4 week old very unsettled before BM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 B0612

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

My 4 week old DS in predominantly BF however requires a top up of formula in the late evening due to milk supply. The last few days he has become increasingly unsettled and uncomfortable when trying to open his bowels, the number of BM's have also decreased to 1-2 per day. His poo's are a yellow/mustard colour and a paste consistency. I have read that it can be common for newborns to become unsettled when trying to open bowels due to having to work out their digestive systems and that they can go days w/out having a BM however I am concerned that he is in pain. I have spoken to my mchn and rang a child health hotline nurse both of which said it is normal.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their newborns? I'm also wondering if it's the formula.

TIA

#2 Lilybeth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

My DD is showing the same signs and is breastfed exclusively. They do tend to be unsettled at this age - I think she gets wind quite a bit too.

#3 Loz07

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yep, my DD has always been a cranky pants at poop time, and she's 5 mo! All smiles after tho  original.gif
You can try cycling his legs, gentle tummy massage and warm baths if needed to help move things along.

#4 Goggie

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yep my DS is almost 5 months and I agree with the suggestions from Loz07. I also bought a naturopathic colic remedy from a pharmacy that aids digestion as well as a probiotic every night and I think it's improved. If you are in Victoria, look up William and Goldby pharmacy in boronia. You can order and pay over the phone and they express post it to wherever you are.

#5 lucky 2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi, this unsettled behaviour in the evenings is common newborn behaviour and to be expected, it peaks at around 6-8 weeks of age. Babies usually do well when given the breast as needed, this is helpful for milk supply as when the breasts are at their softest they are producing milk at their fastest.
Ideally formula is not introduced so the baby can continue to work with the breasts and receive milk and comfort, formula supplementation interferes with this normal bfing pattern and does make changes in the gut.
Would you consider not using any formula especially if your baby is thriving?
The link below discusses normal behaviour and breastfeeding.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/co...80%93baby/fussy
All the best.

#6 B0612

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have been giving DS a warm bath and also tummy massages and cycling legs along with taking his nappy off and generally after a good 20min or so he does open his bowels.

DS is also demand fed and put on the breast when required for comfort. I find in the late evening he will not settle without a top up, if I have EBM he is given that however sometimes formula is needed, I have discussed this with both my mchn and lc and a top up was suggested. I am putting him to the breast as much as he requires and expressing to boost my supply.

#7 porkchop's mama

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Bron, no advice but I'm in the same boat with my 2.5 week old.  He is always v unsettled when needing to open his bowels.  I'm mixed feeding as well.  The crying distresses me more than him, I suspect.

X

#8 B0612

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi porkchop's mama,

It definitely is distressing, I hate the thought that he is distressed and experiencing discomfort. I have tried to ditch the one top up he does get thinking it may be the formula but it just makes him more unsettled.

What formula are you using if you mind me asking? I am thinking of switching.

#9 porkchop's mama

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Bron, I'm using nan HA gold.  It was the one we used in hospital.

Today has been a shocker.  It's 40C plus outside and I've already topped up with 160 ml of formula.  I usually hang out until the evening at the earliest but bubs has been so distressed today. Outside of the usual bowel crying.  He was getting hoot and bothered with his crying and 4 solid hours on the breast didn't help him at all.....

#10 Red nut

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Our 4 weeker gets quite cranky at times too, usually in the evening,  and I kept trying to feed, mainly boob, but occasionally a bottle of formula. It can calm him, but I think we're figuring out he's actually overtired rather than hungry, and trying to take him for a walk in the sling instead, which seems to be a sure fire way of getting him off for a nap, and settling things down. Worth a try?

The crying is awful isn't it. Almost brings me to tears too, and you want to try anything to make it stop.

#11 CharliMarley

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Instead of expressing your milk, could you give it to the baby from the breast, as more feeding and more suckling of the breast, will make more milk and you won't possibly need top-ups. If you think he needs a top up at night, could you wait about 10minutes - 15 minutes and there will be breastmilk there again.

Your breasts work by demand and supply, so if you feed your baby every 2 hours around the clock, you will have more milk. It is not that you have a certain amount of milk for the day, it will be always there if your bubs demands it.

#12 Puppy Love

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I had / have the same problem & bub is 6 weeks & only breast fed. I found what I was eating didn't help ( lots of broccoli), so changed that. After I fed I rub his belly & this has helped a lot, usually a BM comes.It's always at night around 8pm he gets upset & it was always due to lower gas.Good luck.

#13 B0612

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

DS is breastfed generally every 2hrs, sometimes he will go a little longer maybe 2.5 hrs to 3hrs and sometimes less, he stays on the breast for a good 30min to 45min.

He is also becoming irregular with his poo's, has been 2 days now and tends to get upset when passing wind (which is also quite smelly).

I am putting him to the breast whenever I see his hunger signs and he is feeding 10plus times per day which I am happy to do. I am just wanting to make sure he is getting everything he needs. He always has wet nappies (generally changed before every feed so over 8 wet nappies per day) its just the pooing I am concerned about.

If he hasn't opened his bowels this weekend I will definitely be taking him to my gp.

#14 Fairey

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

DD is like this. She used to have a nappy pressie for me at every change, then changed to one daily. At around 3ish months, she didn't do one for over a week. We were told it was normal because she was receiving breast milk. She was crabby and unsettled before her BM that time too! She's now into a regular pattern of twice a week. She's always a tad unsettled that day and works really hard when doing her business. But she's smiles all around when she's finished original.gif
Perhaps your son's pattern is changing already?

#15 B0612

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hi Fairey,

Thanks for your reply.
When I spoke to my mchn she said it was normal and his gut is just maturing so I am hoping he does grow out of it as I don't like seeing him distressed.

It is reassuring to hear that it is something other babies and their parents experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.