People that have no control over eating, can you ever get on top of it.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rachaelxxx

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I've always been an emotional eater and for the most part of my life I've been overweight to some degree.  In 2009 I turned things around, I was watching my diet, I started exercising and I lost 50kgs and was down to a size 10-12 and felt fantastic  biggrin.gif .  I swore I would never ever go back to my bad eating habits  unsure.gif .  I worked too damn hard to lose that weight and I achieved those results in just under 12 months.

Fast forward to 2013 and I've gained 30kgs of that 50kgs back  mad.gif .  I just can't seem to control my food, I never have.  My main areas of lack of control are when I'm at home bored, I can just eat and eat and never seem to fill up.

This will be the first year in many years that I'm back to working 5 days a week (my youngest starts school this year).  I seem to have my eating under control when I'm working, so I'm hoping it might just sort itself out because as I said my trouble areas are being home along with my youngest.

Why is it that some people have such a healthy relationship with food and others don't.  I'm not a lazy person, I'm an attractive girl who has always taken pride in her appearance, but can never seem to get my food under control.

I almost liken it to a drug, some people are addicted to alcohol, some drugs, smoking etc., well my addiction is food and I would really love to overcome this obsession I have.

Has anyone else had issues with food and been able to get on top of it and stay on top of it.

#2 9ferals

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I can't say I'm over it but I think that at least I'm a bit more aware now of where my problem lies - with my eating behaviour, not what kind of food I eat or how much but the mental processes that lead me to eat stuff I don't need when I don't need it.  And I'm more active that I used to be so that helps a bit (though I know its absolutely food consumption that is my big problem).

Like you, I've lost weight and put some of it back on.... but I'm just trying to stay in control with my eating, and that's easier when I'm busy and have company, harder when things are quiet or I'm on my own (my husband is about to go away for 1 month for work, so this is going to be hard!)

I don't have any easy answers, but I did find this book helpful:
Eating Less by Gillian Riley. She refers to "addictive eating" and tackles the behaviours and mindsets that make us overeat.

Good luck, I hope you can find something that clicks for you.

#3 Guest_LILLIANA1_*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

A very good question, OP. I look forward to hearing others' responses.

I have the same problem. I get it under control for a while then go back to my old habits.

I also recommend Gillian Riley's book, as well as a US-based support forum and e-book called "Normal Eating for Normal Weight".

#4 Holidayromp

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Eat little often.  Instead of having three meals a day have six small ones.  When I went on my low Gi/diabetic diet I lost a heck of alot of weight because I felt full and I ended up eating more than normal but all the good stuff.  I was fuller for longer, felt great, looked great.

My poor eating stems from my childhood of not getting enough food - I won't go into it here but I have posted on another thread to do with snacking and children in this section. As a result I need to physically feel full to stop eating.  Treats are to be enjoyed in the here and now.

The low GI/diabetic diet addressed the full issues because of all the good food and regular small meals I felt full and because it was all the good foods I felt much better and coupled with exercise,as DH put it the weight fell off me.

#5 Brownbear

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yes, I got my eating under control. The book that turned it around for me was "When women stop hating their bodies" by Jane Hirschmann and Carol Munter. There is also a sequel in the same vein, "Overcoming Overeating".

I followed the steps that they laid out and have never looked back. I read it in about 2006 and haven't been over a size 10 since then (I was 2-3 sizes larger and rapidly expanding before I read it). I don't even think twice about what I eat now.

My best friend who recommended the book to me has had the same experience - she is a size 12 now, and was a 16-18 before, but the main important outcome is that we no longer obsess about eating and food.

#6 Rachaelxxx

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Brownbear, those books sound really interested, thank you.  Some days it just really gets you down.   I can wake up in the morning and start the day off with a really healthy breakfast, healthy lunch and then before you know it, it's all downhill from there  cry1.gif

#7 ubermum

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

You can control your eating OP. You did it when you lost 50kg.

Get your weight back down into the healthy zone and then throw away your fat clothes. If/when things start getting tight, you will have to be more vigilant with your habits until your clothing is more comfortable again.

I was a fat teen. When I lost weight in my 20's through stress, I decided not to go back. My jeans get tight, I get careful and cut my portions down and up the exercise.

#8 Vero80

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I hear you!! I am an emotional eater also and am struggling while pregnant not to eat too much.

I lost 30kg 3 years ago and have put 20 back on from stress of going through IVF, Im pregant now but I feel so fat and yukky.

I thinki ull have a read of those books they might help me original.gif

I hear you!! I am an emotional eater also and am struggling while pregnant not to eat too much.

I lost 30kg 3 years ago and have put 20 back on from stress of going through IVF, Im pregant now but I feel so fat and yukky.

I thinki ull have a read of those books they might help me original.gif

#9 password123

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 15/01/2013, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eat little often.  Instead of having three meals a day have six small ones.  When I went on my low Gi/diabetic diet I lost a heck of alot of weight because I felt full and I ended up eating more than normal but all the good stuff.  I was fuller for longer, felt great, looked great.

I'm glad this helped you, but it doesn't work for a lot of people. It can actually increase hunger and overeating for those with these tendencies. It's like constantly teasing yourself with small quantities of food.
There is no scientific basis for the 6 small meals a day helping you to lose weight. When you eat your food does not really matter (despite popular opinion).
What has worked for me in controlling my appetite is working out my daily calorie needs and eating them within a set period e.g. 8hrs. The rest of the time it's water. It's good for your body to know what real hunger is. My appetite has regulated itself and I'm no longer gorging myself.
It is a myth that you will burn your muscle or go into starvation mode if you don't eat every 6-8hrs. It takes at least 48-72hrs. There is a lot more science to it than I could go into now (insulin response, fat oxidation etc). Maybe some paleo girls could provide their spin on this since intermittent fasting can be part of that way of life.

Edited by Mrs_Snorks, 15 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#10 Feral timtam

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

For me the hand to mouth motion is a coping mechanism. That's what made it so hard for me to break the overeating cycle.

I've found that by swapping food for something healthier and less fattening I still have that coping crutch and I am not gaining the weight. I drink a lot of herbal teas now, the act of preparing the tea helps convince myself that it is still 'food' that I am moving to my mouth without the calories.

As I'm not actively 'dieting', just swapping snacks for tea and upping the exercise the weight isn't dropping off quickly, but it is coming off.

#11 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Rachael, mine stopped when I identified and dealt with the underlying cause. I saw a psychologist to work through the issues and I can honestly say that I have not shown a single disordered eating symptom since doing that. And she's on my speed dial, just in case I feel the need to relapse. I've been under the same level of pressure as I have been when other episodes have been triggered, but not this time.

Mind you, I'm recovering from a bulging disc which has kept me from exercising properly for the best part of two years, so I gained a lot of weight anyway. But it had nothing to do with comfort eating.

Just a quicky - are you affected by seasonal eating patterns? I live in a fairly cold place, and it does impact on my appetite. Apparently this is a normal response, and fluctuations over winter are perfectly normal for 'survival'.

#12 Ianthe

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I lost over 15kgs and gained it all back. But that was progress because I had never actually lost the weight before. Restricting too much doesn't work long term for me so I have started not snacking at night because that is when I consume the most calories. I am aiming to lose 400gms a week so I am 20kgs down by the end of the year and I hope to have made several realistic changes through the year so I can maintain it.

#13 MaeGlyn

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Yes.

I ate because my father threatened my life, my employers(who included some dear friends), lives while he was screaming ranting and throwing things at the wall. My mother then kicked me out of home and abandoned me, My supervisor at other workplace then betrayed me by not turning up to an emergency I had to deal with on my own because he was 'too tired' to get out of bed. I ended up getting PTSD as I lost my memory of most of what I just said which happened in 2 weeks. Iate to deal with it and had a BMI of obese.

I got through enough therapy and got in the good weight range again. But then 2 years after being in the healthy weight range while I was still in the healthy weight range, I got insulin dependent diabetes and ended up on insulin straight away. : ( Not sure whether it is T1 or T2.I've been in the healthy weight range for 7 years now.

Edited by MaeGlyn, 15 January 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#14 julz78

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

A good pyschologist and cognitive behavioural therapy helps original.gif

#15 melandned

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

i saw a psychologist for years and yes he helped a litte on 'why' i was eating but i didn't lose a gram
i then had the gastric sleeve op which allowed me to lose 30kg
i now am seeing new psychologists who specify in binge eating - obviously i can't binge like i could before but it's still bingeing for me (the feeling that makes you need to binge is the same)
the girls that i see are fantastic! they are new grads (so 15.00 an hour) and they have helped me SO MUCH MORE than the guy i was paying over 150.00 an hour to see

i don't know if it can be cured but in my case it's reducing all the time

good luck - it can be soul destroying can't it
xxx

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I think for some people there never will be.

I starting to come to the realization I am one of them

For this reason I am considering bariatric surgery in the form of the sleeve.
I have had a weight problem since 14 and during the 22 years since have gone up and down from a size 18 to an 8 and back up gain.

The reason I eat is many reasons.

I ADORE food. It's like a best friend.
I eat when I am sad, it cheers me up.
I eat when I am happy, it's a celebration
I eat when I am anxious, it calms me and directs my thoughts elsewhere.
I love eating alone cuddled up with a book, I love cooking and sharing a massive meal with friends.
I love savoury foods and sweet foods.
I love crappy food and fine gourmet food.

Food rocks!

I think all this chowing down has stretched my stomach so that now getting full needs more and more food to satisfy which leads to more and more weight gain.

However I can not escape the loathing I feel for my body.
Also the fears of health related medical conditions.

So I need to end this toxic relationship but don't know how!
Except surgery.

I have tried every diet and 'mind trick' imaginable.

And let's be honest, losing weight is easy, it's simple a mathmatic equation.

Keeping it if is the hard bit.

Op there is no magic guru or self help that will cure your food addiction. Which is very real as I believe I am as well.
Look at oprah Winfrey.
We have all watched her yo yo over the years as she has had the best psychologists and personal trainers that money can buy.

Plus all the latest gurus coming on her show promoting their latest books 'no diet' weight cures.
She is the self help queen!

Yet for her the battle continues.

One thing that is hard about curing a food addiction is that we can not go cold turkey.
We all need to eat!

But I am starting to think that surgery is the closes thing to going cold turkey.

And to be honest if I had the money I would book myself in tomorrow for the surgery.

#17 Feral_Pooks

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Whatever my weight is, I always have an unhealthy relationship with food. I'm not sure that's ever going to change. Even when I am in a healthy weight range, my thinking around food is distorted. My focus has been on limiting the impact of that on my physical health and on those around me, especially my son.

#18 beakie

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I can relate! I am the classic yo-yo and I hate it. About 10 years ago I joined Ww at 110kg, got down to 90ish (I'm 5'10), maintained for a couple of years, went back up. Rejoined several other times. After my youngest was born I rejoined again at 127kg, got down to about 100kg, maintained for a short while then started to slowly gain. In Mar last year I was up to 135kg, my highest ever. Was desperate. Joined a PHI with the view to surgery. My 12mth wait is almost up. Meanwhile I figured I'd ion Ww AGAIN, lost about 10 kg then stopped, maintained most of last year and in Then gave up. Instead of rejoining WW, I joined round 4 of the 12 wbt, and I have so far lost 10kg, so I'm 20kg less than this time last year.
I've found what works for me, and that's great. There will be no surgery, yay!
However, I know I have a huge way to go, I'm about 115kg now, so will be continuing with the 12wbt for a while yet, but the issue remains, how do I keep it off long term?
This is my biggest fear, I'm too old for this crap. Afaik, losing weight is the easy bit.
Keeping it off is the killer....

#19 snuffles

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Okay, i don't really belong here - the only time I've been overweight was during pregnancy, and later once due to a medical condition.

But I am conscious of what I eat, and when, and how much, and I think that is a big key.  For my body - I have to allow it to feel hungry, for a while (even a few hours) in order to keep on top of my weight.  For me it isn't a calorie equation, it is all listening to the body.  You need to learn and/or remember what being physically hungry actually feels like, and allow it to be for a while, to be sure it really is physical hunger.  Then I satisfy my hunger with healthy foods (usually - treats are ok sometimes).  A glass of milk and a banana is my favourite combination.  If I still feel physically hungry 30 minutes after eating those, I eat something else (eg toast with peanut butter).  I also have to realise when I am satisfied - not full, just satisfied.  The growly tummy is gone and sometimes I feel a bit sleepy as well - for my body, that is me being satisfied.  Then I stop eating, but drink water a lot.

Another, simpler piece of advice that I follow is, "You don't have to count calories if you eat nothing but wholefoods" - cut out anything processed, and you are well on your way.

I don't know if any of this will help you but perhaps it will help someone reading this?

#20 medion

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I read a really amazing book called Brain Over Binge - I was out of control when I started reading it and before I'd even finished the book I just stopped emotionally eating. It was quite bizarre actually.

It has crept back in a little, but nowhere near what it was - I think I need to read the book again!

#21 credence

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm the same as you Rachaelxxx.

I have just read Sweet Poison and have started to quit sugar. After a couple of weeks of this I seem to have my eating under control. I don't feel hungry, I don't snack. I eat 3 modest meals a day full of proteins, fat and carbs and I'm losing weight.

Quitting sugar resets your appetite to going back to doing what it's meant to do - which is telling us when we're full and when we're supposed to stop eating. The fructose component in sugar is responsible for messing with your own built in ability to control your appetite.

There's a lot of information out there. Get the book or check out the website http://sweetpoison.com.au/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.