Melbourne sleep schools
Not comfortable with cont crying

12 replies to this topic

#1 MrsMammaB

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I've started thinking it might be an idea to put out name down with a sleep school. I've heard mostly great things from friends and various google searches but the only thing is that I'm not comfortable with controlled crying. DD is only 20 weeks.
I've heard some will tailor the routine to suit your needs and wondering if anyone has recommendations for any that take this into consideration?
Thanks in advance.

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

There are a couple of sleep schools which do not utilise controlled crying. Both these have been accessed by two of my DD's and they are anti CC or CIO.
They are Northpark and Tweddle, my DD's found them both very supportive of their needs.

#3 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

As STBG said.

Do bear in mind, though, that there is almost no way to help a baby learn to self-settle that involves no cryin whatsoever.

#4 ubermum

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hmmm, what is the definition of controlled crying? Is it just leaving the baby to wail uncomforted for 2, 4, 6 minutes type of thing?
I went to one of those sleep schools STBG mentioned and they taught controlled conforting. Arms through the bars of the cot, pat and shush until baby quiet, leave the room. Return and repeat if baby cries until baby is asleep or not crying.

#5 Another one

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 13/01/2013, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, what is the definition of controlled crying? Is it just leaving the baby to wail uncomforted for 2, 4, 6 minutes type of thing?
I went to one of those sleep schools STBG mentioned and they taught controlled conforting. Arms through the bars of the cot, pat and shush until baby quiet, leave the room. Return and repeat if baby cries until baby is asleep or not crying.

I went to Tweddle as well and this is how they did it.  I found the staff wonderful but you had to be willing to listen and take advice.  They were certainly willing to talk and come to a conclusion that suoited me.

The family opposite me were there for their 3yo and their 4mo.  The father was in charge of the 3yo and I could always hear what the nurse was saying (we were 6 feet apart) and he would agree it was the way to go and then he NEVER did it as she said.  By the last night their DD was doing the same as night one.

#6 twinboys

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Have a look on the QEC website here

They have some fact sheets and podcasts that you can look at and see if there are some tips that you can start using at home.

Also if you are a resident of the city of Casey - there is a sleep nurse that can come and home visit you and help as well.
You need to see your MCHN to get the details of this service or ring the council to go through the right channels

#7 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Cry it out = Weisblauth method = put baby to bed, leave, close the door, don't go back until morning. Ugh. No one does this anymore.

Controlled crying = Ferber type methods = allow baby to cry alone with varying timing of checks (some as close as 2 minutely, some as long as 10 minutely, some increasing in time with each check)

Controlled comforting = usually hands on for most of it - pat/shush/other until baby sleep.

Most sleep schools/nannies use controlled comforting type methods. But some babies do get angrier if the parent is in the room, for these babies controlled crying with frequent reassurance may work better.

#8 *mylittleprince*

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Not my state but I went to sleep school with 18 week old DS when we lived in Sydney.

Most sleep schools use hands on settling or responsive settling or a combination of both. I don't believe that you can teach a baby to self-settle without some type of crying and that I would rather have a bit of crying and a baby who sleeps well and is happy than one who never sleeps and is grumpy all day and night.

Hands on settling is where you ssh and pat by sticking your arms/hands over or through the bars until they are calm and almost asleep and then leave (returning if necessary). Responsive settling is where you put baby down awake but drowsy then give them a chance to self-settle (no set time but around 5 - 10 minutes?) then respond according to the cries.

Here is some sleep school info that might help you:

http://www.tresillian.net/tresillian-tips/...-12-months.html

http://www.tresillian.net/tresillian-tips/...0-6-months.html

#9 sne

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I was at a O'Connell sleep school in Melbourne in July last year for my two youngest.  The first night they had me doing the controlled comforting which was a nightmare.  The kids tag teamed me up most of the night.  We (staff and I) decided that wasn't the right approach for my two.  My (or the staffs) presence in the room was just giving them a reason to be awake.  So we moved onto a variation of the controlled crying system.  But instead of giving it a time it was 3 proper cries (not grizzling).  That worked really well for my two toddlers.

I found O'Connell great as they weren't stuck on one way that was a one size fits all type of fix but were willing to try something else when what we were trying wasn't working.  I also came away with lots of information on child development, discipline etc.

I hope you can find something that works for you.  Trying to manage on not much sleep is the pits.

#10 Silver Girl

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 13/01/2013, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O'Connell Family Centre takes this approach too. We found the nurses very caring. There is a several week wait to get in in most cases but it is paid for by Medicare. I hope you get some good help wherever you go.

#11 mandala

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I went to a private sleep school in Melbourne, and they used responsive settling. However, they were also responsive to parents and came up with approaches that suited each parent's comfort level. The settling was also tailored to the age and personality of the baby.

There was crying, but no baby was just abandoned.

It's worth calling the different sleep schools to discuss their approach. If they aren't going to be a good match for you, it's better to find out before you go.

#12 Feral_Pooks

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Give Tweddle a call, they are fantastic and very much want to support your confidence and will tailor approaches accordingly, and according to your goals. Babies cry when you change things on them, but you do comfort them, but you do it in a way that works best for them to get sleep.

#13 MrsMammaB

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.  Im still in 2 minds if we go or not. She was sleeping through bar one night feed a couple of weeks ago and from what I read is going through 4 month old sleep regression.
I might ride it out a little longer and see how we go.

Thanks again original.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to talk about your pregnancy at work

The workplace isn't always a friendly place for pregnant women. Yet working women inclined to conceal a pregnancy from prying coworkers may be better off opening up and carrying on, according to a new study.

Tell us your story to win!

To celebrate Mother's Day this year we are giving you the chance to win one of five great prizes simply by telling us your story.

Where to get help to help your baby sleep

There is so much pressure about having a baby who sleeps 'all night' , it's no wonder you worry about your baby if she wakes in the night.

Vintage baby names having a comeback

What makes some names have comebacks while others silently fade into oblivion? A few factors come into play.

When your partner doesn't want you to breastfeed

Dads can have many reasons for not wanting their partners to breastfeed their baby, but both parents should learn more about it before making a final decision.

Model mum Sarah Stage shares post-baby selfie

Most new mums would recoil at the thought, but Sarah Stage has shared a post-pregnancy selfie just four days after giving birth.

I'll admit it: I have last child parenting fatigue

If you're a new mum and feeling ignored by the older mum/the old hand/the has-been, please know, it's not you, it's me. Blame the last child parenting fatigue.

Exhaustion is not the same as tiredness

Having a new baby isn't tiring - it can be downright exhausting.

Five posterior babies, four home births

I was on a high. I'd done it all by myself with no help from anyone.

Mum's list of birthday gift demands goes viral

We're big fans of kids' birthday parties - but this is one bash we're glad we didn't get an invite to.

Kate Middleton to receive 'loyalty discount' for second birth

Everybody loves a bargain - including the Duchess of Cambridge.

Fish & chip shop owner's sad note goes viral

A lengthy note put on the window of a fish & chip shop has gone viral due to the writer's serious doubts about the romance of travel.

Pregnant women need good nutrition advice, not judgment

Pregnant women are under pressure to do all the "right things" to have a healthy child. It results in women feeling judged about their decisions.

When your child wants you to have another baby

Giving your child a sibling when you don't want to have another baby can be a complex issue.

William Tyrrell's mum speaks out: 'We hope he is still alive'

The mother of missing toddler William Tyrrell says she has a vision that somebody "picked him up and moved him on ... that's the only way ... to explain for him not to be there".

Family comes first for 23-year-old Tommy Connolly

Most 23-year-old blokes spend their hard earned cash on fun times with mates or romantic dinners with their girlfriend, but not Tommy Connolly.

Newborn all-girl quintuplets 'doing great'

The first all-female quintuplets born in the United States were delivered last week, at 28 weeks and two days.

Model mum's big baby silences critics

He may be less than a week old, but baby James Hunter has already helped his model mum silence her critics.

Jammy, Hula Hoop, Rage: Reddit reveals most unusual baby names

A recent Reddit thread has revealed some of the more creative names in the world.

Woman awakens from coma, learns she gave birth

A US woman awakened this week from a four-month-long coma that doctors had feared would be permanent and learned that she had given birth to a baby boy, according to her family.

'Give us a break': mum sent shocking letter over Facebook baby pics

Posting a lot of baby photos doesn't make you a bad person. It may make your Facebook feed a little irritating, but it doesn't make you a bad person.

In defense of the dads who do so much

It's time to shift the focus off what dads aren’t doing and shine it on what they are.

The modern cloth nappies too cute to cover up

If you're only just joining the modern cloth nappy movement, or would like to spruce up your collection, we have to introduce you to Designer Bums.

How breastfeeding can affect your libido

When you’ve just had a baby, having sex isn’t usually top priority. In fact, for a lot of women it rates about as appealing as changing another dirty nappy.

Should pregnant women be allowed to use 'parent and child' car parking spots?

Is it acceptable to use these car parking spots when pregnant? How many of us would admit to doing it?

Healthy baby from sperm taken 48 hours after a man died

Fertility doctors have described their "most extraordinary case" - creating a healthy baby from sperm taken 48 hours after a man had died.

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Last chance to win a year's supply of toys

You have less than a week left to win your child one of five Fisher-Price toy packs valued at over $600 each - hurry, enter today!

Childcare is a big problem, but there's more to it

Let’s keep talking about these issues and not allow them to be put into a neat little box that’s labelled ‘Fix childcare and everything is solved’.

Pink's awesome response to body-shaming trolls

When trolls felt the need to comment on 35-year-old singer-songwriter Pink's weight, her answer was an awesome ode to body love.

Fertility clinic offers egg donors $5000

A national chain of fertility clinics is offering egg donors a $5000 payment to cover their expenses, a first for Australia which is raising concerns the money could act as an inducement.

Baby boy abandoned in India amid fresh surrogacy concerns

Australian officials could do nothing to stop an Australian couple from abandoning their baby son, born through surrogacy in India, after they decided they did not want to bring him to Australia.

Herd immunity and community responsibility: how free-riders can make kids suffer

Individual choice works for haircuts and handbags, but not for preventing infectious diseases that kill kids.

Photographer captures 'unexpected beauty' of birth

If there is one thing Leilani Rogers knows about childbirth, it is that no two deliveries are ever the same.

Expectations vs the reality of making a toddler's clothes

Note to self: less sewing, more life. Not the party dress, but the party. The toddler, as usual, has it all figured out.

Mum meets 'dead' daughter 49 years after birth

In 1965, Zella Jackson-Price was told her premature baby girl had died shortly after birth.

How pregnancy probiotics can help you and your baby

New research suggests that taking specific pregnancy probiotics could be the answer to a range of common pregnancy side effects.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

ENTER NOW!

Win a year's worth of toys

Last week to submit a picture of your baby at play for your chance to win. Visit the Play Wall to view our recent entries.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.