Mirena and Mood

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Genabee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Over the last few months I have found myself feeling irritable, frustrated, moody and plain PO'd, often over small, insignificant things. I've been taking it out on DH and sometimes get really frustrated with DD, perhaps unnecessarily. I am having trouble articulating the things that are leading me to feel like this, which makes me think I am possibly going nuts.

I am trying to work out if it is some kind of depression, belated PND or perhaps the mirena?

I had the mirena put in 18 months ago, just after DD was born. Physically, I have had no complications or issues with it what so ever, and up until now, have thought it to be the best contraception yet!

But my mood is concerning me. I have not had much luck with the pill in the past - a few have affected my mood (caused depression) significantly, others I have had physical side effects from. Going back on it is really a last resort option for me.

I am interested to know if anyone else has had poor experiences with their mood, while being on the mirena. If so, was it an instant thing from the time of insertion, or was it gradual over time?

I had always put my fatigue, mood and irritability for the first few months post baby, down to slight PND/normal post birth hormones and the natural stressors of life (we've had a few this past 12 months). But now I am wondering if it was the mirena?

I have never had thoughts of self harm or of hurting my husband or daughter. Though I do have moments where I put her down and walk away, to have a breather before going back in to her. And I have been known to yell at her in frustration. sad.gif I generally don't feel 'down', just have periods of being angry.

I just want to feel like my normal self again. I'm not sure if taking the mirena out will help more than therapy or not. Another baby for us is not an option right now (or for the next three years minimum), so the anxiety of an accidental pregnancy is a big risk factor to consider....

I would be interested to hear your thoughts and words of wisdom. original.gif

#2 FreeRangeMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I have had pnd, and my psychiatrist recommended the Mirena to me as it is the least likely of the hormonal birth control options to be implicated in worsening depression.

I certainly haven't felt any changes in my mood since getting it nearly 2 years ago. I guess the only way to tell is to get it out?

#3 Genabee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Thanks FreerangeMum.

That was also what I was told about the Mirena - Apparently it has the least amount of hormone (secreted on a daily basis), compared with all hormonal contraceptives on the market.

I had originally asked for an old school copper IUD - one with no hormones, but they didn't want to give me one of those and I was assured that it was unlikely that I would experience any of the symptoms I had in the past on hormonal contraceptives...

I will be seeing my GP about it.

#4 mumto3princesses

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I had the mirena. I didn't have a mood problem as such but realised I wasn't myself. I realised didn't really like cuddles that much. I would still hug my girls but would have quite happily not hugged anyone. I also had problems with my anxiety getting worse. I did have an anxiety problem before the mirena but it got much worse. Weight gain, hair loss, not as much energy and I forget what else now.

I spoke to both my GP and my Gyno and they both said nope not mirena so I just carried on dealing with it all. Finally I got to the point where I spoke to my Gyno again and said I think the mirena is to blame. He agreed that there are rare cases where the mirena can cause problems with mood etc but its meant to be rare. I told him I wanted it out and if after a while I found it wasn't it then I would get another one put in.

About 24 hours later (or maybe a bit more) I realised I had been walking around for I don't know how long with a weird foggyness in my head. I only realised it I had it when the foggyness lifted. Energy returned soon after and then everything else slowly improved.

#5 No girls here

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I haven't noticed any difference in mood since being on the Mirena.

I have experienced significant weight gain though so I am wondering about getting it removed for that reason.

#6 lamarque

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi Genabee - I'm going to cut and paste some responses of mine from previous threads if you don't mind (I've expanded a few points in relation to your situation):

I had mine removed after 4.5 years in June last year.

I had no history of PND or mood swings etc but after the insertion of the Mirena things slowly started deteriorating for me.   I had many side effects, all of which are listed on the Bayer website - depression/mood swings, acne, cysts (ovarian and breast), headaches which eventually led to migraines, no libido and more recently unexplained hives.

I remember some days just wanting to stare at a wall. I didn't want to talk to anyone, be touched or engage in life.  It was bizarre.

I honestly felt like I was going nuts. The brain fog was awful too.  My GP thought my depression/mood swings, ovarian cysts, migraines, extreme breast tenderness were all due to hormone fluctuation (being over 35).

I'm happy to say I'm much better now and improved not long after it was taken out.  

Do yourself a favour and listen to your own body.  You know what you're normally like and if things have shifted since its insertion, I'd be making alternative contraception plans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.