Sharing info with DH/DP *spin off*

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 asdf89

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Following on from a comment made on a previous topic... How much do you share with your DP/DH/DF?
I know my partner's passwords for email/Facebook/net banking- not so I can monitor him or anything, but so I can help him out by transferring money/paying bills/checking flights etc when he doesn't have access to a computer. He also knows all of mine, but hasn't had to use them as much so forgets them.
I also share all my medical issues with him (breakthrough bleeding/UTIs) to the point that I think he knows more about female body functions than most of my female friends haha.
I also share news/gossip with him (even though according to some on the other post this isn't right). Mainly because I know he will never tell anyone, and sometimes you just need someone to discuss/react to things with.
So I was wondering... Is this normal (I'm not really worried if we aren't). How much do you share with your other half? Is there anything you don't share with them?

Edited by asdf89, 16 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#2 ubermum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I share everything. If I see his eyes start to glaze over, I know I am just boring him.

#3 asdf89

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 16/01/2013, 11:01 PM)
15244669[/url]']
I share everything. If I see his eyes start to glaze over, I know I am just boring him.

Haha yep! On the phone when he starts just saying 'yep...... Yeah........yep' I know I've either bored him stupid or he's reading something/watching tv.

#4 Justaduck

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I share pretty much everything with him. We have a very open relationship.
We know each others passwords (but only use them when necessary with permission...ie if DP is at work and wants to put on FB asking if anyone wants to hang out that night, then I will put that on for him...I am also the money person so if I need to transfer things around etc), so much like you OP.
DP also knows about my medical history (extensive) but he may need to one day if something arises. I seem to be prone to kidney infections so if I say I have a sore lower back etc he mentions it could be that. I also know his medical history. He has just started back on Ritalin (this morning) so I need to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't suffer any of the bad side effects from it. He may not even realise if he is.
I tell him things, unless I have been told not to.

Only things I don't share with him, or hide from him are things that are to be a surprise for him. Ie I will 'block' him from seeing a fb post if I am asking for what people think about it

#5 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yep we share everything to we are very open I just can't keep anything from him as he knows me to well and knows when I am keeping something from him same with me I know when he is keeping something from me.

#6 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Double post**.

Edited by cheekymonkeysmum, 16 January 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#7 asdf89

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 16/01/2013, 11:11 PM)
15244697[/url]']
I share none of that stuff with my partner. There is no need.

Why on earth would you tell him you have a UTI? There is such a thing as over sharing.

Why wouldn't I tell him? He would be aware that im not feeling well and I always end up on antibiotics when I get one, so I would need to explain to him the sudden need to use condoms anyway. Not telling him would be irresponsible.

#8 bakesgirls

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I tell my husband everything. We know each others passwords and pin numbers. I tell him gossip I've heard, he tells me too. He can tell me anything and I will never tell a soul if he doesn't want me to. I can tell him anything too, and he would never tell anyone.

He knows all of my medical problems, I have ulcerative colitis, he even knows when it is flaring up and I have started bleeding. He knows about any breakthrough bleeding I have between periods. There is nothing I can think of that I keep from him. I don't see the need to. We are partners in life and all that it entails.

EFS

Edited by bakesgirls, 16 January 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#9 stephanu

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yeah we tell each other everything. Mainly because we love to talk to each other. There is nothing I can think of that I wouldn't tell him and I'm pretty sure he feels the same. We tell each other gross medical stuff too. He knows so many things about me that absolutely no one else knows and vice versa.

All our emails and facebooks have the password saved so we can auto login, so I guess we have access to each others accounts. His are usually open on the main computer and I will often check his Facebook instead of mine because we share most of our friends and likes and I couldn't be bothered logging out. He does the same if mine is open.

Eta- we know each others pin numbers because it's a linked account anyway and I always forget my wallet.  rolleyes.gif

Edited by stephanu, 16 January 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#10 Feralishous

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

we share everything. This is the man who changed my pads, emptied my catheter bags and showered me, after watching me push a baby out of my vagina. No secrets here.

#11 i-candi

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 16/01/2013, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why on earth would you tell him you have a UTI? There is such a thing as over sharing.

ummmm because we have sex daily (even twice daily) on average when he is home. He would kind of notice when I don't want sex????

Whilst we don't know passwords etc if needed DH would ask me to log in and give me his passwords so I can complete his transactions for net banking. Although this is rare.

DH tells me things, I tell him things. It's just what you do when partnered.

#12 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

We have the same PIN so that is not an issue. DH is completely computer illiterate so I do all the on-line stuff. Personal or medical things? I tell him as little as possible because he just cannot keep his mouth shut and our personal business would be the talk of the pub within a nano-second.

#13 ~Supernova~

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (trishalishous @ 16/01/2013, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we share everything. This is the man who changed my pads, emptied my catheter bags and showered me, after watching me push a baby out of my vagina. No secrets here.

This! Except he was IN the birthing pool with me. That was just delightful to think about after LOL. But yeah, no secrets here either.

#14 Carmen02

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

we share everything! no secrets here! We have been through so much together we share everything together

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I don't know DH's pin numbers for his bank accounts, he doesn't know mine.  In 15 years, this hasn't ever been an issue.  Then again, our main bank account (where out pays go) is a joint account, so not a lot of secrecy there. Online, I can see his accounts and he can see mine. Our individuals accounts have small balances and we know what's going on with each other wrt to them.  

I definitely tell DH a lot.  We both offload about work stuff and family stuff.  I keep DH up to date about what's going on with our friends and family (also known as gossiping, I suppose).  DH isn't interested in hearing trivial gossip, so it's pretty obvious when he shuts off listening.  He tells me what's going on with his mates, but he does have the memory of a goldfish sometimes.  He can talk with his mother and then remember a week later that he needed to tell me a, b and c.  That's just him though.

I don't feel the need to tell DH everything that I think or feel.  Or everything that is told to me either.  I assume he does the same.  But I do like the fact that I could, if I wanted to.  That's why we're together.

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 16/01/2013, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited, because a UTI is not the same as an IUD (have no idea why I got that mixed up, LOL!  roll2.gif )

Would I tell DH if I had a UTI?  Probably, because it would most likely mean that I was on antibiotics and DH would notice that.  Plus, he'd notice it if I started going to the toilet every 5 minutes and was feeling crook.  He'd ask what was wrong without me having to bring it to his attention.  He's seen a lot worse when I was pregnant, giving birth, so a UTI is nothing.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 17 January 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#16 lactasticmama

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

We share anything & everything also. He is my husband/best friend/soul mate etc, so why not.

#17 lafonda

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I tell DH everything. And I mean everything.

#18 .Jerry.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

If I am told something in confidence, I keep my promise.  I don't tell my partner.  If I do, then I have not kept that secret.

I don't know his passwords and PINs, but I could have a good guess at them if I wanted to.  Thing is, I have no need or desire to know them.

I don't tell him much work stuff as it would be unprofessional of me to do so, apart from general whinges.

I have no interest in being any "closer" to him in terms of what I share.  We share interests and conversation.  We share also what needs to be shared.

#19 BadCat

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Stuff to do with our life I share.  He knows where to find my bank account info (and his, I look after all the banking and finance).  He knows when I'm sick.  I don't deliberately keep anything much from him but I don't feel the need to blurt out everything either.

The only things I deliberately keep from him are things about other people that he has no business knowing.

And he doesn't know certain things from my childhood because I never speak of them to anyone.

#20 SophieBear

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I share everything with DH.

He knows everything I know and he knows every ailment, mostly because I whinge.

I know everything that he remembers to tell me.

DH knows so much he knows how I have issues going to the loo and will ask how everything is going.. now that is over sharing!

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I tell him most things, I don't think I have ever been told something where I was asked to not tell my DH anyway.  Well maybe from my SIL but then her DH was telling my DH at the same time she was telling me.  

I log into DH's account a fair bit, moreso when I was doing his book keeping for him now it is more direct debits I have set up so it is only if he needs a balance check,  he has the ability to log into mine but doesn't remember the passwords.  Due to the way our accounts are set up and how we get paid we sometimes take each others cards. One of the accoutns which is in my name is the account our mortgage comes from and the account our stuff for the house spending (ie: pool stuff, garden stuff) I have literally been too lazy to get his own card so he just takes mine.  When I go in and change the name on my cards I will also ask for a card for DH for both of the CC's in my name and also the account which really should have been set up as a joint account.  

He has email and facebook but I know everything and I am the one that reads it to him as he would be lost.  He doesn't know my log ins but would be able to pick up my phone and tap the icon and have access to all my accounts.

#22 baddmammajamma

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 17/01/2013, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I am told something in confidence, I keep my promise.  I don't tell my partner.  If I do, then I have not kept that secret.

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 17/01/2013, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I consider myself a loyal person.  As such, I would NOT tell my partner gossip or secrets someone else has told me to keep to myself.  That does not mean my husband and I don't have an "open" relationship, or I'm keeping secrets from him.

QUOTE (BadCat @ 17/01/2013, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only things I deliberately keep from him are things about other people that he has no business knowing.

All of these.

When a friend confides in me and says, "Please don't tell ANYONE," that "anyone" includes my husband. We are partners in life, but he is not an extension of me. It would be breaking a trust if I were to share someone else's secret, when I've promised not to tell anyone.

#23 baddmammajamma

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Grrrr...weird EB double post thingy going on.....

Edited by baddmammajamma, 17 January 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#24 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

We have just been through preganancy and childbirth - there is not much that hasnt been shared.

Early on in the relationship I did have a very serious discussion after he shared something very personal with his mother.  What happens in the marriage stays in the marriage.

#25 Justaduck

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 16/01/2013, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you tell him if you have a chest infection? Ear infection? An infection is an infection. I am not sure about others but I feel ill and drained each time I have had one, until the next day after starting antibiotics. Also you are back and forth on the toilet as it causes a sensation of needing to pee, so if he was off and on the toilet every 5mins I would be asking him if everything is okay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.