My Sister stole the name I have had my heart set on for my first female child...

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 ashlie369

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Am I a horribly selfish person for being upset that my sister stole the name I have had my heart set on for over 6 years?
I have been planning on naming my first girl child Lillianna for over 6 years, I can't even begin to describe how much I love this name and this is the only name that I have found that I love all the nick names that come with the name, and its so perfect for my child because my favorite flowers have always been lilies.
When my sister first got married the one thing I asked/begged of her was that whatever she did to please not steal that name if she got pregnant before I did, then when we found out she was pregnant I said the same thing to both her and her husband. Though, of course in the end she decided that she’s going to name the child Lillian Raeann. When she first started talking about using the name Lillian we had one small disagreement in which I begged her again to not use the name, I never even raised my voice during the whole discussion but since then she has blown that whole thing out of the water and now says we were arguing etc.

Then last night we went to the grocery store together with  our mother and I was being quiet, I wasn’t being p*ssy or anything I just  really didn’t really feel like talking, which is normal for me I am not a  talkative person, but of course her overly sensitive self decided I was being  b**chy, and when my mom asked her how she was going to spell her child’s middle  name, she spelled it for her then said, in the sh*ttiest tone you can imagine, something like “Is that why Ashlie’s  acting like that because she wanted Raeann for her child’s middle name as  well?” ( I’m not sure I got every word in the right spot but that’s pretty accurate)  I was actually very proud of myself I stopped myself from telling her that,  that is the stupidest name I have ever heard of and I despise it and I would  never be caught dead naming my child that.   Sorry to any Raeanns’ out there its not that bad of a name, but its not a name I would choose and the way she said it was very sh*tty and that was my  automatic response.

Even though I was going to add an extra NA to her name she  still took the name I was planning on naming my first girl, and I am hurt  because I have continuously begged her over the years not to use that name and  the few times I have tried to talk to my mother about it she has freaked out on  me and basically told me I am being selfish and I can still name my first girl  Lillianna because they aren’t the same name, etc., etc. Of course I CANT name  my first girl Lillianna it is the same name just with an extra NA at the end,  and Lillian was what I wanted her main nick name to be. So how in the heck  could I give my child her cousins name?

I have already made myself deal with losing the name but I  would like to at least be able to vent at least once about how my  sister doing that hurt my feelings but every time I try to talk to my mom she  has made me feel like a horrible person for being upset about it, so my  question is am I really such a horrible person for being upset about this? And  why the heck does my mom insist that I can still use the name? What would you  do if you were in this situation? How many of you would still use the same  name?       
To answer some of your questions, My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant, my sister is almost 7 months along with a girl. She wanted to name her Kaitlynn Ann at first in honnor of our youngest sister who died while being born and our mother and me who both have the middle name ann(e), but her husband didnt like that name and talked her back into using Lillian. For the record I have not made a fuss about it I talked to her that once about it when she was 2 months along and havent said anything else to her on the subject, she was the one who said something about it last night out of the blue. I love her to much to hate her or hold a grudge I am just hurt especially with her saying sh*tty things to me.

Edited by ashlie369, 14 January 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#2 Starrydawn

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Tough one in that no one owns a name. Are you pregnant or Ttc? Or us it still just a futuristic thing? Have you outright asked your sister why she chose that name? What has her answer been previously when you asked to just not use it?

Myself personally think there are millions of names out there and I would find another.

#3 Kickingitcountry

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I would still use the name but I'm like that happy.gif your sister sounds like the type of person who will chuck a fit when you do I'm sure she won't like it when the shoe is on the other foot rolleyes.gif . Don't stress your future partner might not like said name anyway so you might not be able to use it

Edited by Kickingitcountry, 14 January 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#4 KACM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't see why you can't use the name. They would be cousins, not sisters. It may even become a lovely connection between them.

#5 crackles

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

It happens. If I were u I wouldn't have said anything in the first place about the name then they probably wouldn't have ever thought of it. And if they happened to fluke on it it's not their fault.

U can still use u're name for ur girl if u have one otherwise just name her something else. Nothing else u can do really

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

My BIL has the exact same name as one of his cousins, so I'd still use it.

#7 protart roflcoptor

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

So she stole it from you, which must mean you owned it. How much did it cost you, you could ask her to pay it back?

Oh...wait.....

#8 tel2

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

i know how you feel. My DH cousin who lives half way across the world (who I never met) named his little girl the name I was planning for my second child. My second child turned out to be a boy so i got over it pretty quickly, but before finding out I was having a boy, I was upset about the name thing. I've never met this cousin so I know he didn't do it on purpose, it was just coincidence.

Name you first born whatever name you like. On my stepdad's big side of the family I had about 4 cousins named Joe...(joe was my stepdad's fathers name). We all had nicknames for them....big joe, little joe etc...to tell them apart.

Another thing you can do is use the name Lillianna as a middle name instead of a first name.

#9 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Has she had the child? Have they found out that it's a girl?

Let her use it, you can still use Liliiana.

Although no one owns a name, I still think it can be poor form to name a child a name that someone close to you, desperately wants to use. Of course it depends on the circumstances though.

I think your feelings are valid but you need to somehow find peace and move on.

#10 la di dah

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

You can use the name if you want. It all depends what you are comfortable with. I'm cool with matching initials or similar sounds, with cousins.

I think everyone's allowed one vent.

I think your mom is probably just trying to say it's a bit late. You can't un-name a born baby, even if your sister IS rude and annoying. You can only decide how you feel about Lillianna going forward.

I think you could probably irritate your sister more by just losing interest in it, really. ("I did like it...for awhile... it was very on trend...") But you can't control how you feel.

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Also my brother and cousin have the same name. In fact most of the people on my Italian side have the same three names used over and over again.

#12 CountryFeral

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hang on... so your sister hasn't actually had the baby yet?

So you two are fighting about her hypothetically stealing the name you hypothetically were going to use for your hypothetical future child?

Chill sweetheart - it's all ok..

Your sister may not even use it.

And if she does? It doesn't stop you from using it as well?

Small deal. No problem. Relax.

And in future (this applies to everyone) DON'T TELL PEOPLE NAMES YOU WANT TO USE!

#13 libbylu

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

It is tough, but I would never mention a name I planned to use to anyone who might have a baby before me, as the very fact that it is so desirable to you has probably made it more desirable to your sister.  If you had never mentioned it, you may well not be in this situation.

Also, as the soon to be mother of son number two, like me, you may never have a daughter, so I think it is really hard to have dibs on a name when your child is only hypothetical.

Also, if down the track you do become pregnant with a daughter and you still like the name, then use it anyway.  One of my close friends has a sister and two cousins called Maria - it's a cultural thing in part, but it's not an issue for any of them!

It doesn't sound like your sister is being very mature or understanding though - of course you are disappointed after going to the effort of asking her not to use it and she disregarding you- but then, sadly, many people in life are not very mature or understanding.
I would just try to forget about the whole thing and get on with life.

#14 2littledarlings

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I would be devastated if my sister did that. I would still use the name, they will have different circles of friends etc.

Use the name you love when your time comes!

#15 epl0822

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't think anybody owns a name. A lot of families have named sons after their father and so on so it is no big deal for for cousins to have similar or even the same name. There might be other ways (through surnames, nicknames, etc) to distinguish between the two girls.

#16 CleverChook

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Firstly, she may have a boy, choose another name at the last minute, etc  She also just could be teasing you or playing a joke on you with no intention of using the names.

If your sister uses the name, simple answer: pick another name.

Edited by CleverChook, 14 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#17 jill1972

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I think most eb'ers with tell you to get over & that your sister can do whatever she wants.  But I would be upset.  She's your sister, that's a different relationship to friendship.  I wouldn't do that to my sister no matter how much I loved the name.  You obviously had your heart set on it & she would've known, that's mean.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think there are too many 'what ifs' happening here to stress about it just yet.
She may change her mind, she may have boys....that being said it wouldn't stop me from using the name, it is different to the one she has chosen.

#19 Feral_Pooks

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Tell her to go for it, it won't change your choice at all.

#20 Heather11

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Do you currently have a DP/DH OP?

Your DP may not like the name.  It may not fit with the surname, you may find another name you like better, or you may never have a girl.

I have a brother and cousin with the same name.  No issues growing up.

I personally wouldn't of told her what name I was hoping to use.  She probably wouldn't have even thought of it if you hadn't of mentioned it.

#21 YandiGirl

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I had always wanted to call my daughter Sara. My ex's aunt was pregnant at the same time as I was and laid claim to the name, apparently she had always wanted to use the name also. She ended up having two boys and no girls. And I ended up with Caitlin which although I like the name and it suits her, I would have preferred to sue Sara.

You never know what the future will bring. Use whatever name you are happy with, as should your sister.

#22 JECJEC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Obviously if she has used the name is it also her very very bested most loved name in the world too or otherwise she wouldn't have used it. I would be pretty annoyed if anyone - my sister included - put dibs on a name that I liked/loved and then carried on to both myself and my husband that they had ownership of it.

(And for the record my sisters son has one of my favourite and my husbands very favourite boys names).

#23 Kay1

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Don't lose a sister over this. You might have all boys like I did!

I'd just let it go and if the situation does arise use it anyway.

#24 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'm going to go against the grain and think what your sister is doing is really quite mean. You obviously desperately want to use that name, have wanted to for a long time and she has known the whole time. The first time you told her how much it meant to you, she should have crossed it off her mental list.

I do think you need to let it go and move on though. No good will come from holding a grudge and being bitter about it. Sh*t happens unfortunately.

On the question of would I still use it? Depends on how close the cousins would be.

Eg me and DH's immediate familes hang out at least once a week, so no I would not use a name already used by our brothers or sisters. My brother had the same name as our cousin and they were referred to as"Big Ben" and "Little Ben" for a long time which I wouldn't like.

If you only see your sister once in a while mostly on special occasions then I would think of using the same name since you are so in love with it.

Edited by JBaby, 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#25 Cat People

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

You are being ridiculous OP.  Totally and utterly ridiculous.  I tried to think of a politer reply, but this was the best I could come up with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.