Questions to ask OB about elective CS... updated with answers if you're interested :)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 duck-o-lah

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hi EB,

I'm currently 28 weeks pg and soon will be having an appointment with an OB to discuss my elective CS. This will be the last opportunity I have to talk to the OB directly, so I was wondering if you could help me come up with a list of questions, to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. I'm sure there are so many questions that I will think of... after I have the appointment  rolleyes.gif
Help me oh wise ones original.gif

Edited to update the list...
...and add the answers I received. I'm sure every hospital is different, but thought answers might be helpful to anyone in the same situation.

Can I have immediate skin to skin contact with bub?
Ideally, yes. Providing there are no immediate issues, skin to skin contact is encouraged ASAP. A support person/partner is required to help you hold baby.

CanI attempt BFing immediately?
As above. The goal is to get baby on the breast ASAP.

Will bub be taken away from me for a prolonged period of time after the op?
No, providing there are no health issues with baby or mum. If a MW is not available to accompany me to recovery, baby will stay with DH for this time.

Whether cameras are allowed in operating room?
Yes, providing I have a support person that is responisble for it.

Can you partner / husband stay with you the entire time? From surgery through to recovery, then up to the ward.
Once the epi/spinal is administered and the surgeons are ready, the support person is allowed into theatre, providing a general anaesthetic is not required, in which case they will not be permitted into theatre. I can't remember if they are permitted in recovery.

Is your partner allowed in with you in the anaesthetic room when you have your spinal/epi put in? No.

where will incision be made? If repeat CS, will old scar be removed during surgery?
In my case, the incision will be made directly through my old scar.

What type of stitches used?
Depends on the surgeon, most likely non-disolvable ones.

what is policy on eating in 1st 24hrs after operation (my first OB only allows clear liquids)
Eating and drinking is permitted soon after being back on the ward.

how long before he/she permits driving - some allow after 2-3wks, others say 6wks.
The recommendation is to wait for 6 weeks, however I was advised to contact my insurance company.

shave/wax the area or not before?
Whatever takes your fancy. They may or may not shave before surgery (personally I'm going for a wax, I have vivid memories of pulling the dressing off my previous scar, having not shaved, and omg the pain!)

Is there a midwife available on the day to go to recovery with you?
I am in an assigned midwife program, assuming there are no problems she will be there to come to recovery. However, if I go into labour before the scheduled CS, there is the possibility that there may not be enough MW's on staff to accompany me to recovery, in which case baby stays with DH while I go to recovery.

discuss what type of anaesthetic will be used and what will the post op pain relief be
A spinal is used for scheduled CS's. I was advised to pursue these details further at a consult with an anaesthetist which I'm supposedly having but need to confirm.

any type of compression wear required/recommended for post op?
Compression stockings are provided. I can choose to invest in something fancier if I wish, but nothing is specifically recommended, other than the stockings.

can I organise music? Radio, ipad etc
There are no facilities provided in theatre, but I can organise an i-pad/pod or similar so long as I have a support person that is responsible for it.

what is a normal sort of timeframe to expect to hear bubs cry after they are pulled out? (I know that every second until I hear that cry will feel like a century)
Babies usually make some sort of noise fairly soon after they are pulled out of their comfy hidey-hole original.gif

what type of stitches/dressings are used? How do I care for the wound after the op?
Depends on the surgeon, most likely non-dissolvable stitched which will be removed by a MW, most likely at a home visit. I forgot to ask about post-op care.

Hope this thread is helpful to others original.gif

Edited by duck-o-lah, 13 February 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Sassy Dingo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Whether cameras are allowed in operating room?

#3 bluetea

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Can you partner / husband stay with you the entire time? From surgery through to recovery, then up to the ward.

Can't think of anything else sorry original.gif

#4 caterpillar~girl

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (~Rach~ @ 16/01/2013, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't think of anything else sorry original.gif

Is your partner allowed in with you in the anaesthetic room when you have your spinal/epi put in?  

The public hospital I had an elective c/s in didn't allow this. Took a long time for the spinal/epi to work and meanwhile, my DH was in limbo for one hour and didn't know what was going on.

Edited by caterpillar~girl, 16 January 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#5 caterpillar~girl

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (duck-o-lah @ 15/01/2013, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Can I have immediate skin to skin contact with bub?
- Can I attempt BFing immediately?

If allowed, this can be improved by taking your arms out of the gown before you go into the OT when the anaesthetist will hook you up to the cannula in your arm/wrist. Having your arms out of your gown will also assist with your first BF.

Edited by caterpillar~girl, 16 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#6 kittycat01

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

- where will incision be made? If repeat CS, will old scar be removed during surgery? Type of stitches used?

- what is policy on eating in 1st 24hrs after operation (my first OB only allows clear liquids)

- how long before he/she permits driving - some allow after 2-3wks, others say 6wks.

- shave/wax the area or not before? My 2nd OB specifically asked not to as they do it on the spot so there is no inflammation (obviously seen a lot of botch jobs ... Lol)

#7 caterpillar~girl

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (kittycat01 @ 16/01/2013, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- how long before he/she permits driving - some allow after 2-3wks, others say 6wks.

This is a question for the insurance company which insures your car.

#8 Pssst...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (caterpillar~girl @ 16/01/2013, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My insurance company told me that I could drive whenever my OB said it was OK to drive. So in my case it was a question for both original.gif

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

How long you are separated from baby or if you are will depend in many things.

Is there a midwife available on the day to go to recovery with you? They may be super bust and the midwif is needed on the ward (have had this happen).

How are you going post op? My third I had troubles maintaining BP and body temp so I was in recovery longer.

Both of the above could not be foreseen.

Eta like PP my insurance company was fine with me driving if my OB was.

Edited by lsolaBella, 16 January 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#10 soontobegran

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (caterpillar~girl @ 16/01/2013, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Insurance companies don't care whether you are driving or not to pay out as long as you have not been banned specifically by a doctor. If you are in an accident and your doctor is called by the insurer and he tells them that he has said "under no circumstances should you drive" then you could be in trouble claiming. sad.gif
I know 6 weeks is bandied around as being the right time to drive but every Obstetrician I have known has said that their patients may drive when they can comfortably get in and out of the car and press their foot to the pedal and brake without pain.
I think the average is about 3 weeks but some sooner and some later with it being impossible for mums with other children to not drive....I am sure some women drive a bit too soon because of this and some leave it way too long because they think they can't drive.

Sorry OP, I digressed.

I think it is important to ask whether your baby is able to go to recovery with you and your partner if you are both well and I also think you should discuss what type of anaesthetic will be used and what will the post op pain relief be. He may suggest you talk to the anasthetist beforehand, some are very helpful during your operation in terms of taking photos, helping you free your arms and visualising parts of the delivery if you want....some are not. sad.gif

#11 duck-o-lah

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks everyone! Another topic has reminded me to ask whether it's worth investing in some compression shorts or similar (mentioned it so I can add to my list).

If allowed, this can be improved by taking your arms out of the gown before you go into the OT when the anaesthetist will hook you up to the cannula in your arm/wrist. Having your arms out of your gown will also assist with your first BF.
Good tip! I'll try and remember that one.

- where will incision be made?
Apparantly I have a good scar and the incision will be made right through it... will ask about stitches though.

- shave/wax the area or not before? My 2nd OB specifically asked not to as they do it on the spot so there is no inflammation (obviously seen a lot of botch jobs ... Lol)
omg, the worst part about taking off my dressings after my 1st CS was the fact that as I took the dressings off they were pulling my hairs out... OWWW. I had intended on getting a wax this time, but I guess I should check first.

Is there a midwife available on the day to go to recovery with you? They may be super bust and the midwif is needed on the ward (have had this happen).
I'm in a dedicated MW program so I assume she will be there, but good question.

Will ask the insurer and OB about driving. It is not realistic for me not to drive for 6 weeks, so I hope we can sort something out!

... I also think you should discuss what type of anaesthetic will be used and what will the post op pain relief be. He may suggest you talk to the anasthetist beforehand, some are very helpful during your operation in terms of taking photos, helping you free your arms and visualising parts of the delivery if you want....some are not.

Good one. Last time I was given endone which I don't react to well, so must remember to mention this! As for visualising the birth, in my case the lesser the better... it may be quite a trick to pass out while lying down but I'm sure I could manage it laughing2.gif

Good thinking ladies, keep 'em coming!

Edited by duck-o-lah, 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.