Liams Homebirth

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kristabelle01

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

cry1.gif      When I found out that I was pregnant with baby number 3 I cried for 2 days from the shock! We had only ever planned on having two children, and not 6 months earlier DH and I had a frank discussion and put any thoughts of another to bed. We were both happy and planning for the future with our beautiful DD's.
     About two weeks before my BFP I had finally plucked up the courage to donate blood for the first time. When asked if there was any chance I was pregnant before proceeding I answered with a firm 'no!'. Little did I know my little boy had already been conceived. I felt pretty shoddy after the donation and didn't start to feel better as I had expected. I decided I wouldn't be donating blood again. Eventually something clicked in my mind and I got out the calendar and started counting. And rechecking. And again. My period was 5 days late. There were two lines on the stick and despite the waterworks my little bean had already become part of our family wub.gif
     DD2 had arrived with no problems in hospital 5 years previously, so after some discussion with DH we decided to apply to the Community midwifery program and have this baby at home. Although I feel absolutely revolting for the first 20 weeks my previous pregnancies had been normal and I'm pretty sure I have most boring medical history ever laughing2.gif So we were offered a place and everything went smoothly, my midwives were lovely and very supportive and knoweledgable. Having them visit me at home in the last month was a godsend! From about 37 weeks I had a lot of prelabour and false starts and it was taking it's toll mentally. Everything was ready for the birth, the birthpool was ready, the girls were ready, dh was ready, I was most definately ready!! wink.gif
     My due date came and went...the girls were a little early so that was a first!...my midwife started doing stretch and sweeps every second day to try get things moving, I was 3-4cm dilated but no painful contractions. My backup hospital booked me in for induction at 11 days over. This hospital had a reputation for being difficult when it came to overdue babies so I was getting stressed.At 10 days over my midwife sought permission from the Consultant to break my waters at home. I had toddled off to a Melbourne cup lunch in the hopes that if I went and tried to have fun I would suddenly go into labour! laughing2.gif Not 10 minutes after arriving at my friends house my phone rang, it was my lovely midwife with the news that if I went and had some monitoring at the hospital first, she would be able to break my waters at home!!! Hurrah!!
     Sitting in the horrible chair having monitoring was so uncomfortable, I was having strong braxton hicks and due to the position I was in the pain in my back was unbearable. The midwife attending us was lovely and brought me sandwiches and lemonade to get bubs moving so we could skedaddle happy.gif Throughout all this I felt very strongly that our baby was just fine and didn't experience a moments worry. After the registrar had a quick look at the trace he sent us on our way with cheery 'Goodluck!' and I breathed a massive sigh of relief that I would be meeting my baby very soon.
    At 4.20pm my midwife broke my waters. Having it done on my own bed was slightly disconcerting, what about my mattress!! ffear.gif Seriously though, I felt so relaxed being in my own home. There was no great gush of fluid, merely a little trickle, I was still a stretchy 3-4 cm and bubs was fully engaged as he had been for at least 2 weeks. As I stood up I had a painful contraction. "ow, you broke me!' I said to the midwife, she chuckled and put her hand on my belly. 'Ooooh yeah, that's a nice one!'. I was so happy to finally be in pain! laughing2.gif
     She suggested that I go sit on my fit ball and bounce around a bit to put pressure on my cervix. Meanwhile she hung around for a bit to do a few observations and make sure bubs was happy. After 10 Minutes I needed the toilet and as I stood up whoooosh! I was laughing my head of as I toddled off to the toilet trying to hold in the flow(not very successfully). After that the contractions started to ramp up and were lasting a minute. My midwife left to watch her daughters netball game. My Mum had already arrived to tend the girls and she took them to drop DD1 at her pottery class. I called my friend who is a student midwife and was following my pregnancy for her studies, to come over as things were heating up. When I had to stop and breathe through the contractions I told DH to start filling the pool.
     By now it was about 5.30 and I had to stop flitting around the house and concentrate. I laboured on my hands and knees on my bed. The pain in my back was horrendous and never really went away between contractions. DS was in a good position and not posterior, but I always seem to feel the pain in my back, my mum was the same. I was timing the contractions on my phone and when I had 5 contractions 3 minutes apart I called my midwife"It hurts, you'd better come back" I whimpered. I'd told her that if I said it hurts she'd better get here quick smart as I'd been fully dilated with DD2 when I finally cracked and started complaining laughing2.gif That was at about 5.50 and by 6.00pm she was here. I asked if I could get in the pool and she said yes, but DH had made it too hot!!Argh! While I was waiting for cold water to be added I had a contraction on the couch, then decided to dash off to the toilet between contractions. Scampering past the front door in the buff I encountered two backup midwives on their way in. At this point I still had my sense of humour beacuse I made a comment about a 'naked pregnant lady coming through!!' According to the notes they arrived at 6.12pm. I had another contraction in the toilet before I headed back to hop in the pool.
     Oh for the love of God the relief. I wish it had been ready a lot earlier but I refused to get my hopes up that I was really in labour. I laboured on my hands and knees, I tried to rest my head on the side between contractions but I had to have my belly horizontal to keep the pressure off my back. By this point my arms were shaking from holding me up. A midwife was getting me to have sips of water. DD2(5) was pouring water on my back and calmly encouraging me. It was actually really soothing to hear her little voice.  My breathing changed from a slow blowing out to a frantic 'ffffffffffffffffffff' sound and I said the baby will be here soon. Halfway through the next contraction I started pushing and I was startled because I hadn't meant to. laughing2.gif My midwife just said 'Go with it Kristie' and left me to it. Up to this point I had been quiet apart from the sound of me breathing but now I was making a lot of noise and I didn't care. I didn't hold back and was aware that I was probably doing myself an injury but didn't care about that either. I wanted this baby out. Like, yesterday laughing2.gif
     Liam Jon was born after a 6 minute 2nd stage at 6.36pm on November 6th, 2013, Melbourne Cup day biggrin.gif  I scooped him up into my arms and settled back to look at him. I had warned DH that babies born in the water tend to be quiet and bluish and he will be eternally grateful, as Liam just made a little yelp and promptly went to sleep. Very different to our DD's who came our screaming and went pink straight away. Lying back in the water and looking at him was pure bliss. DD1 arrived home just as her brother was being born and DD2 had been right in the thick of it the whole time. Everyone gathered around to look at this calm little bundle and I remember thinking that this was exactly what I wanted - my baby entering the world with his family around him and caregivers who were known to us, with no unnesscesary(sp?) fuss.
     I got to wallow with him in the pool for 43 minutes while his very stubborn placenta tried to emerge, I was absolutely spent and could barely rustle up a cough to try and help it out! Eventually out it came and it was enormous and perfectly healthy, no wonder he didn't want to come out he had it too good on the inside! laughing2.gif (I had the placenta encapsulated it was too good to waste grin.gif ) The midwives did their 'things' Liam was weighed at 4.28 kg and 57cm long, though his length was wrong because at 3 weeks he was only 54cm! So maybe 51-52cm. It was pretty dark when they were doing the measuring ddoh.gif
     After a breastfeed and general checkover(I only had a little graze, yeah!)I had a shower while DH snuggled with Liam. I felt pretty faint getting out of the shower so I called out and the cavalry came running roll2.gif I think I was a bit dehydrated, not to mention exhausted from a fast and furious labour.By 10.30 I was tucked up in bed with my little man wub.gif My mum got the girls off to bed and cleaned up wub.gif
     I had a fantastic experience with the community midwives, the ante and postnatal care was awesome(after the birth they came to my house every couple of days for 3 weeks!). For me it wasn't just about the birth but the whole period surrounding it. I'd certainly do it all again. But there wont be 'next time'. Honest!  biggrin.gif

Edited by kristabelle01, 15 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#2 frogsong

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

That's a beautiful birth story.  Congratulations to you all on the safe arrival of little Liam.

#3 Pretty Boy Floyd

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Lovely story, congratulations,to you,and family original.gif

#4 Alina0210

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

lovelly... love births like this...  original.gif xx congratulations

#5 monkeys mum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Gorgeous, sounds like a wonderful birth!

Congratulations, i bet your two dds are loving Liam!

#6 Jax12

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Such a lovely birth story. God I am so clucky. This didn't help!

#7 Barefoot

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
Congratulations.

#8 ~Peaches~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

So lovely wub.gif congratulations on the birth of Liam.

#9 deejie

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

What a beautiful birth story. Welcome earthside, Liam  wub.gif Lovely name, but I am biased. Our DS1 is Liam too  wink.gif

#10 briandrea

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Congratulations on a lovely birth experience! We are hoping for a homebirth this time and I agree with your last paragraph, it's about the whole experience. Wish we had a community midwifery system in QLD though! Hope you're enjoying your little boy original.gif

#11 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Oh reading this makes me want to have another one!!!!  happy.gif .  What a truly beautiful experience.

Congratulations!!!  wub.gif

#12 Leslie Knope

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (♥~Bodhichitta~♥ @ 16/01/2013, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh reading this makes me want to have another one!!!!

Me too!! Congrats OP.

#13 kristabelle01

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Aw thankyou for the congrats! Nothing like birth stories to make you clucky hehe wink.gif  Liam is 10 weeks now and he is ridiculously adorable and worshiped by his two 'little mothers' aka his big sisters laughing2.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.