Welfare causes child abuse?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/...0115-2crh2.html

Do people really still believe this sort of drivel? I know Fairfax is hardly left leaning, but this seems quite ridiculously conservative for any modern sensibilities....

#2 kiam

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I would love to see the sources he used for this article, mainly because I bet there really isn't a whole lot of research into what percentage of single mothers receiving the dole are dating men who want to prey on said single mother's teenage daughter.

#3 EBeditor

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

It is frightening that some people think like that. I was very offended. I am sure Fairfax will publish a rebuttal by another person, it is just one man's opinion.

The fact that no mention was made of single fathers  -or fathers in general, was just bizarre!

#4 karen_tim_black

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm pretty sur J Hirst is the 'black armband view of Indigenous Australian history' guy, so loved by J howard and friends.  He's an irritant.
Google him - you know you want to.

#5 bettymm

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I am hoping and praying that the wonderful, selfless, hardworking single mothers I know do not have the misfortune of reading this article.  How disgusting sad.gif

#6 kay11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Correlation does not equal causation.

#7 EssentialBludger

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm sure we all know someone who abuses the system, abuses their children and caught in a cycle of generational poverty. I think it's the exception rather than the rule though.

I was also pretty offended. I was a single parent at 16. My daughter is 8 now and I think I'm an excellent parent. biggrin.gif I work and in a few days I will be a home owner. biggrin.gif My kids want for nothing.

Single parent doesn't = deadbeat. Teenage parent doesn't = deadbeat. sad.gif I really hate the stereotype. sad.gif

#8 Who is me

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

So offensive. And what was the focus on boyfriends all about?

#9 123tree

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

OMG I can't believe that drivel.

I am also astonished that the only way a woman can develop self esteem is to work so that she can be more discriminating about her boyfriends.  This astounds me for two reasons.

(1) As someone who has worked a lot in manufacturing which employs a lot of unskilled labour (and not all single mums are unskilled). I have seen people belittled by their managers, offered family destroying rotating shifts and minimum pay rates that I would find difficult to support a child on as a single person when before and after school care is taken into consideration.

(2) I feel good about myself in my life as my worth as a good mother, good friend, good global citizen, and competent in many areas of my personal life.  I am smart, strong and brave.  I cannot imagine where I got this idea from as a SAHM.

I must have missed this "cookie cutter" single mother cliche in my life as the only single mums i know are good mums and good women.

#10 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I just wanted to say that I do hope that this is not a source of angst to all the single mothers on this forum. I posted it to express surprise that anyone at all would think like this because I genuinely think that this must be a rarity. I hope you all know that most of the world (I hope) is in solidarity with you.

#11 Ianthe

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I wonder how many people living in relationships are purely on welfare because *warning anecdotal evidence ahead* in my volunteer work I see as many couples with dependent children as I do single mothers. I think having a working parent in a household is a good thing but this article singling single mothers out is infuriating.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

What an utter load of tripe.  The claim that there are all these single mothers bludging in front of daytime tv, gorging on junk while their latest boyfriend molests their children is the most vile thing I have read in a long time.  mad.gif

Edited by kadoodle, 16 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#13 purplekitty

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

This sent an extra shiver down my spine.
They worked so well in the past.

"Running institutions is a trouble for governments. The better course would be for the government to stop paying the single-parenting allowance to girls under 21 and fund non-government organisations to run hostels for girls who become pregnant and want to have their baby."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/...l#ixzz2I85c3SVO

#14 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

There was talk in another thread today about the 'deserving poor' vs the 'undeserving poor'.

In the 1970s, single mums were clearly seen as the undeserving poor and had their babies forcibly removed.

By the 1980s, welfare protections were brought in so that single mothers could keep and raise their children; there was this brief return to seeing unworking single mothers as the 'deserving poor'.

I'm sure someone more clever than me knows the answer to this (and I'm sure it has something to do with neoliberalism), but I'm not sure when and why unworking single mothers are again seen as the 'undeserving poor'. Is the important job of raising the children who will become citizens of our world insufficient?

#15 Lees75

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 16/01/2013, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanted to say that I do hope that this is not a source of angst to all the single mothers on this forum. I posted it to express surprise that anyone at all would think like this because I genuinely think that this must be a rarity. I hope you all know that most of the world (I hope) is in solidarity with you.

Thanks:). Unfortunately, I think that the majority actually can't distinguish between real life and the media-fueled stereotypes. We were talking about PPS/Newstart in the lunch room the other day and all the stereotypes came out (bunch of professionals). I interjected and the response I got was, "Oh, you're different, Lis, you aren't the typical single mum. You're our boss" I had to remind them that the three highest paid staff in our company are all single mums. Plus the admin manager. And no-one personally knew any "typical" single mums, but yet, unless challenged, read these type of articles and agree with them.

#16 purplekitty

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 16/01/2013, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure someone more clever than me knows the answer to this (and I'm sure it has something to do with neoliberalism), but I'm not sure when and why unworking single mothers are again seen as the 'undeserving poor'. Is the important job of raising the children who will become citizens of our world insufficient?
In Australia ,the election of a Labor Government in the 70's saw a change to the welfare system which continued with the election of Bob Hawke in the 80's.
I would say things went downhill again when John Howard came to power. I can still remember some of Jocelyn Newman's statements when she was Community Service Minister.

#17 Chelli

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

As the daughter of a teenage mother, I was completely offended by that article. How disgusting there was no mention of fathers or the fact that women are often left impoverished after the breakdown of a marriage.

I'd better leave it there, attitudes like that make my blood boil and I'd best not google what he thinks about Indigenous issues.

#18 StopTheGoats

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Oh my word sick.gif

#19 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I read it this morning, it is disgusting.

I am a single mum, and every single mum I know wants the absolute best for their children. I am sure the stereotype exists, somewhere! But not in my very wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

#20 StopTheGoats

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I can't comment on the journalists thoughts within EB's language guidelines. I will say something about his 'source' though. Pru Goward is the same person who without ANY strategy declared publicly that she could just cut 30% of the foster care budget a moment after entering office. And did so by cutting funding to respite foster care programs which have delivered tens of millions of dollars of value to the community at virtually no cost, which built valuable links inside local communities and which kept vulnerable families under strain together. Followed by huge cuts to permanent foster care program's which provide stability for children who may never have had any.
Forgive me if I ignore her thoughts on what is in the best interests of at risk children.

#21 patsd

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

My brain hurts from trying to substantiate the associations he made in that piece of rubbish "writing".

What a load of tripe.

I am a single mother. I work full time. I am buying my own property. I don't even watch evening-time TV, let alone day-time. I do enjoy the infrequent piece of junk food, but my children eat salad, regularly (do as I say, not as I do). I am confident that my children are as at "risk" from my choice of partner as anyone who is in receipt of government benefits.

#22 Chelli

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 16/01/2013, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure we all know someone who abuses the system, abuses their children and caught in a cycle of generational poverty. I think it's the exception rather than the rule though.

I was also pretty offended. I was a single parent at 16. My daughter is 8 now and I think I'm an excellent parent. biggrin.gif I work and in a few days I will be a home owner. biggrin.gif My kids want for nothing.

Single parent doesn't = deadbeat. Teenage parent doesn't = deadbeat. sad.gif I really hate the stereotype. sad.gif

I think this bears repeating. My mum has worked hard to own her own house, had no parental support as her father passed away and her mother had a MI, and no support of any kind whatsoever from her deadbeat ex. As a child I was unaware of societal perceptions of single mothers, but I can imagine it may have been as ignorant and biased as the attitude in the article depicts. I do know she was once turned down for a job because my sister and I were considered too young for her to be out of the home. I'm sure that probably still happens but employers wouldn't be allowed to say that to single mothers anymore.

#23 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Chelli @ 16/01/2013, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd best not google what he thinks about Indigenous issues.

I reached that conclusion too.

I am amazed that anyone with the most basic knowledge of history would suggest institutionalisation of anyone, much less an Emeritus Professor. This suggests that his view of history are unlikely to accord with mine.

#24 MaeGlyn

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

lol. A bit of a silly view about single mothers. What about silly mothers like my mother who never wanted to be single so took any abusive male she could to be her partner. If my mum actually chose to be a single mum and have some standards, I would have been much better off.

Sometimes being a single mum deserves a medal.

Edited by MaeGlyn, 16 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#25 StopTheGoats

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

MaeGlyn I feel the same way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.