How long is your 2 year old sleeping for?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ~chiquita~

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

DS fell asleep at 8.00pm last night and woke at 7.30am. He's been sleeping through since he was 9 months. Day nap around 12 and if not awake by 3 I'll wake him. Some days he goes without a day nap.

He's happy, healthy and a very active little boy. He's just had one set of 2 year molars come through so I'm expecting the other two soon. No teething symptoms other than some drooling.

I'm slightly worried he is sleeping too much. This new sleeping pattern started around 6 weeks ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to not be woken at 5.30am anymore but I  can no longer rely on DS to wake me up early, I need to set my alarm.

I just wanted to get an idea of how long your 2 year old is sleeping for?

#2 Genabee

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

She's not quite two yet, but she sleeps 12 to 13 hours over night (uninterrupted) and she sleeps 2 to 3 hours during the day. At daycare she sleeps only for about 2 hours, but at home she usually does 3.

Lately we've been getting a good 3 hours from her during the day and at least 13 at night - I put it down to her being outside and running around a lot more because of the warm weather. Some times when she is really tired (and I am over listening to the whinging!), she will go down around 6pm and sleep through until 8am. So 14 hours overnight is not unheard of.

It is probably little more than all that fresh air wearing him out. But if you are concerned, a trip to your GP won't hurt. Does he have any other 'symptoms' or unusual behaviour?

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

tongue.gif

#4 BVB09

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

My little one sleeps roughly 10hours at night and 2 hours during the day !

#5 ~Peaches~

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

2 year old DD sleeps from about 7:30pm - 6/6:30am. And has 2-3 hour day sleeps. I've noticed since it's been warmer weather and we've been spending a lot of time at the beach and park etc, she has been having longer day sleeps and I often have to wake her up so she'll still go to bed at a decent hour that night laugh.gif

He sounds perfectly normal to me, and I think you're very lucky biggrin.gif 6:30am is a sleep in here lol.

Definitely ask at the clinic or GP if you're worried about anything though.

#6 BeYOUtiful

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Up until 2 weeks ago it was 10 at night, 2 in the day.
Now it is 11 at night and still 2 in day.
He is eating a lot more too.  Recently weaned.

#7 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Sounds perfectly normal and nothing to worry about?

#8 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Sounds normal to me.

DS will go to bed around 7.30pm
Wake up can be anytime between 6 and some mornings 9am!!

Nap around midday, will sleep for 2.5hrs to 3.5hrs.

Some days he will not have a nap at all.

#9 melajoe

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

DD2 is 2.5 years.  She has all but given up her day nap - for the last couple of months she has only slept on day care days and even then I have asked them to limit her naps to 45 minutes as if she sleeps any longer she will be up until midnight!  So 4 days out of the week she has no day nap.  At night she goes to bed around 6.30-7pm and will usually wake around 6am, but she can wake as early as 4.30am or as late as 8am.  As a baby her sleep patterns were all over the place and she has only really just settled into a nice little routine in the last couple of months, thank goodness!

It doesn't sound like your little boy is sleeping too much to me.  There is a pretty big range of normal when it comes to babies/toddlers sleeping habits.

#10 Jenferal

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

My DD will be 3 in April but she has always needed less sleep than most people think she needs(yet is thriving and active!!).
She naps at about 2.30 till 4.30 or so (or 3 till 4.30) and then goes to bed at 9.30. Wakes at between 7 and 8 or rarely 8.30.

So all up, maybe 13 hours sleep out of every 24 hours I guess.

#11 SplashingRainbows

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

DS (2 yrs 2 months) currently sleeps from 8pm to 6:30 am (occasionally 7am).

Day sleep is 1.5 hours - occasionally 2 hours if very tired.

He has always slept on the "lower" end of normal.

I know other 2 year olds who sleep as long as your child an they have always slept on the "higher" side of normal. Sounds ok to me but I'd see your MCHN or GP if you're worried.

#12 #LG

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

DS is 2y1m and sleeps about 11 hours at night and 3 hours day, sometimes a bit more, so say 14-15 hrs each 24 hr period.

Your DS sounds well within the normal range.

#13 lactasticmama

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

DD2 is 2 in 11 days.
She goes down at 7pm, up at 6:30/7am. Then has a nap from 1pm-3pm.

#14 ~chiquita~

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

There's a few sleeping beauties here.

It seriously didn't occur to me that it could be due to the warmer weather and all the extra activities we've been doing. blush.gif
Anyway, I hope it continues. It's freezing at 5.30am in the middle of winter.

Thanks for your replies.

#15 Lokum

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

OP, ours sleeps same as yours. Usually 2 hours during the day, but recently 3 is not unusual. I'm not complaining!

#16 BabeBlossom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

DD, 2 next week, sleeps approx. 8pm-7am with no day sleep. She will occasionally sleep in the car but that may happen once a week.
But from others responses I'd say your son is very normal and be very thankful, I day dream about the things I could do during a 3 hour nap!

#17 Lucygoosey1

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

At 2yrs old my DD would have around 15hours (12 night, 3 day),  now at 3 yrs its around 13 hrs (11 night, 2 day).

#18 Potatoes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

My DD is 2yrs 2 months and this week has increased her night sleep by an hour or so - usually 7:30 bed and up at 5:30 on the dot but this week we have gotten to sleep till 6:30-7:30 which is really unusual.  Still keeping her day nap of 1.5-2 hours.  Sounds like a few bubs have been a little more sleepy lately so I'm glad it's not just us - I was beginning to be a little concerned too!

#19 lozoodle

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

My 2 year old goes to bed at 7pm, though most night monkeys around a bit and falls asleep somewhere between that and 7.30pm, and is up between 5.45 and 6.30am. The earlier wake ups are due to us waking her on work days when we need to get organised to leave.

She also naps on average 2 hours a day from 10-12, though sometimes does 3 hours.

#20 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Wow! Never ever heard a 'is it too much sleep?' question before!
Let him sleep as long as be wants! As long as its not causing bedtime issues or anything else!

#21 Jess1308

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Sounds normal to me. My son is in bed at 7.30pm, monkeys about for about an hour, wakes anywhere between 6-7am. Nap wise goes down around 1.30pm I wake him at 4pm.

#22 Carmen02

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

my DS is 2yrs 3mths and goes to bed 6.30-7pm and up 7-7.30 sometimes later and has a 2 and a half hr nap around lunchtime (he would love a longer nap!)

#23 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Wondering if a post about sleeping a lot attracts posters whose kids sleep a lot!  Not mine. She does 10-11 overnight and 1-2 during the day. On the odd day she does more and on the odd day less. I think the recommendations for 2 yr olds I have seen are 12-13 hrs total.

#24 Missmarymack

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (divineM @ 14/01/2013, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wondering if a post about sleeping a lot attracts posters whose kids sleep a lot!  Not mine. She does 10-11 overnight and 1-2 during the day. On the odd day she does more and on the odd day less. I think the recommendations for 2 yr olds I have seen are 12-13 hrs total.

My DD is similar to this. Rarely more than 10 hours overnight and only 1-2 hrs during the day.
This morning she woke at 5:55am sad.gif I wish I had an hour to myself in the morning to have a shower!

#25 Bluenomi

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Since about 21 months (DD is almost 3) DD goes to bed at 7:30pm and wakes at 7am on weekdays and anytime between 7:30 and 8am on weekends. She has a nap between 1 and 2.5 hours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

In a bizarre bid for relevancy, Former Opposition leader Mark Latham has deduced that because one female journalist had this week light-heartedly thanked antidepressants and caffeine for getting her through a medical degree while raising two small children, that ergo, all 'inner-city feminists' are selfish harridans who despise their offspring.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Metal shards hidden in playground

Pieces of sharp metal have been seemingly deliberately placed in rubber matting and across equipment at a kids' playground.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.