Organising your house for hospital stay/early days

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Beancat

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hi Everyone

What are your plans/tips/ideas for organising your house/life/older kids for when you are in hospital and the early days.  This is my third baby and I do things differently each time.   This time my plans so far are:

Do a big grocery shop before I go into hospital

Have my Dad and Stepmum stay for the first two nights with DS and DD while DP stay s ith me in hospital

Have  about 10 meals in the freezer

Purchase 2 boxes of newborn nappies

Have the house clean and decluttered

All bottles and feeding equipment clean and sterilised

Make sure DP puts clean sheets on the bed when i get home

I am also in the process of organsing our finances as we are now on one income.  I have recently refinanced our mortgage and fixed it for 2 years, cancelled my gym membership (that I have not been using), started shopping at Aldi and meal planning, taking DS out of CC and putting him in the council 4yo kinder and am in the process of trying to get a better deal on our electricity.

Would love to hear your ideas for organising your home and family in preparation for those early days.

ETA: I am having a c-section so some of the planning is easier as I can plan around a definite date

cheers

Kirsty

Edited by Beancat, 15 January 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#2 Natttmumm

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

I haven't really planned all that is I'm waiting till bub arrives (no csection). I have all the items etc but food wise I've done nothing. Maybe I should

#3 RachealJane

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have a small group of friends that have organised to cook us meals for the first 2 weeks. But I will also make sure we have a few frozen dinners ready myself too. Hubby is having 4 weeks off and likes to cook so I reckon we'll be right food wise.

I'm planning on a 4 hour discharge so will be back home so no one has to look after DD as hubby will be able to.
But if I have to stay our DD will be at the birth anyway so i'll just send hubby home with her.

I've been doing the 20 day challenge to clean and organise your home and I plan to re-do it back to back until bub is here. It will be quicker and easier each time I do it. But its such a great list to stick to... I like lists Tounge1.gif

I think I might get my mum to cone stay for the week when hubby goes back to work. I really think my biggest challenge is going to be DD, she gets bored so easily and we usually go to a park or something everyday so I reckon it would be best to have someone else here to play with until I'm sure I can start taking her back to playgroup etc.

#4 Blossom73

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I'm hoping to have the following done before bubs arrives:

Have made some meals for the freezer: (pasta sauce, lasagna, soup, spinach pie)
Done a big grocery shop for staples for the pantry
Have 2 boxes of newborn nappies, and 1 box of infant size in the house
Done the washing of bubs clothes
Set up bassinet in our room
Have the house spring cleaned (we are currently under going renos, so it will need it)

My parents will be coming and staying with us from OS for 2 months to help out, so that will definitely be good.

I am not sure how long I will stay in the hospital - I stayed 2 days last time,  and then had midwives visit me at home for a few days which was great.

#5 countrychic29

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

will be watching this thread with interest...
first baby here and no idea what im in for! original.gif
Apart from cooking plenty of meals to freeze and organizing the house somewhat i cant say i have thought too much about it.
Bub is due the week before DH's final year exams (didnt expect to fall pg first go again) so i dare say i will be doing a bit by myself in the first couple of weeks - with help from mum and BFF - my MIL has very limited mobility so unfortunately is unable to help out.

#6 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

This is my first so I am just going off what I have read on EB over the years (all that stalking paid off biggrin.gif ) and I don't have other kids to worry about (though I do have a dog that will need some attention)

I have got a list of things that need doing before the baby gets here and they have a date that they need to be done by (even down to the fact the couch needs to be steamed clean and re scotch guarded) Between now and the 1st of May this will all happen (the last thing is on the 1st of May which if I go early isn't a big deal as I can get this done whilst I am at home with the baby)

I plan on being orgainsed by 26th March and then it is just a matter of retraining DH to put things away, however the fact that I am home and not rushing in the door at 7pm to try and stick dinner on and eat by a decent hour and then leaving in the morning at 7am will probably help with the clothes and crap that we leave laying around.

Generally we put our left overs into the freezer anyway and take them for lunch so there is a good stock pile there and for my birthday I got a slow cooker so making healthy meals and extras is soooo much easier then it used to be. I also suspect that my very nice mum and MIL will bring me a meal or two. Also DH is not a total clutz in the kitchen if we are talking about spag bog, chicken wings, stuff you get from lenoards, BBQ meats or roasts in the BBQ. Plus having the slow cooker will hopefully mean I can put something on in the morning.

I orgainsed the finances about this time last year, it has had a bit of tweeking but at the time I also did a budget for when we had a baby (I had to make sure we could actually afford one and yay we could) It had $100 splush fund for each of us, (at present it is much higher) we have started doing this already as I said to DH he will get a shock come May.  It has also meant that the amount that we used to have as splush fund each is going into buying the baby products and ensuring we are in front on our bills mortgage so we don't have to hit our savings.

I am hoping my sister will not be on placement when we have the bub or will be on placement down my way so she can stay at our place and look after the dog (I am also 100% sure this will save her petrol as I suspect she will be in at all visiting hours every chance she gets and she lives a fair bit away from me) as DH will probably just stay with me in the hospital, we are trying to figure out whether or not to have his leave start when the baby is born or have him go back to work (but stay at the hospital overnight) and then start after I am home. Not sure, our hospital is very hands on in showing you things and being there and teaching you so not sure whether DH will benefit from this.

#7 sarkazm76

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Oh god too many things.  I emailed a massive list to DH last week and asked him to try and do one thing a week - I don't think he even read it.  
Cooking - yes, stockpiling for sure.  Also having someone come spring clean late April.  Our whole house needs clearing out and organising - there is just crap everywhere and it needs rectifying!!!  A lot of the stuff on the list we don't have money to do anyway.  Having the upstairs where we actually live, clean and tidy and organised is the main thing though.

#8 Satay chicken

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have not thought that far ahead...  sad.gif

However, I was reading a site recently on this and one of the main things to do for a few weeks after baby comes home was to buy paper plates, bowls and plastic knives and forks - throw away after each use, no washing up!!!

Edited by Satay chicken, 15 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#9 purple_daisy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Last time I found it was a life saver getting groceries home delivered, as some days you really aren't able to muster the energy to shower/dress and go shopping with bub.
So this time when I hit 36 weeks we are doing a very large shop at aldi for all the non-perishables like toilet paper, tissues, shampoo, dog biscuits, pasta and frozen items - as it gets very costly getting all of these from coles. Then once the bub arrives we'll have a few months of home delivery to make it easier.
If you have never done home delivery before, I recommend signing up early and you can save a master list of your fave brands/products which makes it easy when you need to do the shopping a little bit sleep deprived in the future.

Also for those with planned c-sections don't forget to pamper yourself a day or so earlier with a nice shampoo and blowdry so you look nice in the pics. I definitely plan on doing this, as it will be much harder with a baby!

Also this isn't really about the house, but we'll be getting the camera stuff organised well in advance - extra sets of batteries, extra memory card if necessary, new photo album ready.

#10 RachealJane

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Oh I love the idea of paper plates etc biggrin.gif

#11 opethmum

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Please enlist those who you trust to maintain your home and mucked in and helped you clean up things in the past. The last thing you want to do is clean up after people who have treated your place like a hotel and you are the maid coming to clean and service them once you get out of hospital. If you have your Dad and Step Mum come stay, let them on no uncertain terms it is not a hotel where they get to cuddle the newborn and you expect the place clean and tidy when you are out of hospital and you expect them to wash up and muck in where needed.
Pre cook meals in freezer and you can eat of disposable plates for a little while. Do a big load of sheets and towels before going in and have fresh sheets ready for you to come home to helps too. Also a good vacuum helps too!

#12 sarkazm76

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Actually here - take a look at the list I sent DH original.gif  This was eveyrthing that didn't have a set time fram of the next 2 weeks:

Other
Tidy up outside – put wheelbarrow and contents away in shed/ stuff on front verandah
Clear out shed and ditch bikes and sh*t
Sort out all the other un-actioned crap that was dumped downstairs
Sort out actually the entire downstairs area including all cupboards
Super glue all upstairs doors where coming apart
Research proper mold treatment for bathroom
Lay cushioning over broken tiles in bathroom
Clean the wall behind the toilet
Move couch and old dining table downstairs.
Bring black rug upstairs
Buy blackboard paint and paint wall for Zach
Work out what to do with mirror in spare room – prob have to go downstairs
Sort and wash all baby toys.
Get rid of all baby toys from your friend that are gross and we never used.
Make sure baby capsule and bouncer are clean – wash if necessary and use vinegar and dry in sun.
Wash 2 more pillows upstairs
Wash all sheets/ doona cover on bed downstairs
If we’re not going to use the Roomba we should sell it maybe
Throw out stick vacuum – isn’t it ****ed?
Probably put Geoff’s speakers on footpath for someone to take original.gif
Recharge all remote control cars so mummy can play with them
Order GTA5 (Grand Theft Auto 5) from EB Games for mummy.
Think about a better place for our charging station!!! Maybe on my desk?
Clean the stairs
Pressure clean – front of house cobwebs and green stuff and anything else that needs doing
Arrange carpet cleaning and get price for full house spring clean in April and quote for pests
Fix door frame under stairs (termite damage)
Bring footstool that goes with glider upstairs
Put garbage bags over Xmas tree so it's "stored" for next year.
Go through DH’s things down stairs – helmets/ tools etc – what can go?  What’s really needed?  Can we store better?
Laundry cupboards clean out.
En-suite is not for head shaving and drill charging - CLEAN UP.
Change blown lightbulbs.
Clean windows
Put window tint on – maybe get one of your mates to help with that.
Cost external door for laundry
Cost screen for front door
Stain/ treat front veranda?
Go through all Zach’s toys again and think about putting some of them away as “not played with anymore”
Get rid of all the empty dog food bags
Should we get rid of that spiky plant?  Zach nearly poked his eye on it the other day.  Keep the pot.
Nail down the railing in back far corner of back deck
Take down and throw out the fairy lights out the back
Put screen in window of spare room – get new screen if needed (price first)
Move dog house around back
Get rid of MTL shipping case!
Get rid of all the leaves under the frangipani and along the retaining wall under the deck – it’s a frickin mess.
Clean up Pepper’s straw and re-lay it for her.
Throw out some of Peppers crap (toys).
Wash out at least one bucket and put in laundry as “not-a-dog-poo” bucket
Throw out the plant in the laundry and all the rubbish!

So now you see what I mean biggrin.gif

#13 peppergemm

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Omg I have a big list! Move ds into his new room, get said new room ready, paint new room, move everything out of ds new room cupboard to god knows where, then paint ds old room and set up as nursery, paint it, wash baby clothes, cook and freeze meals, spring clean house, get ds used to sleeping in his new bed, buy said new bed. Ummmmmm, get capsule for pram, get pram adaptor so can have double. Just a few things omg!oh and find a bassinet to borrow from someone. Sterilise bottles. Find bottles.
Ill have 4 nights in hospital (can't wait to have a buzzer and all my meals brought to me!) Mum will come and stay at home with ds so Dh can come and stay in hospital. But the last night dh will stay at home so at least one of us gets a full nights sleep! Once I'm home do having a week off, then my mum will come back for a week then I'm on my own with the 2 kidlets! ohmy.gif
A few tips from what I can remember from last time for the new mummies:- if you breast feed you'll be amaaaazed at how hungry you get! So have lots of healthy snacks prepared before birth. If you don't eat enough you get even more tired.- I'd recommend hubby to take time off work from birth and during hospital time if he can. It can be a very emotional (and awesome) time and even though the midwives are fabulous and very hands on not the same as having hubby wub.gif
I better get cracking!

#14 RachealJane

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I forgot about snacks!
After a couple of weeks breastfeeding I realised I needed constant snacks on hand so made up two containers of snacks, one in the loungeroom and one in bubs room with a drink bottle of water at each feeding spot too. I just bought muesli bars and things like that.
A month or so in I would make a date and walnut loaf each week to eat as a snack too, yum!

#15 Bluemakede

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I've got a small list of things in my head that need to be done. I pretty much live between my parents house and DH's, though atm my parents are on extended holiday so more their house. They are coming back mid may, so just before baby is due, and I'll be staying put for minimum first 2 weeks post baby.

Because I'll be with my parents I don't need to worry about meals etc, and even at DH's well he knows how to cook to (and goes does groceries often on his own), so shouldn't have any issues there. Same with cleaning, I know my mum will clean mostly, so I'll only have minimum to do. The only time I'm looking to pre-cook things is for my prac which will be from 33 - 37 weeks, and I'm sure I'll be to stuffed after finishing shifts to make food for dinner or stuff to take for lunch lol.

My biggest thing is to get both houses deep spring cleaned before I start uni again (deadline is 25th February). And then just maintain between now and may. There is so much stuff to sort through and chuck and pack away properly (my dad is a minor hoarder lol, though I don't he'll miss half the stuff I am planning to chuck). I've managed to get through only 2 rooms so far (laziness kicks in often lol).

I want to have baby clothes, wraps, any sewing things purchased or done by end march, though we're planning to run on bare minimum with clothes etc till winter is over (and simple too, just coveralls for winter, want warmth + ease for changing and the clothes to not ride up). Will be getting 2 boxes of newborn nappies closer to the date, and will wash everything ready for wear early may.

Baby furniture, pram, car seat we're planning to buy end of march, so will start looking at how I want my room set up with the bassinette and where to keep the baby clothes and other things. Will probably install car seat in may.

I need to check with my primary convener about whether I'll need/be granted special considerations for uni assignments or exams at end of semester (I'm due on the last day of classes, so good chance I'll have a < 1 week old for exam period). I'm not going to try to extend exams if I can help it though, if I can sit for 2 hours when the exam is on I'll do it straight away.

#16 starfire

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I aim to have done or organise;
  • hospital bag to be packed by 30 weeks and in car with emergency list/phone numbers for support persons prepared and DH prepped
  • baby clothes and nappies to be washed and hung/folded ready to use 4 weeks before birth
  • full clean and mop of house to ensure house is spotless and easy to maintain leading up to baby's birth
  • freezer full of homecooked meals (My mum will help me with this one) by end of March
  • I also plan on doing a full grocery shop to ensure house is well stocked with groceries and essentials so we won't have to worry about ducking out to the shops but I won't worry too much as DH plans on being home and we can use online shopping if we need
  • DH is on strict instructions to make sure the house including toliets are clean and spotless and bed is freshly made when I come home otherwise I will go berserk ph34r.gif  blush.gif (I might discreetly organise something with my mum to see if she can pop in to make sure things are going well at home while I am in hospital)
  • I need to arrange for our dogs to be looked after - my parents have suggested that they have the dogs at their house while I am in hospital so I will need to contact them and work out a plan
  •   I plan on buying at least one box of disposable nappies even though I am using cloth as I have been told that it might be easier to use disposable when baby is newly born and then move over to cloth when you are ready as the first few weeks can be a bit trying
I think that's all I am going to worry about as I have mostly got the baby's room organised already blush.gif and have done a big clean out of the house - got rid of useless crap etc, it is just the little things like keeping the house clean and buying food, cooking and packing bags for the hospital that I can't just do yet so will do that closer to March.

ETA: I need to organise baby paperwork with centrelink about parenting payments if we are entitled and also baby bonus payments as well

Thanks Blossom73 for listing having car seat installed - I forgot about that too! I need to see about hiring a capsule.

Edited by starfire, 16 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#17 Blossom73

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I forgot a major one on my list - have car seat installed by 35 weeks!

#18 premmie_29weeks

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

The usual big non perishable shop, and lots of freezing of meals for the early days. Organise a standing order for home delivered groceries, this takes time to set up initially but works well for the first few months. Wash, fold and put away all baby clothes, set up cot and linen. A Cole of boxes of newborn nappies and wipes etc. dig out bassinet attachment for stroller, and hire and install capsule.

The other thing I did before ds2 was buy and put away ds1's full winter wardrobe in advance, ds2 was born early march so there would be no time to run to target on the first cold day of the year original.gif. I also wrote Dh a quick list of the basics of keeping house running, like daycare hours, what needed to go in the bag, times and addresses for swimming lessons, gymbaroo etc so he knew the schedule the week I was in hospital.

After birth I did a huge clean out of our wardrobes...that was a huge cull including all old Bub clothes, girls clothes(I have two boys) and all my old work gear...

#19 Jaffacakes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Oh dear *buries head in sand*

I do have the carseat installed though biggrin.gif

#20 Satay chicken

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 15/01/2013, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clear out shed and ditch bikes and sh*t

laugh.gif

#21 Beancat

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Wow some of yoiu have massive lists.  There is no way I could set myself a huge list.  I'd just fail and feel crap about it!

I have culled a fair bit of crap already.  If I look at where the house is now compared to about 6 weeks ago its a massive improvement.  Things are fairly under control.  Just need to assemble a wardrobe in the back room for storage.

I am so slack this time.  Not even setting up a room for bub at this stage.  She will stay in our room and we'll use all the nursery things in DDs room.  Once she is about 6 months we'll move DD down the back and new DD into the nursery.

#22 MrsLexiK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Satay chicken @ 15/01/2013, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not thought that far ahead... sad.gif

However, I was reading a site recently on this and one of the main things to do for a few weeks after baby comes home was to buy paper plates, bowls and plastic knives and forks - throw away after each use, no washing up!!!

That is such an awesome idea, but is it really really lazy to do this if I have a dishwasher?

QUOTE (starfire @ 16/01/2013, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
  • I need to arrange for our dogs to be looked after - my parents have suggested that they have the dogs at their house while I am in hospital so I will need to contact them and work out a plan

Sorry to be a precher original.gif if you can it is best to have someone come in and feed them and let them in and out then moving them to another place for the time you are in hospital.  Also download some baby noises and play them on your ipod/mp3/cd really loud and watch to see how they react.  Some of the noises make my dog run away, we have a baby gate on order so he can run away to his safe place and not be disturbed when the noises get too much for him.

This is my list:

Study
Book case for cook books 8th Feb
Filing cabinet 8th Feb
Move Gym into middle of room 14th Feb

Spare Room
Move TV unit into corner 14th Feb
Hook up TV 14th Feb
Remove doors from room 14th of Feb
Remove computer - move all info from computer on to external hardrive 20th Jan move DVD's into TV unit/place current storage of DVDs under desk in spare room 14th Feb

Nursery
move gym and TV unit out 14th Feb
Cut doorway into the room 3rd of March
Paint wall 16th March
Assemble cot etc 23rd March
Apply decals and leave spot for name frame 23rd March
Move bags and scarfs to front wardrobe 3rd Feb
Put extra dinning set away 3rd of March

Walk in Robe
Move shoes to front wardrobe 6th of Feb
Rearrange wardrobe 3rd of March

Linen Press
Re-arrange 24th Feb

Dinning Room
move pool table out the back 2nd March (buy material and vinyl for it and straps to keep it tight)
pack away and move and rip up carpet 8th of March
paint/polish do effect on concret 15th March
Move everything back in 21st March

Lounge Room
get couch steam cleaned 12th April
scotsh guard couch 19th April
lay carpet 22nd August

Our Room
hang TV on wall 1st May 2013

Hallway
hang wedding photos Feb 14th

Oh and sit on the phone for 90 minutes to centrelink as I had the CRN number and password to do the paperwork online saved into my old phone in the notes section.  The bloody stupid iphone peice of poo died so now I have no idea what my CRN is and need to waste half my day finding out.

I did realise after I had done my spreadsheet (there is like a bizziollon tabs for all sorts of things, "things to buy", people to tell etc.) that as long as we could get in to our room (which we will be able to do via the baby's room) then we could wait to do the flooring in the lounge room (the lounge comes off our main doorway)

Edited by MrsLexiK, 17 January 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#23 sarkazm76

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Something else I just thought of - maybe not for hospital bag but for at home - Lasinoh for your sore nipples!!

#24 theweehaggis

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

put a shower cap in your hoapital bag... you may have loads of showers in hospital and dont want to have wet hair the whole stay - or have to use a hair drier all the time... most importantly... if you have a shower whilr in labour, the last thing you want to do is dry your hair... and it can be so sticky/cold and uncomfey having wet hair through labour - talkibg from experiance!! A shower cap is quick and easy!

#25 Beancat

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Sarkazm - def rec the Lansinoh for hospital if you are likely to be there for a few days.
Another thing I can highly highly recommend is these cool gel nipple stick on things.  They are about $7 a packet (I think for about 10 or 12) and they completely sooth your nipples immediately.  They were not around when I had DS but I used them with DD and they were fantastic.

Progress so far on the house - have decluttered and sorted all rooms except for study, our room and spare bedroom.  Have done our WIR so bedroom should take all of about 15 mins and have also started the study and spare room.    My big news is I have booked a cleaner for 4 hours on tuesday.  She is doing bathrooms/toilets, mop and vac whole house, dust and then wipe things like powerpoints/lightswitches/window frames/skirting boards  and give the whole kitchen a good wipe down.    Oh and dust 4 bookshelves, cant wait

Once the cleaning is done, DP needs to assemble new robe in spare room and then I think we are done on the cleaning.  Just need to start cooking, but wont do that until the last 4 weeks so things dont get freezer burn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.