Due in April 2013 Chat Thread #6

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 butterflyme

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Oh FingersCrossed!! You are a crazy lady!  I hope you have a sit-down kind of job??

Spottyladybug – I have no idea how I’m still teaching either!! Haha  I am primary though – not sure if that’s better or worse than secondary?  I currently have a Prep-1-2 composite.   Although I work at a teeny weeny little school that  sh*te me to tears most of the time, they’ve been really good ‘looking after’ me this term.  The  sheets Mum & I were making were from an old unused single bed flat sheet she found in the back of the linen cupboard, same logic as you – cheap & it will only get spewed over!   I did end up making a 'tummy time pillow' last monday I was pretty please with my efforts!

I saw my OB last week – he still couldn’t/wouldn’t give me a size indication of bub “too early” – WTH?  But is sending me off for an ultrasound to check on my ovarian cyst (that I had somewhat forgotten about) & growth – hopefully I’ll get a size indication from that!  Couldn’t book in until after Easter though.  He also told me all about this thing called an Epi-No – omg, I’m so naïve!  I politely declined purchasing & using it - talk about mortified!  No one that I know who has had a baby in say the past 5 years has mentioned this thing, so I don’t know if their obs told them about it, or if they like me, were mortified at the thought (although I’m telling anyone who will listen abuot it!)

I've come down with a horrible head cold/ now regular cold so have called my Principal yesterday ( this is the 3rd time since being pregnant ive had a sick day).  It's awful not being able to dose up on a concoction of medication!!    

DH  installed both the car seats this weekend and we had our final antenatal class, also have packed my bags and they're sitting in our bedroom - should put them in the car 'just in case'.

Possibly TMI ahead: but I think I'm starting to lose my mucus plug... i think... it's only been a little bit (no bigger than a finger nail size blob) and not every day... hmmmmm....

Congratulations on the early arrival of your little one Katza!!

#52 spottyladybug

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hello ladies.
I am feeling like the countdown is really on, seems like my nesting instinct is kicking in. I am normally fairly relaxed about getting housework done, but got so much done today,. I now have a clean toilet (including  the walls!), a tidy laundry (still a few minutes of organisingnto do), a fairly empty laundry hamper and the dishes all caught up on from visitors! Hoping I can get heaps done tomorrow so my house is uber tidy by Thursday when my parents are coming back to visit/help out.

Butterflyme, how is the cold going? Hoping it is all over now for you.

The Dr I saw iI saw at the clinic informed me my bub is going to be a fair size, and then iinformed me that its not like I am a tiny person!  As if I didn't already feel like a giant beached whale :-P

DH is out playing cards with his mates tonight so I am enjoying being able to watch embarassing bodies without him going 'ewwwwww  gross! '

Hope you are all having a good night :-)

#53 PattyPW

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hello,

Just found this thread. I am due on April 28th. Look forward to chatting with you all.

Will be my second, and a girl this time. Already have my 2 year old little boy.

I have been in nesting mode buying all my last minute baby items. I've gone mad on ebay and gumtree. Love finding bargains! And easier doing it all online. I can't do much window shopping with 2 year old.

I'm in Perth, South of Rockingham if the are any other locals out there original.gif

#54 butterflyme

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hello & Welcome Patty!

I hope everyone is feeling well.

I'm feeling a little lost today and it's only my 2nd official day of maternity leave!  Yesterday I had appointment after appointment & spent the in between time at the shops.  

I'm feeling kinda 'blah' about the lack of anything from my 'friends' - the last I heard from most of them was at my baby shower 6.5 weeks ago!! I didn't hear anything with finishing up work (no, enjoy, put your feet up etc etc), any invite to 'catch up' now I'm free as a bird (from the already mums)... I know it's me & the hormones, but still sad.gif .  I'm sick of the one sided friendships (or that's how I feel about it anyway!), and that's from the already mums.

Anyway... I need to get together a final list of purchases I need to make.  I keep thinking of things, then forgetting to write them down & can't for the life of me remember!    

Are any of you sleeping bubs in a bassinet prior to the cot?   If so, what bedding do you have?  I have fitted sheets, but need some flats to be able to tuck him in?  And cot blankets are too big, so did you double it over - or did you find a smaller bassinet size ones?     Did anyone (non FTM) use "sleeping bags" from newborn?   Sorry lots of qts this morning!

I received my hired TENS machine yesterday - so we tested it out.  It's a strangely pleasant sensation!!   I didn't have it set very high (apparently it will go to level 60, i had it on 10!), but I sure hope it helps with the pain.

Good luck to those due in the next few days/weeks if you're still about & reading!!

#55 pinkcharlibelle

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

butterflyme-thats awful in regards to your friends sad.gif although I am getting more support/friendship from those I wasnt that close to than I am from the best friend :/ So I kinda know how you feel. Havent seen my sister since the baby shower 6 weeks ago and not likely to see her before baby comes either.  

I am using a bassinet, i have matress protectors, fitted and flat sheets plus bassinet blankets-target sell them original.gif

I used the sleeping bags with arms in them (not grobag style) with DD1 as it got to minus degrees where we lived and we used them from a few weeks old until she was 3!

#56 DScully

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi Patty! I totally understand the urge to buy stuff. If anyone is interested - Target has 20% off baby clothes and manchester at the moment.

Butterflyme - sorry you are feeling blah sad.gif I haven't heard much from work or friends, any catching up with friends has been initiated by me.

Pinkcharlibelle - do you recommend the sleeping bags with the arms regardless of weather? I'm a FTM so have no idea!

Hope all the other April mums are well...

#57 butterflyme

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Thanks girls - I know i'm being 'precious' about the friends lack of contact atm, but it just really got to me the other day.   95% of the time i'm the initiator of catch ups & I am just feeling like it's their turn to make the effort with me -  I'm 37 weeks pregnant for heaven's sake!    And it doesn't help that my mum is o/s so I would usually spend time with her, either shopping for bubby stuff / lunching etc so woe is me!

I had another ultrasound yesterday to check on my ovarian cyst (which hasn't grown at all - yay!) and have a peek at the bub.  OMG the photos the sonographer printed don't do justice to what I saw on the screen - it was amazing!   I can;t stop looking at the photos.

I asked if she could estimate size - part of me wanted to know, the other part didn't... she could & did.  She said that currently bubs was weighing in at 6pd 12oz with an anticipated 1pnd increase over the next 3 weeks.... EEEEEK!!   So a little bigger than I had anticipated based on my & DH birth weight. I'm not very big to start with (everyone tells me I'm all baby - it looks like I've swallowed a medicine ball, and my boobs are a bit bigger, but that's about it), but dh is tall.   I was at the hairdresser yesterday & another client there said 'oh you will have time to get your roots done once more before bubs comes -you've got another 5/6weeks to go?' to which I replied 'um no, i'm due in 3 weeks!!'   I think I will file an eviction order next week for 38.5/39 weeks.

Pinkcharlie - thanks for that.  I popped into my local Target yesterday (it's a small one) but they didn't have any 'bassinet' size anything! Will have to head further afield.  I've bought some gro bag style sleeping bags 6mth + sizes, but was given a 'newborn' size one (without arms) but not sure if I should exchange it for a bigger size or not!   I don't have any with arms in.... Dilemmas!

DScully - I'm terrible with buying things.  I was in kmart yesterday too & bought a couple of 'nursing' tops (as with this cooler weather my maternity tank tops are not quite cutting it!), baby bath etc...  No shops for me today!

Enjoy ladies

#58 spottyladybug

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

8 days! Juniors room is now empty of all the stuff that should not be in there, just can't move in the living room :-P My folks are coming up tomorrow, with Mum staying for a few weeks to help me out as DH is pretty busy with his job. Just setting up the spare mattresses.

Feeling really good excluding the discomfort, and even shop attendents are commenting on my roundness (in a good way).

Hope you are all having lots of fun nesting and shopping.

:-D

#59 Pocket79

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi ladies! It has been ages since I posted on here but now I've been on mat leave for a couple of weeks and I feel like I've done everything I need to do so I finally have a bit of time!

It sounds like you are all getting very excited- me too! Although tbh today I am feeling a little bit low. I think partly because I didnt sleep well last night and because I am just so ready for this baby to come and sick of waiting. This will be my second, I'm due on Friday 12th so I feel like it should come before then and I just want it to hurry up!! I went for a big walk before but nothing... just a couple of BH contractions. I really want things to happen!

Meanwhile (sorry, huge whinge on the way)... my MIL has been staying with us all weekend and after I thought she'd left she called my DH and asked if it was ok to stay another couple of nights!! Its not that I don't like having her around but I just need my own space at the moment. Plus, a few weeks back she told us that she was planning on coming to stay before my due date to wait for baby. I couldn't think of anything worse- I just want to enjoy the last few weeks with my son while he is an only child, to relax and have naps while he naps and generally nest and get the house ready. When MIL is around she leaves her stuff everywhere and doesn't really help out around the house, just sits around doing crosswords so I don't feel like I can relax like I need to! Anyway, after she told DH her plans a few weeks back he asked her not to come and stay before my due date and wait for baby- he said we will call her when I'm in labour. Apparently she agreed but then last week asked if it was ok to come this weekend cos she had some stuff on up here (she lives in Canberra, we are in Sydney). Of course we couldn't say no, plus it is good for her to be here in case we need someone to look after DS if I need to go to hospital so I thought it was ok for a couple of days, but for her to extend it now because apparently she has another event to attend (which she never mentioned to us earlier but has had planned for weeks) just really annoys me! So after agreeing not to come and stay during my mat leave, it turns out she was planning to come all along! ay ay ay... So I guess that's another reason why I want this baby to hurry up- we might as well make use of her being here to babysit while she is here anyway, plus it will get me out of the house, hahahaha!

Anyway sorry about that rant! Butterflyme, I saw your comment about the bassinet. We are using one and I ordered some custom made flannelette sheets for it because I found they are the most snug and comfy for newborns. I got them from this lovely lady who makes them to fit lots of different bassinets:
www.customsizebabysheets.com.au. I had tried to find some in Target and other places but couldn't. I don't plan to use a flat sheet or blankets, just swaddles/ swaddle suits and then sleeping bags when s/he is older. My son is just over 2 and he still doesnt really use a blanket or sheet, just appropriate PJs and sleeping bag.

Sorry to hear your friends are being so absent too, Butterflyme. At least it gives you time to enjoy being alone and resting, nesting etc before baby comes. Maybe you just need to hint that you are available now!

I hope everyone is feeling well, getting as much rest as possible and enjoying these last few days/ weeks before everything changes! Best of luck to anyone who goes into labour in the next little while!
original.gif

#60 butterflyme

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Pocket - Thank you for the link for the customised sheets!  I will have a look into that.

Oh dear, I do not envy your predicament with the MIL - I can only tolerate mine for short periods at a time, there are always these not so subtle jibes and comments whatever we have or do isn't 'good enough' (not sure for whom, or what or why!).   I really hope you get some peace soon!   The IL's came over for a visit on Saturday & she was all like 'Oh so you'll text me when you're on the way to hospital' (not a question - a statement or demand most likely!) DH quickly threw me in the deep end (not intentionally) saying 'Butterfly doesn't want people to know until we actually have a bub in our arms - what if shes in labour for days?!?'.  Yeah well she wasn't too impressed with that!!! hahaha  MY mum on the other hand is more than happy for us to not tell her until we have the bub as she said 'I won't be able to do anything & I'll just worry & feel useless waiting for the REAL news'.  I said from the get go I didn't want anyone to know when I go into labour - what's the point??  Unfortunately DH's brother will have to know if it happens in the morning / mid day as he is the closest to come by and feed our dogs although DH was quite elusive with him saying 'If I ring you to come feed the dogs, can you just do it, no questions asked?' I think he would have put 2 +2 together though!!    

After my rant last week I caught up with a close gf & her little one over the weekend - she initiated!  Woo, went for a wander around the shops & had morning tea which was nice.    

I feel a bit bad as I returned some bubby items I was given for my baby shower / work gift/ from MIL.  I had quite a few double ups of things, but I exchanged for other baby items so wasn't I got things completely different to what they'd bought, and a couple of items I just wanted to get the next size up in.  But deep down I feel like that's a bit ungrateful, but if I'm not going to use them why not swap for something that will be used, and its still for the baby!?

Good luck Spottyladybug for the next few days!!

AFM:  I still have 18 days till my EDD ohmy.gif I'm hoping bub comes early - like mid next week as we are meant to go to a wedding that weekend & I a) have nothing appropriate to wear and b) dh is in the bridal party so I want him to be able to enjoy himself without the worry of me having had enough / popping / etc etc!!  We'd both rather I be tucked up in the hospital with the bub and everyone can relax!  I keep telling bubs so I wonder if those ears are working!

Hoping to see some announcements on here in the coming days / weeks!!  Good Luck to you all x

#61 spottyladybug

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Two days to go! Jnr seems adamant that it is staying put! Just gives me lots of twinges that then amount to nothing. Doing lots of tidying and cleaning, trying to stay active but it doesn't appear to be helping.  All the door jambs are sparkly clean now!

How are you all travelling? If you have had your little one hope you are  having a lovely time getting to know them :-)

DH is now on school holidays so it will be nice having him around lots.

What is everyone up to while waiting for bub to arrive?

#62 Appletree25

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi all

Am now 40+3 and am doing okay. Last OB appt on Fri showed baby nearly out of room there on the inside (not enough fluid to sustain it for the next week). That coupled with me trying to fight and recover from a viral infection and baby's decreased movements mean that I booked in to be Induced on Mon nite. Internal exam revealed that I'd dilated only 1 cm.

Not the way I wanted things to process but hey.

Itching to meet our little man/chickie babe.

Occuping my time doing light tidying up and finally getting our wedding album done - only 18 months later.

Today we're off to a christening, then it's home again, feet up to look at our short list of names. Current decision - middle name or not. DH has one and I don't. He says baby doesn't need one but I kinda like it.

#63 spottyladybug

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hey Appletree, definately be thinking of you tomorrow.
Hope it all goes smoothly and your little arrives with minimal fuss.
Xo

#64 Appletree25

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks spottyladybug.

#65 Blueberrymummy

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi all,

I gave birth to a healthy baby boy on April 16. He was 3.72 Kilos and 51.5 cm. This is my second baby and it was a very different experience to my first birth, no epidural this time, but overall I'm very happy and the midwives were great.

#66 spottyladybug

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Congrats Blueberrymummy. Have a wonderful time with your new little one :-)

#67 Appletree25

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Induced Monday 15th (contractions had me only another cm dilated at 8 am the following morning).
9.45 am - contractions now on top of one another and gas was of no assistance except to leave me disorientated and sick.
Offer of epidural taken and 8 hours of bliss ensured. Fully dilated and ready to push by 6pm.
6 pm to 8 pm - baby not in distress but not able to get over the bone.
8pm - rushed to theatre and asisted forceps or vacumn the plan, and c section if not happening.
8.14 pm - after three contractions our little pumpkin was delivered via forceps.
So relieved to gave avoided a c section.  Still, tearing ensure and I'm now recovering before discharge tomorrow.

Going to miss the staff here but it's time to get into the real world.

Good luck to all 'due in April 2013' mums. :-)

#68 butterflyme

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Congratulations Appletree!!!!

Well girls, my little boy arrived last Friday 12th April exactly 2 weeks early!   It was a spontaneous labour - so spontaneous I was out with the girls for lunch & my waters broke in the toilet of the restaurant.  

It has been a rollercoaster week of emotions.   Poor little bugger had a rough start to the world, and i am just thankful he is here.   We're both so in love with him, its amazing.

Good luck to you all you can do it no matter what xx

#69 anna_garny

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Had my baby girl on Saturday the 20th, after a 7AM induction we went through almost 8 hours of labour together, and even though I was fully dilated, baby girl did not want to descend. We were going well but at around 3PM her heart rate started to drop during contractions, going below 80bpm and she was clearly in distress, so at 4:40 pm she came out via emergency cesar.

53cm long, 8lb5oz and healthy with it, we got home yesterday and she's snoozing now having had a big long feed, my milk came in today and the sensation is just weird... But we are both happy and well so that's all I care about.

#70 Koobie83

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Congrats everyone who has had their babies! Mine will be here on Monday. Having a C-section thanks to being stubbornly breech. Not too scared about the operation because I know my little girl will be here. Plus nothing could be worse than my wisdom teeth being removed - in the chair, each tooth took 40 mins each to take out and felt pain constantly... dentist didn't realise the roots were twisted on themselves so the Xray came up looking normal. Bad bad bad...

#71 DScully

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Congrats to all the April mums and bubs  biggrin.gif Hope everyone is recovering well and enjoying their bundles of joy.

I had my little one a couple of weeks ago via c-section. Bub is doing well, mum and dad are fumbling and bumbling around hoping we are doing things right!

Koobie83 - sending you good vibes! My c-section went relatively smoothly (I think), personally I found the pain of cracked nipples from breastfeeding more painful and stressful than the c-section sad.gif Take all the painkillers they give you and just take things easy.

#72 spottyladybug

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Congrats everyone and best wishes to those still waiting :-).

Our baby boy was born on the 23rd after an induction for being 9 days over.  We are back at home, currently feeding, who knew  4.30 am even existed!

Miss my sleep!

#73 DScully

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Sleep? What sleep? unsure.gif

And why didn't someone tell me about the leakage - I sit funny and my boobs start leaking, I bend over to pick something up and they leak, I hold bubba against me and they leak ... argh!!!

#74 spottyladybug

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (DScully @ 02/05/2013, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sleep? What sleep? unsure.gif

And why didn't someone tell me about the leakage - I sit funny and my boobs start leaking, I bend over to pick something up and they leak, I hold bubba against me and they leak ... argh!!!

I know right! Have a hot shower, go to put on pants....  poor jnr has copped  a few squirts up the nose when trying to attach too!

#75 pinkcharlibelle

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Congratulations to everyone!

I had my daughter on April 17th, via planned c-section.  Olivia Annie Beatrice weighed 7lb 6oz and was 48cm long, she came out weighing 6lb 10oz but has since passed her birth weight!  Mostly going well, recovery was alot faster than last time, birth experience was soooo much better-she was held above the sheet for us to see then checked briefly by the pead then given to me nuide and i had her skin to skin for 50 mins while i was stitched up then she was on me while i was wheeled to recovery-and they let my 8yr old, my mum and sister into recovery aswell!  Was great this time (the pain wasnt great but from my 1st experience, this one was soo much better!)

Her middle names are after a late great granny and another great granny

I think she has silent reflux though poor bubba sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.