Likelihood of prem birth after first child was late prem?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 epl0822

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

My first child was born just under 36 weeks - a late prem. I have been healthy my whole life and throughout the pregnancy. No major stress during pregnancy either. I have no idea why I went into labour a month early. Aside from being the tiniest baby on the ward, DS had no health problems.

Now that we are thinking of TTC #2 I have been wondering about the likelihood of giving birth early for the second time. I can't find any info on this other than some studies showing that women are more likely to have premature births for second and subsequent children anyway. We have taken out PHI and it does not kick in until later on in the year. So if I get pregnant quickly I am slightly worried about having to pay huge hospital bills if I go into labour a month early again (I guess I will go to a public hospital in this case). Has anybody had an early birth for their first child then went onto deliver at term for subsequent children? Did your OB say you had a higher chance of prem birth for the second pregnancy?

#2 cinderellainsydney

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

Yes, in general, having one previous pre term birth increases the chances of subsequent birth/s being preterm also. However it really depends and health can change between pregnancies. Having pre term babies is not a risk on its own, rather the presence of factors that are known contributors such as shorter cervical length, abnormal uterine flow, use of marijuana, lack of overall feeling of well being, being of  Caucasian ethnicity, hypertension, having had abortion/s, having a mother with diabetes and/or a history of  preeclampsia, and a family history of low birth weight babies etc etc.

For example, if you are in Tropical North QLD, you could say that because of previous cyclones in your area, the likelihood of future cyclones rises, but the main risk factor is your geographical location NOT the statistical relationship between past and future results.

Your obs. can evaluate your risk by examining each of the contributing factors.
There were a few studies about pregnant women who have previously had preterm babies might be able  avoid another preterm birth if taking progestrogens,

#3 sqawk

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

PHI uses your EDD as to whether it will cover your delivery costs.  So as long as your EDD (as agreed by your caregiver) is after the date when you cover kicks in, then you will be covered, even if you then deliver early and its prior to that date.

#4 Corella

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I would have thought being Caucasian was protective - that being of ATI background, or a recent/first generation migrants increases the prenatal predictors of premature birth.

#5 epl0822

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (sqawk @ 14/01/2013, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PHI uses your EDD as to whether it will cover your delivery costs.  So as long as your EDD (as agreed by your caregiver) is after the date when you cover kicks in, then you will be covered, even if you then deliver early and its prior to that date.

Oh really? Is this across all health insurers? I didn't know this, thank you for posting!

#6 sqawk

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

double check with your insurer but Im pretty sure its across the board.  you may need a letter from your ob/care giver stating your EDD if you do end up delivering "early"

#7 Jessie_T

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (epl0822 @ 14/01/2013, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh really? Is this across all health insurers? I didn't know this, thank you for posting!

No it's not all phi. The one I a, with, goes by edd but the other one I was looking at goes by the date the baby was born. So if bubs came early and you weren't in it for 12 months, you weren't covered.

#8 fairymagic

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

I would check with your PHI provider as this is not the case with all insurance companies. Make sure you also have family cover if going to a private hospital - this will cover your baby should it need a higher than normal level of care.

Re having had a 36 weeker - it does not guarantee another early bubs. It does depend on why you went into labour early last time - if the cause is known. Were your dates accurate last time?? It is certainly something your OB will need to know about (if you didn't have him/her last pregancy) and they may keep a closer eye on you but it doesn't mean you will have an early bubs again. Interestingly, a friend of mine had a 36 weeker (breech) then had a 28 weeker due to placental abruption and then went to 40 weeks with her third.

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy (when it occurs). Try not to stress of the birth date until it happens. original.gif

#9 PoshMosh

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hi op, I know HCF goes by EDD in case you are with them.

#10 new*to*this

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'll be watching this thread as DD was a 35 weeker too (cause of prematurity unknown) and we're also planning on conceiving a second this year. Based on my family history (I was 1 month early and my younger brother was only 1 week early) I'm expecting to bake the next one a little longer but I'd be interested to hear of other people's experiences.

#11 mez70

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

one thing I would also like to make sure people know that is regardless of EDD if you have preg complications that require bed rest etc, bad morning sickness etc They WILL NOT BE covered, whilst you are still serving the waiting period. I know a lot of funds won't budge on bubs arriving before due date and if you get told they will cover delivery based on EDD get it in writing...

I was admitted on bed rest with both my pregnancies, first time I was admitted for 10 days at 28 weeks, discharged and then delivered at 31 weeks, (was very nearly in hosp for the duration though and only allowed home as I had no kids and could rest)

Second pregnancy I was admitted for 3 nights at 33 weeks and went on to have bubs at 37 weeks

#12 epl0822

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (mez70 @ 16/01/2013, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one thing I would also like to make sure people know that is regardless of EDD if you have preg complications that require bed rest etc, bad morning sickness etc They WILL NOT BE covered, whilst you are still serving the waiting period. I know a lot of funds won't budge on bubs arriving before due date and if you get told they will cover delivery based on EDD get it in writing...

I was admitted on bed rest with both my pregnancies, first time I was admitted for 10 days at 28 weeks, discharged and then delivered at 31 weeks, (was very nearly in hosp for the duration though and only allowed home as I had no kids and could rest)

Second pregnancy I was admitted for 3 nights at 33 weeks and went on to have bubs at 37 weeks

If this happens, can you go to a public hospital? Or would you have to switch from private to public entirely?

Just in case anybody is interested, I mentioned this question to my GP when I saw her for something else this week. She said birth at 36 weeks is not of any concern because it's pretty much nearly full term. When asked about my likelihood of going into early labour again she said anything could happen with subsequent pregnancies but it's highly unlikely I'll be late (ie beyond 40 weeks).

#13 mez70

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yes if you had any antenatal complications and required admitting during the waiting period the choice would be either A: self fund private stay (huge dollars payable by yourself) or B; you would be admiited to a Public Hosp as a Public Patient and therefore you would also be seeing dr's etc other than your chosen OB etc.. Would depend on why and how long you are staying as to  if your would need to change from private to Public as well.. Eg 3 nights for rehydration and Morning sickness etc is not going to have any major impact on what is happening say 30 odd weeks later...You would neede to chat with your health fund and provider......

#14 fairymagic

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I would check with your OB with regards to being admitted to hospital whilst serving your waiting period. If in a public hospital your OB may still be able to care for you privately - that care may come under the Pregnancy costs you pay your OB?? Just check at your next appt.

#15 FiFiLicious

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

My #1 was born 36 weeks IUGR due to placenta problems. I had a very big bleed at 12 weeks which was assumed that it was part of the placenta tearing away.

I didn't worry about # 2 as a result. So when I started bleeding again at 30 weeks, I figured my body may not be able to grow placentas well. ( he was born finally at 32 weeks). I would not even consider a third as I am too high risk now ( 38, hypertensive, previous prems and 1 cranial deformity - cleft)

The good news is, unless the baby is a micro prem, most babies born post 30 weeks are ok ( need much assistance to begin with) not to say thaperfect 30 weeks is dire, but the risk of longer term issues is higher of course.

Your care by your OB is covered by your OB fees in hospital if you need to go in pre birth.  What you may not be covered for is hospital room and surgery/delivery which would mean you would go public and lose your OB for the delivery, especially If they aren't affiliated with the public hospital closest to your home.

So for eg, I live in syd and close to RPA, but my OB works in POW and womens.  If I wasn't covered, I would have to go to RPA as a public patient but my OB could still advise me, consult etc.  they would not be able to examine or perform the delivery At RPA.

Good luck!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.