Scantily clad Katy Perry picture at 7yo girls birthday party
what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 bryce's-mummy

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

What- A 7 year old girls birthday party.
Theme- Candy/Katy Perry
Setup- lolly table set up with jars of lollies and cake
Pictured on the wall behind the table- http://www.katyperry.com/wp-content/files_...edreamcover.JPG] from her album with the words 'teenage dream'.

WDYT? Appopriate for a 7 year old girls birthday party?

Edited- sorry was having problems with the link- should be fixed now original.gif

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 14 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#2 Ianthe

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

That link won't work for me. But I presume it is her lying on the cloud? If so then not appropriate but that image is everywhere (it must be if I know about it!) so not so shocking. But now I would like to do a huge sexualisation of girls rant as that is her target audience etc etc etc but I am tired.

Wouldn't pink and candy be enough of a theme for a 7yo?

#3 Ritaroo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

No. No no no no no. Totally inappropriate. But to put it in context, I have been called a prude before so my opinion might not be the best one.

#4 HollyOllyOxenfree

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Was it the only Katy Perry poster? I would find that a bit odd because there are surely plenty of other posters of her if they want a Katy Perry theme. I don't really have a major issue with it because I'm a bit meh about nudity, but I would find it a bit strange if that was the only picture chosen. If it was one of many I don't think I'd care.

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 14 January 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#5 Laborious Nicety

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

No way is that appropriate!

#6 fancie

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

It's a nude photo where you can see less of her body than you would if she was in a bikini on the beach.

Not a problem for me.

What if they had a framed print like this on the wall?

http://www.zazzle.com.au/mermaid_by_jw_wat...225829231654479

Edited by fancie, 14 January 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

As DH just said "they're the kind of pictures you buy magazines for" (accept no one buys magazines anymore).

I don't see why it is necessary to display such a poster at a kids party.

#8 Lolpigs

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

No. Mostly because of what she stands for.

#9 julz78

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I think it is fine, I don't think its a sexual picture it reminds more of the classical cherubs in clouds type art than anything dirty. You can't see anything so I am okay with it.

#10 mumto4boys

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

It's not something I'd use as a party theme but if I saw it at a 7 year old party I'd think, wow that kid must love Katy Perry. I honestly wouldn't read any more into it than that.

Showing my age, but as a ten year old I loved Skyhooks. I sure as hell didn't understand the lyrics to their songs and I didn't notice the bulging packages in the satin pants of the band members. The sexual images didn't register at all. I just liked the music.

I think at 7 most little girls would just love singing along to her songs in a similar way.

#11 Roxi

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

No way in hell would I be happy with that. It is not just the nudity, but it is a highly sexually suggestive.

#12 opethmum

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Look her daughter maybe a huge Katy Perry fan and there are limited posters out there that she releases for sale and maybe that was the best one. Her mother may have searched for a more appropriate one but there probably wasn't so to keep a birthday girl from chucking a tanty just got that one.
Just chill and relax, I know it probably wasn't ideal but just enjoy that you child was invited to a party and there are countless children out there who are dying to be invited to one at all.

#13 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Meh.

#14 r8chl79

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I would have chosen a different picture myself, but I wouldn't really be that bothered about it.

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Lolpigs @ 14/01/2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. Mostly because of what she stands for.

what does she stand? Genuinely curious, because I don't follow pop music at all

#16 Oriental lily

No not appropriate.

It's got nothing to do with nudity or how popular she is or if it's an image commonly in circulation.

She is posing for one reason and one reason alone.

To look sexually provocative.

And that should not be the backdrop to a 7 years olds birthday.
What a silly 'theme'.

So sad that little girls childhoods are getting shorter and shorter sad.gif .
All I could think about when I was 7 was horses and puppies.

Luckily my 9 year old is similar.

#17 YodaTheWrinkledOne

not ideal, but I wouldn't be getting worked up about it either.

#18 HollyOllyOxenfree

QUOTE (Roxi @ 14/01/2013, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No way in hell would I be happy with that. It is not just the nudity, but it is a highly sexually suggestive.

My bold. How? She's nude and lying on a cloud with her mouth partially open. I'd actually consider it one of the less suggestive pictures of Katy Perry. And I have a filthy mind

#19 Canberra chick

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I would be a bit taken aback if I saw that at a child's birthday party! Not suitable IMO.

#20 censura carnero

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Totally inappropriate. Why are people in such a hurry to make their children grow up and expose them to such sexualised images? While they may might not have an issue with it they should at least think of their guests who may.

#21 la di dah

This one would be a lot less weird to me

#22 bryce's-mummy

QUOTE (opethmum @ 14/01/2013, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look her daughter maybe a huge Katy Perry fan and there are limited posters out there that she releases for sale and maybe that was the best one. Her mother may have searched for a more appropriate one but there probably wasn't so to keep a birthday girl from chucking a tanty just got that one.
Just chill and relax, I know it probably wasn't ideal but just enjoy that you child was invited to a party and there are countless children out there who are dying to be invited to one at all.

I'm not agreeing nor am I disagreeing with this pic- I am just interested in what people think. My children weren't invited to this party. wink.gif

#23 Oriental lily

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Her lips partially open says it all!

I am prudish compared to some but even the most liberal person should be able to interpret  a come **** me look if they see it?

#24 fancie

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Maybe her mouth is open because she is just about to grab a gobful of that yummy fairy floss she's surrounded by - I know I would!

Edited by fancie, 14 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#25 Oriental lily

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Much more appropriate la di dah.

Even though I still think weird theme.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.