Magic Bullet Please?
For sleeping without a swaddle

19 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

DS still sleeps in a love to dream swaddle.

He is almost 11 months old.

He is a very "particular" sleeper and though he does sleep well, it is only when very strict conditions are met.

A big, big, big one is his swaddle.

He resisted earlier gentle attempts to release him from it. I bought the wrap where you can take one arm out, then the other. Does. Not. Work.

I tried wrapping him in a sheet and slowly loosening it. No way, Jose, he just busts out and crawls around the cot.

And... He screams. And screams. And screams. You put the wrap back on, and he is asleep within 5 minutes.

Today my darling son was awake from 8am til 4.30pm. He slept for 30 minutes in the car then was up til 8pm. I sh*t you not.

My main reasons for getting him out of the wrap are...
Pressure from others. At least I'm honest about this one.
He is physically outgrowing the largest size one. Doom is pending!
He is one in a month or so. One! I mean... When does it end?? At some point this is going to have to happen.

This kid is a really challenging sleeper in a lot of ways. The only way I could get him to sleep in a cot was by going to sleep school, and I've tried some responsive settling as taught there (when he was just under 6 months old) but it hasn't been very effective, I'm guessing because he is so different developmentally.

I keep thinking... I am screwed. I'm going to have to go back to sleep school to change this. I just have no idea what to do here.

Anyone got a magic bullet for me??

I'm pretty sure I can't keep doing what I am doing, babies need more than 30 minutes of crap sleep in a 12 hour period.

Eta. And he was getting so upset he was gagging to vomit- I picked him up right away and soothed him. Then went for the drive, where he slept a little.

Edited by Pooks_, 12 January 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#2 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I released DD from swaddling at just 4 and a bit months... What followed was a week or so of horrible sleep especially naps. I did it while at sleep school for various sleep issues and they had no magic bullet for this. Just told me I had to ride it out. It was avert long week but she adjusted and went back to sleeping as before. I don't know how you settle him now  it could you introduce something else to comfort him- a cot toy,patting ?

#3 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks divineM. He has his dummy, and I pat him until he is calm and relaxed and leave, returning as necessary.

I was worried someone would say I'd have to endure a tough week or so biggrin.gif but you're probably right.

#4 Liadan

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I had the same problem with my DD and her need to be swaddled. Have a look at sleepy wings.

It is just a comfort/routine thing, he will eventually grow out of it.

#5 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Liadan @ 12/01/2013, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had the same problem with my DD and her need to be swaddled. Have a look at sleepy wings.

It is just a comfort/routine thing, he will eventually grow out of it.

ohmy.gif Awesome!! Thanks!!

#6 tick

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Peke Moe worked wonders for us.  Transition to Peke Moe was fairly painless whereas all other attempts to do one arm out etc had been a disaster.

#7 Lokum

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I wouldn't worry that much. DS1 was swaddled until past 10 months and we only stopped because he was ready. I think he wanted to stop because we were o/s and it was so damn hot overnight.
We were using flat cot sheets to swaddle. There are other EBers who have wrapped for heaps longer, like maybe 18 months? Our kid was a mostly great sleeper, provided we followed his lead and met his rules (ie wrap, cuddle to sleep.) if something works now, I'd keep doing it until it doesn't!, for whatever reason.

#8 mummy.to.one

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

We would tuck DS in with a sheet so his arms were held down fairly tightly to begin with, he would eventually wriggle out but to start with he would settle with his arms down.

He also loved being swaddled.

#9 JaneDoe2010

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Regular Show @ 13/01/2013, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do know 'Magic Bullet' is the name for something else ??  wink.gif   biggrin.gif  ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 13/01/2013, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif      

I was thinking the exact same thing  dev (6).gif

Me too! I was bitterly disappointed to click on it and find it was in the "Sleeping" section. sad.gif

laugh.gif

#10 Escapin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

But what else DOES it meeeeeaaaaaan? I feel very left out of the joke now!

And to the OP, I have heard of people swaddling their kids in sheets, so they must have been more than just babies. If it works, i'd just keep doing it. No need to tell everyone either, just carry on.

#11 PigNewton

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

But what else DOES it meeeeeaaaaaan? I feel very left out of the joke now!

Let's just call it a battery operated self soother. For adults.

#12 Jenferal

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

lol redkris!

We all know how important it is to be able to self soothe!

#13 Chelly_M

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Being wrapped has become a strong sleep association for him, so you will need to teach him how to fall asleep again without it. I imagine it will be very hard to do, but if you persist, he will learn, eventually.
Just an idea ... Have you tried settling him on his tummy, unwrapped? We took our dd to sleep school when she was 12 months (which she failed) but they taught us to settle her on her tummy and pat her nappy loudly and shoosh. Just thinking, he might feel more secure on his tummy, he's old enough now.
However, if it were me, if he sleeps well wrapped and its not doing him any harm, I'd be inclined to leave it for now and try again in a few months, he might be ready then.

#14 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

See now when I hear magic bullet I think of those mini food processors that were on the infomercials for years. And no matter how desperate you are you should not put your child in a food processor.  wink.gif

In terms of the swaddling I eventually had to just to bare the sadness for a few days, but we had a whole host of sleep associations to break.

#15 JaneDoe2010

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (redkris @ 13/01/2013, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's just call it a battery operated self soother. For adults.

*snort*

#16 mandala

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

We stopped swaddling relatively late - 8 months - and it was a rough week at the time. It now seems like such a short time, though. I would guess that the transition would take longer for a 12 month old.

We had had a couple of attempts when DS was younger to get rid of his wrap and gave up. We only did it when we absolutely had to - when his sleep was getting worse with the wrap, because he was rolling onto his stomach and getting stuck and upset. That is the only reason I did it. I was quite prepared to be wrapping a two year old in a cot sheet! And if he still needed it when he was 12, and he could figure out how to wrap himself, I was all for that too original.gif

Our approach was to get rid of it one day for all sleeps, and use those sleep school responsive settling techniques.  We also introduced a comfort toy (in his case, a piece of his favourite wrapping sheet).  I wanted to keep as much of the sleep association that I could from the wrap.

The other thing that I took from sleep school was the torso wrap. If DS had had a few goes at trying to settle himself and was still struggling, I'd go in and wrap his torso and legs which was enough to distract him enough to relax. We then used the torso wrap again when DS started crawling and then standing in the cot. Like getting rid of the swaddle/wrap, it took about a week each time for DS to get used to sleeping again.

Have you tried calling the sleep school and asking for their advice? I found they were great when I had questions once I was home again.

Good luck.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I swaddled all my kids until they stopped wanting it.  DS2 is 17 months and right now is wrapped in a bunny rug and drinking some boobie milk before I pop him in his cot.  At 4yo, DD2 still wraps her doona around herself like a cocoon to sleep.

Use flat cotton cot sheets as bub gets bigger.  There's little merit to being harsh with a baby.

#18 CupcakeMumma

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Our last two were wrapped until 18 mths, we just bought wide muslin from spotlight and used that.  I have a pretty good way of wrapping and even now my 9 yo will wrap himself inside his sheet.

#19 melodypond

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

My only suggestion is a boring one - keep him in the wrap just a little bit longer?  Even just 3 - 4 weeks?  I did this with my second and after an attempt at 9 months failed (much the same result as you have found this time) bub transitioned really easily a month later - go figure!

We were using the Love to dream 50 / 50.  

Good luck. Ignore the people who pressure you - I did get sick of the amount of times I was told I was putting my baby in a strait jacket (among other things) - because of course cruelly restraining my baby is my number one desire!  mad.gif

#20 Feral_Pooks

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I hadn't heard that particular term before... Well, self soothing is the theme here!

Thanks everyone.

I have just been letting it go... Because it works! But people look at me like I have two heads if/when they realise he is still wrapped.

It's nice to know that DS and I aren't the only ones still loving the wraps.

And thanks for all of the tips to help with wrapping an older baby.

original.gif

I guess at some point it will stop!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.