When are u all announcing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 flossy32

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

When is everyone planning on announcing the news. 12 weeks? Earlier? Later? I'm still not sure

#2 ~*bumblebee*~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

We told close family and friends the minute we got the BFP. Most of them new we were doing IVF so were nearly as anxious for the outcome. I haven't told work yet, not in a hurry to tell them.

#3 Impish

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

DH and I are planning on announcing to our families around the 12wk mark once we know everything is still going according to plan. I won't be telling work until aroun 15wks as we will be away until then.

I know some women find it beneficial to tell at least one person early on so they can share their symptoms, etc. with someone other than their DH/DP.

How far along are you?

#4 flossy32

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm 10 weeks and 2 days. I def won't be telling work till about 16 weeks but still not sure about family and friends

#5 Amy 1976

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I conceived via IVF so I told everyone straight away as many of my colleagues already knew I was doing IVF so it made sense to me to share the good news straight away.

I figure if we lose the baby then at least they'll be able to offer a bit of sympathy. So far so good however original.gif

I'm also terrible at keeping secrets so this way I don't have to make a cover story when I'm going to appointments.

#6 Ritaroo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm 8 weeks and have only told close family and also told them to keep it to themselves. I'm having a scan 12 and a half weeks so I will probably tell work after that.

#7 Madalem

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm 8 weeks too.....and only a few close friends know! Haven't told any family yet, as it's just the way I have found it best to deal with our journey...

DP wants to wait until the 12 week scan before telling family......which I'm comfortable with. I'm actually going to wait as long as I can before I tell work.....maybe 16 weeks or so.....of course depending on if I'm able to hide the belly!

Edited by Madalem, 14 January 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#8 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I am 8 weeks and we just told immediate family, mainly because my sister is expecting in April and she was a bit upset about me not wanting to talk to her about her pregnancy (we have had trouble getting pregnant but DH losing job, moving house and other stresses).

DH's father is visiting us next month so he sure to be bringing some gifts so it was only fair to give a bit of warning.

If things were different I would of waited 12 weeks.

#9 brom85

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and we've pretty much told most people after our scan next week we will announce our news to everyone else original.gif

#10 LO123

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

We have told family and a few close friends, just as it was easier as I was so sick and it was too hard to hide. 12 week scan on Monday so will then tell other people then.

Not sure about work now, was going to next week but i was told today there is the possiblity of a promotion coming my way. Now I am scared to tell them as I don't want them to change there minds.

#11 emelsy

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

If there's a promotion coming then please say nothing!
I was duped during my first pregnancy cos I announced before I signed my contract. It's teaching, women fall pregnant all the time and I thought they would be considerate....pfft, fat chance!
I've told loads of people. All my siblings, my parents, DP's family and all of my close friends.
Those I told before my first scan I told them to not say anything cos there was no guarantee it would be successful. I'm 9 weeks now, scan went well so I figure people can know.
Going to wait as long as possible before I tell work. I'm aiming for 15 weeks. I'm a bit overweight so I don't think anyone will say anything (except this weird lady who kept looking at my tummy last term and was constantly asking when I would have another one. I'm sure she knew and I was only 5/6 weeks!)

#12 danjwil

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

We are 9 weeks and no one knows I have had three friends and family all announce they are due even after me but we are waiting until the scans.

#13 archieboy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Im 9 weeks along and most of my close friends and family know.  I told them weeks ago. Ill tell the rest of the world after our 12w scan. This is our 2nd, with our 1st we waitedand told family and friends after our nuchal scan.

Work I have also told, only because I work for a small business on a casual basis and my boss is the nicest woman in the world. It has also helped with my MS as she is very understanding. Especially as she has two daughters my age that have just given birth. So she is very familiar with what im going through right now!

#14 MsFeral

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm 9 weeks and have told immediate family only. My mother, on the other hand, has now told all of her friends which is pretty disappointing. I'm not telling anyone outside of family until after the nuchal translucency scan which i'm having at 13 weeks.

#15 hailsmt

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I am about 9 weeks and a few days and we had told close friends, one of who my DH works with... Just last week another workmates of his congratulated my dad on being a 'poppy' again. So we had to do the super fast ring around to tell other friends so they didn't find out on the 'grapevine' of our small town!!

#16 Wishing2011

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Not sure when we are going to do it. We have only told immediate family as in parents brothers/sisters.. Still need to tell my brother yet original.gif Hoping to to do it this weekend sometime. Everyone else I might tell around 12 - 14 weeks or when I start to show ? I'm not in a rush to tell the world. I'm enjoying keeping this surprise to myself and my husband original.gif

Edited by Wishing2011, 18 January 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#17 LumpySpacePrincess

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'm 11 weeks now and told family when we saw them at Christmas. Did plan on waiting till atleast after the point that i lost my babies last time but im shocking at keeping secrets. Have told afew friends since aswell. Also told DD earlier than we planned cos she asked and I didn't want to lie to her. And thankfully since my boss is also my partner he knew as soon as I did so no need to keep it a secret at work.

#18 nouseforaname

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

We're waiting till after our 12w scan. Just to be sure original.gif.  I've told my best friend who is also pregnant and one other friend knows, but she works for my gp - so I didn't exactly tell her, but I asked her if she knew what was going on LOL I think she had to type my referrals.

#19 ellejays

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (MsCert @ 15/01/2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm 9 weeks and have told immediate family only. My mother, on the other hand, has now told all of her friends which is pretty disappointing. I'm not telling anyone outside of family until after the nuchal translucency scan which i'm having at 13 weeks.

Oh no!! I feel for you.  My mother didn't even tell me when my brother & his wife were expecting, so I knew she would keep our secret.  But I had to have a serious talk to DH about whether his parents could keep it secret - as I would have held off telling them until 12 weeks if he wasn't 100% sure.  Our announcement to them came with a stern warning - we will be calling grandma when we are good & ready, and we will let you know when you can tell people!

We have only told immediate family (final reveal to DH's sister & brother tonight) - everyone else has to wait until after the 12w scan!

#20 Samantha82

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

We haven't told anyone, but a lady at work is abit nosey and guessed when I was 6 weeks. Some others at work have kind of a clue now too, but I've been having a bit of fun teasing them about it as I haven't actually come out and said it. We're waiting until our 12 week scan on the 4th. Don't think I even believe I'm pregnant until I actually see a lil body in there!

Have held off telling my parents as they are caravanning around the country until June. Didn't want them to think they'd have to cut their trip short and come home.

#21 Plumpy_Rex

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

We announced yesterday after the 12 week scan.. I wanted to be sure of everything after the issues last time around.

#22 kazzy84

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

If all goes well tomorrow morning at my NT scan, I will be announcing tomorrow afternoon! Family and a handful of close friends know already, as well as my immediate boss but I need to tell my team and head of the department, definitely don't want to do that until after the scan! I will also announce to the rest of our friends tomorrow if all goes well. Fingers Crossed - I'm so nervous!

#23 Itchy_Witch

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

We announced pretty early on. It was intentional, kinda just happened. I needed Mum to babysit DS while I went to the doc for blood tests, she asked why, it just came out. I never could lie to my mum! Since we told her, DH wanted to tell his family, so yeah it came out at Christmas pretty much.

#24 quiltingmumma12

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

We decided to only tell immediate family & my 2 closest friends. Family we told over christmas dinner and New Year. Its been difficult not saying anything at work I have great friends there some of which are expecting. I mostly want to tell so I can ask questions! DH didn't really mind when we first found out but then I mentioned some people wait till the 12 week scan... so now his sticking to that! 10 weeks & 3 days not long now original.gif

#25 MsFeral

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm nearly 15 weeks and still haven't told work. Sitting here thinking about doing it today, feels like a good time to do it as I don't want to get to 16 weeks or so.

Eek! I am dreading it as I'm part of a large project, and as well as that I don't like having the attention focused on me personally, so it's going to be uncomfortable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.