How big is your 20 month old?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 aphraell

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I have been getting a few comments lately on how "big" DD is...she is a little bit taller than the other girls in our mothers group but not massively so.

I even got a comment on how she was too big for baby ballet (WTF people - she is a BABY not applying to  be a professional ballerina!!!)

DD is about 15kg and 92cm tall.

So, how big is your 20 month old? Is my DD really that "big"?

#2 tres-chic

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I get those comments too so even though my DD is a little older than yours (at 25 months) I empathise.

DD is 13.8kgs and 93 cms. We were at a party yesterday and she was nearly as tall as a three and a half year old boy.

My kids were all big babies so it doesn't worry me. She's very strong and very active and needs to be to keep up with her two big brothers.

Just ignore the comments if you can.

#3 laridae

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

My DD is 28 months, 90.5cm tall and weighs 12.9kg.  She is on approx the 75% line for both height & weight.  So I would say yes, your DD is big.

Check your blue (or come other colour?) book - it should have graphs of height & weight.  I think they only get concerned when kids are on vastly different % lines for height & weight - eg %90 height, 5% weight, or 50% height, 90% weight.  So if your DD was about on the 90% line for both - then that's fine, she's just big for her age (and that's ok!)

Edited by laridae, 14 January 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#4 2anewme

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

My DD is 21 months and 10.5Kg - not sure how tall.  She is little - just under the 50% line.  My Dr is perfectly fine with her progress and sees no issue.

Your daughter sounds in proportion - I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 Escapin

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

My 20mo DD is 90cm tall and weighs around 14kg. She's growing out of size 2 clothes but she's not 2 yet. I think it's great original.gif I was always taller than everyone else growing up, and loved it. She does get odd looks from chatty 3yos though, when they start talking sentences and she's a 'one word at a time' girl original.gif

#6 archersmumma

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I get the same comments all the times, drives me bonkers but you just have to let it slide at the end of the day we know they are happy and healthy. My DS is 20 months now but his last weigh and height check was at 18 months he was 13.5kg and 85cm and I think he has a growth spurt since then.

#7 archersmumma

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I get the same comments all the times, drives me bonkers but you just have to let it slide at the end of the day we know they are happy and healthy. My DS is 20 months now but his last weigh and height check was at 18 months he was 13.5kg and 85cm and I think he has a growth spurt since then.

#8 Chazee

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

My DS is 17 months and about 8.7kg. So he's on the small side. There's always some on the small or large end of the scale!!

#9 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Check out these charts from the WHO.
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

You daughter is off the charts for height and weight, so yes she is 'big'!

Her BMI is 17.7 (based on the numbers you have given)
http://www.who.int/entity/childgrowth/stan...girls_p_0_5.pdf

This puts her on the 85th percentile for BMI, which is the bottom end of 'overweight' for children.
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing...ldrens_bmi.html

Of course this is based on the estimations you have given, and if her weight was really 14.6 kg, this would make a difference.

If you are concerned, take her to a GP or health nurse to be properly weighed and measured (even a little bit of inaccuracy can vastly change the BMI and its implications in this group)

Please note that this is a 'no judgement answer'. I have merely plugged the numbers you have into publicly available resources. Your ethnicity etc will also have a bearing on all this, so if any concerns, best to see a real health professional.

Ets - tryin to fix wierd formatting...

Edited by AntiBourgeoisie, 14 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#10 *Finn*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

My DD is 21 months old and 11.2kg.

She is a shorty so looks a little chubby but sits right on average for height and weight.

#11 Bluenomi

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (aphraell @ 14/01/2013, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been getting a few comments lately on how "big" DD is...she is a little bit taller than the other girls in our mothers group but not massively so.

I even got a comment on how she was too big for baby ballet (WTF people - she is a BABY not applying to  be a professional ballerina!!!)

DD is about 15kg and 92cm tall.

So, how big is your 20 month old? Is my DD really that "big"?

My DD is a few months off 3 and it that size so I'd say your DD is big. Not fat big but tall big.

It does also seem to depend on what people are used too. We took DD overseas at 6 months when she was right on 50% for weight and height. Everyone commented on how huge she was to the point where I added a few months to her age so I stopped getting comments!

#12 frozie

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

DS will be 20 months in a few days.  He s 85cm tall and weighs 10.6kgs.

#13 Kitty1977

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I get a similar comment but about how small by DS is...I have been taking him to the GP every 3 months for a weigh & measure & she isn't worried about it, so I just tell people that is just the size he is (most people think he is atleast 6 months younger than what he is).  My MG friends little boys (and some of the girls) are bigger than my DS, but until my GP tells me there is a problem. I refuse to worry...there is enough to worry about being a mum without adding to it...if your GP says there is no problem then just let the comments slide.  Every child is different & comparing them just makes parents go a little loopy.

#14 kadoodle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have an 18mo who's 75cm and 9kg.  He's happy and healthy though.

#15 kel378

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

My Ds is 26mths and weighs 11.5kgs not to sure on height I think about average.

#16 Runnercoz

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

My boy is only 13.5 months so not relevant to your post topic, but he is a big boy - 13.98kg and 81.5cm at 1 year, well above 98th percentile for both. I get so tired of that being the first thing people notice about him sad.gif . Yes he IS a big boy but he is also in proportion, just like your child. My CHN is not worried at all and says he will grow into his weight but of course with two tall parents will likely be tall!  My nephew now 2.5 was a chubba as a baby and has only now grown into his weight. Please don't take it to heart, ppl will always find something to comment on.
That was a ridiculous comment re too big for baby ballet tho!

#17 Milamum09

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

My DD is 3yrs and 4 mths and is 92cm and 13kg.  I think she is on the small side though. I wouldn't be worried. We are all different!

#18 kpingitquiet

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Kiddo is usually a fair bit taller than the rest of the kids her age. At 20mo she was around 89cm and 13kg.

#19 Chelsea86

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

My DS is 20 months old and yep, get told ALL the time how "big" he is for his age! He's the same height as a bub 5 months older than him, and towers over bubs his own age.

No idea his exact height or weight atm.

He's got a little pot belly too which doesnt help either lol

#20 BRB

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Our 26month old is 17kg and 94cm. We always get comments on how big he is.

#21 goesaround

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

My son is 2 next month - 11 kilos and 81 cm... apparently a bit of a midget according the charts.... only looked it up recently and only took him to the clinic once... happy and healthy and convenient size for carrying... I never really worry about such things... they all range in size and as long as they have lots of energy and are well then that's all that matters... size at this age doesn't really reflect future size... well hasn't for my other three original.gif

#22 kabailz13

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Our twins are almost 25mths and I hadn't measured them for ages but did when they turned two.

DS2 was 15kg and 88cm tall
DD3 was 13kg and 93.5cm tall

My DH is 6'4" - our girl twin takes after him and our boy twin takes after me original.gif

We *always* get told how big she is. I don't have a problem with it except when people start expecting a lot more than they are capable of.

When DS1 was 7mths old, a lot of people thought he should be walking and talking as he was the size of an average 18mth old - he was still just a tiny bubba to me original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.