Laproscopy -Post Op- Shop
What helped you?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Manda

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Ok so you've had your surgery and you finally make it home, what do you want and need?

I'm trying to complie a list of what to buy before i go in so i have it on hand when i come home. What where the things that you wanted and needed? What did you forget, that you sent someone off to get?

Obvioulsy things like heat packs, ice, pads.....

So please share with me!

Thanks

#2 i-candi

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Is that the one you have with small incisions?  I found there was minimal pain and when I was finally allowed out (bladder complications) I was in no pain.

I've had the operation with a cut from belly button down & I was in pain from that but I found moving around was the best.

#3 domestically~challenged

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I don't think anything for my exploratory laparoscopy...

For my operative laparoscopy (endo removed) it was just drugs every 4 hours. If I fell asleep and went over I would wake in lots of pain.

Recovery is pretty quick though.

#4 MrsLexiK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

what sort of lap?

I have had an operative lap where my appendix was removed and endo removed and (internal) bleeding cleaned out . This was basically emergancy surgery.  I struggled getting in and out of bed for a number of days and DH had to wake me every 4 hours without fail for my drugs.  I couldn't go to my house to stay as my bed at the time was really low to the floor so my mum came and helped me have a shower.  I should have stayed overnight that night but rushed out of hospital as soon as I could. My SIL did grab me some trackies and some undies but this was basically wake up one night when I stayed at DH's house with massive pains and being rushed to the hospital so the only clothes I had where some work clothes, and the clothes I went to the hospital in (basically my pj's)
I found driving even at 2 weeks painful, and at three weeks when I went back to work it still hurt to sit for long periods.

The next lap I had was endo removed, nerves cut, dye put through (and a D&C at the same time) and something else with the lap. I did stay over night due to the anthestic I was on, but they didn't give me good drugs for this just usual drugs I would of got at home. I was home out of bed much easier then the last time, could shower by myself by the time I went home. I was babysitting my neice and nephew within 5 days of having the surgery and then went shopping and had lunch a few times that week. I was able to drive basically after a few days with no pain (and I did drive to my dr as one of the incesions became infected and I needed it checked out.  With the first surgery there is no way I could have done that)

I did have 2.5 weeks off but that was due to my experience with other recovery but also because of the drugs they give you really affect me.

I don't know if it was the type of surgery that I had each time or if it was because one was emergancy and I had been in massive amounts of pain (and therefore tired before surgery) before going into the first one and the other was planned.

oh but both my mum and DH's mum made us a few meals.

#5 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I've had a laproscopic appendectomy and a laproscopic looksie.

Laproscopic appendectomy - I used panadeine for first 24-48 hours, then panadol/nuerofen for the next 3-4 days as required.

Laproscopy just for a look?  Maybe some panadeine for 24 hours, panadol/nuerofen for the next 2-3 days.  

For both procedures, get up and walking as soon as you can, just don't be too rough or do anything stupid.  It will hurt to sit up and lift yourself in/out of chairs and beds (particularly for the first week or so), so keep that in mind.  

I recovered much faster from the looksie than I did from the appendectomy (longer procedure I suppose).

I never used heat packs or ice packs.  Just some over-the-counter pain meds.

Suggest you take pull-up/elastic waisted pants or skirts to wear after the procedure.  They are easier to pull on/off and less likely to irritate the wounds, IME.  And I found full-brief knickers to be better than bikini style knickers, at least for the first week or so.

#6 Manda

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ah yeah sorry Should have given basic background...AFAIK at this point its exploratory lap, due to sevre pelvic pain, periods getting very heavy and painful dispite being on pill. Family history of hyst from painful heavy periods.

I'm unsure whether if they find anything they will act while in there...I should find all that out at my pre op on wednesday. When they booked me in for it they didnt say much, probably because i was hysterical mess from a very painful pap and a disbeliving Gyno and nurse, There thankfully was one woman in the room who saw that i really was in pain and was trying to get the Gyno and nurse to understand all while holding my hand and stoking my head....was not in a good way after that

I know of some woman who recover very quick and others who take time...Thats fine i'll deal with what comes. Im more at this stage thinking of what items imay need when i come home, EG some woman have said heat packs help with the pain from the left over gas in the tummy etc

original.gif

#7 mez70

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ok I would have
Some small melolin type dressings, I have had multiple Laps over the years and my belly button wound always is ozey so i like to change it after a day or 2, I also get betadine swabs to clean around wound site.

One thing I ALWAYS make sure I have is something Fizzy to drink that makes me burp.. TMI I know but I always find I need to burp as I am so full of the gas afterwards and burping helps me lol. Also don't be scared if you get really sore shoulder tip pain as it is the Gas and damm sore and uncomfortable.

Pain relief should be written up by your Anesthestist, and will often be Pandene Forte or similar so I would wait until the day of the proceedure to see what they give you.

Good luck, It should be fine, are they doing any "Other things at the same time" i often have my tubes flushed with dye and other studies at the same time, it will depend what they find as to how much they do. I have had endo removed and adhesions split and cut during mine so all will depend.

#8 Manda

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thanks mez70, Being that they said exploratory lap-in the public system, i highly doubt they will do anything while in there unless its life threatening.....more likely book me back in in another 3-6 mths  rolleyes.gif

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I had a lap to remove endo.

Pain killers.
Lots of cushions to prop up on. I had horrible pain in my shoulders if I sat up, a few well placed cushions helped me watch tv, read, eat, etc.
Some fresh dressings (those square ones IYKWIM)
After a general your lips can get dry so cold drinks and lollies to suck help.
Maybe get some meals and things ready in the freezer to make life easier if you do find standing hard like I did.

#10 i-candi

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

My 3 ops were to remove dermoid cysts (two large open cuts and one lap).

I found the gas pain to be in my shoulders, not in stomach area.

Good luck, surgery is daunting the first time.

#11 Manda

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Pooks- Thanks
Cushions - check im kinda a pillow freak due to other medical issues lol
Meals- BF will do the cooking for a week (then i will go back to my place and my kids)
Lollies added to list biggrin.gif
dressings added

#12 Feral-Lausii

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey Manda, as you know I had one back in 2004 for an ectopic. It was quite painful for me for a few days, I needed painkillers for a few days. But after that it was fine. The only thing I can remember was the vomiting after the operation, that was awful. Best of luck, hope they figure it out for you.  original.gif

#13 mandala

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Heat bag, hot water bottle, couple of good dvds, plus the pain relief provided by the dr. The best tip I was given was to keep moving around to help get rid of the gas. I would get up every hour or so and just gently walk into the kitchen to get a drink.

#14 Mrs Pink

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Most items on my list were due to the general anaesthetic. Cup a soups & juice as I was so nauseous and real food made it worse. Also strepsils as my throat hurt from the tube down my throat when under.

#15 leo the lioness

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I've had two laparoscopies to remove endometriosis - the last one was 5 months ago.  My first one was exploratory but they also treated the endometriosis they found so don't be surprised if they do treat any endo should they find any.

You should be sent home with painkillers - I was sent home with Endone, Panamax and Voltaren as well as an anti-emetic seeing as I was lucky enough to get to spend the night in hospital and spent it vomiting.  (Was day surgery with a bed booked 'just in case' - I needed the bed!  In the words of my gynaecologist "my tummy is a mess".)

Make sure you rest the first few days.  DVD's and books come in very handy.

All the best.

Edited by leo the lioness, 17 January 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#16 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

For your pre-op ask them "what will you do if you find something, and what will you do if you don't find something" there are nerves which cause period pain, my gyno cut these when he removed the endo, it was about 6 months later that I was dx with adeno as certain pain was still there and still very heavy bleeding.  They did a D&C to ensure that all the endo was gone. I also had my cysts lasered off my overies, my gyno did everything he could so he wouldn't have to go back in again. (Mine was private but I would hope that would not make a difference to the type of health care you receive) If you research up on some issues with pelvic pain you could come up with some ways for your dr to proceed so you only have to go under once. ie: if you find this can you do this, if you don't find this please do this so we can rule that out.  There are conditions - such as adeno - that you won't be able to look/get a dx for in a lap (only a hyst) just because "everything looks normal" doesn't mean that it is.

I second the fizzy drink for the gas, I didn't find I needed heat pads or anything but I am a suffer of endo and adeno so used to ab area pain, it might help with the shoulder pain though that a lot of women get with the gas

Also a cushion/pillow to hold over your tummy when you are going over bumps and speed humps on the way home.

As I said I have had two both with a fair bit of work done but both with very different healing times, not sure if this was because of the dr (ie one being more gentle perhaps) or the fact one was basically emergancy and the other I had time to prepare for?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.