Crating for separation anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I had to leave Bickie alone for about 3 hours today. I left her outside with a pig ear, a rawhide chew and her breakfast kibble scattered over the lawn. When I returned, she was hysterical. I waited 10 minutes or so until she had calmed down and stopped barking etc before I acknowledged her and let her in for a pat. After 15 minutes of her still being a loon, I sat down and patted her and it took another 15-20 minutes to calm her down properly and stop her heart racing. The biggest problem is she hurt her hind leg while I was out. sad.gif

I have to leave her for about 2 hours on Wednesday morning and about an hour on Thursday. Next week, she'll need to be on her own for 2-3 hours 3 times. Once school is back, i will need to leave her for 1 hour twice a day at the bare minimum. I'm worried she'll hurt herself again. Should I try to crate her with a treat (pig ear or similar) while I'm out? She sleeps in the crate no dramas overnight, but only if I'm there (it's in our bedroom). If I walk out of the room while she's awake, she starts barking and digging at the door. If I sneak out while she's asleep, she wakes up and stands and whimpers quietly until I return and then settles down and goes back to sleep straight away.  

Do I keep leaving her outside or should I start trying to crate her during the day? When I'm home and she's outside, she will now happily to and explore the yard while I'm inside, so she is comfortable out there.

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

The standard training method for reducing anxiety when you leave involves practicing leaving for very short periods, and rewarding her when you return for good behaviour.

For example, you start by exiting the door, and then immediately returning. When she's quiet and relaxed, she gets a treat.

Little by little, you extend the amount of time you spend on the other side of the door, until she no longer shows concern about you leaving.

I'd start doing this, and leave her outside. Its not for long, and hopefully she'll have enough to occupy her.

Unless you have another reason to crate her, I'd try this method first.

My only concern is that she may try to bust out of her crate, and injure herself in the process. I also think its time to move the crate out of your bedroom and into another part of the house. You need to be able to get up and down without her chucking tanties, and that isn't going to happen if she can watch your every move. Although you've gotten some peace, it is still reinforcing her issues about you to some extent, because you are right there.

#3 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Spikey. original.gif

I've been trying with the short fake leavings, but it's hard with all 4 kids home. Only 2 more weeks and the big 3 are back at school 5 days/kindy 4 days. It will be easier to practice more dry runs then. She's figured out that if I pretend to leave but the kids are still inside, I'm not really going. rolleyes.gif she's way too smart for only 4 months!

I have a random little alcove where the linen cupboard is where I'd like to put her crate. It's kind of on the other side of the lounge room from my bedroom, but the couch blocks all visual. Should I just try moving it there cold turkey or should I move it over gradually?

(oh, and I'll put her kong in the freezer tonight, all loaded up for the morning. Plus a pig ear and a chicken wing and hopefully she'll be ok.)

#4 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Just go cold turkey.

Do you have a cover for her crate? My three have covers that block the view from all but the front. Very swish and den like. It also might provide some reassurance, as she's not just 'out there', IYKWIM? Pics of mine are in the crate training thread.

Giggling at her working out you're not really leaving. laughing2.gif

Sounds like she will have some food time to occupy her for your brief foray out into the world. Mine would like to be invited around thanks....

(Wednesday is bone day at our house - each dog gets a smoked bone and they cart them around for a few more days before junior wolf destroys/eats them all)

#5 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Spikey!

I've moved her crate into the dining room today, as she spends most of her time inside in there. She seems quite happy and spent about an hour in there chewing on treats and toys with the door open. I didn't buy the proper cover because I suspected she would eat it, but I have a giant bath sheet/towel over it. It's in a corner now too, so nice and cosy for her.

This morning went quite well. She was getting all anxious and barking as I was getting the kids ready to go, but my mum was here this morning so I got her to put them in the car while I fed Bickie. I scattered a handful of kibble over the backyard, gave her a chicken wing and left a pig ear on her outside bed. There was no barking when we actually left and she didn't run to the side gate to watch us leave (and bark like crazy) like usual. After I dropped the little one at daycare, I drove down the street behind our house with the windows down to see if she was barking but I couldn't hear a thing. original.gif That was about 10-15 minutes after we left, so I think that's a good sign. When we got home, she was quiet but started barking at the back door as soon as she realized it was me that had pulled into the driveway. She settled down much quicker today (I ignore her until she stops barking and sits quietly outside the back door) and she came in for a cuddle and to explore her new crate location. So, all in all, I think it was fairly successful. original.gif

It's strange, she shows no other anxious behaviours at all. Loud/strange noises don't bother her (if she even notices, she just goes into "gun dog stance" while she tries to figure out what it was), strange sights (like umbrellas opening suddenly right in front of her) don't bother her etc. She just doesn't like to be on her own.

#6 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I suspect from what you've been telling me, that the real source of her anxiety is that she's been used to having her mum and litter mates around, so being 'on her own' is new and a bit scary.

Over time, and will rewarding the good behaviour, it should pretty much disappear. original.gif

#7 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I hope so Spikey. If she was anxious in other scenarios, it would be different, but she's a very confident puppy - as long as her people are with her. She got all barky when I was getting reasy to take the kids to go and pick the little one up from daycare. I gave her some kibble in a milk bottle (she loves this) and again, she happily stayed on the deck playing with it rather than barking when we actually left. When we got back, she was quiet again until she realized we were home. So I think she's going to be ok too. original.gif

I've got a few appointments coming up for the boys over the next few weeks that will mean she'll be alone for 3-5 hours at a time. I'm a little bit nervous about she'll cope with them, but hopefully with lots of toys and bones/chews etc, she'll be ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.