At my wits ends with my 6.5yo DD

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 CCLady

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

It's like she needs to be reminded constantly what is expected of her.

This is my DS too (he's 6.5). Everything has to be explained over and over, he needs preparation for everything, he needs to know what is going to happen, he needs warning. "Shower is off in 3 minutes", "shower is off in one minute"... I wouldn't dream of going in and just saying "shower is over".  ffear.gif . He wouldn't cope well.

This is just one of our daily issues, we are hoping to get him tested this year with more access to support in the public school system (coming from catholic). I have worked SO HARD with him all year on my own for home life, he has improved so much but still melts down at least weekly.

Good luck OP, I would look into going back to the psych if you've had success in the past. We went last year and the one he saw was hopeless, had NO idea and 'blamed' me which is why i took a step back and worked with him myself...

#27 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I was hoping you were going to pop in BMJ. You word things so much more eloquently than I do. original.gif

#28 ChunkyChook

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the info. I have a Drs appointment in the morning for me but will mention it to him. Will check out the links BJM.

This is why I love EB, I can't get other peoples experiences and support from people IRL. that is from such a diverse amount of mums.  wub.gif

#29 ChunkyChook

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Dr doesn't think it is Aspergers but wrote a referral for the child psych again to find out his perspective. So will make an appointment for her.

#30 Kismama

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Glad your GP was happy to refer you OP.

I found my GP had some very outdated info/beliefs about Aspergers - she completely missed the signs in my then-3-year-old and used a little checklist to rub my face in my wrong-ness....  (Meanwhile DD was wigging out at my feet!!)

Turns out, GP was wrong... and things are SO much easier around here now that I know what I'm dealing with.

Regardless of your outcome, I hope you can get to the bottom of why your daughter struggles with these things. It's such a load off when you realise what needs to happen to prevent things escalating!

#31 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

My experience with my fabulous GP who I love was the same. Fact is, GP's are not qualified to diagnose (or not diagnose) things like Aspergers. That's why you need a good paed with a particular interest in ASD/Aspergers or a good Developmental paed. original.gif

Hopefully your psych has had some experience with ASD and can let you know if they see some red flags and think she does need the Dev Paed referral. Good luck. And feel free to pop into the SN board whenever you like. original.gif

#32 Ferelsmegz

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hi ChunkyChook,

Im with Karla on this one... your DD also reminds me of my DS who has Aspergers... he is 9 now and we have had heaps of different therapies/social skills groups etc with him and - whilst he still sometimes struggles - he is MUCH better now.

One of the things that helped is some social stories/strip stories that were written by his psych, they are about how to play with others, how to behave/act if someone doesnt want to play with you, why its ok to lose sometimes etc.. they were great for him and even if your DD is ASD they might help her understand.

I remember before his disagnoses a massive birthday party meltdown - he was 4 at the time.. therefore he had to have everything as 4 and when he didnt get the number 4 in a game he just couldnt handle it and started screaming and crying.... and in kindy he had a friend and to him she could only be his friend.... he went nuts if she spoke or played with anyone else...  sad.gif

Good luck with the Psych... a diagnoses (if that is the case) is NOT a bad thing... in fact for my DS is the best thing that could ever have happened to him... he gets so much help now and I 100% believe that without everything we have done for him he would be a completely different person today.   biggrin.gif

#33 baddmammajamma

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (ChunkyChook @ 18/01/2013, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dr doesn't think it is Aspergers but wrote a referral for the child psych again to find out his perspective. So will make an appointment for her.

As the others have said, GPs are not in the position to rule in or rule out something like Aspergers or other related issues. I'm glad to hear that your GP was willing to refer you on -- points to him for that!

My only other pieces of advice is to make sure that you are seeing a GOOD psychologist, hopefully one with a lot of experience with behavioral and developmental challenges in young girls. As with any profession, there are some awesome psychs out there & some duds. Make sure yours is the former and really listens to your concerns & connects well with your daughter. (If you need any specific recs, you know that the SNs Mum gang in Melbourne would be happy to comply original.gif ). And if I were you, I'd still be booking in with a good developmental paed, just to cover the bases.

I hope you are able to get some answers soon. Regardless of the underlying cause, it can be such a relief to figure out what's going on & develop steps to improve the situation. Good luck!!!!

#34 ChunkyChook

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Thanks BMJ. I am a couple of hours from Melbourne but would be happy to travel down to see someone good.

#35 khunella

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Being a 'spectrum' makes ASD is tough to diagnose. Normal kids sometimes show ASD symptoms and ASD kids sometimes act completely normally, which is why the diagnosis is so difficult and even a bit subjective. There are even kids who display only a single ASD behaviour eg. pronoun reversal, and no others at all! The other aspect of ASD I find really strange is that while its incidence has been steadily rising in the west, no-one knows whether this is because there's more of it around, or its just being measured better now. I read the other day that DSM (the manual of mental illness) is taking 'autism' and Asperger's Syndrome out and replacing them with ASD. It's certainly an evolving part of medicine! Thankfully there's so much more support now - can you imagine how hard it must have been 20 years ago, when the disorder was barely recognised?

Edited by khunella, 19 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.