Food for baptism/birthday gathering
Is this enough??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 oNeLoVe

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'm having my DS's combined baptism/first birthday party next week.  It's baptism at the church at 10:30 then back to our house for lunch straight after.  Does this sound ok:

As soon as we get back: fruit platter, and a cheese platter

Lunch: I'm ordering a Subway platter of subs plus a platter of wraps from Woollies, plus will do party pies and sausage rolls as well

Then just cake as the dessert

Is that enough or should I be doing more???  We've got at least 30 adults and 15 kids so don't have the room for everyone to sit at a table so didn't want to do anything where people had to balance a plate on their laps to eat!

#2 Girlo

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have found that a really good back up is to have a ham leg and mini bread rolls. Then people can always make themselves a sandwich if they like. And the ham should last quite a while if it is led over.

Although I can see how that might Ben too similar to the subway platter....

#3 oNeLoVe

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, the subway platter has Ham, Turkey, Italian B.M.T.®, Chicken Strips, Subway Club®, Turkey & Ham and Roast Beef                     subs.  And the deli platter has ham or turkey or salami wraps.  

Surely that's enough sandwiches???  lol

#4 credence

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I reckon you might need some more dessert. You could do an ice cream station with a few diffent flavours, some cones, cups, spoons, toppings, nuts, crushed biscuit, smarties etc.

#5 Girlo

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hmmmm.... Candy bar! Delicious!!

#6 tenar

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Are you certain that everyone eats those meats?  

I'd be having some vegetarian options as well, for vegetarians and those who don't eat ham etc.

I'd also cut up a heap of fruit for people to munch on - finger-food sized pieces of watermelon, apple, grapes, pear, whatever takes your fancy...

#7 Poss and Soss

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

1 cheese and 1 fruit platter won't go far with 45 people to feed. Maybe make a couple of each?

How many subways do you get on a platter? From memory they serve around 10? So you'd probably need at least 3 of these and a couple of the wrap platters too.

How big is your cake? Are you thinking finger serve or a more substantial slice? If the latter then you're probably going to need 2 or 3 cakes.

#8 fooiesmum

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

I'd have an antipasto platter inc dips plus maybe a round tray of sushi etc on arrival at home with a cold drink (finger food).

About 30mins later I'd offer the sandwiches/wraps with more cold drinks (buffet style with a take a plate & pop your food on it and walk away style)

For desert I'd do the fruit platter and cake (if the cake isn't large enough for everyone to have a piece I'd have another cake or two also)

Hot food is always hard unless you have someone dedicated to the kitchen, ie oven needs to pre heat, you have to watch then or they burn, they are hot to serve - need plates or serviette, need sauce which can easily spill........

Drinks - individual juice, mineral water, still water, soft drink is easy - in tubs on ice with straws, no cups required.  original.gif

#9 g_uzica

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

We served the same food as you recently and not much of the cheese/ham platter wasn't eaten.  We had

woolworths platter
2 large subway platters
large fruit platter
Vegitable quiche from the cheese cake shop
cake

As PP's mentioned, I would do more dessert suggestions for the kids.

#10 oNeLoVe

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (tenar @ 13/01/2013, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you certain that everyone eats those meats?  

I'd also cut up a heap of fruit for people to munch on - finger-food sized pieces of watermelon, apple, grapes, pear, whatever takes your fancy...

Already doing a big fruit platter up. And yep, luckily we have no vegetarians coming lol

QUOTE (Poss and Soss @ 13/01/2013, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1 cheese and 1 fruit platter won't go far with 45 people to feed. Maybe make a couple of each?

How many subways do you get on a platter? From memory they serve around 10? So you'd probably need at least 3 of these and a couple of the wrap platters too.

How big is your cake? Are you thinking finger serve or a more substantial slice? If the latter then you're probably going to need 2 or 3 cakes.

We'll get back here around 11:30 or so, and I was going to serve the sandwiches at around 12 or just after, so hopefully the 2 platters will be enough - it's only for half an hour when we get back...

Cake will be just a small serving each.  Maybe I should do another dessert too like a cheesecake or something...

QUOTE (fooiesmum @ 13/01/2013, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hot food is always hard unless you have someone dedicated to the kitchen, ie oven needs to pre heat, you have to watch then or they burn, they are hot to serve - need plates or serviette, need sauce which can easily spill........

Drinks - individual juice, mineral water, still water, soft drink is easy - in tubs on ice with straws, no cups required.  original.gif

the hot food is no problem - have my MIL staying, she'll do that stuff inside for me.

Good thinking on the drinks!!  Will grab a heap of different soft drinks and stick them in a big esky full of ice!  I like it!!

#11 oNeLoVe

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

i might do cupcakes too then.  That way I can serve the cupcakes on a cupcake tier thingy plus cut up the cake and put on plates.  People can have what they want then original.gif

#12 GeminiSix

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

We have got DD's baptism/birthday coming up in 2 weeks.  Baptism is at midday so by the time people get back to the house, they will be hungry for lunch.  

I have got 4 friends doing salads.  The day before I will glaze and bake a ham that I bought at Christmas time, and also bake some chicken breast roll thingies.  Once these are cooled, I will slice and put them onto platters and into the fridge ready for the next day.

DH will go and collect dinner rolls and ice in the morning, put the drinks in the esky's etc.

So when we get back from church, I will whip out the platters of meat and friends will arrive with the salads and put straight onto the table.  The main buffet area will already be set with rolls, condiments, plates and cutlery etc..  I'm using plastic - I don't have 60 normal plates and sets of cutlery, plus would rather spend the time catching up with people than washing dishes!

Dessert will be an ice-cream station plus the cake.

People will have to eat on their laps, we will have a marquee outside with some tables so some can sit there.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.