Putting off TTC when friend is having trouble

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Have you ever put off TTC because someone you were close to was having trouble concieving?

Won't go into much detail but basically if someone close to you was having trouble concieving, not yet at IVF stage but had multiple miscarriages, etc, would that tempt you to pause your own TTC journey out of, I don't know, not sympathy, but just not feeling 'right' about having a baby?

If you decided to proceed with TTC anyway, would you tell them you were trying, or just wait until their was a pregnancy to announce?

#2 SaintJoe

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

No I think that would be silly.

I have recently found out I have a poor ovarian reserve. I am only 31 and have the eggs of a 41 year old. If I thought that way my chances may have been completely over.

Why tempt fate?

#3 Mose

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think it's lovely of you to think that way...but I probably wouldn't do it.

Admittedly the reason I am not doing an IVF cycle this month is primarily because I want to support a good friend who is, and to focus on her, but I wouldn't put off TTC generally because a friend was having trouble.

As one who waited years for her miracle, and endured more than her share of pregnancy announcements while TTC, and went through all the excited yet envious emotions that brings....I can certainly say that if I had known someone was waiting to TTC because of my situation I would have been upset.  I never, ever wished anyone else NOT to have a healthy baby just because I was having trouble.

I wouldn't tell your friend you were TTC, unless you told her the other times (from your sig I think you have 2 children?).  If you told her the other times then I would tell her, sensitively, because otherwise she might feel upset that you felt you had to hide it from her.  If you didn't tell her the last times, I wouldn't now - why would she need to know?

#4 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

While they may find it extremely difficult if you do fall pregnant, no one I know with fertility issues would want their good friend to wait on their account- what if you ended up having issues too?

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

No.

#6 silver-rain

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

We had trouble conceiving our second with infertility following a m/c, but I would not have expected nor wanted anyone to put off their own ttc journey because of me. Having said that, close friends of ours did announce their second pregnancy just before what should have been my due date in a group setting in a crowded cafe while my DH was out of town, and I felt that could have been handled a little more sensitively (they knew what had been going on with us), but I was still excited for them and happy to visit their baby when she arrived.

I think I did however see my s-i-l's face visibly relax with relief when we announced this pregnancy, and it was not long after that I was talking to her and found out that they were ttc soon - I think she would have felt awkward had they concieved before we did, but it wouldn't have bothered me. I hope they didn't delay because of us - I can't wait to be an Auntie!

#7 elmo_mum

nope

we were having trouble ttc, and my friend openly knew that

she still (successfully - stupid troll fertile myrtles) ttc and announced she was pg with #2

i think she knew that i wanted to punch her in the back of the head, but i was still over the moon for her!!!!

ps.. i may have tied her into her wedding dress a little more snuggly.. lol

#8 opethmum

As a person who had difficulty conceiving, yes it was tough hearing people's pregnancies even my own sisters! I would honestly would not do this, you have your own life journey and if TTC now is part of that, then do so. Don't do it because you could regret it later in life, you may have difficulties too in TTC your next one. You could hold that person responsible for not completing your family and that could lead your friendship to a dark place and it may come back to bite you.
Even when I had my dark days in TTC endeavours I would not dream of telling those nearest to stop or put on hold their desires because that would hurt our friendship because I would hate to be responsible in them not completing their family.
It is an honourable thing to do but don't let a friend's predicament dictate to you the terms in how you live your life. Of course be ultra sensitive in telling her expect her to take her time to be ok with the news and be upfront that you are TTC too may help her better with the eventual pregnancy news.
Good luck and I hope you come to a decision you are happy with. Remember you have to live with your choices, she does not have to hold carte blanch to your TTC and if thinks she does then that is selfish imo.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Actually I was having almost this exact discussion yesterday with my friend who is having fertility issues. She practically begged me to start trying for kids sooner rather than later. Her reasoning was that IVF sucess rates decrease as you age & it's a long process to get there.

Once I told her I'd been trying for the last 7 months, she then made me promise not to give up & to get my butt to the GP if nothing has happened after 12 months.

#10 luke's mummu

Yes we did consider this, as my best friend was undergoing IVF after a few years of TTC. Ultimately we decided

a. there was no way of knowing for sure if we were going to have fertility issues and it could take us a few years of TTC.

b. her younger sister got pregnant and had a baby while they were TTC - if her own sister couldn't wait than why should we?

8 years later we have been blessed with 2 children and they sadly still have none. But looking back I am glad we didn't wait as it may have made our journey even harder, or else we would still be waiting.

I wouldn't tell her you were trying - but then I wouldn't tell anyone else. Why do you need to tell people anyway? I just assume when people get married or live together at some stage they will have children -unless they have told me otherwise.

Although when we were staring IVF we did tell a few people, including her, and she was surprisingly unhelpful anyway! (I think because she had a lot of IVF without success, she was emotionally preparing for ours to be successful by withdrawing herself from the situation - just seems to be her way of coping).

Edited by luke's mummu, 15 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#11 aidensmum

No need to. Conceiving is not easy in some cases but the world doesn't stop. Just don't announce that you are trying and if you do conceive, don't brag about how easy it was. I'd also keep quiet for the first trimester. Bothers me when people announce early at a time when I'm petrified of a loss.

Edited by aidensmum, 15 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#12 Maple Leaf

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

No.

#13 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

No I wouldn't and no i haven't.

One of my close friend's has been TTC for 2 years. She started TTC after she found out I was pregnant with DS.

I am now pregnant with my second and she is still TTC. I don't rub it in her face. I support her through her fertility tests and I am there for her. I don't tell her to relax and it will happen. I think we both have a mutually respectful relationship. She shows interest, but I have told her if she'd prefer not to talk about it, that's okay too.

At the end of the day you can't put your life on hold.

#14 TheGreenSheep

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

NO.

I have been 'that friend'. I wouldnt want others to put on hold their own plans for my sake. Its completely your choice.

What I found more difficult was that people held me at a distance for fear of upsetting me. That hurts deeply. I am not that shallow that I cant celebrate my neices arrival. Please dont shield me like some disease carrier. PCO infertiltity aint contagious.

#15 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thank you for all your honest replies.

#16 Ally'smum

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

No I wouldn't, but I would tell them we were trying so that it wasn't a surprise.

#17 cme

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I wouldn't expect a friend to put TTC on hold.

I would expect them to let me know about it with sensitivity, but be prepared that she might still have a strange reaction.

I can never predict how I'm going to react to that kind of news. I do know that my worst reactions are when a pregnancy is anounced that I had no inkling of and I'm in a public group setting where poeple don't know my problems (and I don't want them to) and I'm expected to put on a happy face and just be excited for them. I can manage this is I have a heads up but if not I may just smile and make a stratigic exit.

I would let her know you are ttc.

#18 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Just FTR, I am not currently TTC. It is just a strong possibility in the near future.

#19 frizzle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Heavens no. Although in our case we were the infertile couple and watched everyone have babies here there and everywhere.

#20 domestically~challenged

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Having been that person suffering infertility I would say no don't put it off but definitely tell them you are going to start TTC so they can prepare for the announcement.

#21 Jenferal

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

If you had a single friend who'd come out of a bad relationship(or just any relationship) would that stop you from going out with possibly the love of your life? Would your friend's divorce stop you from getting married to your long term partner?
You can't live your life dependent on other people's feelings. Yes, don't shove it in their face, but it's YOUR life, you do what you need to do.

#22 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

No, never.

By all means don't go singing from the roof tops if you do fall pregnant quickly, but you can't put your life on hold for other people. Be sensitive, be understanding if she does get upset, but there are no guarantees in life and you need to do what's right for you and your partner.

#23 Rainbow*Seeking

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

No, however it's a lovely way to think about it.
I had been TTC for nearly 8 years when a friend started and fell straight away. Never in a million years would I want her to stop her life because I couldn't fall. As life would have it our friendship isn't as close but I fell a year after she did.
You have a life OP you need to go live it.

#24 Dionysus

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nope

As someone struggling with (secondary) infertility, there is no way I would expect people around me to not TTC themselves.

I wouldn't not TTC for someone else.

My journey is not about them, theirs is not about me

#25 MoonPie

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

A very close friend of mine is a long term IVFer, and struggling in her TTC journey. She's always been very open with me about it, and tells me how she's going each stage. We talk daily.

When we were TTC I mentioned the concept once or twice, but didn't say the words "We are trying to have a baby." Telling her about our BFP was really difficult, but she took it like a trooper and was genuinely overjoyed. I could tell she was a little upset but she's been awesome.

ETA: She would have been horrified if we'd put off TTC for her sake.

Edited by Rebothy, 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.