#2 Just-one-more

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'll claim gold!

I'm still ticking along original.gif

#3 AliGeo

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Silver!!

Finally a bit of time for personals.

Muggins_00 - Congratulations on your second set of twins! At least you'll be prepared for double everything again. I doubt we'll go again, purely cos I'd be too scared that we'd get twins again.

Tucky - So glad to hear that Grace and Archie are doing well and that they are closer together for you. You've been so brave throughout this all especially with kids at home too. They look so big and grown up from the first photos! Have they given you an indication of when you might be able to takes them home?

NicNic85 - All that hospital time must be hard, but keep them in there as long as you can, it's worth it in the end.

dede79 - How are you going? Home yet? Can't wait to see a pic!

Just-one-more - Good to hear that you're just ticking along. Boring is good I reckon. Have you had your growth scan yet?

MJCplus1 - How are you going? Hope that you're just resting and still cooking those babies? I thankfully didn't have anything like that to worry about so I'm no help sorry.

Alxeen - I went to a wedding like that when I was about 22 weeks. Limited food and seat was hard for me as well. I also vowed not to go anywhere after that, but life never goes to plan, and we ended up doing heaps of stuff far from home. I was lucky nothing happened. Make the most of the nesting while you can!

AFM - Since I last posted things went a bit pear-shaped with Isis and her feeding. Long story short, she's still very little and breastfeeding was using up more energy than she had. She stopped feeding on Monday and after losing weight had to head back to the hospital. Thankfully we didn't have to stay but we had to come up with a new plan for her. So as it stands at the moment Isis is bottle feeding EBM and being topped up with formula. She's just gained her birth weight back at two weeks old but her weigh gain is very slow so we're keeping an eye on her.

Rhett on the other hand is gaining weight like crazy and going great guns. It's amazing how much difference only 400g can make between the two babies and how they go in feeding.

Other than than Isis feeding issues, things are slowly settling into place at home. Thankfully they both sleep well overnight and we even get 4-5 hour stretches sometimes.   Joined: 17-January 04   From: Melbourne   New Member Hi

#4 Just-one-more

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

My scan last week got cancelled due to gastro going through the radiology place so non essential scans got cancelled.
I'll have my scan next Friday now.
I went into hospital Monday with pre labor and got put on the ctg and I'm pretty sure that caused twin 1 to go breech sad.gif I'm hoping he turns back asap. All was fine with the pains though no change to cervix and fetal fibronectin test was negative.
Sorry to hear your little girl is struggling with feeding. They do tire so easily! Hope she keeps gaining well now

#5 Jo-Anna

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

HI everyone! Just wondering how you are all going? It has been a bit quiet in here lately.
I am coming up to 25 weeks and starting to get a bit uncomfortable. For those of you who are further along than me with other children, I am wondering how you are coping? I am really nervous about the weeks from 30 onwards and how I will look after DS. Do you have any tips or advice?
He is a big boy for his age (as in 15 kgs) and I really can't lift him anymore. I have moved him into a big bed and starting to teach him how to climb in the car by himself. Is there any thing else I should be doing now before I get too big?
I guess i have been a bit in denial until recently and have only just started to face the reality of what's ahead. We picked up some basinets and a mountain buggy duet with a buggy board today which is still sitting in my lounge room in boxes.
I guess I am really just after some of your experiences of the later parts of the twin pregnancy and what I should be preparing myself for.
I hope that the quiet is just from lots of busy mums and mums to be!

#6 reesan

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

I don't have other children, but it will be 33 weeks for me at the weekend and I have definitely reached the stage of wanting to cry at least once a day and often more.

The doctors said plan not to be able to do much after 28 weeks but I would say over the last couple that has really kicked in for me, and the afternoons, evenings and nights are usually the worst!

It's all sounding a bit grim but I booked my csection last Friday, it's at 37 weeks 3 days and that just seems impossibly far away. Once I hit 34 weeks
(safe enough for bubs who are both above average size) I am going to start thinking premature labour thoughts.

#7 Alxeen

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Jo-Anna I have a child at home but she's 10, so well past the physical demands of a toddler. I think the answer, asides from having a lie down in your DS's nap time, is occasional care/helpful parents/ILs so that he's out of your hair, ideally for one to two hours a day. I know that can be tough, but if you consider life with newborn twins you will be needing that kind of assistance anyway, so better to get him used to it now. Sounds like what you've done with him so far is great, but third trimester it's really just rest, rest and more rest that you need everyday.

Speaking of rest (or lackthereof) school holidays are exhausting! It's been really great, and so much fun having DD at home with me, and even though she plays great by herself, I do find myself just wanting to do things with her, have her friends over etc. I try to structure the day so I get at least one lie down a day. I'm also finding it a bit hard to sleep in this heat! And yes, the BIG feeling has set in finally laugh.gif I am now bigger than I was at 42 weeks with DD.

We've had an eventful week - first a trip to emergency for me with a very small bleed. All is perfectly fine though and I've had no bleeding since. Then DH had someone rear end him while driving home, so that was another trip to emergency to treat suspected whiplash. Thankfully he's fine but the car is a 50/50 write off and we need to decide whether to repair it or not. It's mainly just a hassle because our capsules will not fit in the back of my little hatch, and without the station wagon we only have that one car. The timing, to say the least, is pretty terrible! I am getting rather anxious we will actually have no car in which to install capsules and take our babies home from hospital in! Oh, and to top things off the other guy is completely at fault and is not insured at all, so who knows how much hassle it will be getting the money out of him?

Thankfully all going well pregnancy wise, although I am getting VERY regular, but painless B-H contractions. There is a noticeable slow down when I reduce my activity though, so it's pretty clear I need to basically not do much at all from now until birth! Friends/family (and everyone except DH) seem to be having trouble understanding that though rolleyes.gif

Hmmmm....well this was quite the complain post! Hope to update with some good news next week. I have a growth scan next week so fingers crossed that's all good.

#8 HairyMaclary

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I thought I'd pop in and introduce myself.  Still getting my head around the fact that I belong in this group even though we found out about the twins just before Christmas!

I'm having monochorionic diamniotic twins.  As you can see from my sig, I already have a 6 year old and a 4 year old.  Fortunately the oldest one is already at school and the youngest does kindy 3 days a week, so I won't have 4 at home all the time.  I'm going to keep working 2 days a week until I'm 26 weeks if all goes well, but I'm already counting down until maternity leave.  

Saw the Ob today for the first of many scans.  Not only am I having twins, but my cervix was a bit dodgy during my first pregnancy (needed a stitch at 22 weeks and spent awhile on bedrest).  So it will be fortnightly scans for the next little while.  Our Ob is fantastic and is organising a shared care arrangement with a large public hospital, so we'll have the scans there and he'll do everything else.  But because we live outside of their catchment it is proving to be a bit complicated to organise (although they have acknowledged that our local public hospital isn't able to care for me so I'd have to go to there anyway  rolleyes.gif ).  I thought we were making things easier by going private!

Look forward to getting to know you and sharing this exciting (and scary!) journey with you all.

Edited by HairyMaclary, 30 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#9 Alxeen

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

HairyMaclary  Yay, another one!  ddance.gif I was starting to think there were no more multiples being conceived! Welcome and congrats on the twins original.gif It's a very daunting thing at first, but there's great support here and through AMBA as well.

#10 Jo-Anna

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Welcome Hairy Maclary!
We all know how you feel, it's a big thing to get your head around, in fact I am still trying now! I had to do the public hospital shuffle too when we found out about the twins, but am glad to report that I am settled in my hospital system now with what seems to be a lovely OB.

AFM everything is moving along nicely. I am measuring 31 weeks, so 5 weeks ahead which I think is pretty normal. OB is happy to plan for a natural vaginal delivery. He did say that they usually induce at 37 weeks. I thought 38 weeks was more standard so I will see how we go.  Has anyone else got an end date in sight?

I am also feeling so much better now DS is back into a good napping routine and I am getting some rest. I feel much more able to deal with the aches and pains when I have had some decent sleep!
Just-one-more I hope that twin 1 turns back for you soon
Alxeen, what a pain about the car accident! Lucky you weren't in the car too! All the best for your growth scan, fingers crossed for some nice big bubbas in there.
It's so quite around here, I think we need to go recruiting, I am sure I have seen some more signatures with twins in them lately!

#11 think~positive

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi ladies,

I hope you don't mind me joining the group. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with Identical twins. I already have a son who turns 3 next month. I decided to elect a c section this time and it is booked for 20th March. Not too far off. I am finding everything really hard now days and struggle at the best of times. My savior is my son still  has an afternoon nap so I try to rest then too. Is it common to feel exhausted, huge, uncomfortable and just over it in the 3rd trimester?

Cheers, Linda xx

#12 reesan

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I just had my 34 week scan, Kate est weight 2kg and Holly 2.4 though the obstetrician thinks they are actually closer together in size and both probably around 2.3kg mark.

So good healthy weights, doing well and no reason to bring the c section date forward. I do not see how it is humanly possible to keep struggling along for more than 3.5 weeks from here on out so just feeling really hopeful that labor will start anytime from here on out.

The ob confirmed though they won't do anything to help them come sooner they are happy for them to come any time from now and won't try to stop a labor that starts.

We had the eectrician in yesterday finally and the blockout blinds installed and I took mum to a community mental health clinic to get her connected to some one on one in home support on Weddesday, so things I think are in an adequate place now for the babies to come.

People keep saying be careful what you wish for, and enjoy this time now, but it is way too hard and uncomfortable to enjoy anything now, and the hard work once they get here is inevitable so it may as well as be sooner rather than later!

Alex, how are you going on the car decision front? Such bad timing for it to happen, so I really hope you end up with something you are happy with, and quickly. I actually made it to the NIMBA expecting mutiples night this week after missing the one last November and it was so useful and informative - I really struggled to be up and conscious that late at night but so glad I got to make it!

I've decided not to use the twin breast feeding pillow I bought and instead get a custom one made from clark rubber which seems to be what most of the AMBA people do, I just wish I'd done it early so I could get measured when I was small! Anyone else doing this?

#13 dede79

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

OMG I've been wanting to come on here and write and put pics forever. Been busy and lazy I guess. 

Sorry for the lack of personal messages, I wouldn't know where to start after so long... Hope all those of you still pregnant are doing ok and not too uncomfortable. And those with babies, hope it's going as smooth as can be for you. Welcome to newbies too!!

As for us, things are going well. Amélie and Oscar are now 3.5 weeks old and are sleeping and eating quite well. Breastfeeding is going well so far (haven't needed to comp feed with formula) and I'm getting pretty good at twin feeding. I was really scared of how I would put then both on the boob on my own but it's quite easy really.  

They're putting weight well (both over 3kg now but the gap is getting bigger as Amélie is putting more on and faster). 

My DH never really took time off but tries to have 2 days off each week (usually this time of the year is 7 days a week) and to do shorter days when possible. His family have also been great at coming over to help, bring food, etc. The hardest thing I find is keeping my 3.5 years old happy and occupied. 

The twins are still on their 4 hourly feed schedule (from SCN) but starting to want feeds a bit closer too. They sleep ok but are REALLY noisy (grunting, moaning, snorting all night), not sure how long they'll last in our room. 

Ok, here are links to a few photos. Nothing really recent, some of the birth or at the hospital. 

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/32442955@N05/8394635543/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/32442955@N05/8428447285/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/32442955@N05/8394600865/

#14 Alxeen

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Well well we are a quiet bunch!

Dede Thanks for the photos! Gorgeous  wub.gif Can't believe you got a photo of one kissing the other, that is so cute! I think twin photos are very special in that way  hheart.gif how are you finding everything? Tiredness ok? Recovery ok? I can only imagine having an energetic pre-schooler at home would make things much more challenging for you, but brilliant to hear that family have been supportive. Sounds like you've had great success with the feeding! I can only hope that when the time comes I'll be able to manage as well as you.

Reesan Well sounds like you are pretty ready to meet those babies! Can't say I feel the same myself, there are still loads of things I want to do, however something tells me I'll be making it close to, if not right on 38 weeks. Call it an instinct! I tink it's pretty easy to hit a wall in the later stages of a multiple pregnancy, but just try to tell yourself as each week passes that's less time in nursery, more time rooming in with you, less chance of needing breathing assistance, better chance of coming home with you, and a better developed suck reflex. Is you c/s scheduled for 37 weeks?

think~positive Congratulations on your twins and welcome! You're third trimester just like the rest of us struggling Mummies! I think we're all very uncomfortable, exhausted etc. wink.gif

AFM My good news is that we got a car, exactly the same as our old one but an upgrade as its five years newer and much less k's. DH and I are both so relieved to have that sorted as it was really getting to us. The babies room is finally coming together, and I am really enjoying my days at home by myself...I think a little too much! I've become a bit anti-social and not really keen on catching up with friends  huh.gif  (unusual for me) but I think my mind is just trying to focus on growing babies and preparing myself for what's to come. I'm also getting a little over everyone saying "LOOK AT YOU, YOU'RE huge!" I'm like, yes I know, there are two babies in there almost ready to be born....get lost. It's making me feel like a bit of a walking freak show. Is it so hard to say "It can't be easy being so heavily pregnant but you look great and are doing so well"??? Thankfully my DH says this to me all the time, so I tune the others out as much as I can.

#15 HairyMaclary

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Alxeen - I get those comments too and I'm only 17 weeks!  But then someone else will tell me how tiny my bump looks and that they were bigger than this with just one baby.  Can't win!

AFM - Things seem to be going well.  I was very, very uncomfortable on Wednesday, everything felt tight and sore.  I ended up going in to see my Ob on Thursday morning since I have a history of having a dodgy cervix and just wanted to make sure everything was ok.  He took ages doing the scan so I started getting worried, but then he said he was just having trouble seeing my cervix because the bigger I get the harder it is to see.  I'd only seen him on Monday and he had no trouble, so I must have grown a lot in 3 days!  I guess that would account for the discomfort.

Anyway, he thought it all looked fine but sent us to the ultrasound place just to be sure.  $200 later they confirmed that everything was ok  wacko.gif   It was worth it though for peace of mind.  Plus while we were there the sonographer (who was absolutely lovely) offered to have a look to see if she could tell the genders.  One had their legs crossed but she said the other one looks like a girl  wub.gif  Since they are most likely identical, it looks like we might be having 2 girls.  Until it's confirmed by at least 1 or 2 more scans we won't be buying pink just yet or telling our families.  Everyone is desperate for some girls in the family and I don't think they'd handle the disappointment if it was wrong.  Of course we'll love them just as much either way!

#16 MJCplus1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi everyone :-) 34 weeks here and so ready for my babies to come. At my last hospital appointment the doc booked me in for a c section at 38 weeks. I was upset at this as I've been told all along 37 is when it will happen - I know it's only one more week but times already going so slow and I'm so uncomfortable, never get any more than 3 hours sleep a night, feel like I'm neglecting my 19 month old as I can't do much with or for him. I can't leave the house as 5 mins walking puts me in too much pain etc etc the list goes on. I'm sick of hearing the oh it's best for babies to stay in as long as they can from everyone. Yes I do understand that and I would never put their health in jepordy but still aaarrrggghhh. It's just dragging out so much and I'm not sure how much more I can take. Sorry to whinge so much :-(
My hopes for a natural birth are also fading as my two are always traverse at my fortnightly scans and show no signs of moving. My DP wasn't around for the birth of our son and I really wanted him to go through the experience with me. I'm also terrified of epidural as I already have back problems and never had any surgery whatsoever in my life! I'm sick of getting foreign barely speaking English OBs at my local hospital a I feel you can't discuss with them things as the language barrier is too frustrating to deal with.
I also get the oh not long now or you must be about ready to pop comments - can be very annoying. Then after my response of no 4 weeks left you see their faces go oh ur huge until I say it's twins then you get the oh poor you face and the oh you'll have your hands full or good luck with that one comments. Not sure where the negativity of having multiples comes from - I feel blessed to be having 2 more babies.

Welcome think positive :-) dede your babies are beautiful I hope all is well Hairymclary yeah we were paying in excess of $200 per scan in the beggining and as much as that sucks nothing beats the reassurance that comes with the scans. Reesan how are you doing? I have my 34 week scan next week so I'm interested in the babies estimated weights - last time they were at 4pd little man and 4.8pd little girl - love to see the weights going up each fortnight.
I'm sure I've missed people sorry - I hope you are all coping well and growing healthy Bubs. Look forward to more posts on how everyone is doing and the new arrivals as they come. :-)

All the best - Mandy xx

#17 Jo-Anna

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

MJCplus1 I am only 29 weeks but completely understand what you are saying. People ask me when I am due and I say May and they look at me like I'm mad. Then I have to explain that it's twins and I get the whole 'poor you' looks and the 'oh my you will have you hands full', followed my the tirade of questions. I think I might just start lying so I don't have to go into it.
Hairy Mclairy 2 little identical girls! How lovely, that would be my dream. I don't know the sexes but I am getting boy/boy feelings.
Alxeen that is a much nicer way that your DH puts it. A pat on the back and encouragement goes a lot further than strangers gorking at you like a freak show. I like to give myself a little pat on the back for just getting this far without having a nervous breakdown.
Dede your babies are absolutely gorgeous and made me all mushy inside. I hope you are enjoying your time settling in at home.
AFM Not much new here, just counting down the days and praying this hot weather streak we are having will end soon. I had the horrible GTT test last week together with a big bunch of other blood test. I will get the results next Tuesday, so fingers crossed for an ok result. I have a sizing scan at the hospital tomorrow which I am looking forward to. Will be interesting to see their size/position as well as just getting to say hello again. I have heard the wait time there can be crazy long, so mum is watching DS and is having him overnight. To say I am excited is an understatement! I think I will just lay on the couch and sleep for about 14 hours.
Anyway, hope everyone is travelling well.

#18 reesan

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I am still here, following the if nothing nice to say then say nothing adage I think! Lovely to hear my internal sentiments echoed though MCJPlus1, I am using all my energy not to say horrible things back to well wishers offering sentiments of better in than out and not long now etc.

Although I'm more positive today. Now that there is one more week and we have a cool change (thank god) in Melbourne it's all feeling a little more survivable.

Had a scan on Friday where all was well (much to my dismay - just looking for a small enough problem to justify getting them out) and weights were 2.4kg and 2.7kg (that was 35 weeks 5 days)

Best wishes to all!

#19 MJCplus1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

So quiet in here lol my 34+2 week scan showed as predicted babies still traverse and showing no signs of budging lol approx weights girl 5pd 10oz and boy 4pd 12oz so should be decent sizes if they stay in until my 38 week c-section. Fundal height is at 45cms so I really don't want to know how much bigger it can get!! Stretch marks are starting to appear :-(

How's everyone doing??

I'm so tired my 19 month old has not been sleeping well or having long naps during the day so no rest for me lol atleast he is happy 99% of the time. He is a good boy xx

#20 jess1980

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Just thought I would give you all an update on how life is with my twins! My boys are now 2 weeks shy of 6 months and I made it! The last 3 months have been awesome! the boys are in a great routine of 4 feeds per day approx 4hrly they go down around 630-730 everynight and sleep through until I wake them around 7am. My two daughters are at school at different campuses so the school run is hectic, my twin pram gets a workout and one of the clips on each side has already broken but I contacted steelcraft and they are sending me replacement parts free of charge thank god! I do manage to get to the gym on weekdays I go straight  there after school drop offs and Im also playing basketball. We dont get alot of couple time or me time at the moment having 4 kids its hard to get a babysitter I think people are really daunted by the fact we have twins but in all honesty at the moment they are easier to look after than the girls who are 5 & 3! but Im sure that time will come eventually! The best advice I can give you girls is get into a routine with your babies from the get go, get them on the same routine when you feed one feed the other or straight after each other. Also join your local multiples group they are in valuable when I had my breakdown at 6 weeks they were awesome in supporting me and getting me through it. Also go to bed early! I started going to bed at 730ish straight after the boys feed and it saved my life I started to feel normal again. Anyways good luck everyone twins are great I wouldnt change it for the world original.gif

#21 emso

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hey ladies! Long time no post. Im currently 34+4 with my id twins. Due to slowed growth we have a c-section booked for tuesday.  i thought i was doing okay, keeping positive. My ob told me to expect the boys to be in hospital for 7-10 days, but after having my second steroid shot today we went and saw the scn and spoke to the nurse, she then basically burst all my positive thoughts and said to expect theyd be in until 40 weeks. I was prepared for 2 weeks but now she said that i have felt very emotional and overwhelmed by the whole prospect now.  ive had differeing information from everybody, i dont know who to believe and i feel like my boys will have a huge struggle and ill have to go to the hospital for weeks just to be able to see them.

Sorry for the vent. Figured you ladies would understand.

#22 T2Mum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Emso - good luck for tomorrow. I had my ID twin boys at 36 weeks and both babies were fine, didn't need special care and left hospital when I did (they were 2.6kgs each when born). Each set of twins is very different and you never really know how they will go until they come out. Hopefully things will go really well for you and your babies will be home with you really soon. I know it is hard but I think hope for the best, prepare for the worst and then hopefully you are pleasantly surprised with how things turn out. Getting to 35 weeks with ID twins is an awesome effort!!!

#23 emso

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Quick update 34+6 gestation.

Oscar Charles arrived 3:42pm, 2.5kg, 46cm long.
Cooper Wentworth arrived 3:43pm, 2.4kg, 47cm long.

Both babies in scn for warmth. Good breathing, oscar is on some oxygen.  both babies weighed more than expected, will know more tomorrow.

#24 MJCplus1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Congratulations Emso!! Great weights and I hope they are both still doing well! I can't wait to meet my two!! 3 weeks max! Being it on.

Hello to everyone else hope your all hanging in there :-)

#25 reesan

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hello! I've had my babies. I haven't had a chance to read anyone's anything, but Holly and Kate are here, born thursday night by c section 45 mins after I found out I was in labour. was 3cm dilated, probably had been in labor since i was up in pain at 4am, but I was so used to pain... went to hospital at 6pm when I was disappointed labor hadn't started and just wanted to check everything was ok - knew they would be sending me home so we didn't take hospital bag, camera or anything..

2 hours later i was vaginally examined and at 851 and 8:52 Kate was born, 2.5kg and Holly 2.6

Hospital was mostly awful with so many things going badly I won't list a single one - was so surprised after the excellent prenatal care i had at royal women's.

We fought hard to leave sunday - they wanted us out and yet it was still a fight to get out. so bizarre.

we've been home since then and by last night at 10pm i was only up to 14 hours sleep since the birth. I had been in a very bad way for days and finally that morning organized a night nanny specialising in twins to come.

She was amazing and i got nearly 7 hours sleep which has turned my world around. She is coming again tonight and saturday night but this time both for twelve whole hours. It is costing us a lot of money but we are desperate people right now.

The upside to all this is that my baby girls are unbelievably beautiful and amazing and so wonderful.

No other updates for now and it will probably take me another week or so to get back to the forum, which sucks because i want to post photos and I want to know what is happening with everyone, but I must just do what I can for now.

So see you all soon and i hope you are all going great!

PS my babies are so amazing. The pregnancy was the worst thing ever, and these girls are the best thing ever* *though it is temporarily as difficult as it is joyous

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.