Putting off TTC when friend is having trouble

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Have you ever put off TTC because someone you were close to was having trouble concieving?

Won't go into much detail but basically if someone close to you was having trouble concieving, not yet at IVF stage but had multiple miscarriages, etc, would that tempt you to pause your own TTC journey out of, I don't know, not sympathy, but just not feeling 'right' about having a baby?

If you decided to proceed with TTC anyway, would you tell them you were trying, or just wait until their was a pregnancy to announce?

#2 it'stime

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

No I think that would be silly.

I have recently found out I have a poor ovarian reserve. I am only 31 and have the eggs of a 41 year old. If I thought that way my chances may have been completely over.

Why tempt fate?

#3 Mose

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think it's lovely of you to think that way...but I probably wouldn't do it.

Admittedly the reason I am not doing an IVF cycle this month is primarily because I want to support a good friend who is, and to focus on her, but I wouldn't put off TTC generally because a friend was having trouble.

As one who waited years for her miracle, and endured more than her share of pregnancy announcements while TTC, and went through all the excited yet envious emotions that brings....I can certainly say that if I had known someone was waiting to TTC because of my situation I would have been upset.  I never, ever wished anyone else NOT to have a healthy baby just because I was having trouble.

I wouldn't tell your friend you were TTC, unless you told her the other times (from your sig I think you have 2 children?).  If you told her the other times then I would tell her, sensitively, because otherwise she might feel upset that you felt you had to hide it from her.  If you didn't tell her the last times, I wouldn't now - why would she need to know?

#4 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

While they may find it extremely difficult if you do fall pregnant, no one I know with fertility issues would want their good friend to wait on their account- what if you ended up having issues too?

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

#6 silver-rain

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

We had trouble conceiving our second with infertility following a m/c, but I would not have expected nor wanted anyone to put off their own ttc journey because of me. Having said that, close friends of ours did announce their second pregnancy just before what should have been my due date in a group setting in a crowded cafe while my DH was out of town, and I felt that could have been handled a little more sensitively (they knew what had been going on with us), but I was still excited for them and happy to visit their baby when she arrived.

I think I did however see my s-i-l's face visibly relax with relief when we announced this pregnancy, and it was not long after that I was talking to her and found out that they were ttc soon - I think she would have felt awkward had they concieved before we did, but it wouldn't have bothered me. I hope they didn't delay because of us - I can't wait to be an Auntie!

#7 elmo_mum

we were having trouble ttc, and my friend openly knew that

she still (successfully - stupid troll fertile myrtles) ttc and announced she was pg with #2

i think she knew that i wanted to punch her in the back of the head, but i was still over the moon for her!!!!

ps.. i may have tied her into her wedding dress a little more snuggly.. lol

#8 opethmum

As a person who had difficulty conceiving, yes it was tough hearing people's pregnancies even my own sisters! I would honestly would not do this, you have your own life journey and if TTC now is part of that, then do so. Don't do it because you could regret it later in life, you may have difficulties too in TTC your next one. You could hold that person responsible for not completing your family and that could lead your friendship to a dark place and it may come back to bite you.
Even when I had my dark days in TTC endeavours I would not dream of telling those nearest to stop or put on hold their desires because that would hurt our friendship because I would hate to be responsible in them not completing their family.
It is an honourable thing to do but don't let a friend's predicament dictate to you the terms in how you live your life. Of course be ultra sensitive in telling her expect her to take her time to be ok with the news and be upfront that you are TTC too may help her better with the eventual pregnancy news.
Good luck and I hope you come to a decision you are happy with. Remember you have to live with your choices, she does not have to hold carte blanch to your TTC and if thinks she does then that is selfish imo.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Actually I was having almost this exact discussion yesterday with my friend who is having fertility issues. She practically begged me to start trying for kids sooner rather than later. Her reasoning was that IVF sucess rates decrease as you age & it's a long process to get there.

Once I told her I'd been trying for the last 7 months, she then made me promise not to give up & to get my butt to the GP if nothing has happened after 12 months.

#10 luke's mummu

Yes we did consider this, as my best friend was undergoing IVF after a few years of TTC. Ultimately we decided

a. there was no way of knowing for sure if we were going to have fertility issues and it could take us a few years of TTC.

b. her younger sister got pregnant and had a baby while they were TTC - if her own sister couldn't wait than why should we?

8 years later we have been blessed with 2 children and they sadly still have none. But looking back I am glad we didn't wait as it may have made our journey even harder, or else we would still be waiting.

I wouldn't tell her you were trying - but then I wouldn't tell anyone else. Why do you need to tell people anyway? I just assume when people get married or live together at some stage they will have children -unless they have told me otherwise.

Although when we were staring IVF we did tell a few people, including her, and she was surprisingly unhelpful anyway! (I think because she had a lot of IVF without success, she was emotionally preparing for ours to be successful by withdrawing herself from the situation - just seems to be her way of coping).

Edited by luke's mummu, 15 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#11 aidensmum

No need to. Conceiving is not easy in some cases but the world doesn't stop. Just don't announce that you are trying and if you do conceive, don't brag about how easy it was. I'd also keep quiet for the first trimester. Bothers me when people announce early at a time when I'm petrified of a loss.

Edited by aidensmum, 15 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#12 Maple Leaf

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

#13 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

No I wouldn't and no i haven't.

One of my close friend's has been TTC for 2 years. She started TTC after she found out I was pregnant with DS.

I am now pregnant with my second and she is still TTC. I don't rub it in her face. I support her through her fertility tests and I am there for her. I don't tell her to relax and it will happen. I think we both have a mutually respectful relationship. She shows interest, but I have told her if she'd prefer not to talk about it, that's okay too.

At the end of the day you can't put your life on hold.

#14 TheGreenSheep

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have been 'that friend'. I wouldnt want others to put on hold their own plans for my sake. Its completely your choice.

What I found more difficult was that people held me at a distance for fear of upsetting me. That hurts deeply. I am not that shallow that I cant celebrate my neices arrival. Please dont shield me like some disease carrier. PCO infertiltity aint contagious.

#15 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thank you for all your honest replies.

#16 Ally'smum

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

No I wouldn't, but I would tell them we were trying so that it wasn't a surprise.

#17 cme

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I wouldn't expect a friend to put TTC on hold.

I would expect them to let me know about it with sensitivity, but be prepared that she might still have a strange reaction.

I can never predict how I'm going to react to that kind of news. I do know that my worst reactions are when a pregnancy is anounced that I had no inkling of and I'm in a public group setting where poeple don't know my problems (and I don't want them to) and I'm expected to put on a happy face and just be excited for them. I can manage this is I have a heads up but if not I may just smile and make a stratigic exit.

I would let her know you are ttc.

#18 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Just FTR, I am not currently TTC. It is just a strong possibility in the near future.

#19 frizzle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Heavens no. Although in our case we were the infertile couple and watched everyone have babies here there and everywhere.

#20 domestically~challenged

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Having been that person suffering infertility I would say no don't put it off but definitely tell them you are going to start TTC so they can prepare for the announcement.

#21 Marchioness Flea

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

If you had a single friend who'd come out of a bad relationship(or just any relationship) would that stop you from going out with possibly the love of your life? Would your friend's divorce stop you from getting married to your long term partner?
You can't live your life dependent on other people's feelings. Yes, don't shove it in their face, but it's YOUR life, you do what you need to do.

#22 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

No, never.

By all means don't go singing from the roof tops if you do fall pregnant quickly, but you can't put your life on hold for other people. Be sensitive, be understanding if she does get upset, but there are no guarantees in life and you need to do what's right for you and your partner.

#23 Rainbow*Seeking

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

No, however it's a lovely way to think about it.
I had been TTC for nearly 8 years when a friend started and fell straight away. Never in a million years would I want her to stop her life because I couldn't fall. As life would have it our friendship isn't as close but I fell a year after she did.
You have a life OP you need to go live it.

#24 Dionysus

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

As someone struggling with (secondary) infertility, there is no way I would expect people around me to not TTC themselves.

I wouldn't not TTC for someone else.

My journey is not about them, theirs is not about me

#25 MoonPie

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

A very close friend of mine is a long term IVFer, and struggling in her TTC journey. She's always been very open with me about it, and tells me how she's going each stage. We talk daily.

When we were TTC I mentioned the concept once or twice, but didn't say the words "We are trying to have a baby." Telling her about our BFP was really difficult, but she took it like a trooper and was genuinely overjoyed. I could tell she was a little upset but she's been awesome.

ETA: She would have been horrified if we'd put off TTC for her sake.

Edited by Rebothy, 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.