Teaching kids "cute" words as opposed to the real word
Setting them up to be ridiculed?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Tilli+Macey

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I know a man who has an almost 3 yr old DS. I was just amazed at how many words he changed for his son. When DS eats something dad has got him to believe he is pecking it. He never says eat it all up, or what are you eating. It's pecking.
So here I am imagining this kid in school asking his friend "what are you pecking for lunch?"

Another one is for teeth. Everytime his hurt or he gets another one it's " are your pegs ok? Or are you getting more pegs?"

Then he goes to daycare once a week, but dad introduced it as school. So that's what he has always known. just makes me think that when he does finally go to school maybe it won't be so special for him?

So do you call things something different? Or do you think it will be damaging for the children when they are older?

#2 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

They learn the proper words eventually. I don't discourage when the kids say cute words even if they're incorrect, because it's such a short time. I don't see the big deal - and lots of people say "toothie pegs".

#3 Always amazed!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I call daycare school. Baby school and then kindergarten is big school.

My parents call my kids teeth toothie pegs.

I can't see a problem with it?

#4 Fr0g

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Our kids have 'hooves' rather than feet.

As long as genitalia have proper names, I can't see the potential for too much harm.

DS 11 and DD 7 have survived so far.

#5 désir d'amour

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

First incident is a bit weird.  2nd sounds like it's an old family/dad term that he's using with his own son.

And 3rd, eh, who cares.  What makes so school special anyway? You're stuck there for the next 12 years!

the kid will pick up the socially appropriate terms soon enough.

I thought this was going to be about genitals.  in that particular case, I was going to say that I can't see how they'd come up that often in conversation, so might as well teach them the real word!

#6 JECJEC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Think you are over thinking the school thing. The other things are just irritating.

#7 liveworkplay

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I get where you are coming from. As long as they know the correct word for things then I don't see too much of a problem. Personally I like my kids to call things what they are, but that's just me. That said, they do still have (and use) multiple names for things like bum, bot bot, tushie, deriere, bottom.

#8 Tilli+Macey

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Oh the amount of different names I've heard for genitalia.

But I guess you're right. I don't know, I guess it's just me. I feel funny saying things like that to DD and don't want Others to either. I do find it interesting though listening to other parents and their children and what they call things and sometimes wonder how they came up with it.

#9 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I am a huge fan of slang.  I am also a big one for nicknames.  I think it is just my love of language in general, and I love how colourful and descriptive slang can be.  

That said, I think it is important to also use the "proper" words for things too.

For example, I love that DS calls morning tea "smoko" thanks to his great-great-uncle.  It makes me smile because it reminds of the connection the two of them share, and the bond that has blossomed over watered down cups of tea and pieces of fruitcake.  But he also knows what "morning tea" is.  

So, I guess I am a fence-sitter.

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Is it patent teaching child or parent following child?

We have "red bread" fajitas, " baby cheese" baby belle cheese.

We have " normal Kindy" daycare and "new Kindy" 3/4yo kinder.

School is referred to as DS1s name school ( yes we did have a moment issue when DS2 was asked if he was going to St X school and he replied that he would be going to DS1 Name school.

As PP said so long as it is not for private parts I don't care.

DD currently insists ham is Bacon. I go with the flow.

#11 erindiv

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Pretty much everyone I know calls day care or kindy "school" to their kids.

I also say toothie pegs. I love any excuse to say toothie pegs. I wish DS would get some toothie pegs...

#12 CountryFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I got absolutely slated once when playing with a friend's toddler sister.  I was making animals out of playdough (bloody good ones too I don't mind saying so!) and was jumping the bunny around saying "Here comes Mr Bunny.." and other such Shakespearean sentencery..

In jumps Mum (friend's stepmother) with vicious glare: "Rabbit!  We don't use babytalk in this house!" then directed at child..  "It's a RABBIT darling, RABBIT!"

Never felt more humiliated in my life!  And as my friend said as we left - "It might well be a 'rabbit' but her Mum has never sat and played playdough with her in her life, I think she was enjoying the bunny myself!"

As for school.. all my teacher friends call daycare 'school' to their little ones - "I'm going to school, big brother's going to school and you are going to school.."  when they go to 'real' school they know the difference.

And 'pegs' - we called them toothypegs when I was a child too - so you could shorten that to 'pegs' or 'tooth'... didn't seem to hold my sister back from becoming a dental nurse!

We had a multitude of  made up/non standard words when I was growing up, hell I still do!  Where my Mum hails from they speak in a dialect, we used lots of those words (and still do, and teach them to others) as it made Mum feel less homesick, plus they were just really awesome word!

But it never seemed to hold me back verbally or with written language - in fact I would like to think that they are two of my strengths!

Specific vocabulary is how groups bind themselves together - if you have a 'family dialect' then it is just part of what binds your family together as a unit.

Viva diversity!  More words not less!

#13 katniss

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

We are talking to DS2 about going to school this year even tho it's day care. Mainly because DS1 goes to school and DS2 loves to be exactly like big brother so I'm hoping it'll ease him into day care easier. I'm sure he'll be just as excited going to proper school because it'll be at the same place as big brother!

Pecking is a bit weird but I think over time they progress to saying the right words.

Edited by katniss, 16 January 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#14 Cat People

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (Meplusmoo @ 16/01/2013, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then he goes to daycare once a week, but dad introduced it as school. So that's what he has always known. just makes me think that when he does finally go to school maybe it won't be so special for him?

What???? You are waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy over thinking things.

#15 BadCat

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

We enjoy playing with language.  We call all sorts of stuff by odd terms.  As long as you aren't stupid enough to let them go into the world thinking that they have pegs instead of teeth I don't see a problem.

If you never teach them the right words, or you actually tell them they're wrong when they do learn the right word from someone then your a moron.  But who would do that?

#16 FlamingoG

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

He's a pre-schooler, not a Rhodes Scholar. Has he taught him an alternative word for killjoy?

#17 Lolpigs

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Nothing wrong at all playing with language, you just have to make sure they know the difference when they are old enough, and not keep reinforcing the play word as the real one.

#18 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Daycare and Kindy have always been called Kindy, and my pet hate with babytalk is people teaching them Ta for thankyou.

I cannot stand it, "say Ta Jade" aaarrrrggg nooooooo!

I don't know why I hate it but I really really do.

#19 CountryFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (sparkler @ 16/01/2013, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daycare and Kindy have always been called Kindy

Not kindergarten?  Tut tut!

My mother could not abide the word 'kindy' - which was a bit difficult as she was a kindergarten/prep teacher!

It caused I would imagine a similar tooth squeaking reaction as 'Ta' does to you!

#20 Copacetic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Its far more annoying when adults do it when they're talking to other adults (ie, Bubs instead of baby etc).

#21 loubee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't have a problem with some silly names but I do hate it when kids mispronounce something as they can't say it properly and parents continue to repeat this to the child who in turn thinks they are saying it correctly.

Again possibly not the end of the world but I have a friend who has done this with each of her children and each of them had speech problems and subsequent therapy. No one could understand them until they were quite old which is a problem imo and the younger two still have problems.

#22 kiam

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Not "made up words" but there were many words that I didn't know in English until I started school. I never really hindered me. There are still names for things now that just don't sound right to me in English.

That said, I have to admit, the pecking one would make me cringe if I had to hear it often, it just makes me imagine a child repeatedly banging their face into a plate of food. It would take every ounce of willpower to not correct that one, solely because it would annoy me.

#23 erindiv

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 16/01/2013, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got absolutely slated once when playing with a friend's toddler sister.  I was making animals out of playdough (bloody good ones too I don't mind saying so!) and was jumping the bunny around saying "Here comes Mr Bunny.." and other such Shakespearean sentencery..

In jumps Mum (friend's stepmother) with vicious glare: "Rabbit!  We don't use babytalk in this house!" then directed at child..  "It's a RABBIT darling, RABBIT!"

ohmy.gif  Holy moly.

#24 B.feral3

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 16/01/2013, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our kids have 'hooves' rather than feet.

As long as genitalia have proper names, I can't see the potential for too much harm.

DS 11 and DD 7 have survived so far.

I agree. For me, I can't stand hearing parents and kids refer to a penis as a willy or a doodle/doodie and a vagina as a muffin/mini mini/wee wee/petal/mouse/jae jae etc.  sick.gif   rant.gif

Milk in this house on the other hand has been 'mook' for a long time. DS1 started it as a baby. It kind of stuck!!

#25 raven74

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I think many families have "pet" words.  Armpits have always been bodsalodels to us.  DD call em her 'lodels.
I don't see the issue apart from the fact that some terms can be twee and irritating when often repeated to the unititiated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.