Triggers and memories of my traumatic birth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Melly_trish

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

No real point to this post but I need to offload.
My first pregnancy ended with a traumatic birth. It was almost 4 years ago and since than I have had another baby without incident. Now my SIL is almost due and I have started having flashbacks.
My first pregnancy was text book. I started getting contractions at 7:00pm a couple of days before my due date. By 10pm they were about 7 mins a part and I called the hospital and told to call back at 5 mins. Around 12am I called back and was told to come in at 3 mins. I managed the pain at home well by hot showers and watching movies. At 3:00am I asked DH to take me to the hospital.  We got there and I was a little anxious but they confirmed that I was experiencing contractions and told me to settle in for a while. At this stage no internal. 30 minutes later I requested an internal to find out I was actually 8cm and moved into the delivery room. Baby was posterior and I had pain through my back (I internalise my pain so was not making much noise or indication that I was in pain) and was using the shower to manage pain. My midwife told me not to expect the baby to arrive for another 2 hours.
So my mum arrived to allow DH a break to call his boss and to grab something to eat. (My mum is also a midwife).  So anyway I started telling the midwife that the baby is coming, that i felt pressure and burning to be told no, it's still progressing. I was left in the ensuite whilst my mum was in the main room talking to the student midwife. I have no idea where my midwife was (she was not in the room).
So I am standing in the shower when my baby fell out of me and landed on the tiles. My mum rushed in and picked my baby off of the ground and the student pressed the emergency button. DS was stunned but became alert. He was taken for scanning and given the all clear. DH missed out on the birth and I felt that I was blamed for how the situation unfolded.
With the birth of DS2 I started getting flashbacks of DS landing on the tiles and with SILs impending birth these flashbacks have started again. I have had counselling and have strategies to manage but I am still so upset that I am in this position of needing help.
Thank you for reading. Sorry for my ramble and any spelling errors (on the iPhone).

#2 Mianta

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

That's awful.

As a midwife, I never, ever disregard any woman who tells me her baby is coming NOW!

Not only is it extremely insulting and disempowering but the situation can lead to one, such as you have described. You never ignore a woman who is giving you a clear indication of what her body is doing.

That midwife was damn lucky that your baby was ok, it could have been a lot worse.

It is absolutely not your fault.

#3 Neph

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Mianta @ 17/01/2013, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That midwife was damn lucky that your baby was ok, it could have been a lot worse.

absolutely agree - it's so upsetting to know/experience midwives who are just clearly in the wrong job.

i wish you all the best moving forward ... you and your bubby. bless x

#4 Jax12

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I wish I had something more helpful to contribute other than I am so sorry that you were treated so poorly, and I am so glad that your DS was okay.

I started to provide a list of strategies but I see you have those in place already.  I agree, it is absolutely unfair that you are in the position of needing help when there was no reason your birth shouldn't have been straightforward.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Mianta @ 17/01/2013, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's awful.

As a midwife, I never, ever disregard any woman who tells me her baby is coming NOW!

Not only is it extremely insulting and disempowering but the situation can lead to one, such as you have described. You never ignore a woman who is giving you a clear indication of what her body is doing.

This ^ 100%.

I do hope you have made the midwife accountable for her behaviour...it is just not on.  sad.gif

#6 Glittery Fairy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

sad.gif  my gosh that is terrible!! I'm so sorry to hear how it unfolded. I too hope the midwife is held accountable... that's just not on. Thank goodness your little one is ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How an inquest into one stillbirth is saving lives

A ground-breaking court case that has focused solely on one stillborn baby has already helped to save the lives of other babies.

Get them into reading early with a Nouk book subscription

There's no bonding activity quite like reading to your baby or toddler, and all the signs point to it being important for social and literacy development as well.

Vote in our Parents' Choice Awards - and WIN!

Vote and you could win a a share of $2500 worth of prizes - Hurry - voting closes midnight Monday September 19.

I don't want my husband to go on a buck's trip

My husband's best friend is getting married and has planned a men's bachelor party.

The celeb parents who needed a mediator to stop fighting over baby names

Deciding on a baby name can be a fraught experience for many parents.

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

May Gibbs' 'Gumnut Babies' turns 100 with a special edition, coins, stamps and more

It's time to celebrate the centenary of May Gibbs' very first book release, Gumnut Babies.

African baby names

We have some absolutely gorgeous selections of African baby names for you to consider for your baby.

The mum who retrained to became a plumber

One company refused to give her an apprenticeship because they believed she would be too much of a distraction to the males. 

Meningococcal meningitis: signs, treatment and prevention

What is meningococcal meningitis, why does it occur in seasons, and why does it strike fear into the hearts of so many?

I was scared of the dentist ... and my son paid the price

It was a moment where I could certainly learn from his behaviour, and not him from mine.

Family of toddler killed by alligator at Disney honours his third birthday

The family told supporters that they wanted to celebrate the boy's "first birthday in heaven".

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

7 tips to help you prepare your home for parenthood

Prep your home to make becoming a new parent as stress-free as possible.

Fatherhood to the beat of Daniel's drum

Daniel Gibney knew fatherhood would change him, but he didn't realise it would lead to a global business venture for his family.

A case of gastro and the mummy mean girls

I don't blame any first-time mother who is terrified of her or her baby catching gastro, but it will find you eventually.

Zooey Deschanel's cake smash fail for daughter Elsie

"I kept seeing on the Internet, 'You gotta make a smash cake for your one-year-old,' so I'm like, 'I'm making this cake just so she can smash it.'"

Five things mums should never do

Although I preach the "each to their own" method of parenting, it's unavoidable to have those moments of panic.

Mum allegedly 'groped' while holding toddler in Sydney pool

A mum has told of her horror after she was allegedly sexually assaulted while at a swimming centre with her two young children.

'It whacked me': Michelle Bridges on sleep deprivation and returning to exercise

Michelle Bridges knows a lot about health and fitness, but when she became a mum she had to learn a few lessons the hard way.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Vote in our Parents' Choice Awards - and WIN!

Vote and you could win a a share of $2500 worth of prizes - Hurry - voting closes midnight Monday September 19.

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

SYDNEY SHOW - 23-25 Sept

Essential Baby & Toddler Show - Sydney

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores, will be held in Sydney on 23-25 September. Register for your free ticket now to save $20!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.