Toilet Training Woes - Me Vs DH

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gone-Country

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'm turning to EB for help.

DS will be 3 on Friday. He is my 3rd child and is such a different child than my girls were at his age. He is so head strong and stubborn (like his father mother!).

My MIL and DH are adamant that he is ready to toilet train. I've had a lot of people asking me if he is TT given his age. I offer the potty and the toilet. Sometimes he will sit, most of the time he yells that he doesn't want to. We have recently done a few days of him in undies but he just wets them.  He doesn't really care.

I don't know if I should keep pushing it, he is getting angry and upset at being asked all the time 'do you need to go to the toilet' and ends up either in tears of screaming at us, which in turn is making the whole toilet training thing an unpleasurable thing for us all.

So, mothers of boys, do I keep pushing? Or do I wait another month and try again?

He CAN go on the potty or toilet, he has done, but he never asks to.

Any help and tips MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ~ppp~

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

-

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 01 March 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#3 *mylittleprince*

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

At 3 I would definately start training but you need to be consistent. Can't sometimes offer it and othertimes not. Decide when you are both ready and do it. Take away all nappies (maybe keep the night one) and talk about being a big boy, wearing big boy undies like daddy, etc. Good luck!

#4 melaine

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I had a very stubborn boy who I knew COULD wee and poo on the toilet (had done so) but just refused to even sit down on the toilet or potty.

Finding his currency worked for him. Once  I managed to get him to sit he got a reward for sitting, we quickly moved to reward for doing a wee, then because he wouldn't ask to go I switched the rewards to only if he asked to go and did a wee.

Anyway, he was the same age as your boy and being persistent paid off. He got it quite quickly once we got past the stubbornness!

#5 Frau Farbissina

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

DS2 has just turned 3. He's still in nappies. I offer the potty and the toilet. Sometimes he willingly sits but nothing happens. I am about to try undies and see how he goes. I guess you keep trying for as long as you feel like you have some sort of willingness from the child. If it starts causing upsets and so on, I'd drop it for a few weeks and try again later.

With DS 1, he was still 2 when we started toilet training. I got DH to show him how to wee on a tree and boy that was exciting! He was a bit more interested in the whole thing than DS2 is. He also prefered to stand (on a step) and wee than sit. A sticker chart helped (must get on to that for DS2) Once he'd filled up a row (I think it was 8 or 10 stickers) he'd get a little surprise. Once the whole sheet filled up he got something bigger (I think at the time it was a ride with me on the bus). From memory, it didn't seem to take too long (Like a month or 2 , not a week). Now getting number 2's on the toilet took a lot longer, and a large bribe (Big garbage truck) was the carrot we dangled to entice him to do it. It took a long time though. I think by the time he was about 3 and a half he finally got it.

As you probably already know having TT'd your other kids, lots of praise, never get angry about accidents and back off  for a few weeks when it all gets too much. I have heard that boys take longer than girls to TT but I don't know if this is really the case or not.
Good luck!

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I think your parents and DH need to respect the fact that your son is not the same as your DD's. He will train when he is ready and not just because they think he should be.
If he knows where the potty is and what it is for then he will get it in his time. I think you risk causing more issues by constantly asking and nagging him if he wants the potty. If he is getting upset then I think you need to back off and try again later.
He is still young in terms of TTing.
Good luck

#7 mumandboys

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I agree with STBG, although I do understand that there seems to be a stigma attached to having a 3 year old who is still in nappies.

My third by TT'd in a couple of weeks, when he was 3yrs 8months.  Prior to that, he just didn't want to (and has a stubborn streak so any pushing just resulted in anger/frustration).

Before we went to undies, I would just sit him on the toilet every day before bath, and then I would ask him when changing the first nappy of the day, if he'd like to go and do a wee on the toilet.  He always said "no" to that, and I always said "ok".  We did that every single day for about 6 months, and then finally one day, he said yes.  And I took that as a green light - it was only a couple of weeks from there and he was fully TT.

It's different for every child, and I think the best thing you can do is let them lead.  Remind yourself that it's quite a challenge, for them to switch from going whenever and wherever they want, to having to get to the toilet and get their clothes off before anything starts.  

My DS4 is 2.5, and not really interested in TT yet, although I know he has the knowledge.  He'll do wee and sometimes poo before bath every day, but that's about it.  Every now and then we put him in undies of a morning, he always wets them but doesn't get upset.  I just give him a nappy and then we try again a week later.

I suspect his daycare will put pressure on me this year to train him, but I'm going to wait for his cues, and everyone who doesn't like it can just deal with it original.gif

Good luck OP!

#8 namie

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

We're in the process of toilet training DS1 now and it's going well I think. He's 3.3yrs and was ready for big boy undies. It has helped that since the holidays a lot of his friends at daycare are now wearing 'big boy undies' rather than nappy pants and they go together.

He's been wearing undies every day now for about 2.5 weeks and generally remembers to go on his own. The first few days there were a few puddles but he'd often run to the loo after discovering one and found he still had more to do. Now there are no puddles, thank goodness!

He's having issues with poos and gets quite upset when he goes in his undies as he wees at the same time, but he just can't fathom sitting on the toilet yet. I think I may need to start the reward system - just need to work out his 'currency'!

I found that putting the responsibility on him worked better than me reminding him. So, instead of asking 'Do you need to go?' which got him all defensive, I'd just say a light-hearted 'Don't forget to do a wee when you need to'. It also helped to remind him that sometimes his penis could be full of wee (something he said the first time he recognised he needed to go, lol!) and that he needed to empty the wee every so often.

#9 Chelara

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

We had a stubborn girl who could but just didnt want to toilet train. What helped for us was #1 just not buying any more nappies (we did a pull up at night)  we told her we weren't buying any more.

#2 going out in those first few days, ie restaurants and shopping. She liked to use shopping centre toilets (especially the kids ones) and did not like to wet her pants in public.

#3 talking about her friends who were toilet trained. She asked them herself about going to the toilet and that seemed to be the last push she needed,

Good luck, we tried and failed a lot of times (probably due to inconsistency) and once we'd all decided there'd be no more nappies it clicked.

#10 *lightning

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

If he's getting angry and crying, give it a break. He's only 3 and just because your DH thinks he should be TT doesn't mean he's ready.

My DS1 wasn't TT until 4 but my DD was 3 and she trained quickly.

It's not a compitition and your child shouldn't be pressured into TT. I found that one m&m after DS1 went to the toilet encouraged him and quickly changed this to thumbs up.

#11 Gone-Country

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thank you so much everyone. It's hard given I've done this twice before, but both girls trained quite easily. It's just my delightfully headstrong son that is digging in his heels.

I've taken a lot away from all your replies and am grateful for everyone that replied.  We will persevere with the suggesting and asking, but not pushing and certainly not forcing. I would like to wave goodbye to nappies by winter. We will see.

Thank you again!  It's ever so much appreciated.

Lisa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Why I don't breastfeed

The truth was, when it came to feeding my baby son, I didn't want to see milk coming from anywhere but the shops.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.