Do you have a kitchen safety gate?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kpingitquiet

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi! We have a ~26mo and have had a gate across the kitchen/dining since she could walk. There's a sliding door/screen exit there and the normal kitchen appliances. We're replacing the dining table soon and I'd love to remove the gate but I'm nervous about her safety. Do you have a gate across the kitchen? Across the back door? When do you plan to remove it? If not, do you use safety latches and stove guards and all that?

#2 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

We've never had a safety gate for our kitchen, but that is partly because it's designed in a way its not really possible. We don't have safety latches (she cant open the cupboards as they have no handles) or stove guards but DD is never in there without us so we're not overly worried.

We sometimes have a gate up to our back door but that's because DD escapes through the dog door without us hearing!! If you wouldnt hear the sliding door open I would just keep it locked.

#3 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

No we don't have any gates up and only have the door latches on the cupboard under the sink, this has all the chemicals.

DS has his cupboard which is filled with all his plastic plates, cups, sippy cups etc... And he knows this is the one cupboard he can go to.

He also opens the pots and pans drawer, and I keep a wooden spoon in there for him to play music on the pots, but he knows to pack them away most of the time.

It did take a little while for him to learn he has his cupboard, with us saying no that's not your door.

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

My son is 3 and 1/2 and we have just removed the safety gate. No problems so far, although I remind him when the oven is on and we try to keep him away and occupied while it is on. Chemicals are stored above the fridge, I can only just reach them with a footstool.

#5 libbylu

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

We used a safety gate across the kitchen but would have taken it down before 2.5 years - he kept kicking it over at that point I think! And by that age they are old enough to understand about danger better and not get their fingers stuck in drawers. Depends on the kid though I guess.

#6 Escapin

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

We have a safety gate at the end of the kitchen, but that's to keep DD's friends IN the kitchen and backroom, rather than roaming the rest of the house with dirty mits...

#7 farfaraway

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

No gates or latches here and we've never had any issues. We "gave" the kids a kitchen cupboard when they got mobile full of plastic containers and bowls that they had free reign in. I've also never moved "breakables", they've been taught to live with them - it's our house too! I think you can be safe without gates and locks everywhere, it takes a conscious effort though.

#8 tenar

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

For 3.5yo DD1 and 18mo DD2 we still have a gate on the kitchen.  It is locked when we are cooking something on the stovetop and sometimes when the oven is on.

I worry about the risk to them both, but especially DD2, from them being too curious about what is going on on the stove...  Not sure when we'll remove the gate, certainly not until DD2 is at least 2.

#9 imamumto3

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I don't have a gate for the kitchen because they design just does not allow it.  the only door which is latched is the detergent cupboard.  knives are up high.  my kids have never hurt themselves in the kitchen.  dd2 who is just over 2 knows to be out if the oven is on and runs away when she sees me opening the oven door, even if its just to clean it!

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Mine definitely doesn't run from the stove despite us telling her "Too hot! Danger!" since she first noticed it existed, and she's rather fond of doing the exact thing we've told her not to do immediately after we've told her not to do it. We're trying for #2 and I was hoping to have less gates around from the start but I guess my dream of a gate free life is far far away! Thanks guys.

#11 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I've never had a gate on our kitchen. Chemicals are kept somewhere else but we do have a floor oven.

"Too hot, danger" didn't work for my little one either. Touching the hot oven did though. They are going to realise it's hurts long before it really burns them. I certainly didn't encourage her to touch it but she kept trying to reach it until she eventually succeeded.

She says "hot, owie, keep away" whenever she goes near it now.

Not everyone's parenting cup of tea I know, worked for us.

#12 Jenferal

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I never bothered with a safety gate, no where to put one. And the kitchen leads to the dining room anyway so we'd have to block both ends which is impractical.
I did have safety latches on the top 2 drawers but they kept falling off so I gave up.
She's never touched the floor oven(it has a lock which I use every time still) and she's allowed in any cupboard or drawer. She knows the oven is hot and will back well away when I open it, as she can feel the heat coming out of it.
All the knives are on the wall well out of reach, she knows she's not allowed to touch the dinner knives and never has more than once or twice.
Chemicals are above MY head in the laundry so they aren't an issue(dish detergent she can't reach either).
As 2 GG said above, sometimes they need to feel the heat of the oven before they can learn. It needs to click in their brain WHY it's a no no, and WHY it actually hurts when touched.

Stove tops are a no no though. My DD isn't allowed near the stove. You can't tell if it's been on as it doesn't glow when hot.

I just wish she'd stop taking all my utensils to use in her play kitchen..lol.

#13 ajb2205

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

We never needed a kitchen gate or safety latches etc for DS1 but DS2, well he is another matter entirely....  From the moment he could crawl he's been into everything. And I mean everything!!

We've got a gate at the kitchen, a board across the cd bookshelf, closed doors on bedrooms & bathrooms all day. If we didn't, I'd spend every moment of the day rescuing him from himself. Personality difference plays a big part (as one was very tentative and the other is just a go-getter) but also being a 2nd child means I don't have every moment to attend to him AND he has an older brother to chase around the house...

Makes for fun times original.gif

#14 cinnabubble

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Never had gates. Had a floor oven in the old place and she probably touched it, but no long term harm was done. I don't think I even know anyone whose kitchen is able to be sectioned off like that.

#15 ajb2205

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Ooops - dbl post!

Edited by ajb2205, 15 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#16 ~littlebirdy~

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I just put in gates recently as I couldn't stand it any longer! Our kitchen is a bit awkward to gate off so I had been using our stools on their sides to deter DS, but he can now just climb over them and then he started using them as a step to get stuff off the bench!

Like PP, our DD didn't go near the stove once she had been told a few times but DS is a different story. He loves to do what he shouldn't and makes sure you know about it too (or else, what's the point Tounge1.gif ?). It's like he just 'has' to do something he shouldn't if there is a chance to do it, same with everything. I even let him touch the stove once when it was off, but still a little warm - he didn't like it much but still went back to it again next time  rolleyes.gif He is relentless.

Anyway, putting in the gates has been the best thing ever! He doesn't even mind and leaves me alone in the kitchen now - it's like a relief for him not 'having' to get in there any more lol

I bought these gates as I had to deal with funny angles. Best thing ever!

#17 Mamabear2010

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

I don't have gates or latches. My ds (now 2.5) has always been allowed in the kitchen. I used to latch the sink cupboard but I've moved all the chemicals now. I have a wall oven, which helps. And our glasses are up high.

I like the kitchen being accessible to him. He can open almost all doors/drawers. He doesn't pull stuff out unnecessarily.  

When he was very little, he got his fingers caught in the drawers a couple of times so he quickly learnt to be careful.

My ds has a step stool that he uses to stand at the bench. He loves it- he helps wash up, clean the benches, put dishes away (including breakables) and cooks with me. I get him to grab his bowl for his food and occasionally he'll grab a china bowl for me.  

He understands the stove and oven are hot. If he tries opening the oven door, I just keep reminding him that it's hot. The door is triple glazed so it doesn't get hot.

#18 lozoodle

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Nope, ours is too hard to have a gate because its open plan with an island bench.

But you know me, I don't really do gates because they get in my way and give me the sh*ts. Obviously its a bit different for you with the dogs around original.gif

The kids have free reign of the house. Though I do have one pressure mounted resizable gate that I will sometimes use if I want to keep them downstairs with me while I have a shower rather than wandering upstairs etc, and also put on their bedroom door of a night time (as I'd hate for one of them to fall down the stairs when half asleep at night or something).

I honestly don't find it an issue, they don't really get into much, perhaps because there is nothing really stopping them? Sure they are curious at first but Holly points to the oven saying "very hot don't touch" etc so she gets the gist.

#19 laridae

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

We don't use gates or latches i the kitchen.  The back door is downstairs, so we do have a gate at the top & bottom (but its also to keep the dogs downstairs too).

We don't have any high cubpoards,  so puretty much everuthing is within her reach.  We keep the knives on the bench (she can't reach), and applicances are kept on top of the pantry cupboard (which is tall). Our oven is bench height, and its not used that often (and its not particularly hot to touch from the outside).  So its only when we take thiings out or put them away that I ask her to go in the other room - or put her in her learning tower so she can see but not touch.

She's never really got into the cupbooards all that much, she knows where her plates and cups are, so she can get them out herrself.  She's also able to open the fridge and get the milk out, but she always brings it to us to pour for her.  I have found her eating baken beans out of a tin in the fridge with a spoon though...

Our kitchen is pretty big, and is the only access to some of the other rooms, so I couldn't really block it off even if I wanted to.  For xmas she got a little wooden kitchen & her own set of utensils & play food - its set up in our kitchen so she starts playing with that if we are in there cooking now.

#20 livvie7586

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

we never have, and won't for this baby either.  there will be gates in the house (the main one is to block off DS and DDs bedrooms, so they can have their own space without their little bother, and so i don't have to worry about lego etc making its way into little hands), but our kitchen isn't the most practical to block off

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

We sectioned off the kitchen. It has only been since DD was 2-3yrs that we would leave the gate off except when cooking(under bench oven) and have left the gate totally off since 2.75 yrs. I do know a child who was badly burned when they moved into a new house and they had not put gates up.... He burnt both hands in the oven.

We also use gates on bathroom and bedrooms... It also helps to know who is where.

#22 kpingitquiet

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Loz: Yeah, initially the gate was to keep the dogs separated from the newborn-kiddo lol. Her prison has grown with her.

ATM there is a small gate around the TV/amp, etc as she constantly screws with stuff over there when it's missing and that's the only one other than the kitchen/dining. So, she has roam of most of the house with us just shutting doors if a particular room is off limits, that day.

I guess I'm just extra paranoid as she's a Championship Disobey-er, envelope-pusher, limit-tester, and is afraid of nothing. I have visions of her yanking pans down off the stove, puling a hot door open just to see why it's hot, etc.

Hmm... maybe I could "graduate" her to a retractable mesh type gate (Does anyone use these?) instead of the solid bar type. That would give us both a bit more freedom but allow me to keep her out of the kitchen when something is cooking for hours or I have 20 pots going, etc. We're about to retire our sharp-cornered rectangle dining table for an oval one so that's one big hazard gone biggrin.gif Thanks. You guys are helping me think this all through biggrin.gif

#23 Bluenomi

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

No gates or latches here. DD only ever goes into the cupboards that have her plates and cups in and we just taught her to never touch the oven since it is hot. It's too hard to fence our kitchen off and I'd rather she learned to not touch things so I don't have to worry at other people's places.

#24 Team Awesome

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

We actually added ours 3 years ago  as a two fold the now 5yo was trying to use the oven door as a stool to get on the bench and our DS was waking at 4am and taking food into his room!

Dh added a combination lock to ours though to deter DS further. (We have no problem with food eating just the fact he was taking it into his room which isn't allowed and hiding it as it started decomposing, smelling and we got rats, gross!)

The now 5yo started doing same thing DS did around October was most unimpressed.

So yeah for now the gate stays, 2yo can open gate into Ds room(small lego and other tiny constructibles toys remain in his room) she can't open the kitchen gate though. It is a 125cm high gate which helps.

#25 kpingitquiet

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, I hear the "other people's houses" thing a lot but we are rarely at other people's houses (maybe once a month) and she is a perfect angel when we are lol. She saves all her deviant ways for home.

Team Awesome: WOW scary!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.