressing

But I would prob skip the bacon & cucumber garnish and sprinkle with chives instead. Prep at home, pour over dressing just before serving.

#23 Chaos in stereo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#24 MissButtercup

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

These all sound wonderful but I think if you add fresh herbs to any of these they would be perfect! Adding basil, coriander, mint or parsley make a green salad.

My ideal salad would be something like this -

Rocket
Coriander and/or mint
Mango
Feta
Grilled capsicum
and maybe cucumber...

Edited by MissButtercup, 19 January 2013 - 06:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.